[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>get in a massive pointless multi-hour battle over 3 bases
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 461[1].jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
461[1].jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>get in a massive pointless multi-hour battle over 3 bases in infantry and armor convoys while the third faction captures the map unopposed.

this game is pretty fun /v/
>>
Has the strategy changed at all?

Last time I played every capture worked like this.

>95% of each team zergs up
>If defending, just respawn and run at enemy
>If attacking, place down sundy spawn and run at objective
>Flanking is pretty much impossible because of the map+population
>Everyone kills themselves to counter flanking
>>
>enemies shoot from the barriers
>look at the map and see the amount of action going on thinking it'll be cuhrazy
>it's shit

I like planetside 2 until I load into the game and find out that there is this pussy shit going on
>>
Why aren't there more MMOFPS
>>
>>335881590
as a new player seems like nothing has changed from what I've experienced. Although the new ANT mining is changing things up, people are building and fighting over their own bases now and trying to mine for VP and launching air raids to destroy other mines.

>be a medic at a chokepoint to a base
>park around the corner and rack up certs reviving the grunts in the grinder
>>
>>335881791

Because every single one hasn't done a good job at it. So publishers are afraid to take risks. No one taking risks = no new games = they continue to fail/be meh.

>Ps2
A zerg fest. Despite sporting huge maps, everyone still groups up into massive forces and just roams around. There's no sense of flanking.

Objective capturing lacks any sort of big/meaningful strategy and turns into a lemming spawn war.

To top it off, it's a payORgrind game. To unlock weapons and modifications that can easily turn the tide of battle requires a fair amount of grinding

F2P which means there is a higher percentage of hackers. Hacking is hard to solve since there is a constant stream of new hacks coming out each day. F2P makes it a lot easier for banned players to regain hacks and access to the game.

>Heroes and Generals

The biggest flaw is that it is payORgrind.

The war map, while I admire what they were trying to do, produces frustrating in balanced battles more then not. The "good" games are quickly filled up and if you want to have any fun in the war map you need to join one of the big clans that actually plan this stuff out. This causes a lot of the players to just join the regular, none war map games where everyone is balanced. This is a pro and a con depending on how you look at it

It's a huge game in Europe, so if your'e not from Europe you will probably have bad ping

F2P hacking issue

>APB

Had a ton of potential. Didn't have the proper player controls to reduce griefing and hacking at the start. That is the main reason the game died. Plus shit optimization.

Re-releases as a F2P game where they do nothing but release cash shop stuff.

P2W cash shop, but they do offer the same weapons in game for a limited time with joker tickets. Which can be a bit grindy, but isn't all that bad.

Hacking is still a pretty big issue in the game.

It is also a heavily underused game in terms of features. Open world/vehicles pointless.
>>
>>335882490
>To unlock weapons and modifications that can easily turn the tide of battle

>I havent played this game
>>
>>335881383
>get sandwiched on both sides on every continent while there is little activity on the enemy's shared front
Such is life for emerald TR
>>
>>335883085
>emerald TR

I think you meant NC.
>>
>>335882947

My rule is that if a game makes you grind for new types of weapons/gears instead of different stats; then that is payORgrind and teeters on p2w. So for each type of weapon, there would be one version in that class that is easily acquirable, then different stats/weapons in that type.

Vehicles are the worse offenders. To use new types of heavy weapons/missiles/main guns/etc, you have to grind a lot.
>>
Ross Scott will lead some of his fans in a few days. Do you think a zerg Rush of low Level characters can change the battlefield?
>>
>>335883468
Literally who?

Whoever the zerg gets to fight will get tons of free farm, hope it's my faction
>>
Games like these just show that more players ≠ better.
>>
>>335883468
he's worried about the new queue limits though. Emerald is going to fill up quickly and dump a lot of people in VR training and koltyr
>>
>Take a break from it for like 9 months
>Come back
>Its so dead it can't be played properly anymore
>Wonder if when I played it first, it was literally super dead
>>
>>335882947
One shot bolt action rifles in the hands of a decent FPS player can completely turn the tide of the battle.

Game has some serious balance issues that greatly favor the pay-to-play players because they can equip two perks at once (or whatever the fuck they call them).
>>
>>335883568

Ross Scott, the one who did freemans mind and civil protection series.. And do some reviews now and them.

He Actually pretty unknown considering he is one of the oldest vidya "youtubers" on the job.

>Imb4 e-celeb
>>
>>335882947
A gun for the quad bike costs like 1000 certs. Zerging with those would be a very viable strategy.
>>
I hopped back in today and there was some absurd wait time to get into a zone that actually had combat.
>>
I'm BR62, haven't played in like 8 months
Do I reinstall
>>
The game has always filled a very unique niche. It's not for everybody despite the attempts from the developers to make it appeal to the masses.

It's always been a game about large battles. In multiplayer games, the more players there are, the more things are out of your control. Death comes from basically every angle at once. Those who like a tight and competitive experience at the core of their shooter generally hate this. Those who like complete chaos and don't care as much about stats enjoy this more.

Despite the chaos, the skill gap in the game is quite high. This is a combination of a higher TTK and larger focus on headshots than any game outside of CS, and simply that grinding certs will gain you enough of an armor/shield recharge bonus that you will have an advantage. Not to mention a fully certed character simply carries more equipment that helps them win. There is clear vertical progression in the game and it really does hurt low BR characters.

So the game sits at this weird combination of utter chaos and competitive gameplay. In a small fight, higher level and more experienced players dominate pretty much everybody. A good FPS player can remain competitive, but the lack of utility slots, armor upgrades, and whatnot will put them at a native disadvantage. In large fights the cheesy tactics are much more greatly rewarded as the game's performance at a server level basically goes to hell.

Odds are you won't like this game. Those who can suffer the early game woes, understand the vertical progression, and take the time to understand the meta will love this game and never find a real replacement. However most people never get to that point and I can't blame them.
>>
>>335884214
Continued:

So the game isn't for everybody and you need to know that going in. If you want to make the experience better for yourself it's smart to get with a group of players who play regularly as soon as possible. Outfits make this game into something great, but are a pain in the ass to find a good one. You basically have to luck into a group of players who have a similar mindset as you. That's a shitty requirement to enjoy any game and I am not trying to make an excuse for the game.

Once you find a group of like minded players (be it competitive, team oriented, or a group that just loves to fuck around), the entire game changes. All of a sudden the meta doesn't seem so out of your control. A group of 12 players can have a considerable impact on the flow of combat and it can be very rewarding or extremely frustrating depending on the night. The game certainly is abusive.

All of that considered the new content is quite interesting. I have not played enough of it to form a full opinion, but two days into it I can safely say the game has completely changed from what it used to be.

I'm a pretty infantry focused player and now the meta has completely changed to vehicles. Infantry combat is still very important to take bases, but the VP generators pull a lot of players from the bases and spread the population out. It's very hard to describe to non players.
>>
>>335884494
BR 16 here, what would you say is the best place to put my early certs? Shield recharge and medkits? I've been jumping around from heavy assault to the other classes getting a feel and depending on what the current battle needs
>>
>>335884494
Continued version 2:

So far the construction stuff is ridiculous. It completely changes how my outfit has approached every single fight. They introduced more tactics, teamwork, and down time to the whole game. Now the game isn't just about constantly redeploying to find a fight or swamping an enemy with your overwhelming numbers.

It's hard to explain these changes to a non Planetside 2 player. If you have played the game in the past you should check it out. I can't guarantee you will like what you find, but the game plays different enough now to warrant another chance.

The game is now deeper than it's ever been, slower paced than it's ever been, and much more player driven than it's ever been. A small group of players can utilize the construction system to have a profound effect on the dynamics of the map. This is both good and bad.

If you're a fan of combined arms play and don't mind a large amount of cheese and randomness, then check it out. If you're all about 1v1 engagements and being able to outskill your opponent, then just skip it. They've slowed the game down and removed even more personal skill from the FPS gameplay than ever before. They've also increased the amount of teamwork required to be successful.

Basically the game has shifted away from the individual and onto the team more than ever before.

Fans of Planetside 1 will fucking love this. People who like competitive shooters will hate it.

That's all I got to say right now.
>>
>>335884781
With this latest update you'll gain a lot more experience as an engineer. Throwing certs into your repair tool and keep a base up during a fight is going to net you a lot of certs.

I used to say it's up to you, but if you're not looking at finding some group to play with (and if you were I would say to play off of their dynamic), then engineer is your best bet currently.

For the engineer class I pick nanoweave armor because you'll find yourself stationary a lot. Best to be able to absorb a bit more hits than recharge the shields.

Your main focus should be on equipment. Level up your repair tool, unlock tank mines and c4, upgrade your turret, upgrade your ammo dispenser. The basic carbine is fine for killing infantry. You will better gain certs and help your team simply by having more tools than you will killing enemies.
>>
File: PS2 Allahu Akbar.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
PS2 Allahu Akbar.webm
2 MB, 854x480
I love this game
>>
>>335885379
fucking consoles
>>
File: 2015-01-17_00001.jpg (219 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-01-17_00001.jpg
219 KB, 1360x768
>>335885508
I wish my PC could run it better than pic related. Still spent 160 hours on it, but at one point it just became unplayable.
But console version is fun since it's full of shitters. You can basically use a liberator and steamroll evry fucking thing with it without fearing much
>>
>>335885954
980ti and 4690k here and it will still hit the shitfan and drop to 20 fps sometimes when big battles hit.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.