[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the modern day equivalent to the Gamecast?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: 1349701262162.png (458 KB, 701x511) Image search: [Google]
1349701262162.png
458 KB, 701x511
What is the modern day equivalent to the Gamecast?
>>
Nothing
>inb4:someone say the vita or wiiu
>>
>>336015229
There isnt one.

the Dreamcast had amazing games
todays consoles dont really have any apart from sloppy pc ports
the original xbox?
>>
Wii U, obviously.
>Launched too early
>No dev support
>Even has the gimmicky controller screen
Only thing it's missing is the mass piracy.
>>
>>336015229
So a death knell for a company's first party console development? Nothing. WiiU could come close according to some, but since good or bad the NX is already planned and on the way it doesn't count
>>
>>336015430
>Launched too early

except the wii was 6 years old by the time the wii u was out
>>
why are VGA cables for the gamecast so hard to find?
>>
nothing the dreamcast was segas last desperate attempt to survive the console market. unless sony actually goes bankrupt the ps4 could be it
>>
>>336015630
By too early I mean they launched it before Nintendo knew what the PS4/Xbone were capable of so made a terribly underpowered console. Kind of similar to how the Dreamcast didn't stack up to it's competition ie. no DVD etc.

Or you could argue the Wii U launched too late and the NX should have been released by now.
>>
>>336015430
I think the name of the system was a problem.. people don't even realize it's a new nintendo system, just think it's something to do with the wii
>>
>If the Dreamcast had come out in 2001 like every other console, it would've had SEGA NAOMI2 hardware instead of NAOMI1 hardware
>it would've not only been stronger than the PS2, but the strongest console on the market

I'm not mad.
I'M MAD.
>>
>>336016001
Going with that name and then showcasing only the controller really didn't help.
Kind of ironic how with the Wii they showed off the console long before the Wiimote was revealed.
>>
File: segaa.jpg (87 KB, 600x842) Image search: [Google]
segaa.jpg
87 KB, 600x842
>>336016089
even if that had happened sega would still have found a way to fuck it up
>>
>>336016089
Sega would have sank before they made it to 2001.

The dreamcast actually DID turn a profit, it just wasn't enough to save them.
>>
Dreamcast was one of those few consoles that had more good games than bad
>>
>>336016358
>posts a stack that wouldn't work
ebinnn
>>
>>336016089
It would have still died because of nogames.
>>
>>336016089
they were dying already, the dreamcast sold really well until the ps2 announcement and the promise of toy story graphics killed it overnight with its emotion engine chip
>>
File: SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg (932 KB, 1530x1530) Image search: [Google]
SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg
932 KB, 1530x1530
seeing the ps2 sell like hot shit even though it was marketed as a dvd player first and a gaming console second while the dreamcast started fading off is when i knew gaming was dead
>>
>>336016089
REEEEEEEee

this still hurts.
>>
File: Xbox-Duke-Controller.jpg (2 MB, 2840x2400) Image search: [Google]
Xbox-Duke-Controller.jpg
2 MB, 2840x2400
>The Dreamcast II happened in your lifetime
>>
>>336016498
>missing the point
>>
File: 1461726390678.png (175 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1461726390678.png
175 KB, 400x386
>>336015229

>The future's so bright we've got to wear shades!
>>
>>336016629
The hero of the 6th gen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-WFNbMohTQ
>>
>>336016629
were the Black and White buttons the worst idea ever?
>>
>>336016629
Ironically it was 15 years ahead of everything else

>x86 p3 733
>Direct X Windows based API w/ low level access
>nvidia gpu i know current consoles use amd but still the ps3 used a 78gt/gs
>Great games
>Goat controller
The revisied 2nd controller that is exactly the same as the 360 and xboner

The Xbox One could have been a decent console but they fucked it up using the same horrible hardware as sony

>Dual quad core a8's
>7770
>ddr3 ram
and it still outpaced the ps4 in some games.

Hilarious.

Xbox One is the new dreamcast.

Its been pretty much dead all this year its why i sold mine.

i wish microsoft would just ditch it completely and come up with something new and not a overclocked ps4 like sony is doing with the neo.

Consoles these days are so fucking lazy and the developers even moreso.

They cant squeeze out 1080p 30fps or even 1080p 60fps with all that power is goddamn nuts they have to release a 2nd fucking generation within a generation of consoles, i dont think ive ever seen that before its insane.
>>
>>336016978
Yep ive you've ever played a real xbox original controller you know its a horrible pos to hit those buttons and the start select buttons are even worse, triggers and sticks are very comfy but the buttons are shocking
>>
>>336016571
Why was Sega's boxart always so damn ugly? It has that old anime artstyle that's really off putting.
>>
>>336017282
>off putting
you mean AWESOME right?
>>
>>336016638
>accessories were made for a console
>look I can get them all and stack them so high guys gib yous
>>
>>336018632
yeah because all the add ons that sega made for the genesis were great and successful
>>
>>336018773
Alright let's talk about your meme image autistic pal.
We know the 32X was an undersupported piece of junk.
Master System Converter was fine, a pin conversion that puts the Genesis into its Master System mode. Even if the Master System wasn't all that great to start with the effort for backwards compatibility isn't even bothered with today.
Genesis cleaning system, it's a contact cleaner, thrown on there because it's a tall device.
Game Genie, Game Genie is great. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone say something negative about the Game Genie and Gamesharks when they were at their heights. "I don't cheat" not counting. It was a capable little device.
Sonic & Knuckles, the other chunk of the game you didn't get in Sonic 3, can be used with Sonic 3, and Sonic 2 while its at it. Looks like we put on two of these for the & Knuckles meme.
Sega CD was fine, as always Sega seems to always win in its Japanese library, the marketing for FMV games in the West was not a winning strat.
>>
>>336019057
>calling me autistic when your articulating a pic i posted that wasnt really related to my comment
>>
>>336019057
To be clear, >>336018773 I'm not saying the add ons made the genesis
>great and successful
But the pictured unworking stack isn't what made it fail either.
>>
>>336019257
I addressed the image first. >>336016498
The comment with it didn't have much to talk about.
>>
>>336015430
Piracy is incredibly easy on Wii U now as long as you're not stupid enough to update to the latest firmware.
>>
>>336015229
Nothing. It was way ahead of its time. Technically the first console Microsoft had a hand in. It was the most advanced gaming device. Internet multiplayer when most people didn't have internet. Amazing game library. Very good tittles a lot of them revolutionary in their genres. It was the best.
>>
>>336020423
>those feet
I thought asianses liked the small kind
>>
It's the gamecube. the gamecube has overtaken dreamcast as the overrated meme console. In 10 years time it will be the Wii U
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.