[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay, I'm ready to jump in. Which version should I get?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: MystCover[1].png (109 KB, 256x307) Image search: [Google]
MystCover[1].png
109 KB, 256x307
Okay, I'm ready to jump in. Which version should I get?
>>
File: 124514124.png (153 KB, 256x307) Image search: [Google]
124514124.png
153 KB, 256x307
>>335936216
This one.
>>
realMyst from 2001
>>
>>335936652
original Myst and it's ports is a better introduction.
>>
Myst is a cult classic for true gamers.
>>
>>335938670
Shouldn't you be in the /thinkpad/ general?
>>
realmyst 2001, not the more recent realmyst. It runs like shit and the UI sucks.
>>
realMyst.

It has full free movement. Also the original looks like ass now.

Don't get any of the remakes, they're awful. At least realMyst Masterpiece is, I haven't played regular Myst Masterpiece.
>>
>>335938615
But Riven is a better game.
>>
REALMYST 2001!
>>
>>335938997

Riven is what people think Myst is, undoable without a guide.

And don't pretend you figured out the coloured balls puzzle on your own, there's no shame in admitted you needed help for it.
>>
>>335938910
Myst ME is supposed to have slightly higher quality images and rendered animations. I think there's an additional Age too somewhere. It will be harder to get it running due to specific Quicktime requirements.
>>
>>335938997
Even if what you say is true, why would you play out of order.
>>
>>335939104
Riven has less "obvious" puzzles. Puzzles that don't appear as standard puzzles.

While I had problems with understanding the fire marbles in the end I got through it on my own. Funny I don't remember how it exactly worked though I only finished the game a year ago.
>>
>>335938997
Riven is missing content.
"See that cool beehive tree? Though luck you can't explore it"
>>
>>335939314
Because original Myst looks like ass, it's 3d remakes look even worse and there is no epic backstory in Myst you definitely need to experience before playing Riven.
>>
7th guest called. it said myst sucks dick
>>
>>335939629
>3d remakes look even worse

Original realMyst is pretty consistent. There is a lack of environment animations but overall it doesn't feel dated.
>>
>>335939104
>And don't pretend you figured out the coloured balls puzzle on your own
Does it count if I thought of the solution and went "there's no way that's what I have to do" then eventually looked up a guide and found that it was the right solution? At the time I couldn't believe you had to look for the domes in those 3D grids.
>>
>>335939467

The problem I have with Riven is how big the world is. You pull a lever on one side of the world and it does something on the other side.
In Myst each age was its own contained world.
The balls puzzle is the culmination of that, a huge puzzle that takes place over the entire map.
>>
Recommend me some games like the Myst series please.

So far I've played and enjoyed:
Dark Fall: The Journal
Dark Fall II: Lights Out
Necronomicon: The Dawning of Darkness
Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder
Scratches
>>
you can literally finish this game in 90 seconds.
>>
>>335939974

7th Guest
>>
>>335939974
Rhem autism simulator
http://www.rhem-game.com
It even got a new game this year and it's their very first release on Steam
>>
>>335939974
11th hour
>>
>>335940084

Truly the Gone Home of its time. ;)
>>
>>335939974
Pyst.
>>
>>335939718
>puzzles are each localized to one area and aren't really original ideas, they're more like the fun section of a newspaper, like a word scramble
>when you take too long doing puzzles the villain says shit like "this is boooring" and "*snore*" - it's not a good idea to keep badgering the player to hurry, especially when they're trying to do something that requires thinking
>the walking animation takes forever and you can't skip it - yeah it's cool at first but it gets tedious fast
>corny acting, corny story, nonsensical ending
>>
File: 1aPsvlr.png (17 KB, 651x641) Image search: [Google]
1aPsvlr.png
17 KB, 651x641
>>335940248
Literally 90s humor the game. The cringe inducing ones that is.
>>
>>335940481
Also: it's not the fun kind of corny, it's the boring/bad acting kind.

To be fair, I played Myst as a kid and only played 7th Guest recently.
>>
>>335939974
I love Shivers and Shivers 2.

Shivers is very much like the first Myst. Shivers 2 is like a corny Twin Peaks homage.
>>
>>335940483

They made a bunch of terrible parodies of popular software like that.

This 'game's' entire 'joke' is "Bill Gates is really successful and rich, therefore he is an awful person".
>>
>>335940935
>Shivers
Oh fuck yes, that's exactly what I was trying to remember.
>>
Print out a walkthrough or have it on another screen, Myst and Riven are totally unplayable without.
I don't believe anyone but a super genius/autist can beat those games alone.
>>
>>335941518
You can easily crunch through myst in an afternoon.
Riven I have no idea, still haven't gotten around to finishing it.
>>
>>335941518

I'm terrible at adventure games but I found Myst to be relatively easily due to the lack of an inventory and each age being a contained world.

Riven is a nightmare though.
>>
>>335941518
Honestly, I think it has more to do with how experienced you are with puzzle games. Like if I forgot all the puzzle solutions and replayed them now, I think I could probably figure out Myst without help, and at least most of Riven.
>>
>>335941518
I have literally beaten the firemarble puzzle from scratch.

It was glorious weekend.
>>
>>335941518
I played them when I was young and thus had a lot of free time and few responsibilities, but I got through most of the games myself. I got through Channelwood and Selenetic myself, but weirdly got stuck with getting out of the elevator in Mechanical Age, I guess I just couldn't think out of the box. I think I cheated for like all of Stoneship.
>>
File: riven35.gif (106 KB, 649x420) Image search: [Google]
riven35.gif
106 KB, 649x420
>>
>>335943021
Forgetting the triple mutual exclusion part of the eye shape-colour, aren't we?
>>
>>335942993

I cheated for the elevator puzzle and I feel no regrets.
I knew what the solution was, it just took forever to constantly go up and down checking different combinations.
Those are the worst puzzles, where know what to do is easy, but the 'hard ' part is the execution.

Same goes for the observatory puzzle. Everyone instantly knows what to do there, it's just a matter of inputting all the different combinations.
>>
>>335939891
>You pull a lever on one side of the world and it does something on the other side.
When was that? Are you thinking of the levers that let you move the telescope? I think they are actually physically very close to it, but you have to jump through a lot of hoops to actually reach them.
>>
>>335943403

I didn't mean literal levers, it was just an example I meant there are puzzles where something on one side of the map is related to something on the complete other side of the map.You don't have that in Myst.
>>
>>335939891
Riven is a lot more tolerable with a full install and zip mode. On 5 CDs it's a nightmare though, I agree.

>>335939158
Myst ME runs perfectly fine even on Windows 10. The secret is to use QuickTime 6.5.2 and install the extra codecs (can't remember what exactly the option is called in the installer).

The original 5 CD version of Riven also installs and runs great (compared to later releases), but you'll need a 32 bit InstallShield stub from PCGW and there's a patch I found in some GoG thread to get it to look for QuickTime in its own install directory.
>>
>>335941518
>>335942993

I played them when I was like 14 and I manged to finish most of the game by myself except for the underground train enigma in the desert world that you reach with the rocket. I didn't have internet or a guide back then so I just gave up. I looked up the actual solution maybe a decade later.

I still managed to finish all the other worlds. I remember the elevator you're talking about, funny thing is that there's a similar "trick" in dark souls 3, in the church.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.