[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RTS Genre, Will we see a comeback?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11
File: age-of-empires-ii-14.jpg.cf.jpg (59 KB, 533x399) Image search: [Google]
age-of-empires-ii-14.jpg.cf.jpg
59 KB, 533x399
Age Of Empires I/II, Warcraft II/III, Stacraft: Brood War, Age of Mythology, C&C series

These are some of the best games ever made, is there a markespace for Modern RTS, or is the current audience just too dumb?

I understand that a big barrier is the fact that people realized how high skill ceilling is in these kinds of games compared to some others leading to more streamlined games like MOBAs that are essentially watered down RTS, skill akd strategy wise.

Soo /v/ are we going to see anyone except for Blizzard make RTS games in the next few years?
>>
The RTS genre is not as popular as it use to be.

MOBAs have a big influence on the market and it seems that marketplace demands dota clones.

Right now age of empires 2 has a community that is coming out of the works on voobly and steam.
>>
File: c0cYt.jpg (425 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
c0cYt.jpg
425 KB, 1366x768
>>336028648
To this day, I think Brood War might be the most skill intensive game ever created.

It makes things like League of Legends laughable in comparison when it comes to skill requirement.
>>
Nah it won't be revived until 2027
>>
I've been trying to skirmish against the AI in CoH2 but it keeps kicking my ass.

Is doing 2v2 not recommended for learining? I feel like my AI partner doesn't do jack.
>>
Truth be told, I don't even really mnd if they never make a comback -- the classics have lost absolutely none of their playability, and the isometric aesthetics have aged beautifully imho.
>>
File: debloblo 2.webm (1 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
debloblo 2.webm
1 MB, 960x540
>>336029640
>ai
>kicking your ass

Just matchmake. What's the worst that could happen?
>>
>>336028969
But how do we know that there is no marketplace when literally NO ONE makes high budget RTS except for Blizzard, and Stacraft II seems to be doing fine.

Browsing forums, it seems like soo many of us literally grew up on these games.

The younger generation might be a problem, as they've probably never played an RTS in their life, but a large part of that is the fact that nobody made RTS for the last 10 years for no good apparent reason.

I don't remember a string of failures, I just remember a sudden drought of RTS.

What happened to Age of Empires? The studio just disappeared. Age of Empire 3 wasn't a phenomenal game, but I always hoped AoE 4 was made and the franchise would be redeemed, yet it just disappeared.

An HD re-release is fine and dandy, but I need more RTS releases.
>>
>>336029950

I pirated it.
>>
File: clash.jpg (134 KB, 506x900) Image search: [Google]
clash.jpg
134 KB, 506x900
Clash Royale is the best RTS to come out recently, and it's really popular. Stop this "RTS is dead" shitposting, it's clearly doing just fine.
>>
File: huckabee.gif (2 MB, 480x262) Image search: [Google]
huckabee.gif
2 MB, 480x262
>>336030053
>I pirated it
>>
We get Battlefleet Gothic Armada like a week a go, it's great.
>>
>>336030180
I know, right? How does he even sleep at night?
>>
I'd like to see endwar come back
>>
>>336029640
Just buck up lad, or I can wingman for you.
>>
>>336030165
You're the one shitposting
>thinking that shit heap of game designed to jew the fuck out of players is good for the rts genre
>>
>>336030305
Heh you're probably trash kid. I don't play with shitters.
>>
>play rise of nations
>awful ui and controls
>do tutorial
>AI tells you to only do peaceful buildings
>king montezumanigger sends 500 archers randomly and rapes you
>your spearmen have such shit pathing it takes 20 seconds to hit someone 2 inches away because of garbage ai and insanely bad melee animations

fuck that game.
>>
File: 1426971704456.jpg (28 KB, 459x278) Image search: [Google]
1426971704456.jpg
28 KB, 459x278
>>336030489
>lose against the AI
>calling me shit
>>
>>336030181

Haven't played it.

Does it have base building elements and macro management?

That's what I find most essential in my RTS experience, I understand some people prefer Micro/control heavy RTS, but I prefer the ones with heavy basebuilding elements.
>>
>>336030165
GTFO that's not an RTS.
>>
>>336029273

Nah, if it was the most skill intensive game ever, it wouldn't be that popular.
Stuff that's really tough like ys or touhou automatically scares off 90% of all players.
>>
>>336030926

No basebuilding, it's a ship combat game.
>>
File: 1450426218342.jpg (275 KB, 763x960) Image search: [Google]
1450426218342.jpg
275 KB, 763x960
>>336030782
>people on /v/
>good at any game ever
>especially rts

Top banter m8. I've never encountered a single good player from /v/. I know you're shit because you're offering to play with a random. Only a shitter would do that.
>>
>>336031214
Actually its just because CoH 2 takes years to load for me so people just drop before I load into a match.
>>
>>336028648
RTS are alive and well in the MOBA genre.
>>
Thank E-sports for the death of the RTS.
>>
>>336031308
Don't play on a toaster then, kiddo.
>>
>>336031145
Ahh okay :-/

Not my brand of tea then. I completely respect people who play these kinds of games, but what I love about RTS is the empire building.

I remember a large part of why I disliked AoE 3 was that it was more limited in base building, predesignated building spots, tower limits, janky walls...

To my knowledge there haven't been any really good RTS with base building elements save for SCII
>>
>>336031550
I'm not and it only happens for Relic games.
>>
>>336031414

Yeah, no... Controlling 1 unit is hardly strategic, compares to controlling hundreds and having to manage your base.

>>336031373

Why? Brood War was literally the first serious E-Sport, and one of the originator of professional E-Sports (Alongside CS). I don't see why RTS wouldn't work in an E-Sports environment, it worked just fine in South Korea for 15 years.
>>
>>336031705
>but what I love about RTS is the empire building.
Then why not play a grand strat or simcity?
>>
>>336032271

I just love the fact that it's real time. It adds a skill factor.

Don't get me wrong I love Total War and Civ, but those are still wildly different games.

I love the appeal of being able to place every building whereever I want, and use every single unit however I want and have it happen in real time.

I've been playing AoE since my childhood and while I love Civ and Total War, I just find the experience very different.

I don't think Sim games or Grand strategy is a replacement for Classic RTS.

TLDR: I enjoy the combination of both these elements in real time, both the army management and the base/economy management, not one or the other exclusively.
>>
File: 1447174197130.jpg (431 KB, 850x592) Image search: [Google]
1447174197130.jpg
431 KB, 850x592
>>336028648
Why do you want revival of these RTSes with stale-ass combat that hardly differ from one another?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXlG8XvIr0k

Would love to see the revival of a game like Horde 2 and other slav RTS.
>>
>>336028969
>as it use to be.
*As it used to be.
>>336029273
>Broodwar
>Quake Arena
>SFV
What are some other games with high skill ceilings /v/?
>>
>>336031097
You do everything in real time, how is it not? You buy units, kill other units, kill structures, it has everything other RTSs have without the long games.
>>
>>336031705
Rise of Nations Gold. Great amount of complexity and still has an online community to this day, despite being pretty fucking old.

The base building is really indepth, moreso than AoE. You can build farms, castles, Senates, libraries, forts, antiair, walls, Wonders, granaries, oil wells, refineries, lumber camps, cities, airbases, nuke silos, seaports, infantry camps, cavalry camps, etc
>>
>>336033253
>Without having the long games

So its a shit RTS if anything, but really, its not an RTS, its mobile garbage.
>>
File: 9.73- MAP CLEAR HYPE.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
9.73- MAP CLEAR HYPE.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>336033056
Uhm, I'm gonna get a shitton of flak for this but...
>>
>>336033253
It's League of Legends tier "pay to not wait for viable units", which translates essentially into PayToWin, the opposite of strategy. Assuming your post isn't bait.
>>
>>336033525
Well that is based on skill, not on luck like in LoL and Dota. (despite I don't know what he's playing, some gookclicker game)
>>
i still have no idea why these games disappeared from the mainstream

since the collapse of westwood and ensemble, it seems like there hasn't been another big-budget, mainstream developer of RTS

and it's not like nobody would buy them - age of empires II HD sold 3 million copies on steam, hell, fucking AOE3 sold 1.5 million. it's not like nobody wants to make them, given the number of kickstarters we've seen from old-school RTS devs

similar genres, like real time tactics, and turn-based strategy, are arguably doing better now than they ever have been

and yet, there are none. i don't understand.
>>
>>336028648
>Soo /v/ are we going to see anyone except for Blizzard make RTS games in the next few years?
No. RTS is dead.

Masses are all on MOBAs and FPS games.

RTS fans are too busy playing eighteen year old games because they lose their shit if an RTS isn't almost exactly like their favorite classics.

And the games were never about strategy, they were about rock-paper-scissors match ups and whoever has the best APM.

It's dead, just accept it.
>>
>>336033468
I'll take a look at it, any attempt at a decent classic-esque RTS deserves my attention.
>>
>>336033525
Most rythm games take skill regardless, almost all of them have a high skill ceiling. Those don't count.
>>
>>336034062
I agree with you that a AAA RTS coming out would have an audience, but there just seems to be more money in generic MMOs and F2P shit at the moment, so that's where devs are heading

the ones that have come out so far have failed due to lack of advertising and I think that's scared off developers a bit too
>>
>>336034062
Because there aren't many AAA publishers willing to do RTS games.

You got blizzard, and thats it, and we're never going to get Warcraft 4, and I wouldn't want warcraft 4 if it takes them 10 years to actually finish it
>>
>>336028648

RTS is dead because even the most basic strategy games require a properly functioning frontal lobe

Something a large portion of modern gaymers clearly lack

Why make a game in which you have to macro and micro manage soldiers if you can make a game about the "DELTA TANGO BRODUDE DOWN H4XOR TANK MILITARY BROZUF" and get 10x the profit
>>
>>336034102

Have you played any RTS on a high level, strategy is very important, a lot of it is pre-game planning and fine-tunning your strategy and build order to adapt to meta game shifts and other popular BOs/strategies.

To someone who doesn't play it might seem like rock, paper scissors. And there is an aspect of it, but you'll find that in a good designed RTS that's really not as big a problem.

I do agree however that strategy is largely irrelevant if you don't have the basics down, It's a lot more productive to improve your mechanics than working on your strategy when you are a beginner, but when you come to the higher levels of play, the game becomes very strategic, HOWEVER most of the strategy comes in between games, not during games, this is what casual RTS players likw yourself don't understand.

It is much better to execute a well practiced, but less optimal strategy in a certain situation than doing something off the fly. The adaptations strategic adaptations are done gradually over many games, not during individual games.
>>
>>336034113
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeM1VtRWNE8

It's pretty sick, you might want to mute the video though because these guys' voices are irritating

Basically it's Age of Empires, but with more historical ages and a "territory" mechanic which is sort of like zerg creep from SC if it also did attrition. Very strategically deep
>>
>>336034494
>RTS is dead because it requires thinking
No it just requires mental fortitude. If you want to do anything beyond fighting an AI or messing around with friends the games just become a chore only a select few people like. Maintaining even a ecent level of APM for thirty minutes straight is just not fun, it's mentally exhausting.
>>
>>336034297
>>336034369

I think you guys underestimate the video game audience, I don't think they are too stupid/lazy to learn and play Classic RTS.
>>
>>336035124
I think you overestimate the video game audience.
>>
>>336035028

IMHO playing a 30 to 1 hour game of Brood war is one of the most catharsic things I've ever done in my life.

Maintaining my APM, surviving constant mech pushes, remacroing my army as a protoss. Trading our armies over the course of 10 battles...

It is true that losing will leave you pissed off, but winning such a game, that's an experience like no other.
>>
>>336035124
I never said that desu
>>
>>336035587

It's really hard to explain, but it's one of the most stressful and fun experiences I've ever had, and that's why I love it.

Especially that moment when something you've practised for 40 games finally click, and you roll over your opponent.

A stress free turn based environment is not quite the same.
>>
>>336035587
>>336036252
you have to realise though that you're fairly unique in this

most people don't play games like marathon runners run, they play games like couch potatoes watch tv

the industry is full of fucking casuals
>>
>>336035124

>underestimate the video game audience

Dude, /v/, or literally any internet gaming community is not a good indication of what the average gamer is like.

If you ever actually talked to irl people who considered themselves "gamers" you would find out that nowadays an average gamer is someone who buys 1-2 big name big hype AAA games (generally FPS games) a year at best and plays them a couple of hours a week. Maybe some mobile and/or f2p games on top of that.

"Average" implies that half of them are even more casual than that.

The absolute vast majority of the video game audience doesn't give two shits about strategy games or are even aware of their existence for that matter.
>>
>>336036536
ah "gamers", I remember when this phrase was uttered it would bring a smile to my face. Now it just straight up pisses me off.

If only gaming didn't become as big as it is today.
>>
>>336034494
This, most gamers nowadays also look for instant gratification rather than working hard and earning it.
>>
File: weffdght.png (150 KB, 272x285) Image search: [Google]
weffdght.png
150 KB, 272x285
>>336033958
>dota
>luck
>>
>>336039000
trips confirm
>>
>>336035016
Seems like smth I could enjoy.

Will check it out, does it have an active multiplayer scene?
>>
>>336036396
I don't think I am, I just think dumber and quicker games hijacked the gaming scene.

I think a lot of people might love RTS over FPS or other instant gratification games if they tried them and gave them a solid chance.
>>
>>336028648
I don't understand why they never tried one on the Wii U. Maybe they'll get a second chance if the NX is compatible with the tablet or if any next gen system finally integrates full KB+M support. No idea why the genre completely died in the early 2000s besides the fact that the advent of low poly 3D became all the rage and completely ruined the art style of the GOATs
>>
>>336032921
have you looked at Europa universalis? it is realtime.
>>
>>336040007
>X% chance to Y all over the place
>>
File: 256px-Freespace2box.jpg (24 KB, 256x317) Image search: [Google]
256px-Freespace2box.jpg
24 KB, 256x317
>>336042453
Which most don't. You think this generation is more open to videogames? I've seen alot of people scoff at my suggestion just because it was "old" or it didn't have "realistic graphics" or it isn't "triple A".

The amount of time I has to shill this shit out because they wanted something new only to throw it the fuck down.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.