[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>game is 30fps locked >it's silky smooth how is that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: wallrun.jpg (706 KB, 5760x3240) Image search: [Google]
wallrun.jpg
706 KB, 5760x3240
>game is 30fps locked
>it's silky smooth

how is that possible? why some games run like sluggish shit (gears of war, killzone, gta 4-5), while others run really smooth, responsive, almost as good as 60fps (sunset overdrive, infamous, halo 4 on 360)
>>
>>335905063
Frametime
>>
Frametime is more important than whether the game is in 30 or 60 fps DESU
>>
>>335905103
is 1/fps.
>>
wtf is frametime?
>>
>>335905103
>>335905208
seems like weird science
>>
>>335905228
No.
You can get fluctuating frametime with consistent fps.
>>
Who is that semen demon?
>>
>>335905345
a buzzword that some cucks around here use to pretend they know shit
>>
>>335905063
Motion blur usually helps a lot, as does solid frame pacing. Also, some 30fps games can be almost as responsive as 60fps if they get the controls working with minimum lag.
>>
>>335905423
At that point it wouldn't be a consistent fps anymore.
>>
>frametime
>30 fps ever being smooth
i want the underage console peasant third worlders to leave
>>
>>335905063
>hurr durr lets just focus on fps but completely ignore frametransiency
fucking retarded
>>
>>335905585
>frametransiency
I don't think that's a word, anon
>>
I've googled it and I think it says that framerates are flawed, because 59 frames can be rendered in 0,1 of a second and the last frame will take 0,9 seconds to render thus creating stutter. I guess that badly optimized games avoid this by vsyncing themselves, creating deliberate delay, so all frames are ready and delivered smoothly. You get input lag, but avoid microstutters. If frametime is quick, then those frames are delivered without delay. Did I get it right?
>>
>>335905734
>i started getting into computers today
>>
>>335905763
I think basically.
You usually see Frame per SECOND however the time it took to render these various frames in that second can differ and thus create microstutter which is what you usually see.

Other anons are right as well though. Frame time and FPS are inverse to each other. If you have consistent (and by that i mean really consistent to the nanosecond) FPS then you will always have the same frametime as well.
>>
>>335905481
Except not because by the very nature your game loop is cycling faster in 60 over 30
>>
>>335905437
SO protag. I never found these clothes though.
>>
>>335905481
>Also, some 30fps games can be almost as responsive as 60fps
No, they objectively can't.
Especially for fightan.
>>
>>335905979
Wrong.

The gameloop usually ticks as fast as possible. FPS is mostly just visual and only considers the actual rendering if done correctly.
>>
>>335905063
why does she have to be a clown
>>
>>335906097
It doesn't matter how fast the engine can process shit, if you can't see it happening it's not going to be responsive because you'll be lacking the response.
>>
>>335906060
He is correct, the game responsiveness to your input can and should be the same no matter how many fps you get.

You wont see the visual feedback as responsive as with 60 fps but the actual logic can run the same independent of the FPS you get.
>>
>>335905763
It's basically consistent fps versus inconsisten fps. Not all framerates are consistent, but that doesn't matter really since you're not saying how big you're averaging your fps over.
>>
>>335905103
>>335905208
>>335905423
>using buzzwords seriously
embarrassing! bet you'll never show your face on an anonymous memeboard again!
>>
>>335906060
Technically, nothing prevents 30fps to be just as responsive as 60fps game. Difference between 1/60 or a second and 1/30 should be negligible, maybe only noticeable when aiming with mouse. It's input lag that kills it. GTA and RDR have like nearly 1 full second of input lag.
>>
>>335906276
Exactly, the latency for the image to reach your screen is the same, you're just seeing half as many frames in between.
>>
>>335906268
The real buzzword is FPS since it normalizes over a second. Thats why the industry loves to use it. They can tell shit all they want it wont help if their 60 frames in a second all take a different time to render.
>>
>>335906496
That's not true. That depends on when you press the button. For example, assuming there are no other lags, if you you press a button right after a frame has been displayed, it will be more responsive with 60fps than with 30fps because it will take half the amount of time to display the next frame which has the response you're expecting in it.
>>
>>335905805
Can you look up the definition for frametransiency, my friend?
>>
How much lag is in the pipeline anyways, what's an efficient way of measuring it?
>>
>>335906276
It only takes 20ms for humans to react. Very small window of negligence
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.