[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone else noticed the enemy trend in FPS nowadays? Enemies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: doomguy.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
doomguy.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
Has anyone else noticed the enemy trend in FPS nowadays? Enemies are all very samey, some just have more health (usually with a heavier weapon).

What happened to FPS enemies of old like in Doom? They all attack very differently and are highly stylized to differentiate between each other. You would never mistake an Imp for a Hellknight and you would never treat them equally in terms of who to kill first.

Or like in Serious Sam. Is there anyone that would treat a Kamikaze AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH like a Kleer?

There are exceptions of course, like the various special zombies in Dying Light or in Left 4 Dead. But for the most part FPS today is just slaying waves of grunts with the exact same attack and defend patterns.
>>
Your post is dumb and has been outdated for almost a decade now.
>>
1. people buy casual FPS crap
2. developers realize they can make casual FPS crap

I blame Hal, COD, and console peasants
>>
>>336056948
He's right tho
>>
>>336056783
the "realistic" "modern shooter" trend got stuck on repeat.

Both enemies AND weapons are all the same:
dudes shooting guns at you, and bullet hoses of different sizes.
At the same time, the maps are linear, scripted, and restricted, all for the sake of "muh cinematic experience".
>>
>>336056783
One thing I like most about the enemies is Doom (besides the variety) is how they shoot projectiles rather than hitscans, and how they vary
Imp shoots fireball, mancubus shoots 2 fireballs that you can fit between, revenant homes

The archvile is cool too because it's not projectile, but you can avoid it by by having any small obstacle in between you and him.

You can also see when they're gonna shoot at you
>>
>>336056783
>trend
You say that as though older games generally had great enemy designs as well. Tbqhwyf, Doom still has the best enemy designs of any shooter, even other games during that time don't really compare to Doom, such as Duke, Blood, Heretic, Strife, etc. People just don't seem to understand that having a variety of vastly different enemies with properties that mix up how you have to go about the fight, a lot of which are projectile-based makes for good gameplay in a shooter.
>>
File: commando.gif (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
commando.gif
6 KB, 200x200
>>336057865
>is how they shoot projectiles rather than hitscans
>>
>>336060391
Wow, one (well, 3) enemy, you sure showed me and disregarded my entire post.
>>
>>336060524
I'm glad you are reconsidering your life over this.
>>
>>336060729
Ironic.
Pathetic and ironic.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.