[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just bought this after finishing the Mass Effect Trilogy. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 13
I just bought this after finishing the Mass Effect Trilogy. What should I expect?
>>
Dialogue is pretty similar, combat is lackluster compared to ME.
Instead of loyalty missions you can give gifts to your companions or act in ways they approve.

It's pretty much a dating sim.
>>
>>335924513
>It's pretty much a dating sim.

Should I return it then?
How does the story compare?
>>
>>335924513
speaking of what are the best dating sims out there? never played one
>>
>>335924689

Katawa Shoujo
>>
>>335924687
The beginning and end are pretty good, middle game can get boring.
Thing is, you don't get to know all of your companions closely like you do on ME.

Not a bad game though, not as good as ME is all.
>>
I enjoyed Origins, shame they never made a sequel.
>>
>>335924340
rpg that hasn't aged well but is still worth a playthrough. Don't let the individual beginnings fool you, some of them are quite boring, some are pretty great.
>>
>>335924340
Best of the series.

Spiritual successor of BG. If you like western rpgs this is your thing
>>
>>335924340
You should expect a better game.

It's on par with the world-building that ME1 had.
But the combat is very well done.
>>
Story is quite good. Companions are extremely likable. The combinations of race and origin are nice and play into the game's story pretty well. Definitely worth a play.
>>
>>335924340
A pretty great game with a lot of focus on the details.
>>
the most generic fantasy land imanginable, complete with "an ancient evil has awoken" and a story that tries to be grandious but is so cliche that it's laughable
>>
>>335924827
>Thing is, you don't get to know all of your companions closely
confirmed for never playing the game, or just retarded
>>
>>335924340
Origins is alright, as far a Bioware goes. Don't bother with DAII or Inquisition, they are unpolished, unfinished turds.

Origins is a self-contained story with no need for a sequel, so you're better off enjoying this game for what it is and then laying it to rest when you're done.
>>
>>335924340
good game with nice combat mechanics, enjoyable characters and pretty mediocre/bad story
>>
WoW with a worse story, worse setting, worse mechanics, and no multiplayer
>>
>>335924340
install a few quality of life mods
if u care u can upgrade the textures with a mod
its not bad
>>
File: morrigan.gif (2 MB, 451x254) Image search: [Google]
morrigan.gif
2 MB, 451x254
>>335924996
Also Morrigan is best girl.

Fight me faggots.
>>
a shit game with shit combat, shit compantions, and shit writing. anyone who says otherwise is just so starved for wrpgs that they'll eat anything that even touches on mediocre.
>>
>>335925221
I wish her ending wasn't such BS.
>>
File: index.jpg (13 KB, 195x258) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
13 KB, 195x258
>>335925179
>>
>>335924782
is that really the best one or is this just a joke I mean I know its really popular isn't like the video game equivalent of boku no pico?
>>
>>335925397
In Awakening if you do your choices properly you can actually get the Grey Warden to go with her through the portal.

It's a pretty nice ending, though cannon is still the she runs away and GW chases thing.

And Inquisition is irrelevant, who gives a shit about that one.
>>
>>335925221
>generic emo witch cunt with no tits who fucks you over
versus
>upstanding, pure and beautiful red headed Leliana

top fucking kek mate
>>
Backtracking in the Fade, and the Deep Roads never seeming to end also backtracking. Best take on elves in a fantasy setting
>>
>>335925658
>Leliana
>Pure
>Being this delusional in the year 2016 of our lord Jesus Christ.

Come on now anon, even you don't believe that.
>>
>>335925623
I just finished Origins like half an hour ago. Haven't started Awakening yet.

I don't understand why she had to run off to raise her child. I wanted a happy anime friends ending with everyone in my party and I didn't get it so I'm sad.
>>
>>335925221
Wynne and Shale are better
>>
>>335925812
The ending for Origins was great though, a little bittersweet, but well done.

Awakening gives you more options though.

Play all the DLCs, they're pretty good.

Leave Witch Hunt for last
>>
>>335924340
Not as good as BG
>>
File: Alistair approves.gif (1 MB, 318x164) Image search: [Google]
Alistair approves.gif
1 MB, 318x164
>>335925221
Yes, she's the best girl for slapping. Grey Wardens do whatever it takes to win, and to shut a bitch up.
>>
Bretty good, probably better than Mass Effect in fact. Story is very generic but I kind of feel like it adds to the charm. Characters are pretty likable, not really having any weak links like ME did with Ashley, Kaiden or Liara. Gameplay is alright, kind of slow but easily better than the 'faster' gameplay of DA2. Speaking of which, avoid it like a plague. I never played Cisquisition so no comment on it.

It's also highly modable if you are into that sort of thing.
>>
Why is Dragon Age 2 universally considered to be dogshit? Surely it has at least a couple redeeming factors? Tits maybe? Haven't played it yet.
>>
>>335924340
Overpowered mages, no explicit morality system, dating sim elements (as usual), a pause button, a few good companions, and an ok plot with interesting monsters and a relateable bad guy.
>>
>TOP TIER
Alistair
Morrigan
Wynn

>MID TIER
Leliana
Sten
Zevran

>WORST TIER
Oghren
>>
>>335926641
It's considered shit because it has no redeeming features.

Play it if you want, you can pirate it easily these days, but you'll regret wasting your time on it.
>>
>>335926641
Tits are not a "redeeming factor" for a really bad game unless you have an IQ of 30.
>>
>>335926462
2 pretty much fucked up everything, even the Dalish elves. The "best" girls in DA2 are your sister and a manish guard captain
>>
>>335926641
Wave combat, Repetitive environments. The third act is very unfinished. Some very retarded companions and characters.

The second act was okay. And the friendship rivalry system had potential but most people misunderstood it and thought it as approval.
>>
>>335926641
The default femHawke is pretty hot, especially if you remove the manjaw.

Yeah that's basically it.
>>
>>335926462

>Liara

She always sounded so tired and defeated in 2-3. I'm kind of expecting her to become a bad guy in a hundred years or so.
>>
>>335926746
>Oghren
Because nobody spends more than two minutes with this guy.
>>
>>335924340
The 2nd best game ever made. Have fun anon.
>>
>>335924340
>What should I expect?
Morrigan disapproving
>>
>>335927217
He's got some alright bantz, Zevran surprisingly has the best banter
>>
File: Morrigan Disapproves.jpg (32 KB, 340x449) Image search: [Google]
Morrigan Disapproves.jpg
32 KB, 340x449
>>335927276
>>
>>335924827
So you haven't even played it but you are posting about it like you have?

Why do you do this when people who have played it know you are full of shit?
>>
Morrigan/Zevran/Sten was the top bantz party.
>>
>>335926641
It has some of the laziest, most blatantly reused assets I have ever seen. The team made about three dungeons, one for each type of environment the player encounters, and just mixed up the start/end locations and threw the odd bit of debris in the way. It's sub-procedural generation-tier, because it isn't even like the dungeon is randomized.

They literally just mix up the grab bag of star/end locations and pathing, and you run through the exact same dungeon. So really all they made was one house, one cave, one deep road zone, one City Street zone and that's about it. Combine that with button mash combat against waves of the same enemies over and over, and you've got some of the most tiresome gameplay mixed with the worst level design Bioware has ever shat onto a disc and sold for full retail price.

Then there's the ps1-era npcs standing right out in the open for all to see, the sprites they have in the background, and the ridiculous character models. Bethany's hands are a good example of this, since they seem to have mixed up her hands with that of an old woman's.

And speaking of Bethany, the characters in this game, with a few exceptions, are just pure garbage, within a story about nothing that goes nowhere. Literally all the conflict DAII leads up to and end without resolving is dropped from the second you press start in DA:I.

Inquisition wasn't great, I strain to even consider it good, but it was closer to Origins than DAII.

To anyone on the fence about purchasing, or even pirating DAII: It's not worth it. Any amount of effort to put this game in your hands is too much effort.
>>
>>335924340
Awesome game.Really good.
>>
>>335927348
>bi son-of-a-whore sex assassin
>surprising he has the best banter
It's in the job description m8
>>
>>335927653
I want more dickass spaniards in my rpgs.

The world could use a couple more Zevrans, and it desperately needs an infusion of Inigo Montoya.
>>
>>335926641
Most compelling story of the series, Hawke is an interesting player character and you're offered some creativity when building a character's skills. Arguably has the best companions as well. Don't go in with any expectations honestly, you might like it despite its well documented flaws.
>>
>>335927751
You can be the dickass spaniard in Expeditions Conquistador.
>>
File: 1460942679638.png (169 KB, 447x447) Image search: [Google]
1460942679638.png
169 KB, 447x447
>play origin
>pick every option that lets me release a dangerous demon or kill people
>like that one guy outside ostagar
>"Allistar: he just needs some bandages"
>I just pull out my rape dagger and end him
>"Allistar: "wat the fuck"
>>
>>335927653
Yeah but son of a whore, and assassin made me immediately think of edgy elf, with a chip on his shoulder.
>>
>>335924513
are you stupid? what the fuck are you talking about??

You have to play the game with it's DLC OP. Especially the Shale character DLC. He's one of the best characters. What can you expect? A more meaningful experience with choices that have greater affect than in Mass Effect. You have a lot of solutions depending on which location you visit first. There are questlines that have like 6 ways to approach them. Taking different characters with you now means something. Different options, dialogue, and even betrayals depending on your choices.

Play all the Origin Stories if you can. Don't play on the hardest difficulty setting, since it makes some locations of the game too hard to visit early. I never romanced anybody, and the game never pushed you too much into that. Unlike later games.

>>335926641
I liked the Qunari interactions in 2. But it's not worth the time
>>
>>335928472
>exterminating elves at every opportunity
>>
>>335928572
>He
>>
>>335928571
Yeah, I like that he's neither.
>>
>>335928572
>He
>>
>>335928572
>unlike later games
a dialogue option
>>
why do people say the drgon age characters were good?

>cunt
>old cunt
>french cunt
>whiny fag
>literal fag
>fart jokes
>big guy
>a dog
>>
>>335924340
Long and tedious
>>
>>335928652
>not being the elven version of the bride and killing humans at every opportunity
city elf origin was fantastic
>>
>>335924924
Oh you.
>>
>>335924827
This person has not played the game.

DAO is all about the companions stories and how you want to treat them.
>>
>>335929201
Kill Bill is overrated and not very good.
>>
File: dis is a game.jpg (55 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
dis is a game.jpg
55 KB, 640x640
>>335928472
>play origin
>pick every option that lets me kill a demon or save people
>like that one demon at Honneleth
>lie to it and then kill it saving the little girl
>"Morrigan: "wat the fuck"
I've made the world a better place.
>>
>>335929256
doesn't matter, going on a semi-justified killing spree against everyone that wronged you is just damn fun
>>
>>335924687

Some people get really into it, some people don't.

Give yourself a few hours to play it. The only major problem with mid game is the Fade, but you should really play through the Fade once before you mod it out.

The origins system is still one of the best ideas Bioware ever had. If they had implemented it better, and implemented it over the whole series.
>>
>>335924513
>combat is lackluster
No shit, this one plays like a traditional CRPG
ME was a shooter with hotkeys
>dialogue was pretty similar
There's no wheel
>dating sim
Meh, probably a third of the time.

Why do people speak on things they never played
>>
exterminate the humans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqUhRL_E5FU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYA47tuxMGc
>>
It's built to be an offline WoW with original Bioware writing and world building. The combat is point and click auto attack with hotkeys for abilities/spells.

Keep in mind this is before Bioware went totally shit. You can look back at origins and see bits of it starting to take root, but for the most part it's a solid game. It has some dragging or boring parts that people will tell you to mod to skip. But you should at least play through them your first time just to see it.

The Deep Roads is just one long 3 hour dungeon crawl that people get bored of. But it has a pretty interesting hook. The Fade is two dungeons combined to make a 2 hour dungeon crawl. One is storming the tower, and the other is in the fade itself.
>>
>>335929436
>and implemented it over the whole series
I think DA:O had a long, expensive dev period since it was the beginning of the franchise, a bit like Shenmue. There was no way they would've carried over that much development into the later games, it would've been at least 5x the work to get all the various threads worked in. That's why it works better as a standalone game. After the ME3 fiasco I doubt we'll see anything that ambitious again.
>>
File: bait.jpg (13 KB, 360x361) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
13 KB, 360x361
>>335925118
>the most generic fantasy land imanginable
>>
Human Noble, Dwarf Noble and racist Elf Mage are the only acceptable origins.
>>
>>335925149
Inquisition is perfectly average. Worth a 20 bucks. If anything they over reacted to DAII and made the game too dense with pointless bullshit. They did bring back race selection that probably pops up just as often as it did in Origins and there's a shit ton of land mass to explorer. Combat is like a weird hybrid of Origins and II. It's still a mash button to attack instead of point and click. But there's isometric option if you want.
>>
>>335925118
That would be dragons dogma
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 354x312) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 354x312
If you can't be fucked playing the videogame, just listen to all the party banter montage videos on youtube. They're all entertaining and interesting, especially DA2's - surprisingly. It's almost like a drama CD.
>>
Awakening got the best OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyq4B3CQxgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUusiRBqtco
>>
>>335929842
It's pretty generic anon.
>>
>>335929753

Yeah, you're right anon. Still, it's nice to dream a little bit.

What I would have liked to see is the origin system - and the way they did characters in Awakenings. You could play your Warden from Origins, or make a new character with a new origin and back story.
>>
>>335927217
Oghren tries to fuck old mage lady. He got dumped by his gf for trying to fuck a cooked turkey on the table in front of her whole family. He's the fun drunkard.
>>
File: 123985601.png (230 KB, 580x377) Image search: [Google]
123985601.png
230 KB, 580x377
>>335930151

>generic
>>
>>335930151
Name one fantasy game that isn't generic.
>>
>>335930151
Define generic in this case
>>
File: 1461517867369.gif (359 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
1461517867369.gif
359 KB, 360x240
meme classes are immortal tank mage, rogue and maybe all 2h classes

what non viable class should i roll instead
>>
>>335930673

What that anon intends to say is that the world for DA is cliche and trope-heavy.
>>
>>335930695
Archery warrior.

Except it gets to be the highest dps class in Awakening so eh.
>>
>>335930442
>cucked by a lesbian cause his wife was a sassy bitch who don't need no man
I'd have been drunk all the time too
>>
>>335930576
Morrowind.
>>
>>335930835
Eldar Scrolls is generic fantasy anon.
>>
>>335925118

My GOTYAY is generic as fuck and still managed to make me want to play it every year for over a decade.
>>
>>335930973
Which game is that?
>>
>>335930908
Elders Scrolls is either a setting or a series, but Morrowind is a game.
>>
>>335925118

It really isn't, especially with the stuff they added in ds3. The way they made it that all religions have the same origin and deities being the "real people" was really neat and not something that is explored often.
>>
>>335930908
Do you actually know anything about TES? I mean, down to stuff like the Pankratosword and the obvious CHIM and the cosmology itself?
>>
>>335931104

Morrowind is set in that setting and draws all its lore and art design from the series.

Stop being contrarian.
>>
>>335931072
Gothic 2
>>
>>335931164
>muh complex cosmology
D&D was there first if we're talking about games, Tolkien and even Norse myth if we're talking about settings. That being said some anons won't be satisfied with fantasy unless it takes place in some extremely alien land, in which case they should probably be into sci-fi instead.
>>
>>335931215
>Stop being contrarian.
Anon, you are the contrarian by trying through mental gymnastics to tell me that the fantasy-rpg with the most alien landscapes, creatures and most interesting lore is generic.
>>
>>335931403
This, Morrowind itself is incredibly unique, nor has there been anything quite like it
>>
>>335931403

Keep spinning those tired memes, anon.
>>
>>335924340
the last game bioware made that can actually be called an rpg, its amusingly edgy and definitely worth playing
>>
>>335931403
>>335931481
In terms of Dunmer culture? It's not that unique--you've got the merchants, the mages, and the warriors forming the main factions. The land itself is actually very generic plus some generic fantasy shrooms and a big volcano for some flavor. When it comes to fantasy it's more important to flesh everything out, rather than just go for novelty value. Morrowind does do that so people get into it, which is good, but it's not really anything mind-blowing in terms of setting when you really get down to it.
>>
>>335924340
Morrigan, Sten and Zevran team reporting.
Being a dick is fun in DA:O.
>>
Fantasy is generic by design adn there's nothing wrong with that. It's not the setting you use it's how you use it. It's what you do with it and make it special that causes it to stand out.

Even Tolkien is generic. Even Robert E Howard is generic. It's just all based on age old mythology, camp fire stories, and even old poetry. It's what you bring to it and the stories you tell.

Anything else isn't really fantasy. It's a weird hybrid or sub genre, like steam punk fantasy.
>>
>>335932065
it's not medieval europe and that makes it leagues better than most fantasy games off the bat
>>
>>335932234
>it's not medieval europe
You do realize fantasy as a setting is based on medieval Europe and folke lore?

If you think Morrowind doesn't have a lot of medieval European influences you are obviously American.
>>
File: Grand_Council_Chambers.png (2 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Grand_Council_Chambers.png
2 MB, 1280x960
>>335932234
>it's not medieval europe
A good chunk of it is, they're never far away. The Dalish elves and Dwarves aren't exactly medieval Europe either. Like I said earlier, there are other genres that specialize in weird settings if certain fantasy tropes bother you that much. If the next TES game is set in Valenwood or something people will probably complain about "European forests".
>>
>>335930576
PS:T
>>
>>335930576
Arcanum.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.