[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will Valve actually release HL3? For what reason did they delay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: half-life-3.jpg (18 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
half-life-3.jpg
18 KB, 640x360
Will Valve actually release HL3?
For what reason did they delay it so much?
>>
Valve's work schedule literally involves people doing what they want. They've said before nobody wants to work on HL3 so no progress have got done on it.

They could just update DotA forever and basically never have to make another game ever again.
>>
they're too busy making crate money to release another single player game
>>
>>335914891
Who would want to work on something you know is gonna get trash reviews because high expectations.
>>
>>335914891
>Valve's work schedule literally involves people doing what they want

I know that, but wasn't that schedule introduced lately? When they released HL2E3 they still had different teams working on differen project, isn't it?

Do they actually have/had plans for HL3?
>>
>>335915350
They have never had set in stone plans for HL3. As far as i know i think they started development on Episode 3 but scrapped it and never started development up again besides very early developmental shit. HL3 is probably never going to be released, this is a reality.
>>
>>335914891
People have come out and said that bohemian company structure is pretty much a lie that Valve tells to seem more likeable
>>
>>335914747
they are more likely to release half life 2 - episode 3 as a massive troll.
>>
m8 it will have vr features when it comes out in 2023
>>
File: 1411415427749.jpg (91 KB, 553x827) Image search: [Google]
1411415427749.jpg
91 KB, 553x827
>>335914747
>For what reason did they delay it so much?

Probably a series of non stop setbacks. They remade TF2 in like 5 different forms before actually releasing a finished game

>well lets make episode 3
>make it but it's not quite right
>by the time they sort out the issues they don't want to make it episodic anymore
>scrap the game
>remake the game again differently
>something else is wrong
>by the time they sort it, realise that Source engine 1 is too old
>scrap the game and start remaking it in source 2 after a few years
>scrap it again because of some new issue
>etc...

That's probably what happened. It's probably just a load of bits and pieces from different time periods now
>>
>>335915710
So which one is telling the truth
>>
>>335915710

Also it's kind of odd to imagine such a big company working like that. Valve will fail in less than 1 month if they actually waited for the right inspiration to make content
>>
>>335914747
There's too much hype behind it. It'll be like Duke Nukem Forever; years and years of delay, hype, and memes. If it ever does get released and isn't the greatest game of all time, Valve is going to look like a bunch of incompetent fags. Moreso than they do now.
>>
I think that it's ironic that Valve chose to do Portal 2 over HL3 and then not do HL3 because of its inability to be a "software as a service" game, considering how many great innovations Portal 2 made that would have been great for a Half-Life game.

The dynamic music in Portal 2, the voice-free co-op, the way the story occurred around you, and the connection you have to the characters are all things that would have made Half-Life 3 still seem cutting edge compared to contemporary games.
>>
>>335917983
To expand on this, the portal gun would have complemented Half-Life's methods of platforming perfectly, and could have had some great combat applications.

We don't know what the F-Stop mechanic actually was, but it possibly could have been as unique for Half-Life as the Gravity gun was for HL2.

What kind of weapon would make use of new technology as well as the gravity gun used the new physics engine? I'd say some type of weapon that allows you to alter terrain and level layout mid-combat, kind of like Red Faction but... not shitty.

Despite what a lot of people think, I think there's plenty of room for innovation in a first-person shooter still. Both HL 1 and 2 changed the way storytelling was done in games in their times, but in the years since most games don't go very far beyond what 2 did. I think there's room for the story surrounding the player to be far more dynamic without relying on scripting, and I really hope a HL3 comes out some day that pushes technology to tell better stories and not just be movies with shooting galleries.
>>
>>335914747
Idk this is just my guess, maybe they're holding on to it as some sorta last resort if they ever go out of business, even though that will probably never happen.
>>
>>335919494
If that's the case they're even more delusional than Square is about the VII remake. Pretty much every IP they've bought or created since Half-Life has been far more lucrative. A L4D3 or Portal 3 or Team Fortress 3 or even fucking Dota 3 would make them much more money than Half-Life 3 would.
>>
>>335917983
>try to put cosmetics in Portal 2 co-op
>literally no one gives a shit

This is basically why HL3 will never exist. Valve's never going back to games that don't perpetually feed them money.
>>
>>335914747
I don't really understand why they can't produce the game with other developer. Things seems to be really fucked up in there.
>>
they're waiting for VR to be better. HL3 will be VR only. screenshot this post
>>
I call it the George Lucas effect.
>>
>>335914747
so reddit can continue to meme
>>
File: 1461822555037.gif (1 MB, 405x280) Image search: [Google]
1461822555037.gif
1 MB, 405x280
>>335920883
That's what i was thinking as well.
>>
The writer for the half-life series left recently too.

But really the main reason is this
>>335920704

Honestly, why would they make a game that cuts into their own market share? CS:GO, TF2, and DOTA2 is making shit loads of money. They are just transitioning to making money.

Look at Blizzard. See how long it takes them to make a new game? When do you think a new RTS will come out?
>>
>>335914747
>he still thinks valve is a game developer
>>
>>335914891
>Valve's work schedule literally involves people doing what they want
Don't fall for that PR guff. Valve might have a seemingly 'flat' structure in place but there are definitely 'incentives' for working on certain projects over others.
>>
>>335920883
Dead on. With Valve's newest VR tech going out there, I wouldn't be surprised if Valve was saving HL3 as a title for that machine just to make waves. All Source engines are outdated and they're cradling that bitch until it's a guaranteed billion dollars.
>>
they are working on source 2, so obviously they arent going to release HL3 on source 1, when source 2 is almost ready
>>
>>335920704
Yeah, exactly. I don't know why they don't understand that different games have different needs for how they should be monetized. Competitive multiplayer games are played over and over again with tons of different players, so cosmetics make sense, but with Portal's co-op no one is gonna play through more than twice at most, and with only one person at a time.

Plus, there's of course the fact that Portal 2 launched at $60 while TF2 and Dota are free and CS is like $15.

It's two different value propositions, with one your entry fee is heavily subsidized because you're going to play it for many, many hours over a long period of time, but with something like Portal or Half-Life, you're paying a higher fee up front because your time in the game is also going to be front loaded, and after you put in the time to complete the single player and co-op, you're unlikely to go back.

>>335920883
I didn't think of that, that makes good sense with how much they want to push VR, and it would complement how HL1 and 2 both pushed cutting edge technology.
>>
Remember during that paid mod hullabaloo where GabeN said something like "money is how the community steers work". That and the fact they seemed to think Portal 2 was some sort of failure indicates they don't want to do HL3 simply because they won't get paid enough to do it.
>>
They should just create a Tales of the Half Life and end it through that.
>>
>>335915486
The thing is that you can't know this. You can't know if they're working on it or not.

It'd make more sense to keep a team of selected, veteran Valve employees to work on HL3 while the rest can work on whatever they want.

This way they can ensure no leaks will happen and we get the same old guys working on the game. From what we know the game could be already finished.
>>
>>335914747
Singleplayer games don't make nearly as much money as F2P multiplayer games with a cash shop.
>>
File: Ham ham ham.jpg (242 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Ham ham ham.jpg
242 KB, 1280x720
Why would you want to work when you can milk retards with hats and gun skin garbage?
>>
>>335914747
>hl3 comes out
>new mark IV HEV suit
>huge crosshair
>regenerating shield
>Dr. kleiner/barney/alyx communicate with Gorden trough a huge as fuck com display
>it can carry 4 weapons at once
>2 ammo types(energy/kinetic)
>quest objective on screen
>>
>>335914747
>Will Valve actually release HL3?

No, because no one is working on it, and you are retarded.
Valve has explicitly told people it has not even considered at the time.

Valve focused on SteamOS in case MS did go along with the original plan to make Windows a closed system like iOS and they wanted to take Steam off the platform to take the gaming market for themselves. That was paranoid as fuck but around jews...

At this point who knows how many of the developers are left, most of them pursued careers elsewhere because Valve was not doing anything.

There won't even be a new Left 4 Dead, at best a new Portal if anything as a gimmick game for VR systems.

The future is F2P bullshit, it just generates much more revenue, there is no reason to work on a AAA game whatsoever, much less on one that has unrealistic expectations surrounding it. Even if it was HL2 again with the best bits of HL people would still consider a failure because expectations are still too retarded to be anywhere near realistic.

Now that smart people like myself, they would be surprised if the project was green lighted at all.
>>
>>335923419
>^^^ Level Up! ^^^
>+1 Perk Points
>Health and Armor Increased +2%
>>
Basically, gaming has been dead since the reality of Half Life 3 never coming into existence became real. Let's face it, they're not reviving the franchise. It's over. There's too much at stake with all the years and years of hype, that there's no way they could possibly deliver something fans would be blown away by. They know this, and thus don't bother. Not to mention the fact that it costs a fortune to make a AAA FPS with very little return. Valve is in it for the money ever since Steam, and making a game like this would be a dumb move.

I've felt dead inside for almost a decade now. The only thing that can really revive me is the day we get an official Half Life 3 announcement straight out of Gabe's mouth.
>>
File: nzc.gif (3 MB, 200x110) Image search: [Google]
nzc.gif
3 MB, 200x110
>>335915164
>>
>>335922769
That is quite the Redditarded post.
>There is no way to know, companies do not longer list projects, trademark sites in preparation. Freelancers do not longer list the projects they currently work on. VA do not longer list the characters they are voicing.
>20 guys are more than enough to create a videogame!
>Surely one of the companies with the worst track record of leaks next to Sony would be able to hide such a thing.
>They are working on it, they are just hiding it.
>Imagine how bad would it be if the whole world knew about it, all that free advertising and hype, it would be a marketing nightmare!

>Seriously it is a mystery but they could be working on it.

There is more to your retarded post, but the point is that you are one stupid son of a bitch.
How many times does it need repeating? How many Valve employees need to quit before it is ingrained into your dense skull?

As long people pay ludicrous amount of money for weapon skins, there is no need to risk capital on developing a videogame which will generate much less revenue than Dota 2 Compendium.
>>
>>335923803
>RPG elements are bad
Go fuck yourself Todd.
>>
>>335924658
most "RPG elements" in modern AAA games are shallow as fuck and only get in your way

do you like ubisoft games?
>>
Is this a thread where we pretend any Half Life game holds up at all?
>>
HL3 will make 4% of the money Dota 2 makes them a month. There's your reason.
>>
>>335914891
>>335915710
It's Gabe that is standing in the way of HL3. The fat fuck is too lazy to make it, and so that passes off on to everyone else.
>>
>>335924909
Judging from your post, this is the thread where we pretend we know shit about games we never played.
>>
>>335914747
>Will Valve actually release HL3?
No. There is no HL3.
Originally because a graphics-engine transition complicated efforts to reconcile an industry trend towards mocap cutscenes and Half-Life's tradition of having NPCs simply track you as they talked. The project eventually was just abandoned as Valve moved focus away from game development and onto running Steam, e-sports and developing new gadgets like SteamOS and SteamVR and shit.

There is no Half-Life 3 and there never will be. This is old news at this point.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.