[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone recommend me some games like space station 13 or dwarf
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: ss13.png (627 KB, 1280x926) Image search: [Google]
ss13.png
627 KB, 1280x926
Can anyone recommend me some games like space station 13 or dwarf fortress? Roguelike game preferred multiplayer doesnt have to be sci fi based
>>
MUSH

http://mush.twinoid.com/
>>
>>336054201
DF-Like: Gnomoria, the only one that does a decent job of complexity (nowhere NEAR as deep though, but better than all other DF-likes out there, and better interface/graphics.

You might want to look into HellMOO too. Purely text/ascii, much like DF, but obscenely free/open-ended. Just beware that I didn't just jokingly use the term "obscenely" before... you start out as a 10 year old, then 13, then age naturally, and start in an orphanage, and they have a fully functional (and mostly optional) sex and needs system.
>>
>>336055568
>Mush
What the fuck am I looking at?
>>
If you want a DF Lite with some sci-fi and lots of mods check RimWorld out. Not on steam yet but you can get it off their website.

Also, yes it looks like Prison Architect. The devs asked the Prison Architect guys if it was OK and they said yes.
>>
File: 1458513934606.jpg (74 KB, 599x563) Image search: [Google]
1458513934606.jpg
74 KB, 599x563
>>336054201
>we will never ever get a standalone ss13 without the shitty lag-inducing BYOND client
>>
>>336056896

BYOND has actually been receiving updates just recently. Particularly they've added lots of new features, optimized shit (with more to come) and fixed lots of stuff.

It'd take a while, but if SS13 was modernized to make use of some of the new features BYOND has now, it'd not only look better, but run better too.
>>
>>336056896
>>336057464
People are trying, but SS13 is an oddity. The person who uploaded it didn't actually MAKE the game. They stole someone's USB drive somewhere in Russia or Ukraine or something, uploaded it, and yet didn't toss the source code in. So while people were able to fenagle some new features in, basic stuff like temperature and oxygen and shit can't be touched or directly fixed. It's tied to BYOND.

So, basically, they'd have to track down the guy who made it in person, then hope he had the source code still. That, or find a coding genius to rip the game apart and remake it in another engine.
>>
File: 1458962576052.png (58 KB, 1046x586) Image search: [Google]
1458962576052.png
58 KB, 1046x586
>>336056896
Tech-complaint is looking alright. Like, it might actually get done. https://www.reddit.com/r/techcompliant/

>Banned for posting reddit
>>
>>336057582

BYOND has had decompilers for ages if you know where to look. Not only that, but the original source code for SS13 has been publicly available for years now. Even I've downloaded it before and I can say that a lot of the reason it runs like ass is because it's coded like ass.
>>
>>336055568
>5
So it's...
>SS13
>But the only real baddie outside random alien attacks that could fuck the shit is a fucking Fungal Demon
And
>Slowed the fuck down cause you only get so many actions every 3 hours
That uh... That's a thing.
>>
>>336057803
All I know is that people are trying but they can't get to the real meat of the code because the creator didn't actually upload it, and doesn't know it exists.
>>
File: 1351400503004.jpg (9 KB, 385x295) Image search: [Google]
1351400503004.jpg
9 KB, 385x295
>>336056896
>the attempts at this are always 3D SPESS STAYSHUN 13 IN SPESS~~~~~!!!!@!@!!!!!!11!!11111111111oneone!!11one1 THIS IS THE GAME OF TEH CERNTURY

>it's always our typical coders
>said typical coders always rip each other's throats out, because most of the SS13 coders excluding a few certain general's coders have their heads so far up their own asses that they can see their rotten souls

>nothing gets done, and if it did it would've been a hollow turd, anyway

Lag will forever be a FEATURE.
>>
>>336058108

Whoever told you that is full of shit. The creator himself uploaded the source code.

What people might not have access to is the BYOND source code. But BYOND and SS13 are two different things.
>>
>>336059158
Oh, yeah, I'm mistaken. It's BYOND's source code that's unknowable and fucked.
>>
>>336059241

BYOND is just a tool used to make games. It is still in active development. It's pretty unreasonable for the people who work on SS13 to expect to be given access to it's source code.
>>
Why do games that try to replicate SS13's formula always fail? I mean not one fucking decent complete game has come of it.
>>
>>336056896
The problem is not BYOND, the problem is years of shitty coders.
>>
>>336059537
Lack of motivation small dev team small community
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.