[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of self insert characters if the people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: lyn face sad.png (27 KB, 133x135) Image search: [Google]
lyn face sad.png
27 KB, 133x135
What's the point of self insert characters if the people playing the game were still gonna self insert into a different one if they didn't exist?
>>
>>336062243
>self insert into a different one if they didn't exist?
It must be my headache, but run this by me one more time. Who did you self insert to that you weren't intended to in Fire Emblem?
>>
>>336062625
Probably the main lord.
Take Robin out of awakening and people would have self inserted as Chrom, for example.
Better yet, take harvest moon and Rune factory.
Harvest moon has blank slate character for the player to project themselves as, while Rune factory gives them a personality and even a canon wife most times. This doesn't stop people from self inserting as Woolieman.
>>
>>336062243
What's the point of your dick if you're never gonna insert it into anything? lmbo
>>
is it wrong to play mirrors edge and self insert as faith

i want to be a cute oriental girl sometimes
>>
>>336063108
>Take Robin out of awakening and people would have self inserted as Chrom, for example.
Huh, I didn't realize that was that common. For me when the MU isn't present in a game, I tend to not self-insert on a character. But that's just me. The characters feel too distinct for me to do that anyway, and this is really a problem with the current MU for me. They feel way too distinct.
>>
>>336063382
It's common enough for there to be a demand.
>>
>>336062243
Lyn was a tutorial lord, she was made just for the west. I don't think she was self insert.

I do agree the MU gimmick is getting kind old though...
>>
>>336063740
Lyn isn't the self insert, it's the person who's POV that image is from.
Mark, the tactician
>>
I don't like self-insert characters because it's just writers being too lazy or incompetent to write a genuinely interesting character the player would want to follow.
>>
>>336063740
Of course she wasn't, because Mark/The Tactician was in that game.
>getting kind of old though
A lot of people feel this way, especially since it seems like the writing is continuing to decline.
>>
>>336063382
Issue with the self-insert lord is that there are zero choices in the game. Robin was generic enough to imprint a personality and there's more story choices in awakening, despite not mattering, than in fates.

Fate's story could have been great if valla was removed and they gave you choices that would effect the ending like performing too many evil actions with nohr ends up with you killing everyone to take the throne. Azura could kinda be like Bastilla in kotor where you either kill her or convince her to join you.

Another thing they could of done is to make the stories converge at the endgame. For example, you choose who to side with, spend 20-25 chapters fighting for your side, then 10 chapters fighting through valla.
>>
Games/shows with self-insert characters often exist and pander to autists, and autists are incapable of empathy.
>>
>>336064742
Valla is so bad, I don't know why they thought it was passable. The DLCs dont' help either.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 194x268) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 194x268
I wish the self insert would go back to being like Mark in FE7. Meaning sometimes addressed by the characters and treated like the tactician of the army but not some super special chosen child of destiny who everyone lines up to suck their dick.
>>
>>336065072
meanwhile in Xenoblade X, they did a self insert character and everyone is mad that they aren't treated like a special chosen child of destiny with very little involvement with the plot.

Can't win them all.
>>
>>336062243
Because of streetpass/spotpass funcionality, mostly. It doesn't hurt to have some customization with all those tiny interactions with other players.
>>
>>336062243

I like to customize characters (and it's getting to be a popular "default" feature), but it would be nice if it wasn't the MC in Fire Emblem's case.

Like maybe take a page from Nergal's book and let you just slap a customizable morph/homunculus into that shit.

>>336064742

This would have been great and also would have made it much easier to swallow the "NO KILLING GUYS OMG" aspect of Conq. I hate that I really like nearly all of the Fates cast (design wise--personality wise it's more like 50%), because oh my god everything in that game was so fucking stupid. Missed potential makes me more upset than just a plain ol' bad game ever will.
>>
I'm still mad that lyn is still an assist trophy.
>>
>>336065242
Slightly different situation there, XBX suffers from a lack of solid plot direction in general, the immaterial self insert is more of a symptom of a bigger problem than being the problem itself.

If they did do a return to a sidelined self insert character they'd still likely let you waifu everyone, which I really don't think is the main problem with the self insert as is so I wouldn't have a huge problem with that. Just as long as the whole fucking plot of the game doesn't get derailed and/or center around your character.
>>
>>336065860
If anybody from FE7 should be playable it's Hector, Lyn is shit and baby's first waifu.
>>
>>336065242

Wait, is that really a common complaint?

I thought it was great that you are just a grunt (who gets renown as the game progresses) and Elma/Lin/Lao are kind of the hotshots everybody lines up to fellate.

>>336065925

XBX just felt like it was laying the groundwork for something bigger, with the implication that if it doesn't sell that well the "something bigger" will never see the light of day.

I mean, loved the game and bought a Wii U specifically for it, but that doesn't make it immune to critique.
>>
>>336066057
>baby's first waifu

When will this meme end? I always wanted her swordplay in smash, none of the FE lords come even close.

Hector is cool but sadly he's not as asked for if you compare him to Lyn.
>>
>>336066174
>Wait, is that really a common complaint?
This wouldn't surprise me, Nips are faggots that like to feel special because of their lives and social structure being such that they're essentially one of a million matching gears.
>>
>>336065925
Fire emblem still suffers from a solid plot direction. Even though it's using the same formulaic story for the last 14 games, it wonders around a lot that you just don't really care about the plot in general. I don't think many people even cared about flora dying at all in birthright. Majority just laughed it off because of how terribly executed and out of focus it was.

I can't recall ever caring about the story other than FE4 and FE9.

>>336066174
>Wait, is that really a common complaint?
it surprisingly was. Because of the different direction they wanted to implement with the game, People who played a lot of the original XB expected the same exact muh epic 7 party members i love story.
>>
>>336066453
I actually think FE7's plot is decent, especially once you learn that Nergal was Ninian and Nils' father and initially started seeking power in order to try and save their mother, but the DARKNESS wound up eating his soul and he forgot everything until right before he died.

Plus the fact that the whole game is more or less a guerrilla operation instead of a formal war.
>>
>>336066453
>I don't think many people even cared about flora dying at all in birthright.
I didn't at all, to me it came out of nowhere. Actually now that I think about it a lot of the plot deaths in Fates, seemed to come out of nowhere and happened to characters that you don't get a chance to care about. Kaze, not withstanding though he still seemed a bit plot deficient up until that choice
>>
File: 1458096903061.png (162 KB, 284x346) Image search: [Google]
1458096903061.png
162 KB, 284x346
>>336062243
Not me, I could never understand that shit, not even when I was pre-teen.
When I was playing 7, I tend to forget about that tactican is a character. With Awakening and Fates, I just let it as original design and name (Kamui is better than Corring though)

Same in >>336063108 I knew since the very begining that default name for HM protag was Jack (until Island of Happiness I think) so I always picked that one. Waifus is an appart thing though
I think the only game from this series that I choose a different name was in RF3 because I thought that its name was really shit
>>
>>336066676
I want more Gaiden chapters like that. Though fuck having to grind Nils.
>>
>>336066893
Grinding Nils wasn't the hard part; it was being able to actually kill Kishuna in the Gaiden previous to the super secret one.
>>
>>336062243
Reminder that Lyn started the waifus trend and was the beginning of the end for FE
Why is there so little guro of her?
>>
>>336066057

Lyn a CUTE

But yeah Hector should get it just by virtue having an axe instead of a sword.

But really there are already a lot of FE characters in Smash--I think the only way they'd go back in an IP is if one of them got a "facelift" to dating sim FE (which, given how 6 and 7 are, could actually be pulled off without too much trouble).

>>336066676

FE7 is still my favorite but that is because it is entirely a character driven love (Ostia crew best crew). Having your spoiler locked lore found in chapters with obtuse opening requirements didn't help it at all. There's some effort post floating around that completely lambastes all of the plot points that is kind of worth reading.

>>336066893

Only if gaidens are accessible by requirements like "clear this map by doing [x] instead of killing everybody" because fuck grinding Nils/keeping your lords levels at a certain point/KILLING THAT FAGGOT MORPH WITH THE ANTIMAGIC ZONE BEFORE HE FUCKS OFF OH MY GOD
>>
File: carlton-banks.jpg (17 KB, 192x240) Image search: [Google]
carlton-banks.jpg
17 KB, 192x240
>>336067154
>Lyn started the waifus trend
>can't marry her
>>
>>336067146
I didn't say it was hard, I thought that it was extremely tedious.
>>336067197
Kishuna is the best yet worst character because of that fuckery.
>>
>>336067197
>There's some effort post floating around that completely lambastes all of the plot points that is kind of worth reading.
If you're talking about the one I think you are, there's a rebuttal to it that I think is also worth reading.
>>
>>336067197
FE7 is my favorite non-Tellius FE because of Becky. That fucking grinning portrait staring back at me as she gets 29 fucking speed and becomes literally untouchable.

Also Oswin being the best armor knight in the whole series Jesus Christ what were they thinking giving you somebody that good on pretty much the first actual chapter of the game.
>>
>>336066174

I actually really like how XBX handles the self insert. In the main story you're nothing more than a grunt that just happens to end up in the most prominent Blade team due to circumstance, while in the sidequests, which are more personal and actually relevant to the self insert, you're treated as a hotshot the further the sidequests and stories progress as opposed to a grunt like in the 12 story chapters.
>>
>>336067360
>Kishuna is the best yet worst character because of that fuckery.

Yeah. I played FE7 in a time where I didn't really know about internet guides and the only reason I ever stumbled across those gaiden chapters was specifically because I tailored a whole hardmode game (paladining sain in lyn mode, having serra at 20 ready to promote with the first seal, milking out all xp, etc) into a "I'm going to kill that guy just to see what happens" run--since doing all of that required Nils to be grinded as well, I almost want to say he was planned to be that infuriating.

>>336067442

It probably is. You got a link? I'm unsure of what to google.
>>
>>336068195
Actually I believe there are two/more than one, but here's one of them.
https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/2slize/detailed_response_to_the_infamous_quintessence/
>>
>>336068345

Thanks anon.

Personally I think all of FE7's frayed threads can be fixed just by making the game longer/keeping your not-lords more plot relevant with this new content, but then again doing that would enrich every FE in some way IMO.
>>
>>336067503
Oswin sucks dude.
>>
File: comic299.png (205 KB, 650x994) Image search: [Google]
comic299.png
205 KB, 650x994
>>336066057

It'd hardly be fair to the other player if he had to face Hector.
>>
>>336070272
Are you out of your fucking mind? Oswin's a goddamn beast and requires zero favoring to make that way.
>>
>>336070495
Eh, Ike is even more ridiculously overpowered than Hector in-universe.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.