[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Legacy Servers thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 72
File: dragon_fightsmall_zpsbf6d9e45.jpg (264 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
dragon_fightsmall_zpsbf6d9e45.jpg
264 KB, 800x600
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NU7JAW2VG4

Mark Kern and the Nostalrius team are in talks with Blizzard, presumably about Legacy Servers. The petition is at nearly 250,000 signatures:
https://www.change.org/p/mike-morhaime-legacy-server-among-world-of-warcraft-community?recruiter=522873458
A lot of cool people who've played WoW have come out in favour of Legacy servers, and some less cool people have given frankly uninformed and unimportant opinions.

Blizzard have said:
> "We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty. If we could push a button and all of this would be created, we would. [...]"
> "One other note - we’ve recently been in contact with some of the folks who operated Nostalrius. They obviously care deeply about the game, and we look forward to more conversations with them in the coming weeks."

Hopefully they'll find that golden button they've been looking for and they up the freaking Legacy Servers. here's hoping.
>>
File: brackster.jpg (101 KB, 495x720) Image search: [Google]
brackster.jpg
101 KB, 495x720
Can't smack the Brack.
>>
>>336001035
With allt he publicity and fan lashabck about this there's a real chance it'll happen.

It's likely no one and Blizzard currently has the knowledge and know-how to even implement Legacy servers. The builds and architecture are likely lost. They need the Nostalrius people who actually managed to reverse-engineer it.
>>
>>336001213
>
Nostalrius didn't use some new-age techno wizardry. The looked up how mechanics actually worked in WoW by looking at Wikis and gameplay, and they rewrote the code. There's enough documentation about WoW Quests and Dungeons during Vanilla that you could faithfully reproduce most of it just by reading up on it (although clearly more research and first-hand knowledge will refine the process).
>>
>>336001415
*deeper research, not more
But yeah, Nostalrius reverse engineered it how you'd reverse engineer anything. You see how it works, and you rebuild it from scratch. It took Nostalrius 5 years, Blizzard wouldn't even break a sweat doing it.
>>
>>336001035
That's a pretty neat promo pic. That night elf looks like a demon hunter and it looks like that group is in ZG.
>>
File: 1010 - LqLvjEC.jpg (5 KB, 255x98) Image search: [Google]
1010 - LqLvjEC.jpg
5 KB, 255x98
>tfw it ACTUALLY HAPPENS
>tfw everyone realises how shit it was, just seemed better when you were younger

i cant wait for this

im gonna be ALL OVER those blizzcucks
>>
>>336001213
Nostalrius developers have barely done anything, vast majority of the work has been done by the open source community (the contributors of MaNGOS that Nostalrius is based on, but also the people who originally figured out the WoW server-client protocol, retail theorycrafters etc). Maybe 5% of the code in their emulator is of their own making and that doesn't include the work put into figuring out how the game did work.

>>336001415
Nostalrius developers haven't really done anything of the sort, most of the improvements on their server are server infrastructure related (managing to have stable servers with 10k pop). For example, if you think of questing, at its launch I can't think of a single (at least low-level) quest they had improved in any way compared to open source emulation and whatever fixes they've done since have been making maybe two dozen outright uncompletable quests completable. Hell, in some ways open source emulation for 3.3.5a is better even in terms of vanilla content (for example, mob abilities and patrol paths tend to be better, and some involved quests like Freedom For All Creatures work: https://github.com/TrinityCore/TrinityCore/issues/4823 while it didn't on Nostalrius https://report.nostalrius.org/plugins/tracker/?aid=1333).
>>
I don't understand why Blizzard doesn't do Legacy servers or Progression servers. Just charge a few dollars each month for those that play on those servers to make up the cost.
>>
>>336001801
I played Vanilla back in 2013 on a private server (Emerald Dream - Feenix). I vastly prefer Vanilla WoW to any other MMO, including current WoW, which is a ghost of its former self.

Millions will come back to WoW if Legacy servers were announced. Millions quit because of Cata/MoP/WoD
>>
>>336002009
Because it doesn't make up the cost and wouldn't be profitable without attracting tens of thousands of subscribers for months on end (unlikely). There also isn't a clear precedent for how to manage such servers. Not to mention the complications involved with maintaining two entirely different live versions of the game in however many regions Blizzard offers support for.

If it was easy money, they would do it.
>>
>"legacy" servers released at legion
>its just WoD servers
I can see it and its making me laugh.
>>
>>336001898
Fair point, they were building ontop of Mangos, but I still wouldn't completely undermine the effort they put into their server. I've played on other private servers, and Nostalrius was by far the smoothest, most bug-free of the lot. They fixed many glaring problems (hunter pets and shaman quests come to mind). If Blizzard need to know how to run a Vanilla server, Nostalrius ran it seamlessly. If it needs to be that bit more professional, I'm sure they can work it out, especially with Blizzard's resources.
>>
>>336001801
I don't know man, I played a bit of Nostalrius and I liked it more than current WoW.
Leveling up and gaining more skills actually felt meaningful.
>>
>>336001801
>vanilla private servers are still popular
It's gonna be good senpai
>>
>>336001801
>>336002251
Yeah, the nostalgia myth is just that. Vanilla WoW was a legitimately better game. It wasn't balanced, it wasn't as easy and it wasn't as polished, but it doesn't need to be. What people don't seem to realise is that most classes were support classes back in Vanilla. Every class isn't supposed to be equal in ability, because then what's the point of classes? It just because red fireball, green fireball, purple fireball at that point. In Vanilla every class had a very, very distinct role, and a lot of specs weren't PvE viable, because end-game PvE wasn't the sole purpose of the game.

In Vanilla, 1-60 was the game. Now anything that isn't level cap is irrelevant.
>>
>>336002320
As a long time private server player, if Blizzard went after private servers hard after they release Legacy servers, I would be 100% on their side. If Blizzard are providing a service that belongs to them, and others are providing Blizzard's service for free, Blizzard can shut down as many Vanilla, TBC, Wrath, Cata, WoD, Legion private servers as they want.

As it stands, Vanilla WoW can only be experienced on private servers. Once Blizzard offers it themselves, they can demolish as many private servers as they like.
>>
>>336002437
>a lot of specs weren't PvE viable
Understatement of the fucking century. A lot of specs weren't viable at all in any aspect of the game. Half of those specs flat out did not function at all, or weren't even fleshed out enough to be bothered with putting more than 11 points into. Not to mention that your "very, very distinct role" was spamming buffs, dispels, or sunder armor and was generally boring as fuck.

Vanilla had some great things about it but don't bullshit people into thinking the class design was better than it is now.
>>
File: 1461962410750.jpg (536 KB, 1020x1486) Image search: [Google]
1461962410750.jpg
536 KB, 1020x1486
>>336002009
They even said
>If we could press 1 button and spend no money while getting a shit ton we would do it.
>>
There's little chance it will happen imo. I feel that we will just get the pristine crap they talked about.

But holy shit is vanilla good and bad at the same time. Unlike the current wow where the whole game starts at max lvl only and everything before that doesn't matter, I always felt that vanilla was 100% the best 1 till you hit 60. After that you hit a wall. You either form a really good bond with a very active guild and start progressing or just dick around. Which is also fun.

Getting a green drop before lvl 10 still feels much better than getting my mythic gear on retail.
>>
>>336002641
Also to add to this, vanilla had garbage class balance. But even when I play on private servers I feel that every single profession is amazing and useful. You can play around so much with them. The only change i'd want in a legacy server from the old vanilla is that they'd balance out the classes abit more, if it's even possible. Do some tweaking and not just drop it as it is.

Because for all the nice things vanilla had it also had the most annoying and horrible design choices compared to any of the expansions.
>>
>>336002610
I admitted it was rough around the edges, but in Vanilla there was a lot of niche esoteric stuff when it came to class design. You could be that rare Feral Druid out in the wild with mastery of the unkempt wild. It was more like a proper RPG. Everything wasn't about min-maxing.

Now every class and every spec is PvE-centric.
>>
>>336002884
>You could be that rare Feral Druid
ftfy
>>
>>336002641
>pristine crap
i cannot for the life of me understand why blizzard thought that was a good trade off

>we want old content back!
>you're not getting it, but you can have the current content instead!
>>
What long dead WoW legends do you think would come back if vanilla legacy servers were announced and released?
>>
>>336001035
Still wouldn't surprise me if nothing came out of this.
>>
>>336003054
well, I'd say it's a half step in the right direction to turn off cross-realm bullshit and the LFD stuff
>>
>>336003091

At best we'll get a lengthy explanation as to why we should all go fuck ourselves
>>
>>336003091
There's a big chance it's a PR stunt. Getting a legacy server is a very very very slim chance, but it's still the biggest hope that ever existed.
>>
>>336002884
>I admitted it was rough around the edges
Yea, you keep downplaying the hard fact that half the specs in the game were utter fucking dogshit for literally every type of content that existed. Even the specs that were viable were terribly designed with multitudes of worthless, low-impact talents and no-brainers in every tier. Calling it "rough around the edges" is comical for anyone who played back then. You could be a feral druid, but you would be useless; compared to WoW right now where feral druids are viable in every facet of the game whether it's PvE, PvP, questing, small group content etc...

They've fucked up the class balance at different points along the way, but trying to claim that vanilla was better in this regard is absolutely ludicrous. Everyone knows how full of shit you are
>>
>>336001035
>a lot of people have come out in favor

yeah but only about 12k people played the thing to begin with
>>
>>336003080
Kungen, WoWHobbs, Kaceytron, Lewis and Simon of the Yogscast, WoWCrendor and many more have definitively said they'd come back to WoW/play more WoW (and stream it / make videos of WoW) if Blizzard did Legacy Servers. Even Total Biscuit and Jesse Cox expressed a bit of interest for Legacy servers (though that doesn't mean they'd come back.

Those are ALL big names I've listed.
>>
File: paqueman.gif (23 KB, 331x232) Image search: [Google]
paqueman.gif
23 KB, 331x232
Vanilla with bc classes would be the perfect game
>>
Vanilla WoW is garbage. Is it better than the shitshow that current WoW is? Sure it is, but I most definitely wouldn't play Vanilla over it. There is nowhere near enough content.

No, the best case scenario would be to have a server that is up to date, only with certain garbage features disabled, such as flying mounts, LFG/R, heirlooms and Garrisons.

That is what I want, but still there is one thing that won't be so easy to fix, and that's how strong your character is in comparison to other monsters. You can mow shit down now with ease and 0 downtime. It's not rewarding in the slightest.

I'm playing a level 32 shaman currently on retail and my spells have a mana cost of 2. TWO. My max mana is something silly like 4 thousand as well.
>>
>>336003198
There's an overwhelming chance they are coming eventually

There is zero chance it will be announced before we're a few months into Legion. Blizz is still counting on 10m losers going out and buying a box
>>
>>336003316
>Kungen
Naw, he'll go like "IT'S NOT LIKE MUH VANILLAS BCUS DEI DID THING" (thing being something irrelevant as fuck like new models)
>>
>>336003367
yea well, blizzard has never gotten enemy balance right. in vanilla if you pulled more than one enemy you instantly died and all the enemies were bunched together in groups of ten and ran away at the speed of sound when they got low.
>>
>>336001035
My best memories of WoW was the duels in Nagrand and farming elemental plateau for hours on end. I would not mind paying for a legacy server, even if it was only vanilla.
>>
>>336003225
> Yea, you keep downplaying the hard fact that half the specs in the game were utter fucking dogshit
It's an mmoRPG you fucking faggot. For Vanilla Blizzard basically created one PvE spec per class, and the rest weren't about being doing mad dps, or healing, or tanking. They were about being the hero you wanted to be. You could be some wonky spec out in the world and enjoy it your own way. I fucking played an elemental Shaman, and I enjoyed the fuck out of it for months, especially for PvP.

If you wanted to raid or be a top-end PvPer, you might have to respec. So what. You could have fun being you, you don't have to give a shit what the min-maxers did.
>>
My whole life I thought that the fireball came from the dwarf's gun
Fuck me
>>
>this is neo-wow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfobcr0-EA4
>>
>>336003527
>the rest weren't about being doing mad dps, or healing, or tanking. They were about being the hero you wanted to be
Now they're about being the hero you want to be and you can actually do dps, healing or tanking. There is literally no disadvantage to the modern class design compared to vanilla. You're utterly fucking blind to the way the game actually was back then
>>
>>336003251
This is about Legacy Servers, not Nostalrius. 15k were playing on an illegal underground word of mouth server. Imagine what the numbers would be if Blizzard released their own official servers. I would wager it would be 1~2 million.
>>
>>336003316
wowcrendor said he doesn't care, which seems odd to me because he's such a nostalgiafag
>>
File: Balance 2.png (288 KB, 1868x863) Image search: [Google]
Balance 2.png
288 KB, 1868x863
>>336002610
Lots of specs aren't PvE viable in retail WoW.
>>
File: 1363155549790.gif (80 KB, 170x207) Image search: [Google]
1363155549790.gif
80 KB, 170x207
>>336003527
so roleplaying as a viable spec is somehow worse than roleplaying as a spec that sucks dick and doesn't even function properly? fucking kill yourself. disc priests used to have divine spirit as a 31 point talent. WOW that EPIC roleplaying with my useless buffbot spec! thanks vanilla!
>>
No matter what, they're not going to use Nostalrius' core.
>>
>>336003634
Seems like you're confusing viable with optimal. I knew you were a retard but I didn't expect you to also be illiterate.

And regardless of the current state of PvE balance, you will never successfully make the argument that it was better in vanilla. Don't dig yourself a deeper hole
>>
>>336003527
>lol class balance is useless in a RPG!! I looooooveeee le 3.5! best arrrpeeegeeee evuuuuurrrr
Oh shit!
ABANDON THREAD, LE EPIC /tg/ RETARDS ARE HERE!
>>
>>336003590
>word of mouth
Nostalgius was marketed out the ass. It became a gaming fad like DayZ or early 2012 Dark Souls. Attracting people, not just for the game it provided, but for the idea of being a part of the next big thing in underground gaymen culture
>>
>>336003756

If a spec is doing less than half the damage of another, it isn't viable
>>
File: 1348490351703.jpg (23 KB, 232x197) Image search: [Google]
1348490351703.jpg
23 KB, 232x197
>"Blizzard might make vanilla legacy servers!"
>mfw i'd much rather have wotlk
>>
File: balance.png (284 KB, 1813x858) Image search: [Google]
balance.png
284 KB, 1813x858
>>336003756
No, survival is literally no viable, PvE or PvP. Bringing SV hunters to progression in Mythic wipes you because you will hit the Enrage and wipe unless several of your DPS are overgeared enough to carry them. Assassination Rogues are in the same position, alongside BM Hunters.

>>336003870
>Half
>>
>>336003225

>WoW right now where feral druids are viable in every facet of the game

But that's his point. Everyone can do everything. I couldnt agree more about vanilla classes needing work but every class being capable at every task is pointless. Vanilla, although shocking in certain aspects of class progression, still made you pick a class based on a certain task or area of the game that you wanted to focus on. They should of focused on improving that element rather than making your class compatible to nearly everything
>>
>>336002241
I'm not saying they did nothing at all but the claims people make are outright ridiculous and give an entirely wrong impression to people who aren't familiar with private server scene. Nostalrius devs do deserve credit, but I'd give the most of the credit for them not being fucking jews and running an unadulterated server without pay2win or boosted rates or anything of the sort. And while they do deserve credit for the improvements they've made as well, people should also remember the guys who got the other 95% details to "work" rather than parading Nostalrius devs around as though they were the first people to ever make a WoW private server.
>>
>>336003623
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI36m3E2ijU
In this video he says he would play on Vanilla servers and film Machinima on it. There are Machinima videos he's wanted to make, but he's been unable to because he wanted to film them in pre-Cata Azeroth.
>>
>>336003914
Isn't arcane the best by far DPS spec and kinda overtuned?
>>
>>336003914
>comparing sub 20 second kills to 1 minute+ kills
But yeah Surv is dogshit atm
>>
>>336003978
Arcane is the best but not by that margin. It's maybe 15% overtuned, not 100%.

>>336004002
Thing is you can't get a 20 second kill with a SV Hunter in the raid.
>>
>>336003926
But his point is retarded because everyone can not do anything. A holy priest can't tank; a rogue can't heal.

>still made you pick a class based on a certain task or area of the game that you wanted to focus on
And then prepicked your spec because the talent system was fucking horrible
>>
>>336004038
Oh yes, I know.
But is also dogshit outside of high end raiding?
>>
>>336001801

Dumb frogposter
>>
>>336004107
SV is Dogshit in every aspect. It's completely broken. I mean you can probably do quests with it. Not much else.
>>
>>336004159
Oh well.
>>
Why?

Why keep running the same dungeons over and over again for the same loot?

Why?

There's so much more added to the game. If it's not challenging enough as it is, just find something else to do with your life.

Why do this to yourselves?
>>
>>336003978
Slightly overtuned. Has more to do with the fact that ring + Class trinket & Prophecy of Fear are ridiculous together.
>>
>>336003756
The dog poster wasn't me. I understand where some of the frustration with Vanilla class balance comes from, especially when you start playing one spec and you find out you're a bit shit practically speaking and you have to switch your entire spec, but I don't think class-balance is the end-all be-all. Back in early WoW the focus wasn't end-game. A lot of specs were RP specs, and they let you be your own little unique adventurer.
>>
File: huh.jpg (93 KB, 453x634) Image search: [Google]
huh.jpg
93 KB, 453x634
>>336003452
Agreed, when Legion subs start to nose dive like WoD then they'll bust out Legacy.
>>
>>336004321
>I don't think class-balance is the end-all be-all
I never said it was. I only said that that retard pretending like Vanilla class balance was "better" because half the specs were shit is a fucking moron
>>
File: WoW 2010-04-07 02-29-43-55.jpg (270 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
WoW 2010-04-07 02-29-43-55.jpg
270 KB, 1680x1050
Legacy servers are not likely to happen. They also must continue to shut down private servers to actively defend their ip, it's the way the laws work.

I just hope that Blizzard will take another look a vanilla and all versions of WoW and take the things of value from it as they move forward.

It's like them to consistently take from other games and polish it up into something for WoW. It's been full of systems/ideas from other games/mmos since the beginning. Unfortunately I feel like they have left behind a lot of things overtime that were original to WoW itself, and that is a great loss.

For myself I lost my niche as an arms warrior in WoD PvP. The ability strip removed too many mechanics (disarm, root, banners, taste for blood, overpower, shield swapping, etc) that they believed were unnecessary.

This made it so that in pvp my opponent and I can't react to each other in all of the little and complex ways that we used to do (root a hunters disengage, disarm a warrior's die by the sword so they cannot parry, overpower a rogues evasion, just time stuns with bladestorm to break them after they hit you, etc).

These changes took a lot from me. Just dealing massive amounts of damage and killing players is boring to me. All I'm doing is watching health bars move up and down. For myself, the real thrill of pvp came from reacting and anticipating to what my opponents will do and exploiting it and capitalizing on mistakes. I just don't feel engaged in the game anymore, for when I die or kill there isn't as much depth or complexity to think about and there are no options in combat to exploit. I used to be able to excel as a warrior if I wanted to, there was always a detail I missed. Now the cds are too big, basic, and simple, there aren't nearly as many elegant solutions to my problems. It just feels like a different and inferior game to me now.
>>
who gives a fuck
WHO
GIVES
A
FUCK
you legacy fags are worse than the normal blizzdrones, but go ahead and give blizzard money for an old version of the game

why would you pay a sub for a game that's not gonna get any more patches? that's the whole justification for paying a sub in the first place
>>
>>336004067

> A holy priest can't tank; a rogue can't heal.

Hahaha that's a fair call

>And then prepicked your spec because the talent system was fucking horrible

Couldn't agree more, I just meant they should of worked on making that style of talent work, rather than cutting it down to the simple level it is today. Its obviously just my view on things but I feel like the simplifications they made were just a lazy, less time-consuming way of handling the task
>>
>old wow client didnt support macs

>old wow client used old server hardware

>you'd have to download a new client just to play old wow

>adding rolling expansions means if you wanted to play on vanilla again you'd have to redownload the client

>no battle.net integration

>vanilla wow had many exploits that were patched out as soon as they were found, bringing back vanilla would mean all those exploits would be well documented and available for use

>major class imbalances in general

>less overall optimization

>very little mod support or baseline features like extra hotbar binding and keys

Blizzard's ideal version of a vanilla WoW server would be to support battle.net, use a single client for their entire service, support many expansions and versions at the same time, fix exploits, retain quality of time changes like dressing room, hotbars, achievements and having a graphics slider

Blizzard has a stick so far up its ass it wouldnt settle for anything less than perfection, which makes this task pretty much impossible for them.
>>
>>336004405
>your PVP reasoning

Part of that was why I loved monk in PVE -and- PVP in Mists. I thought they did an awesome job adding a new class and the sky was the limit. I had SO many fucking buttons and skills to use, even as a Brewmaster I had shit I could do to outplay people or tank cleverly.

Then I heard about WOD, and oh boy. Now I hear about what they've done to my baby shaman in Legion.
>>
File: crackheadsess.gif (3 MB, 237x329) Image search: [Google]
crackheadsess.gif
3 MB, 237x329
>>336003830
>became a gaming fad like DayZ or early 2012 Dark Souls

Lol fuck off, put down the crackpipe m8.
>>
>>336004458

y u so mad doe?
>>
>>336001035

Hey if you get those legacy severs I say well done but I will say this. Nostalgia has a funny way of rose tinted everything, so you might not end up liking what you get but if you do good for you
>>
>>336004565
From a 100% gamist stand point, today's talents are 10 times better than any other iteration of, however the carrot on the stick is more >fun.

Best way would be old talents plus new ones, as two separate things, so you get a bunch of passives and some actives via tree and the game changers via the table
>>
>>336004653
because this forum is flooded with these cuckthreads for weeks now
why can't people just quit playing blizzard games and be done with it?
>>
>>336004619

your very first point is a straight up blatant lie
>>
>>336003914
Play a fire mage doing MC, BWL or Onyxia. I'll take half damage over doing literally no damage.
>>
File: hamustaa.jpg (95 KB, 529x797) Image search: [Google]
hamustaa.jpg
95 KB, 529x797
It's very possible that even Blizz devs themselves want legacy servers but someone higher up decided that marketing wouldn't mesh well with that
>>
File: youlilshit.jpg (32 KB, 540x547) Image search: [Google]
youlilshit.jpg
32 KB, 540x547
>>336004725
>stop liking what i don't like
>reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
File: wthh.jpg (42 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
wthh.jpg
42 KB, 550x550
>>336004725
Well then don't read them faggot.
>>
>>336004693
I regularly play video games that were made in the early 90s and I still enjoy them just as much as I did back then, I don't see how WoW would be any different
>>
File: 1243535345345345.png (314 KB, 768x720) Image search: [Google]
1243535345345345.png
314 KB, 768x720
>Post yfw Blizz surprises us all by taking the initiative for once and makes a server for each expansion so you can pick your favorite one
>>
File: Buck.png (1 MB, 1600x1427) Image search: [Google]
Buck.png
1 MB, 1600x1427
>>336004898
>>
>>336004725
And im trying to avoid Das3 spoilers but yelling at /v/ isn't going to help me.

Sorry bro but you can't change people let alone a whole community
>>
>>336004898

Why set yourself up for such disappointment?
>>
File: 1451752916969.jpg (25 KB, 552x594) Image search: [Google]
1451752916969.jpg
25 KB, 552x594
>>336004898
guys let's play on cata
>>
>>336004915
There is literally nothing to spoil in DaS3.
>>
>>336004709
From a 100% gamist stand point, WoW is a terrible game in all its incarnations

Of coursh, WoW is 100% gamist designed today, but the only reason people actually play is because they still feel achievements are extrinsically meaningful because of what a cultural behemoth WoW used to be
>>
>>336004816
it's not about liking the game, it's about supporting jews
but go ahead and give them your shekels blizzdrone
>>
>>336004898
>Tfw getting to raid MC and ICC back to back.
>>
>>336004709
well i will be honest, the most up to date version of talents I experienced was in MoP for a 10 day return trial and I wasn't phased. Maybe they have done more work on it since then but there is still a LOT i dislike about the current state of the game so it wouldn't matter to me too much
>>
>>336004952
>Said nobody
>>
>>336005041
I hate to break this to you, but the world is run by jews.
>>
>>336004846
stfu
the page is flooded with them, that's annoying enough
>don't read them huehuehue
eat a dick shill
>>
>>336005072

Hard to believe, but there are private Cata servers
>>
>>336004969

Hahahaha maybe for some, depends what you are playing for
>>
>>336005084
and you support them, I don't
>>
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 442x253) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 442x253
>>336002251
>classes have 50+ spells
>you mash 1-3 of them in raid/dungeons
>meaningful
>>
>>336004741

It's not.

Mac support for the WoW client was PATCHED IN, it was launched with zero support

so if you plan on launching the game on 1.0 and do rolling raid content, mac customers are fucked
>>
>>336005029
Factually wrong, the only terrible gamist game out there are pretty old RPGs like arcanum where balance and decisions really don't matter jackshit since something is obviously OP as fuck and doing anything else is gimping yourself for >fun.
>>
>>336005156
You don't buy anything ever?
>>
>>336005154
No, there is literally nothing. The entire plot is just references to the first game. Other than that you got shit on 4 dudes then go somewhere and sit down and it ends. That's all.
>>
>>336005161

But that is not how patch progression works.

You are given the latest patch for that version of the game (1.12.1) so that all errors, glitches, bugs and exploits are sorted. Content is then removed from the game and released over time as if it were receiving patches that only effect game play.
>>
>>336001035

If they made Legacy and it was a separate sub, would you pay for it /v/?
>>
>>336005161
People actually play games on macs? I thought they were for hipster college students to brag about how they don't have a Windows computer to write their essays on.
>>
>Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder.

When they say they will turn off heirloom gear....please don't tell me they just mean the increased exp portion of heirloom gear. PLEASE don't tell me that is what they mean.

Please tell me they're just going to do the right thing and flatout remove heirloom gear from the pristine servers.

the exp gain from heirloom gear isn't even the issue. The issue is the absurd stats they give which destroys PvE and PvP
>>
>>336005380
Yes, but I would stop paying the retail sub and wouldn't buy Legion, so they would have shot themselves in the foot there.
Business wise making it a single sub makes the most sense.
>>
>>336005270

how it references the original and ties it to the current game is what im interested in, I just like a blind play through km8. If there really is nothing to it then ill figure it out at the end

you can play however you want
>>
>>336005458

They'd still get their money either way anon, not everyone is like you anyway.
>>
>>336005380
I would. There's no reason to be subbed to current WoW.

If it's the same sub, I'll pay it to play Legacy. If it's a different sub, I'll pay it to play Legacy.

Fuck current WoW.
>>
>>336005425
No heirloom at all.

Also
>Muh lowbie peeveeepai/peeveeerrr
wtf u on nigger?
>>
>>336005425
I agree but whenever people make this arguement I always see the other side saying

"well heirlooom gear is just as god as blue gear from dungoens"
>>
>>336005425
Who cares?

You're still retardedly powerful compared to mobs, even without heirlooms

The game still encourages extreme stratification of the playerbase

The game discourages interaction with strangers

The world is still over-designed on-rails cata questing
>>
>>336001801
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM40cK5tu7w

look at all those blizzcucks in denial

how much do you think they're getting paid to pretend to like vanilla?
>>
>>336005552
Heirloom gear is quite literally twink gear at every point in the game up to level 90. Twink gear without working to get twink gear.

Anybody that doesn't have heirlooms will get 2-3 shotted by somebody with heirloom gear, and will deal no fucking damage to them.
>>
>>336005189
not from jews
>>
File: Guts simulator.webm (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Guts simulator.webm
3 MB, 480x270
>>336001035
Can I do this in a WoW legacy server?
>>
>>336005546
>it's a different sub you must pay on top of a live realms sub

That's what JaGeX intended originally for OSRS
>>
>>336005380

If they do it sensibly id be tempted, if they involve ma bois from nost, then i would probably cave

>>336005458

Especially in terms of measuring what is a more popular game and making them more money. That way, if vanilla gameplay is favoured by most, they can fix the fuck up that is modern wow
>>
>>336005625
>Not showing end-game raiding or custom pvp events
hahahaha
nostcucks
>>
>>336005384
Nah they're for people who actually use ram intensive applications built on open gl
>>
>>336005701
>if vanilla gameplay is favoured by most, they can fix the fuck up that is modern wow
You literally cannot fix modern wow to work the way classic worked
>>
File: nostalrius.jpg (177 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
nostalrius.jpg
177 KB, 1024x768
>>336005625
Look at all those nostcucks, thinking they like anything other than [current year] game. Who the fuck do they think they are? How dare they not be in complete agreement with Blizzard's current vision of WoW.
>>
>>336005671
soon you will can't do this even in vindictus :^)
>>
>>336005606

i did get slightly excited about pristine until i then imagined it and thoughof all of the points you have laid out in your post
>>
File: rs sad frog.jpg (11 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
rs sad frog.jpg
11 KB, 184x184
I just wanna make a level 1 human and spend hours after hours leveling in elwynn forest in my own, comfy phase.
Looting copper coins and saving up for that mount at level 40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvW-QTiZLQ0
>>
>>336005425
Also
>Level 1 warrior with 3/4 valor and an arcanite reaper
>Level 20 mage with almost full dreadmist and a headmaster's charge riding around on a corehound

You faggots talk so much about class homogenization you overlook that the homogenization of aesthetics.

It used to be a warlock in tattered clothes looking to one day don the full dreadmist gear or starting as a warrior with a shitty sword working up to full plate gear then making your own arcanite reaper as you collect your valor pieces.
>>
>>336005792
explain
>>
>>336005839
It'll remove some major flaws in current WoW, but it'll still be the exact same shitty WoD content, with a lot more major flaws still left in.
>>
>>336005786
>Having multiple non-stat food boofs on the bar
lol poorfag spotted
>>
>>336005927
check how much people is online right know
your game is dying mate
shame because it was better than bdo and b&s
>>
>>336005782
I reckon you could. Just have another cataclysmic expansion, only do it right this time
>>
honestly the "pristine server" option isn't a bad deal at all

keep all the current expansions, but remove LFG and crossrealm, possibly flying mounts. you're gonna have to leave your garrison to look for groups.
>>
>>336005996
not dying on korea and CN :^)
>>
>>336005996
It's nexon's kikery at play as usual.
>Make it so fucking grindy that KOREANS laugh at you
>????
>People leave
>>
>Current WoW low level experience
>Easy as fuck
>Managed to kill that boss at the end of the Ghostlands blood elf questline that recommends having 5 players to kill on my own at level 20 when he's level 21.
>Did this without heirlooms

Neo-WoW is so fucking shit.
>>
>>336006038
>tfw they get the good version of the game
reeee
>>
>>336006124
you can play CN Vindi easy and install an english mod
>>
>>336001035
>"We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty."
What sort of architecture were you using?
Load up the old version and slap it on a server.
Yes I realise there's the problem with WoW not supporting downgrading the client. Have the user use two clients. Your game is 20 fucking gigabytes, another 120Mb .exe won't kill it.

I bet what they're doing is finding a way to get the Dungeon Finder working in vanilla.
Or a way to implement the cash shop, so you could buy pets and mounts and unique looking gear.

Vanilla had its flaws, true. Healers and Warriors levelled at the speed of a snail in tar, Hybrids were useless, PvP was imba as fuck. But shit, at least it wasn't a garrison and retard-finder simulator.
>>
>>336001035
I hope that you get legacy servers so you finally fucking shut up about it.
>>
>>336006202
Blizzard shit the bed and accidentally their entire version control software nearly 7 years ago.
>>
File: 1460143470047.jpg (140 KB, 560x570) Image search: [Google]
1460143470047.jpg
140 KB, 560x570
>>336006237

>so you finally fucking shut up about it

Is that what you think?
>>
>>336006202
Which classes had an easy time in Vanilla as far as leveling went?
Warlocks, mages and hunters perhaps?
>>
>>336006103
Old wow was 10 times easier, people just fucking sucked at WoW and the logistics were a pain. That's where all the difficulty was, logistics.
>>
>>336006328
Well, complaining about not having it. I know every one of these fuckers will still run around and act like they're hot shit for playing a decade old version of a game.
>>
File: WoWScrnShot_123015_013924.jpg (219 KB, 1920x1017) Image search: [Google]
WoWScrnShot_123015_013924.jpg
219 KB, 1920x1017
Never ever, legacycucks
>>
Another thing I'll miss from Nost is that it had a server pop that was easily 6x what blizzard allows.

I doubt cross-realm ANYTHING would work on vanilla, so you'd pretty much need those 100,000 player per server pop so you could find 40 people up for a BWL run.
>>
>>336005904
Good point.
>>
>>336006374
Hunters, Warlocks, and Paladins. Mages were held back by needing to chug constantly.
>>
File: 1456092445440.gif (4 MB, 294x233) Image search: [Google]
1456092445440.gif
4 MB, 294x233
>>336006237
Not gonna happen

If they don't, threads whining about it continue
If they do, threads parading it around will take it's place

The shitposting never ends.
>>
File: soop.jpg (33 KB, 318x296) Image search: [Google]
soop.jpg
33 KB, 318x296
when official legacy servers arrive, will you guys learn the cooking profession as you level up? or skip it til maybe later
>>
>250k signatures
>nostalrius had 800k players

yeah mate, it will "happen"
>>
So Legacy fags, I have a question.

After you've inevitably exhausted the meager amount of content that Vanilla WoW has, what then? You just gonna quit? You gonna cry for them to add BC to the Vanilla server?

I'm dead serious btw, what the fuck are you expecting to happen? Because I don't know about yous, but I couldn't run those same few raids over and over again and find that enjoyable.
>>
>>336006601
Most of those 800k got bored as fuck playing it or were bots trying to sell gold.
>>
>>336006552
Probably going to make a Rogue, so absolutely.
>tfw Thistle Tea
>>
>>336006658
They will still try to be the biggest faggots possible.
>>
File: deutsch.gif (563 KB, 374x354) Image search: [Google]
deutsch.gif
563 KB, 374x354
>>336006383
Nahhh it's really not. I played both of them back to back (Wrath and WoD) to see the difference, and-

>could pull 3+ enemies without dying or requiring healing (not a tanking class either), unlike the older stuff where if you pulled more than one you were fucked in the early game
>mobs die before a single rotation is done, bosses maybe survive one rotation, compared to the older stuff where you need to take it slow
>almost never had to drink in wod, had to drink constantly when i played the vanilla content in wrath

I did like that WoD was waaaaay more fucking streamlined, though. It's a better game mechanically, but way too fucking easy. Perhaps Vanilla was too hard, too. The Night Elf starting zone in particular, especially the quest with the druids in the cave, is utterly fucking brutal. I've yet to actually solo that one.
>>
>>336006552
>when
IF legacy servers come i will level up first aid, cooking, fishing and probably herbalism/alchemy. Might do LW/BS/tailoring depending on what class I choose.
>>336006601
Registered users. They had about 150k active which is still a lot. I didn't play but i signed the petition.
>>
>>336003367
The leveling was streamlined mostly because they keep adding 10 levels to any expansion like retards and so to compensate they made leveling from 1-100 faster than 1-60 even without heirlooms, classic wow could solve this since it would have an 80 cap at best.
>>
>>336006790
I'm talking about actual game, not fucking levelling. Levelling was just tedious in vanilla and is trivial no matter what.
>>
>>336006601
>be Mike Morhaime
>getting old and contemplative
>look back on career and legacy
>will you leave behind something worthwhile?
>get email from Mark Kern about preserving history and making Azeroth great again
>Mike Morhaime smile and eyes sparkle
>>
>>336006436
>Paladins
No.

Hunters did well.
Warlocks did well enough, though they tended to alternate Drain Life and Life Tap.
Rogues did well enough vs. single mobs, though tended to get plowed vs. many
Mages spent more time drinking than fighting.
Retdins were zzz
Warriors were zzz
Shadowpreists were zzz + needing to drink
Ferals were like worse Rogues. They did do better vs. multiple mobs though.
Balance druids were hahaha

However, it's important to note the payoff.

At level 60, Warriors were necessary in PvE as pretty much the only viable tank for many encounters.
Healers were in great need.
Rogues were decent at max level but overpopulated as shit, same as hunters, so good luck finding a group.
Warlocks and Mages kind of got shit on in PvP.
Paladins, Druids - lol hybrids
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
>>336003878
iktf bruh
>>
>>336006896
Jesus, not even DA fanfiction is that cringeworthy.
>>
>We can't push a button and make classic servers

but that's literally what the team at nostalrius did.
>>
>>336006853
The guy you were replying to was talking about levelling, though.
>>
>>336006552
Bitch I am going to run Razorfen Downs for the tea recipe.
>>
>>336006928
And don't forget that you only even took a hunter for tranq shot. Your entire job was sit there, wait till we need a tranq shot.
>>
>>336006896
>Mike Morhaime smile and eyes sparkle
>Run to get the phone, call mark
>He's hyped, he's happy
>Call him a fucking cuck and legacy never ever
>Later on mark kills himself
>Happiness reached
>>
>>336006928
>Shadowpreists were zzz + needing to drink
>Shadow Priests
>Needing to Drink

Spirit Tap + Wand spec. Assuming you weren't retarded, Shadow Priests were one of the fastest leveling specs in the game.
>>
>>336006928
you forgot about shamanzzzzz
Bear druid were pretty great vs multiple mobs, could clear well.
>>
>>336006928
>Warlocks and Mages kind of got shit on in PvP.

This couldn't be more incorrect. Let me remind you that fear spam was a real issue that made Undead mandatory for horde PVP players, and that 3 minute mages were a thing.
>>
>>336007030
Enchantment was pretty fun only because windfury was retarded.
>>
>>336003878
>>336006938
Wrathbabbies really are the worst.
>>
>>336007043
I tried out retail WoW recently and fear doesn't even make you run away anymore, wtf!? so it's just a stun now? fucking lame. and now they're struggling with all the classes being the same? well no fucking shit you idiot game designers, don't give them all exactly the same abilities you idiots
>>
File: 1350854457766.png (808 KB, 590x682) Image search: [Google]
1350854457766.png
808 KB, 590x682
>>336007112
>he thinks wrath wasn't the height of the game
>>
>>336007112
No, Vanilla manbabies are. TBC is the best with MOP in close second.
>>
>>336007108
True, that was ok. I lvld as elemental which was pretty slow and later raided as resto. Resto shaman in raids and dungeons was fun but elemental was pretty shit. Windfury procs on windfury procs on windfury procs in pvp was great though, had a pvp buddy who ran around killing everyone as I healed.
>>
File: 1440473895074.png (24 KB, 115x98) Image search: [Google]
1440473895074.png
24 KB, 115x98
>>336001035
>Blizzard's completely and within their right to shut down Nost
>Even if they didn't want to, they still have to protect their IP
>Thousands of autists take this as Blizzard hating everyone and everything and try to say that they're jealous or some bullshit like that
>Despite the fact that these people know Blizzard is within their rights, they say that it's not "ethical", like that means anything
>>
>>336007159
Yeah I don't, because it wasn't. Wrath was a good expansion but it was still watered down and catered to fucking casuals such as yourself.
>>
>>336005625
>1 world boss with the whole server to fight for it per week

Wouldn't that make it exclusive to try hard guilds and the only way you can ever get a kill yourself is to join said guild? That's not taking in account one of the sides isn't camping the other.
>>
File: arthastext01.jpg (53 KB, 580x325) Image search: [Google]
arthastext01.jpg
53 KB, 580x325
>>336007112
I've been playing since open beta. Wrath pre-dungeon finder was the peak of WoW .
>>
>>336007274
>Wouldn't that make it exclusive to the people that actually put work into it?

Shit fuck call the police.
>>
>>336007170
>TBC is the best with MOP in close second

I agree TBC was the best but MOP second? Nah mate, fuck off.
>>
File: evercrack.png (64 KB, 400x173) Image search: [Google]
evercrack.png
64 KB, 400x173
>faggots still want to play their watered down everquest

If you want to play a shit game why not go straight to the source and slurp down that dribbly bile out of a puckering asshole?
>>
>>336007274
Or you could just gank their healers every time they pull, or have a Warrior taunt the boss to evade range and reset it to prevent them killing it. World Bosses in vanilla were PvP flashpoints.
>>
>>336007332
>I have a shit opinion

Okay.
>>
>Bunch of normalfags like Jontron latch onto Nostalrius
>Gets shut down
>Everyone throws a huge fucking shitfit over nothing
Blizzard has closed private servers down before, what the fuck makes this any different? Just because of the normalfags playing it?
>>
>>336007215
>protect their IP
other game studios allow mod teams and fans to use their IP all the time. this excuse is bullshit. even if it were a real concern, they could make a simple license agreement like lots of other companies do
>>
>>336006552
>being a rugged warrior on an adventure in azeroth
>not camping and cooking food along the way

>>336006806
>IF
They are getting announced once the Legion sub spike dies down
When this whole controversy caught the attention of the decision-makers in Activision, you can be certain they went to mike for an explanation why he is not tapping into the market
>>
>>336007363
MOP had some great raids, gave players a reason to be out in the world and team up for some bosses (which were pretty LOL), unique content such as scenarios, and overall a pleasant map design. MOP was def a step in the right direction compared to Cata, WOD, and even Wrath. Most of its sins were born before the expac itself.
>>
>>336007159
Let me be more specific.
Wrath's "Heroics" were retard tier baby mode, until they introduced TotC and the ICC 5mans.
TotC shit on the players because they have no idea how to horse. Aside from that it's kind of meh.

Now, Ulduar was a good raid.
ICC was a good raid.
Ruby Sanctum was a good raid.
Maly was a good raid.

You know what weren't good raids?
Naxx, as it was ezmoded.
ToC25, it sucked hard in many ways. (though I do admit I enjoyed playing Ikaruga)
and Obsidain Sanctum, given that it was basically a retard check given form.

Oh, and there's one thing I need to complain about
VIOLET HOLD
FUCK THAT INSTANCE
I get VH on the random 5man? Instant quit. VH had so much bullshit waiting and "muh roleplay" and lame ass waiting shit.

Oculus? no, Oculus was fine. Easily one of the fastest 5mans to run. Though I will never quite understand how everyone on the Amber drake seems to drink paint and not know how to use the numbers 1 2 and 3 in the correct order.
>>
>>336006853
Leveling was THE game game in Vanilla, less so in TBC and even less so Wrath until it was made irrelevant.
>>
>>336007226

>le contrarian meme :^)
>>
>>336007562

A VALIANT DEFENSE
>>
>>336007435
>He thinks it's an excuse
WoW's an MMO you fucking retard, how long are you going to stay ignorant?
It'd be one thing if WoW wasn't still around today, but it is.
Actually, know what? Never fucking mind. There's no point in arguing with you kind of people on /v/, you all circlejerk and lie to yourselves and there's no reasonable way that you people will ever listen until you get what you want.
Literal screaming children, but even worse than that.
>>
>>336007472
>be mike morhaime
>called into activation shareholders meeting to explain why no legacy servers
>blame the brack for everything
>>
File: 1435116112762.jpg (87 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
1435116112762.jpg
87 KB, 500x600
>>336007592
>He actually thinks the general consensus is that Wrath was the peak of the game in anything but player numbers

If that were the case wouldn't everyone be petitioning for Wrath servers instead? Wrathbabbies are the contrarian minority I'm afraid.
>>
>>336005160
>not rolling hunter
>not using eye of the beast on your level 60 stealth cat
>not standing on the outskirts of goldshire and killing all the low levels with only your pet
>>
File: Gundrak.png (1 MB, 1002x668) Image search: [Google]
Gundrak.png
1 MB, 1002x668
>>336007619
People also have no idea how to run Gundrak.

Pink is the Retard Route. It involves far more trash packs that is necessary. It seems to be the route everyone takes.

Green is the Pro route. By swimming, you can skip the trash.

>but what about the fish?
Tank aggros, DoT & HoT as you move.

I will never understand why people refuse to do the jump into the water. I haven't counted but it has to skip at least 4 trash packs.
>>
>>336007435
>allow MOD teams
are you dumb? there's a huge difference between making a mod and hosting a private server
>>
>>336001898

Have you ever played a stock mangos vanilla server? Jesus Christ you are retarded, the work they did was extremely extensive and outstanding. This is like saying that web designers have to write every single plugin they use from the ground up for every website they make, or else its not their work.
>>
>>336007939
you think IP law has a special clause in it for third party MMO servers vs offline mods? leave the legal analysis to the experts m8
>>
>>336001801
So that's why nostalrius was filled to the brim with players?
>>
>>336008214
They have a precedent, so they can easily win any lawsuit against some shitead private server. Assuming it is US based, of course.
>>
>>336007869
Pink is better for leveling since everyone needs to collect items for the quest and packs go down fast for reasonable XP
>>
>>336007159
It had one good patch (3.1). The 5-mans were worthless from the start, there was one good encounter at launch (Sartharion+3D on 10-man), TOC is a contender for the worst raid ever and ICC is mediocre. Most of the arena seasons are also shit (S5 had outrageous balance issues, S8 also had a lot of retarded shit with the patch lasting so long everyone could get Shadowmourne, and I think the overall style of PvP was worse than in TBC: generally speaking, ignoring the most cancerous matchups, and not focusing on arenas exclusively).

Now, WotLK does have some strengths like more classes becoming more involved to play (although when thinking of class design as a whole, it's a step back with all the homogenization, fucking awful style of healing and tanking, and classes getting too powerful), nice environment, better quest variety and it represents the peak in convenience while the game still feels like an MMORPG (at least prior to 3.3 patch). But even if we ignore the quality of endgame content, there's plenty of terrible designs to compensate, ranging from gutted professions (identical stat boosts without them offering anything else of worth is so exciting) to bastardizing designs that worked in TBC (for example, I 100% agree flying is an inherent handicap to world PvP and exploration, but TBC had a multitude of designs that made it not such a big deal, ranging from 3s mount cast times making escaping that much more difficult to fast flying actually being prestigeous and 60% speed providing an incentive to use ground mount, while WotLK hyperinflation made the cost of fast flying trivial, while the slow flying was buffed anyway) and introducing designs that were damning the moment they were introduced (like RDF).
>>
>>336008328
Nost was in France. the EU Supreme Commission has already declared that post-purchase EULA agreements are not legally binding, so Nost was legal under EU law.
That said, they couldn't afford to actually take it to court, so Blizzard wins by default.
>>
>>336006202

They've said before that they don't have any copies of the original WoW. It's more than a decade ffs.
>>
File: Modern WoW.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Modern WoW.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>336001035
Why in fuck would Mark "Abuse muh employees and waste tens of millions of dollars because i'm a retarded sociopath" Kern be in talks with anyone? He has nothing to do with Nostalrius?

Also

>In talks with Nost
>A unstable server that was barely blizzlike

Why in fuck would they want Nost to do legacy instead of Kronos?
>>
>>336008535
>Nost was legal under EU law.

No, it was copyright infringement. You can't just take someone elses shit and host it yourself.
>>
>>336006672
If Blizzard is aloud to inflate their numbers with the Chinese, so is Nost.
>>
>>336008328
What precedent? Wowscape comes to my mind as another server that was shut down but that didn't go to court either and there's several key differences that might make a difference in the ruling anyway (Wowscape was blatantly for-profit enterprise, Nostalrius was hosted in France, and even if tried in US courts, there's a recent ruling that makes a special exception for reverse-engineered games for the purpose of preserving them: it talks about museums and such like but without actual legal precedent, who knows for certain how courts would interpret it in non-profit private server context).
>>
Where can I play a good WoW (not this modern-casual bullshit) for free?
>>
>>336008851
No it wasn't, their server side code was all original, therefore not copyright, and the client used to access the server was legally purchased you shithead.
>>
>>336008861
I never said that blizzard was ALLOWED to either.
>>
>>336008937
Kronos, but I've heard the servers are packed.
>>
>>336008818
Because he's an attention whore?

>>336008938
>client used to access the server was legally purchased you shithead.

No it's not, you buy the game client to connect to Blizzard's servers. The price is the license to play the particular expansion. It's all in the TOS.

Why do people keep making this argument? It would be laughed out of any court, even the tinpot African country ones.
>>
>>336008937
WoW has always been casual
>>
>>336008674
>11 year old raid
why do you think it should still be relevant today?
>>
>>336008938
Warcraft belongs to blizzard, you can't just do whatever you want with it.

There's a reason GW shut down fan projects, it's not just because they're a cackling evil corporation, it's because if they didn't shut them down once they became aware of it they'd risk losing their IP.
>>
>>336009041
>No it's not, you buy the game client to connect to Blizzard's servers. The price is the license to play the particular expansion. It's all in the TOS.

A ToS which is NOT LEGALLY BINDING IN THE EU. I just said that you fucktard. Post-purchase EULA agreements have been declared invalid in the EU, Australia, New Zealand, and pretty much every country that isn't America.
>>
>>336009109
>Post-purchase EULA agreements

WoW's EULA is not post-purchase. You can return the game if you disagree with it, and you can't install the client unless if you agree to it.

Furthermore, EU law prohibits ToS that waives the right of arbitration; it doesn't make ToS illegal or ineffective.

Maybe you should read up instead of being this triggered?
>>
>>336007625
there's literally no legal precendent that shows that not protecting your ip makes you lose it, you are the baby that is simply refusing to look at things as they are, a special kind of retard. Blizzard has any right to shut down nost, but it's certainly not because they would lose their ip if they didn't shut it down. Pathetic.
>>
>>336009109
No, ToS are legally binding, but ToS can be illegal in which case they aren't.

If your ToS are all within the law, it is legally binding.

EULA are totally fucking different.
>>
>>336008851
Nostalrius actually did provide a download link for 1.12.1 client so there's that. But this is again the "is linking torrents legal" debate (I don't know how it is in US or France).

However, the server software has been made from scratch, no copyrighted Blizzard material there. Or well, there's some (for example, the localization in WoW works such that the server does send the names of NPCs and items to the client), but would that count as copyright infringement? I severely doubt it. There are precedents of derivative works that use FAR more non-original material (Phantom Edit, for example) and they were fine (in this case it didn't go to court either but Lucasfilm said they'd sue if they could), same goes with reverse-engineering software (Real Alternative for example, the case was dismissed and RealTek had to play the author for damages).
>>
>>336001035
>mein fuhrer you think you do but you don't
kek
>>
>>336009259
exactly, who gives a fuck if they have a right to shut down Nost, fact is they shouldn't want to and they don't need to
>>
>>336009235
That still doesn't mean that people can just do what they want with a company's software. Especially on the scale that Nost was.
>>
>>336009305
>no copyrighted Blizzard material there

Except you know, every single asset.

You're comparing a none profit that someone just made and threw out there, to someone using all their assets, their IP, everything, and hosting what is effectively a competing product. If they stripped away all the warcraft and then did it, that's a different thing entirely.
>>
>>336009462
The assets are 100% client-side, a part of the client that the user might have legally obtained.
>>
>>336009543
That's not how that works, you fuck.
>>
>>336009543
That the user had a licence to use within the context defined by blizzard. Which is how all software works.

You're still failing to address the fact that they were using blizzard's IP, assets, art, brand, etc with no legal right to do so.
>>
>>336009624
this thread has images from WoW in it, does that mean blizzard has to shut down 4chan to 'protect their IP'?
>>
>>336007274
Nightmare dragons respawned roughly around the same time, so unless one guild was so much better than the others, if your guild is part of the top brass, you probably will get one dragon. Guilds usually had alliances for dragon events, so there was a raid group of people PvPing and other group of people taking loot.
>>
>>336009671
No, for Internet discussions it's considered to be under "fair use".
>>
>>336001035
This picture really captured me into trying WoW when I was younger. After playing Wc3 forever, this picture some reason captured my most exciting interest.
also
>night elf demon hunter in vanilla screenshot
>took them 10 yr to make it
>>
>>336009758
Though IIRC, in Japan that was actually the case, web boards and threads would get closed for posting pictures from official artbooks and shit.
>>
File: blizz nost I made this.jpg (98 KB, 419x992) Image search: [Google]
blizz nost I made this.jpg
98 KB, 419x992
>>
>>336009671
Are you really this retarded? Screenshots are a whole different beast than the software being copied outright. Even someone using a fucking tree from WoW in their game it would be illegal and the offender can be sued over it. If the dumb faggot took a picture and uploaded to their website, it is perfectly fine.
>>
>>336009973
Nost didn't copy any software. They made original server code, which other people, using separate software, connected to.
>>
>>336001035
enjoy your pristine servers, nostalcucks

real talk i think blizzard should sell licenses that are periodically (something like annually) refreshed and offer no tech support for legacy servers. that way retail can continue to evolve and pissbabies have their containment zones to pretend they will enjoy for all eternity
>>
>>336010025
That's still illegally using it, you faggot.
>>
>>336010025
They didn't make an original world, models, lore, brand, etc.

If they took all that and made an original game from it you might have a leg to stand on, as it is they took all that and then used it to run someone elses game.
>>
>>336010085
>They didn't make an original world, models, lore, brand etc.

None of this is in server code. This is all in the client, which Nost did not change or modify in any way. They simply made a server that other people, using a client they had legally licensed, could connect to.
>>
>>336010175
>using a client they had legally licensed
ffs the "legally licensed" part means they have to pay Blizzard 15 bucks to use. How do you not get this?

You buying the game CD doesn't entitle you to use it for perpetuity. Blizzard is not selling you WoW, they're selling you access to the WoW service.

I can't believe people are this dumb. You can argue, for example, that Vanilla WoW would qualify as "abandoned property", but only a full retard would go "hurr, not copyright infringement".
>>
>>336010175
THAT.IS.STILL.ILLEGAL.

Holy fuck. That is still a blizzard product in the end, no matter if the actual server belonged to someone else. You simply cannot legally host a company's MMO on a server you own without their express consent. Obviously Nost didn't have Blizzard's consent since they got shut the fuck down.
>>
>>336010272
there you go quoting a TOS that isn't enforceable in the EU again. you're argument is pretty invalid
>>
>>336010175
But that's not how the licence works. Your WoW licnece lets you connect to blizzard, and only blizzard. So you aren't allowed to do that, other people aren't allowed to make their own servers and have people connect to it. These are just not things you're allowed to do.
>>
>>336009624
>assets
Besides details like the server sending a string like "Thrall" to the client, no they aren't.

>art
Looking at the website as it was in Archive.org, I think there's one picture of a dwarf that is Blizzard's (and I wouldn't be surprised if it was in a fansite kit), I'm pretty sure the others are fanart that are copyrighted by someone but not Blizzard.

>Brand/"IP"
It's branded as Nostalrius, there doesn't seem to be even a mention of World of Warcraft or other Blizzard trademarks.
>>
>>336010337
>It's branded as Nostalrius, there doesn't seem to be even a mention of World of Warcraft or other Blizzard trademarks.
Except, you know, THE ENTIRE FUCKING GAME.
Jesus fucking Christ you have to be trolling, no one is this goddamn retarded.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 72

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.