[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me why I should play Persona 4. Is it actually good as people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 640x512
Tell me why I should play Persona 4. Is it actually good as people praise it to be?
>>
>>335906676
>Tell me why I should play Persona 4
Make me.
>>
>>335906676

There's nothing really like it. Play Persona 3 FES first, and close this thread if you don't want to be spoiled. They're good games and I enjoyed them quite a bit.
>>
>>335906676
No
It's still a classic as well as p3 fes, play it
>>
>>335906676
they are quite unique
>>
What's your experience with RPGs, anon?

The game takes the dungeon and demon fusion elements from other SMT games and simplifies them for people not experienced with SMT. It's lots of fun to experiment with fusing demons, and there's not much punishment for fucking up, so it's a great way to expose yourself to the SMT game mechanics.

The story and characters are great as well, and the thing that Persona has over SMT is the social link aspect. Basically, the game is split into two sections: dungeons, where you do all the battling and stuff; and social life, where you have to manage time and get to know other students and your friends to unlock better fusion options. If you can't stand anime tropes, you probably won't like the social aspect, but for most people this is what hooks them to the series. You quickly start to like the characters and have to choose between raising your skills by studying, doing jobs and activities, and progressing the side stories with the characters.

Don't expect to be challenged by the game, though, since it's fairly easy, probably because people complained about grinding in P3.

>>335907072
This guy is correct, P3 has more focus on the dungeon part of the game than P4 does.

However, I'd say if you don't have much experience with JRPGs at all, you should play P4 because it's easier and has more of the social element that's the main draw.

If you HAVE played some JRPGs start with P3.
>>
>>335906676
Like others have said, P3: FES firs, then P4(preferably Golden), unless you have no real experience with JRPGs, then start with P4, or you might be put off by P3 and it's bigger focus on dungeons. I tried P3 first and didn't like it at all, then I played P4: Golden and loved it, and when I then went back to P3 I appreciated it alot more.
>>
>>335906676
>Tell me why I should play Persona 4
Nice music, likeable characters, cool visual style and presentation, simple but fun gameplay.
>>
it's fucking horrible as a game and only popular because pathetic weeb fucks can self insert and pretend they have friends
>>
File: 1423438574822.png (3 MB, 1600x4054) Image search: [Google]
1423438574822.png
3 MB, 1600x4054
>>335906676
>>
>>335906676
It's a waifu simulator where you have a group of friends who all fawn over you for no reason, with some bland turn based gameplay and dragged out dungeons.

The only decent part is the music.
>>
>>335907426
Thanks anon! Im not too familiar with JRPGs I usually play RPGs but I will definitely give this a try. How's the fusion work exactly?
>>
The game gives you the choice of when to do story-based things and when dungeon crawl. You plan what you do and when you do it. If you aren't in the mood to crawl the randomised dungeons, you can spend a lot of time just talking to characters, improving your relationships with them (this gives tangible benefits). If you don't want to do that, you can improve your character's attributes by doing jobs, studying, exercising, doing whatever you find to do in the town.

Most JRPGs follow a pretty simple dungeon, town, dungeon, town format. When it's time to do a dungeon, you usually don't have much choice but to go ahead and do it. When it's time to progress the story, you also have to sit through it even if you want to spend more time in battle.

Neither Persona 3 or 4 are like this and it makes playing them a lot more enjoyable. If you want to go to the dungeon, that's what you're doing that day; if you want to do something else, do that instead. It's good.
>>
>>335911035
/thread
>>
>>335910590
Demons work kind of like Pokemon in SMT, you meet them in battle and convince them to join your side, and then you can level them up and teach them new attacks.

In Persona though, you get more demons by random drops after battles and in chests instead, they're represented as cards.

Fusion just allows you to use demons that you have cards of to create new more powerful demons. The game explains it to you, but basically two demons = third better demon, the higher the levels of the source demons, the more powerful the third, and the new demon inherits spells and skills from the source demons.

There are literally hundreds of combinations so it's a lot of fun to mix and match.

For context, in the Persona series, each character has a unique demon that represents them (hence the name "persona"), and that demon determines what skills and spells they have access to. But the main player character's special ability is that he can use ANY demon as his persona, so finding and fusing demons is how you grow your skills. He can also change personas mid-battle, so you can swap out your "builds" at any time, which is useful because also like Pokemon enemies have weaknesses and resistances to different spells and elements.
>>
>>335910590
Just play the game. It explaims the majority of the mechanics in itself.
>>
>>335909497
You are the worst type of person.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.