[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard is it to build a PC? Keep in mind that I have the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49
File: tech_support_gore_14.jpg (40 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
tech_support_gore_14.jpg
40 KB, 700x394
How hard is it to build a PC?

Keep in mind that I have the mental capacity of an ape.
>>
it's lego
just buy all the bits then stick them together

start with the motherboard, then you know what CPU, GPU and RAM types to buy
>>
Somewhat hard. It's more complicated than assembling furniture but less than building a house of cards.
>>
Have you ever assembled a Lego set bigger than 5 pieces? You have a doctorate in assembling a computer if the answer is "yes". Just make sure to ground yourself(Touch something metal) so you don't fry any parts, and don't push too hard, but the RAM likes being a pain in the butt so it usually need some pushing.
>>
>>335914646
Just buy an alienware, they're designed for idiots like you OP.
>>
building a PC is easy, troubleshooting it can be a headache
>>
Ikea furniture is more challenging
>>
>>335914646
>Keep in mind that I have the mental capacity of an ape

Then steal one that is fully assembled.
>>
the worst part is sticking all those 1-pin plugs on the motherboard

jesus christ
>>
>>335914797
That and the CPU can be a pain.
CREEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
>>
prebuilts are cheaper now and you're going to regret doing it yourself if you get the nightmare scenario of the computer not working when assembled + having to figure out which part is a dud + go through the lengthy, intentionally pain in the ass RMA process
>>
>>335914646
>How hard is it to build a PC

Easier than you might think.
Harder than /v/ will tell you.

Any9ne that's not an idiot can buy mild a PC, but it's no cakewalk. Anyone that tells you "it's like legos" is lying to you.

Definitely do it over buying pre-built cancer, but don't expect a trial-less experience.
>>
File: block-asus.jpg (51 KB, 600x387) Image search: [Google]
block-asus.jpg
51 KB, 600x387
>>335914904
modern motherboards come with a jumper block
makes it a lot less fiddley
>>
When setting your CPU you have to put an alarming amount of pressure. Besides that its easy as legos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiwkSXAGxjE

Even a literal toddler can do it.
>>
Just buy a cheap ibuypower during one of their frequent sales. Boom, hardest part of building a pc (the wiring, especially those tiny as fuck i/o connectors) already done for you. Then just buy a better cpu and graphics card and pop em in.
>>
>>335914646
The hard part of building a computer is making sure everything is compatible.
https://pcpartpicker.com/
Helps with that.

Other than that assembly is straightforwards, literally slotting stuff in and keeping cables tidy.

Just read the manual on your mobo to make sure you're plugging in the right things where.
>>
>>335915053
This.
>>
>>335915067
mine didn't, it did have some stupid bracket you could snap all them into so you could plug them all in at once, but you still had to figure out the placement for yourself.
>>
>>335915067
My budget ASrock didn't. Shits labeled on the motherboard anyways so not like it effects me.
>>
>>335914646
Youtube it and above all else: READ THE MANUAL
>>
>>335914646
do CPUs still use pins? I got a new intel cpu recently and they have a honeycomb thing going on and no pins.

are amd the same now or what?
>>
>>335915067
Not all of them do.
My ASUS did.
My Gigabyte and ASRock didn't.
>>
>>335915229
I pc partpicker's power requirements calculator accurate? It's telling me it will need max 400-ish watts, but the graphics card I have says it needs min 600
>>
>>335914745

and make sure you know where to connect each cord, it's not as simple as clearly defined shapes going into clearly defined holes, some of them are nearly identical but are meant for very different purposes.
>>
>>335915473
iirc, amd still does
>>
>>335915473
Pins are on the motherboard. They are thinner then old style CPU pins so its easier for them to be damaged from improper install or straight factory fuckup.
>>
oh and i forgot to mention basically every part is specific and they all go where they are supposed to go on the motherboard and no place else.
>>
This is a good video on how to apply thermal paste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk
>>
>>335914646
Easier than trying to build a cupboard from ikea using the original ikea manual.
>>
File: wait for it.gif (1 MB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
wait for it.gif
1 MB, 600x600
>>335915725
>AMD
>>
>>335914646
don't fall for the PC meme OP
>>
>>335914917
Mine made a grinding/crunching sound as I locked it into place. Scared the fuck out of me.
>>
>>335915518
such as?

off the top of my head, you could get the PCI-E and CPU power cables mixed up, but I'm sure that the plugs have some rounded edges so you can't plug them into the wrong socket accidentally.
The 24+4pin motherboard cable cannot be confused with anything else
SATA is a standard
Molex is a standard
IDE is a (outdated) standard
PCI won't go into PCI-E and vice versa
CPU slots all have an arrow on the corner showing you which way to put things in.

It's all made to be simple
>>
>>335915498

If in doubt get as many watts as you can afford, your PSU will only ever supply as much power as the PC needs if there is a surplus but a lack can cause parts to be damaged. Having more watts also means you can upgrade later without worrying about power needs.

Also spend extra on a modular PSU, it's worth it to not have to fuck around with trying to keep a ton of useless cables out the way.
>>
It's easy but you can pay NCIX $50 to do it for you if you're scared. Either way don't build a new PC right now, for once the wait meme is actually true because new shit comes out in like a month or so.
>>
File: 1460690088050.png (423 KB, 600x798) Image search: [Google]
1460690088050.png
423 KB, 600x798
Ground yourself (or just buy an antistatic wrist strap). Watch a youtube guide. Read the instruction manuals. Don't forget to put thermal paste between the cpu and fan. And keep in mind a good number of cords you won't use.

The motherboard actually labels the plugs for you. sometimes even color codes.
>>
File: 1432124921070.jpg (145 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1432124921070.jpg
145 KB, 720x960
>>335914767
>building a house of cards is hard
nigga building card houses is fucking easy you just need worn out cards, not a new deck
>>
Three mistakes to avoid.

1. Do not push down on the CPU, simply place it. Often there is a lever that might require a small amount of pressure.
2. Do not shock the motherboard as it would destroy it, touch the case and possibly keep your hand on it whenever messing with the motherboard or better yet just wear rubber gloves if you want to be extremely safe.
3. Thermal paste should be pea size on the cpu, the rest of the tube is literally just extra. They don't expect you to use it all at once. If you want to be safe just buy a cpu that been pre-applied. Most are nowadays anyway. Generally you will never have to worry about changing the paste unless it been years later and the temp is noticeably higher.

Assuming you can avoid all of that, do your research to see which parts are good and which are bad based on the reviews, know what will work together then it is basically just legos. There are sites to compare GPUs and such for you. So use them.
>>
>>335915809
Case fan headers and front panel switches/LEDs are about the only thing you can fuck up by not looking at a diagram or whats printed on the board.
>>
>>335915603
>>335915663
I see. I was pleasantly surprised with the new design from Intel. I was afraid of fucking up even though I never died when I assembled/clean my PCs
>>
>look up instructions
>follow instructions
That's literally it for the building part. Lot of unscrewing and screwing. A monkey could do it.

>choosing the parts
That's relatively more complicated. Just a lot of review reading, price weighing, coupon finding, deal baiting, and budget adjusting...
>>
>>335915889
>Thermal paste should be pea size on the cpu, the rest of the tube is literally just extra

Depends on the CPU and where the actual dies are located under the shroud. Sometimes lines are better than dots. Either way I still spread that shit thin over the shroud just to be on the safe side.
>>
>>335914646
Its a rewarding experience. If you live in a 1st world country you can afford to fuck it up, too. Just google to see if someone used X mobo with Y gpu, and so just to be sure.
Also, always get a PSU thats well above your systems tdp.
Dont be afraid of bending your mobo a bit to get the cpu clamp in place, that shits scary.
>>
>>335914646
Don't you have a couple of webshops where you can order parts and have them be installed for you for a small fee? Downside is you have to order the most important parts at the same store but you don't have to mess about yourself and they make sure everything is working before shipping it.

If you don't like the oem prebuilts because of shitty component use it's the best option.
>>
>>335915858
I have a 125W Phenom II x6 1100t, and it ran 2 years straight without thermal paste, theres no need to be afraid about it.
>>
>>335915361
>>335915474
tweezers and a headlamp, boys

also, always plug that shit in before you go putting the GPU in
>>
>>335914646
Hardest part is compiling what you want to buy.
Just make sure you keep checking PC part picker frequently because the shit you might wanna buy might be out of print or stock by the time you want it.

The rest is follow basic instructions and exercising common sense, ie: don't touch any circuits with your bare hands unless you've grounded yourself by touching the metal on your PC case once every few minutes, or buy an anti static strap.

other than that, the only other hard fuck ups you could make is trying to jam the wrong cpu into the wrong motherboard.
>>
File: 1383503379366.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1383503379366.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>335915809
ever underestimate stupid people
>>
>>335915474
yeah my giga didn't either
>>
>>335916362
>fuckhuge capacitors

Thank god we've moved away from leaky cap crap.
>>
>>335915883
shut the fuck up faggot
>>
>>335916362
I'm gonna throw up
>>
DON'T FORGET THE MOTHERBOARD STANDOFFS
DON'T FORGET THE SWITCH ON THE PSU
MAKE SURE THE RAM SLOTS LINE UP AND MAKE SURE THEY CLICK
MAKE SURE YOUR GPU IS IN THE FASTEST PCIE SLOT
MAKE SURE YOUR SSD IS IN THE 6GB/S SLOT
GET A FULL MODULAR PSU, IT'S WORTH IT
SPEND MONEY IN THIS ORDER: GPU > CPU > PSU > OTHER GARBAGE
>>
>>335916097
linustechtips did a vid a few months ago. Literally the only "wrong" way to apply paste is to use too little.
>>
>>335914646
If you're retarded you're better off spending an extra $50 to have someone build it for you. Better yet, have a friend help you if you know anyone competent, that way you'll learn
>>
>>335916362
is that thermal paste?
>>
>>335916362
WHY
>>
>>335916693
no it's heat grease
>>
>>335916613
>MAKE SURE YOUR GPU IS IN THE FASTEST PCIE SLOT
wait what?
>>
File: 1426330817412.jpg (96 KB, 567x600) Image search: [Google]
1426330817412.jpg
96 KB, 567x600
>>335914646
Buy a pre-built pc from newegg or something. You'll most likely be guaranteed a good deal that includes most of the parts you want, a mouse, a keyboard, and Windows.

Worry about a monitor. That shit's expensive.
>>
>>335916613
>DON'T FORGET THE MOTHERBOARD STANDOFFS

I had a buddy call me up asking to come over and help him out because he tried to build his PC and it wasn't doing anything when he pressed the power button. Dude never installed the motherboard standoffs but of course it took me an hour or two to figure that out because the fact someone would do that didn't even enter my mind.
>>
>>335916362
AHHHHHHHHH
>>
File: 5VeyDf5.jpg (192 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
5VeyDf5.jpg
192 KB, 800x600
make sure you give everything a good wash when you get it
>>
>>335916970
antiseptic rubbing alcohol too to disinfect it of viruses
>>
Coming from someone who's owned two prebuilts, no matter what you do, don't buy a prebuilt, you're gonna get cheap OEM parts for RAM and storage, the PSU is gonna be unreliable and low wattage, the case will be small and crammed, you'll usually get a good CPU but they'll pair it with a terrible CPU, sometimes parts are soldered, sometimes you get a shitty custom BIOS that doesn't even allow you to do a reformat, if you buy a prebuilt over the price of $800 you'll usually get actual good parts but will get absolutely ripped off for them (compared to building yourself).

Your two options are:
A) Build it yourself, the hardest part is really the research/compatibility phase, building it is fairly easy, just remember the fucking stand-offs, don't be a twat.

B) Have a workshop build it for you in case you've got bad nerves, you specify parts to them or bring the hardware and then they'll usually charge $70 or so for putting it together, get a reputable workshop though, the last thing you want is for them to steal your high-tier parts and pretend like nothing happened.
>>
File: 1460595024535.jpg (84 KB, 794x708) Image search: [Google]
1460595024535.jpg
84 KB, 794x708
>>335916970
>Using that huge brush
Why? You're not going to get any of the gunk out, and soap and water is shit for cleaning PC hardware. Use a toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste with water instead. It'll take a lot longer, but the fluoride will make everything run faster and it cleans better.
>>
>>335917150
pair it with a terrible GPU*
>>
>>335916837
put that shit in the 3.0 x16 slot
>>
>>335916847
Pre-builts aren't as much of a price gouge as /v/ or /g/ would have you believe but the main benefit of building your PC is just familiarizing yourself with the components and becoming comfortable with opening up the case and working on them. Makes it just that much easier for upgrading, cleaning, troubleshooting, etc.
>>
post more computer part gore
>>
>standard atx case
>buy "atx" mobo
>none of the stand off holes in the upper right corner line up properly
>some are not even present on the mobo
So the whole right side of my mobo is free floating. Thanks for having me constantly worry that my mobo is eventually going to snap from the weight of my cooler Gigabyte!
...Not to mention the thrill of putting the ram slots, atx power, and usb headers all be located there too
>>
I didn't even know what the inside of a PC looked like when I made mine. I did get help with the cables tho, no idea how that guy managed to put it all neatly away. Oh and touch something metal every time you've touched something in it.
>>
>>335916970
Don't forget to scrub under the sandy bridges too.
>>
You generally have to look out for if your Motherboard, CPU, and RAM are all compatible. The motherboard is built around a CPU architecture, and only designed to work with that CPU'S socket. An Intel-Compatible Motherboard will never work with an AMD CPU, or vice versa. (Doesnt apply to GPUs, which work with any good motherboard through the PCIe bus). RAM is less of an issue, but be sure your CPU and Motherboard support that type of RAM (older DDR3 or the new DDR4). Make sure your power supply has enough watts to power all your components with a good few to spare.

When it comes to GPUs, I can only really tell you about Nvidia, but don't buy any GPU of theirs below the GTX *60 series, anything below Nvidia's "mid range" offering (cards with 60 after the hundreds digit) is underpowered shit that probably isn't worth your money. If you can't afford the latest new midrange, try and get last year's used. Just trust me, the GPU is the core of your gaming experience. Integrated graphics don't hold a candle to even the lowest-grade discrete cards.

The hardest part of building a PC is either cable management, or thermal paste installation. My best cable management advice is that those Garrotes are there to be used, for you to thread big cables along the back for an open airflow along the front of the motherboard. For thermal paste, it would be wise to invest in an extra tube of Arctic White, because thermal paste is incredibly easy to fuck up.
>>
>>335916837
x16, 8, and 4 all use the same slot size. You want your primary gpu in the x16
>>
The hardest parts are getting the confidence to close the hatch on the cpu despite thinking the sound it's making means it's breaking, matching header pins, putting the heat sink on, and not static shocking the board. It's really easy in general.
>>
>>335914646
why would you post this picture senpai :/
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 320x362) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 320x362
>>335914646
>that cpu pins
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IknbgnJLSRY
>>
File: 1342671083651.jpg (40 KB, 355x417) Image search: [Google]
1342671083651.jpg
40 KB, 355x417
>everyone ITT making a big deal out of thermal paste when i've been running my i5 with the stock heatsink/fan and standard pre-applied paste for 3 years now and it still runs perfectly cool
no seriously, they make those parts so that literally any retard can put them together with zero effort, stop making things more complicated than they need to be
>>
File: mouse.jpg (100 KB, 514x520) Image search: [Google]
mouse.jpg
100 KB, 514x520
dont forget to get moustraps
>>
>>335914646
Just google a guide or ask a forum for help. If you're not afraid of reddit there's a few subs dedicated to helping people build computers.

Don't go to pcmr though, it's just a dumping ground for twitter fights.
>>
>>335917257
They've been way better price/hardware-wise now tHan in quit a few yeas past. I honestly wouldn't mind reccing them to people that aren't as enthusiastic about the building and hardware.
>>
>>335916362

https://youtu.be/-_9m7xkzwnQ

Could you pass me the trimming tool?
>>
File: 1460080030075.gif (2 MB, 270x138) Image search: [Google]
1460080030075.gif
2 MB, 270x138
>>335918448
>Can you pass me the trimmer tool there?
>>
>>335917835
Define "cool"
>>
>>335914646
>>335914646
Do you have access to old computers parts? You can "practice" with those before to looks more modern and expensive shit. Even if you fucked up nothing of (very) value was lost.
>>
>>335914646
You probably already have a computer so you don't need to waste money building an entirely new one.
1. Get a 500 watt power supply unit. Most prebuilt PCs have cheap 250 watt power supply units which aren't good enough, as a good grahpics card will need at LEAST 300watts. The power supply unit is probably the easiest component to replace.
2. Get a good graphics card. Open open the case and just look for a slot on the mother board that says "PCIE x16" next to the slot. Make sure that slot is not occupied. This is where the new graphics card will go.
3. Get a new processor. This is probably the more difficult to replace of these three because it takes more knowledge to know if the new processor will be compatible with the computer. You'll want to figure this out yourself so you get something that works and don't lose money.
>>
>>335917881
Poor thing :(

I still don't get how it's positioned like that though?
>>
>>335914745
this dessssu
>>
>>335915769
>GTX 970 memer
>>
>>335918373
In America this may be. In the UK they still try and sell any old shit without full disclosure on the parts inside.

I gave my friend the option of having his built with an R9 390 but he requested a 970 because he seen it being used in the pre built one he wanted. I should've just built it anyway.
>>
>>335914646
>tfw bent pin on my USB 3.0 connector so I only can use my two USB slots on the front instead of all four

Any ideas how to fix? I'm scared of fucking with it too much.
>>
>>335915095
That kid doesn't look very white.
>>
>>335924316
Linus enjoys that Asian pussy.
>>
>>335923782
Bend them back.
>>
>>335914646
>How hard is it to build a PC?
It's impossible.
>>
>>335924316
His girl is asian.
>>
>>335914646
>How hard is it to build a PC?
It's really fucking hard, but still easier than Dark Souls 3.
>>
Its not as hard as it sounds. There is stuff to worry about, but so long as you READ THE MANUALS and watch stuff on Youtube about it, you should be A-OK. If possible, get a friend who has built one before to help walk you through it.
>>
>>335920243
Horrible advice, theres so many factors to consider

Socket size, type of ram, ect is ignored and have huge rammifications
>>
File: 1347140943417.png (79 KB, 577x524) Image search: [Google]
1347140943417.png
79 KB, 577x524
>>335915725
what the fuck
>>
>>335914646
Surprisingly easy.

The only hard part was putting the cpu in place.

The few crunches I heard scared me shitless.
>>
File: DSC_0108.jpg (2 MB, 3920x2204) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0108.jpg
2 MB, 3920x2204
Just buy a prebuilt, OP.

Don't fall for the meme.
>>
>>335914646
>> Keep in mind that I have the mental capacity of an ape.
you're on par with pretty much most /v/ users and even they managed to build some pcs
>>
>>335926043

Should've gotten an English manual.
>>
>>335926043
Or, buy all the parts from the same provider and ask them to build it for you. Most places will do it if you call them.
>>
>>335926043
What meme? It is literally cheaper to build your own, and when you do build your own, its easier to have an idea of what the problem is when you do, inevitably, run into a problem.
>>
It's Lego except it's easier because things can only go in the one place.
>>
>>335926950
>its easier to have an idea of what the problem is when you do, inevitably, run into a problem.
This is true.
>finished first pc build last week
>doing fine
>suddenly monitor got no signal and shit problem
>restarting seemed to fix it but it came back
>turn out the 2 pin in 6+2 pin for GPU power came loose
>no more problem since

It's good to be able to troubleshoot shit for yourself.
>>
>>335926950
>>335927189
Welcome to being competent with technology. It's very advantageous.
>>
>>335927369
>fix some simple electronic problem
>Wow, anon! Are you a wizard

Every time.
>>
File: dale face.gif (483 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
dale face.gif
483 KB, 300x169
>Building a decent PC costs 800+ dollaridoos
>It'll still be obsolete within a few years
>Then you have to open it back up and dig through the hellhole of wires again to replace shit
>>
>>335916613
never used a mobo that had standoffs
every case I've used has raised mounts already
>>
>>335927807
not true unless you dont even attempt cable management

only thing needs replacing is the gpu and maybe the cpu if you bought a piece of shit to begin with

if you need to replace your mobo, you're starting fresh anyway
>>
>>335916936
How did he even managed to hold it in place?
>>
>>335928009
only premium cases have room for cable management
>>
>>335928135
m8 what.

Only garbage cases don't have one.
>>
>>335928135
>premium cases
How much is premium for you?
>>
>>335928135
please. I got the cheapest piece of shit case from newegg for $25 and it has a panel in the back to shove all the wires

I didnt bother for my first build but I DO have that option
>>
well our local shops have a guy who just build our pc for us whatever parts you have weather you have bought from them or anywhere else they just fit them in for us for harsly 2 $
>>
>>335928135
You need a modular system to cable manage anyways.
>>
>>335927807
I built a pc with a 760 in 2014 and it was still playing game pretty decently until the PSU died about a week ago

Don't buy lame ass Corsair PSUs
>>
>>335928531
Please.
>>
>>335920319
Upside-down computer + rigor mortis
>>
Just don't fall foir the "don't use too much thermal paste!" shitters. As long as it is nonconductive (like 99% of it is these days) you can slather that shit all over the motherboard and it won't hurt anything.. The ONLY way you can fuck up with thermal paste is use too little so make sure you put as much as you think you need, then put more.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (3 KB, 150x117) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
3 KB, 150x117
>building pc is shit easy
>done it many times for friends, family, and myself
>still worried I hooked something up wrong and will end up burning something out the first time I power them on
I'm not the only one that worries about that, r...right?
>>
>>335927483
>Build a fucking PC
>research parts and brands
>figure out about CPUs and circuit boards
>Find out what type PCIe and what GPUs are compatible
>Wire grades and Power supply for all extra features
>Cables, cables and more fucking cables all over the goddamn fucking place
You learn shit while making a computer, let alone 3.
>>
>>335930128
I just dumped a bunch of money into my PC. Had had several scares. Bought an i7 processor and that fucking crunching scared the living hell out of me. And to make it worse it wouldn't boot. I was sure I wrecked it. Turned out that I accidently unseated a ram stick while doing cable management.
>>
>>335914646
Like Legos that only go together one way. And cost hunreds of dollars per piece.
>>
File: IMG_20160407_173017.jpg (2 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160407_173017.jpg
2 MB, 4160x3120
Just don't be a fucking retard
>>
>>335914646

It's not like lego, it's even more simple that that.

It's closer to round peg round hole. You can't set it up in a way to break it, at worse you'll fuck up the power supply and it wont get enough power, or youll get too much draw from the PSU and it'll make an ungodly noise (you'll know long before it actually pops, unless youre doing some kind of custom motherboard setup). That's basically the worst that could happen.

If you're going to make a PC make absolutely certain the PSU can support the build and the motherboard can support the PSU. Check the CPU has the same pin setup as the motherboard. Everything else should be easy.

Remember you can't break it easily. At worst your going to fuck your set up where you bought a square peg for the round hole and youll have to buy another one.
>>
>>335932829
lol I had the same problem!

Fucking GPU's are too damn big. Had to buy a whole new box just to physically fit the damn thing in.

You really shouldn't leave the side off like that, it provides shielding.
>>
>>335933654
The joke is that he somehow had the motherboard on top of the PSU and attached to the back of the case
>>
>>335933654
The side is only off because I was cleaning it and testing it worked again.
I only managed to fit that 750Ti in there by turning the HDD bays around, got lucky desu
>>
File: 1394920526564.jpg (580 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
1394920526564.jpg
580 KB, 2560x1920
>>335917264
>>
>>335927807
What is your definition of "obsolete"?
>>
>Building first PC
>Eveything done
>Nervous as fuck
>Turn on
>PC gets stuck in a boot/reboot cycle and can't get past POST
>Turns out the RAM wasn't properly seated in
>It's the simplest component to install
I was nearly shitting myself.
>>
File: 1383503944791.jpg (198 KB, 580x370) Image search: [Google]
1383503944791.jpg
198 KB, 580x370
>>
>>335914646
The instructions for building a computer come with the mobo and cpu. These instructions are in pictures only, there is no text. If you can look at pictures you can build a pc.
>>
the only thing that scares me about building a pc is putting the thermal paste on and the fan

i just know I'll fuck it up
>>
>>335933761
that's where it goes on that case
>>
>>335934783
I built my current pc 4 years ago with a 560 ti. it was immediately crap, so a year later I replaced with a 660 ti. that worked for a couple months till games were back in sub-30 range at 1080p. replaced that six months with a 970, and current gen games are 40 fps at best. everything is immediately heading towards obsolescence in the pc space
>>
>>335915067
>>335914904
>>335915361
>>335915367
>>335915474

its all labelled in the motherboard manual buddy boys, but then you didnt read that.
>>
>>335935194
40 fps at best with a 970? That's odd, I'm pretty sure it performs better than that. Do you have any example of games?
>>
>>335935065
Is that a mummified frog?
>>
>>335935141
only way you can fuck up the paste is by not putting enough. Pea, line, prespreading, none of it makes a meaningful difference.
>>
>>335926917
Still a waste. Unless they're having a huge sale on their entire catalogue, you're best served buying from different sources to get the best prices.
>>
>>335935194
Then stop buying the lower end cards
>>
>>335935194
I hope you're selling your old cards as you replace them. You could easily get $100 back.
>>
>>335935194
Bet you didn't get the 16 gigs of ram that every shit game released today needs because devs are lazy
>>
>>335935728
I personally always hold onto my last card as an emergency replacement in case my current one dies.
>>
>>335935689
>>335935194
>Then stop buying the lower end cards
Absolutely this. If you're buying a PC to play vidya, you want most of your budget to be the video card. The CPU is less important for vidya these days than most people think, you'd be fine getting one that was really good a few years ago, but is cheaper now because of how old it is. A Q6600 processor from almost 10 years ago still met minimum requirements up until very recently. An i5-2500k from 5 years ago can do 4k resolution and VR if you overclock it (which is a thousand times easier and safer today than it was 10 years ago)
8GB of whatever the most common RAM is will do, and as long as your PSU and motherboard (wattage, connectors, and CPU socket) support the other parts, you're fine.
>>
>>335915095
I thought he was gay. Huh.
>>
>>335928716
Literally this. I was helping my friend build his first computer last week and recommended my own PSU which was the corsair cx750m. As soon as he plugged it in the lights flickered and the PC wouldn't start. When we replaced it with the evga g2 we found out it took out his 2TB hard drive and h100 which were both along the same sata power line. Oddly enough the cpu pump was working fine but the fans wouldn't start and corsair link couldn't pick up the cooler.

Seriously fuck corsair for that. If we were unlucky it could have taken out everything in the case. Luckily microcenter took back the cooler and hdd and let us exchange.
>>
File: 1454973975954.jpg (2 MB, 2339x3005) Image search: [Google]
1454973975954.jpg
2 MB, 2339x3005
>>
>>335935141
for the screws on the cpu cooler, make sure to screw it down in an x-formation and only put each screw in loosely until all 4 are connected to the board.

If you dont screw it down correctly, you'll have a situation where only 3 out of 4 screws will even touchdown

dont make my mistake
>>
File: 1348558512742.jpg (64 KB, 500x661) Image search: [Google]
1348558512742.jpg
64 KB, 500x661
>>335938647
>cpu fan blowing into the graphics card
That thing isn't going to last more than a year or two
>>
How does /v/ feel about this build? Never built a computer before but the games I've started playing require more than what my potato can provide, anything you would change?

http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-build-guide-budget-gaming-pc/
>>
>>335915367
Most budget boards don't. That's one of the perks you get for spending good money on a motherboard. This motherboard I have now is the first board I've had with a Q or M connector. Even though I always did it without them, these connectors really do make it a lot easier.
>>
>>335938647
Is that an Asus motherboard?
>>
>>335915603
AMD CPU's have pins on the CPU. Intel CPU's have pins in the CPU socket on the motherboard.
>>
File: 1355019337158.png (418 KB, 852x371) Image search: [Google]
1355019337158.png
418 KB, 852x371
>>335938647
>Fan Xpert
>>
>>335914824
>buying anything dell related ever
>>
>>335928135
Not entirely true. While not the best, my $50 Thermaltake case has a cable management design. Pretty much every modern day case does, unless you go buy some $20 piece of shit.
>>
File: 1461135741566.gif (818 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1461135741566.gif
818 KB, 400x225
>closing the CPU bracket and the motherboard starts to bend
>cooler starts sliding a bit while trying to screw it on top
>>
>>335940005
I don't trust that PSU.
It's always good to have CD/DVD drive as a backup solution. These aren't floppies, they aren't phased out.
BX100 is budget Crucial.
Overpriced motherboard that is for overclocking, you don't need a Z.
r9 380s have the occasional frozen screen problem but are otherwise stable, in fact the r9 200s and r9 300s all have that problem, the r9 200s more so because of the memory type elpida vs hynix.
I don't like the latency on that RAM.
I really don't like that case.
>>
>>335940482
How's the noise compared to say an $89 mid-budget Fractal R4 with no window but heavy sound dampers?
>>
File: 1450125820813.gif (350 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
1450125820813.gif
350 KB, 500x282
>>335916362
>>335917881
>>335918448
>>335934426
>>335935065
>>
>>335940508
It's fiberglass, don't worry too much.
>>
>>335940642
So the gpu and ssd are the only things you like about it?

I don't need fancy, just want smooth gameplay
>>
>>335941280
You have no preference between AMD or Nvidia?
>>
>>335914646
Server at local primary school.
>>
>>335941280
Different anon here with a 380. Im no expert and built my own pc with it. Performs decent. I could 60fps in dark souls 3 on low settings without overclocking. For a piece that old its holding up pretty well.
>>
>>335941527
Not at all, I don't know the pros and cons of either but I'm not an elitiest, just what ever works reliably
>>
>>335941876
General consensus is AMD is cheaper but nvidia has better driver support. So nee games are optimized sooner. The burning down your house meme is irrelevant now
>>
>>335942614
For right now it's the other way around. AMD has better performance with the new DirectX 12 than Nvidia.

But a lot of games are still on DX9 and 11, since 12 requires Windows 10 and it'll be a at least a couple years before it becomes more common
>>
>>335914745
PCs are similar to lego, but I'd say they're more akin to an erection-set... With wires.
>>
>>335942989
nobody knows what an erectorset is anymore
>>
File: 1383504724115.jpg (157 KB, 950x1000) Image search: [Google]
1383504724115.jpg
157 KB, 950x1000
>>
>>335943121
Then I'm glad Google exists for those poor souls.
>>
File: SS_2016-04-29_14.png (76 KB, 1296x1024) Image search: [Google]
SS_2016-04-29_14.png
76 KB, 1296x1024
>>335941876
$700 budget? Here you go.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XGZymG

The mid ATX case is incredibly roomy and easy to work with for first time builders. The downside is there is no CD/DVD drive bay, get the cheap Fractal R4 with no window if you want to stick one in.

BX200 is a newer gen over BX100.

I have 4 Western Digital 1TB HDDs, been reliable so far.

Going Sapphire r9 380 because it's one of the more reliable brands. No good warranty though, so watch that.

MSI is one of the more reliable mobo brands but there are horror stories, no company isn't flawed. Still better than Gigabyte.

Seasonic, and the EVGA G2 PSUs which are superflower rebrands are reliable, if you're going to upgrade your GPU to something like a used 980ti in the future get a 750w or 650w modular PSU instead. Avoid non-modular PSUs, they're annoying to manage.
>>
>>335942989
>erection-set
>erection
lewd technology
>>
File: 1402786728417.jpg (216 KB, 836x955) Image search: [Google]
1402786728417.jpg
216 KB, 836x955
>tfw Total Warhammer is coming out this summer
>but Polaris/Pascal next spring
>>
>>335943874
>next spring
whoah whoah whoah what about all those faggots in these threads who keep saying it's only a couple months away?
>>
>>335943960
>what about all those faggots in these threads who keep saying it's only a couple months away?
they're total faggots who haven't got a clue
>>
>>335943426
now that's nigger rigging
1/4th of the way from turning into Lain
>>
File: 1383503658576.jpg (385 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1383503658576.jpg
385 KB, 1280x960
>>
>>335944319
>FEEEED MEEEEE
>>
>>335914646
You can learn everything you need to know just by going on youtube and typing in "how to build a PC". Watch a series or two and you'll be fine. It's exactly what I did the first time I built a PC.
>>
>>335944319
Shit is like Zerg infected Terran tech in the first Starcraft.
More.
>>
>>335944013
honestly i haven't seen anything to support either. Nothing about this summer and nothing about next spring
>>
>>335943476
Much appreciated anon. You took time out of your day to help me out. I don't know how long it will take for me to put this all together but when it's all said and done I'll throw you a shout out!
>>
>>335944782
>Nothing about this summer
Precisely. If they were going on sale this summer we'd have the shipping manifests already.
>>
File: 1424062657257.gif (2 MB, 301x250) Image search: [Google]
1424062657257.gif
2 MB, 301x250
I just got into computer building after buying a processor for this computer and learning the hard way that retails don't support upgrading.

So I bought a mother board on a fucking whim and the processor fits perfectly and is compatible. Since I can take the ram, drive and other stuff from this computer and the videocard is already in the new motherboard (I think), all I need is a powersupply and I should be able to mod this HP into something good for playing modern games.

At least I hope that's the case. I don't actually know what I'm doing.
>>
File: 1383504171094.jpg (113 KB, 700x526) Image search: [Google]
1383504171094.jpg
113 KB, 700x526
>>
File: 1342825873284.png (93 KB, 295x221) Image search: [Google]
1342825873284.png
93 KB, 295x221
Building a new pc... opinions?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qT9ymG
>>
>>335944983
list these components you're talking about
>>
>>335915941
Even then it isn't a big deal. It won't hurt anything if you mix the leads.
>>
>>335945276
>TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
u serious m8?
>>
>>335945385
I'll use an ethernet wire, just added that for shits and giggles
>>
File: file.png (45 KB, 1161x225) Image search: [Google]
file.png
45 KB, 1161x225
>>335945343
I've never seen this site before so I'm going through it to check to see if all the parts I have and need are compatible.

So far the cpu and motherboard I have are fine according to the site
>>
>>335934426
>smokers
Don't do it, bros.
>>
>>335943960
that's the 750 Pascal revision. 980, 980ti, and titen replacements aren't till next year
>>
>>335945580
Your processor has integrated graphics but that's not going to be enough for modern games, so unless you mean you already had a GPU in the old PC that you swapped to the new mobo, you're going to need to buy one

Those tend to be the most expensive component too if you want an actually good one

I mean if you only play CSGO or TF2 or something your integrated graphics should be fine, but if you intend to actually play more demanding modern games, you need to look into GPUs because whatever your CPU and mobo provide won't be enough
>>
>>335945276
Do you value noise level over looks? Don't get a windowed case if you don't want to have marginally more audible noise.

The SSD V300 from Kingston isn't any good for that price.

Western Blacks are noisy. Get the caviar blue, same rpm.

Do you really want a non-modular PSU?

970s aren't worth the price. They perform really fucking well only when they don't hit past the 3.5 RAM requirements. If you really want Nvidia and are going to upgrade the GPU in the future for Pascal, just stick with a cheap 950.

Kingston RAM is okay.

I don't know anything about that mobo.
>>
File: 1383506156806.jpg (23 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1383506156806.jpg
23 KB, 300x225
>>335945612
NEVER

EVER
>>
>>335945839
Why is a non-modular PSU bad?

970s are cheaper here than 390
>>
>>335945820
sauce
>>
>>335945264
How the hell does a PC case end up looking like a gross ass country garage in the summer?
>>
>>335945276
dude just use logical increments
>>
>>335914883
an ape as in the animal, not your ignorance of a black man.
>>
>>335945967
The SeaSonic ones aren't bad as a PSU, but it's more the cables than anything else for all non-modular PSUs are a pain in the ass to manage. Modular PSUs you can choose what cables to plug in or leave out. Can't do that with non-modular, hence the term.
>>
Yes, I just ordered a CPU, Mobo and RAM to replace my current CPU and Mobo which are from 2008, a Core2Quad Q6600 in a Maximus Formula with 8G or DDR2.

To replace this, I got a Core i5 6600K with a nice Asus Z170 mobo and 8G of DDR3.

But after reading into it, for some reason the Intel Skylake CPUs should only be used with low voltage ram (1.35v or lower for DDR3, 1.2v or lower for DDR4) or you risk damaging the memory controller of the CPU.

So I have to return the RAM I got and order some new one that'll work. Fuck this shit.
>>
>>335945967
Rat's nest. You are never going to need every single power cable from a psu. By getting semi or fully modular psu you can just stick to the cables you need rather than having 2/3rds of the wiring in your pc not connected to anything and just being shoved into an empty corner of the case blocking airflow/getting in the way when it comes time to replace a component
>>
>>335935194
>tfw I bought a 750ti years ago for 110bux and it plays everything I want perfectly fine
It sure feels nice not spending 60 burgers on whatever the newest crazy game is
>>
>>335946170
>>335946468
I'll look into a modular PSU then thanks
>>
>>335914646
Its not hard, its basically like putting together furniture.

I would just go to a computer store and have them build it for you. Its usually cheap, like $50. The cable management is usually done for you as well. If youre in Canada go to NCIX or Canada Computers. Ive been to both and the NCIX staff seemed a bit more professional but its basically the same shit.

Only reason I did it is because I dont want to have to deal with something if anything goes wrong during the build process. Say I drop something, spark something, get a dead on arrival part, push a part too hard, thats all on me and wastes my time and money. I would rather pay $50 to some experienced dude who does this shit for a living to build it for me.
>>
>>335945827
Fuck. No the reason for having to buy a new cpu and motherboard was because the processor and graphics card on this computer are integrated and can't be upgraded.

When I looked up some games like Dark Souls II on Can You Run It, it said that the only thing that I needed to upgrade was processor speed and that the current integrated video card was fine.

The only games I plan to play at the moment are Dark Souls III, TF2, Overwatch when its out and maybe some Guilty Gear Xrd. I just kind of wanted a modern-ish build so I could play the few games I want to play without having to buy a console as well as have a faster processor speed for working on high polly models and rendering.

Thanks anon. No one else told me that I needed to buy a video card. The guy at microcenter told me that the motherboard had a card in it. But I figure that's the integrated graphics you're talking about.
>>
>>335946812
For Dark Souls III you'll definitely need to buy a GPU, but if you're fine with low settings you shouldn't need to get a super expensive one either, I don't know enough about that game to recommend the minimum you can get away with though

GTX 960 is probably a safe bet, might be able to get away with less than that, and 970 will definitely work
>>
File: 1448334320149.gif (797 KB, 583x328) Image search: [Google]
1448334320149.gif
797 KB, 583x328
>>335947238
Thanks bro
>>
What's the best motherboard to pair with an i5 6500?
>>
File: 023.jpg (76 KB, 644x167) Image search: [Google]
023.jpg
76 KB, 644x167
>>335947484

YOU'RE gonna die in YOUR sleep tonight, KID.
>>
File: .jpg (86 KB, 345x1280) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
86 KB, 345x1280
>>335947484
IMMUNITY CAT APPLIES TO ANY AND ALL SHIT LIKE THIS
>>
>>335914646
plug red wire into red hole

plug blue wire into blue hole
>>
>>335947484
GOOD.
Wait shit
>>
>>335947801
All my wires are black, all the holes are yellow or black....
>>
jesus christ. how hard is it for you asshats to cable manage

this is mine. the bottom has 2 wires out so I can use the dvd drive to install shit I need
>>
File: nice day.jpg (242 KB, 897x647) Image search: [Google]
nice day.jpg
242 KB, 897x647
>>335947713
>>
>>335947707
>>335947713
>>335947921
Will you fucks stop giving posts like that attention?
>>
File: motherboards.jpg (815 KB, 1787x709) Image search: [Google]
motherboards.jpg
815 KB, 1787x709
>>
File: 1368785537886.jpg (52 KB, 331x331) Image search: [Google]
1368785537886.jpg
52 KB, 331x331
>>335947620
pls
>>
File: cable management PC 2015.jpg (73 KB, 531x664) Image search: [Google]
cable management PC 2015.jpg
73 KB, 531x664
>>335948015
post the back, no one ever posts the back panel
>>
>>335948398
can't, I have my LED strip converter in the back and it was a pain in the ass to get it in there

I installed automotive LED's and a converter for the lighting in the case
>>
>>335948398
I wish mine had that many points for cable management ties, It's only got 3(not counting the little built in microscopic ones they put in just for singular fan cables) so mine is pretty messy
>>
>>335948563
>leds
Might as well put a fucking fedora on your case
>>
>>335948773
In case you didn't notice, there's already a fedora in that case.
>>
>>335948773
I normally agree but when it came to me doing it and knowing pc led lights have shit lighting I just said fuck it and tried automotive ones. that shit is bright as hell. lights up my room. Like it since my light socket in my room is fucked up
>>
>>335948563
instead of a converted you could have just gotten an internal usb header plug and a usb adapter for the strip. leds shouldn't need more then 12vs per roll
>>
>>335948938
the walmart ones are a little more fucky. tried doing another method but the usb header I was trying to use was dead so I just snagged the converter for 2 bucks with my discount card.
>>
>>335948843
Hehehehehe
>>
I've built a fair few computers now. The heatsink is literally always the hardest part to figure out.

With default intel heatsinks, they have those 4 corner things you need to push down, then twist then push some more then lock in place and make sure it's all perfectly counter balanced and shit and it just makes no fucking sense.

Last one I build had a coolermaster heatsink. First you had to screw a plate on the back of the motherboard. Then you had to perfectly align the heatsink and then snap this metal thing in place, position it correctly on the heatsink and align it with the holes, then you needed to screw it in place in the right order while making sure everything is still held in place. You needed about 8 fucking hands to install it.

Fucking heatsinks.
>>
>>335935374
Back when i built mine, my shit didn't come with a jumper block OR a fucking manual. I had to download a shitty pdf from their website.
>>
>>335949285
Glad I got a Noctua. Installation was as easy as making a baby.
>>
>>335914646
I used www.logicalincrements.com to help me pick out the parts.
>>
File: IMG_20160429_171615588_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160429_171615588_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
Anyone else use the MSI snake off the box of the krait motherboard? Lol
>>
>>335914646
easy af, just have to do it once, just take your time, lay everything out and follow some guides if you need to, and obviously RTFM, and don't overdo the thermal paste

the only things you can even fuck up is assembling in the wrong order maybe, or not being delicate enough, but it's almost entirely idiot-proof nowadays
>>
>>335945276
>3.5gb
>>
>>335947484
whaaaa
>>
File: 1383503525454.jpg (94 KB, 614x434) Image search: [Google]
1383503525454.jpg
94 KB, 614x434
>>
File: Nvidia oven.jpg (241 KB, 1267x1496) Image search: [Google]
Nvidia oven.jpg
241 KB, 1267x1496
>>335950065
that will never get old
>>
>>335914646
Easy, just put the shit where it fits, you literally cannot screw it up.
>>
>>335950489
But anon shit gets screwed anyway, you literally have to screw shit in.
>>
>>335944319
>gravemind controls your AI
>>
File: 1394920326822.jpg (35 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1394920326822.jpg
35 KB, 480x360
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.