[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
64: >Corneria >Meteo >Sector Y >Katina >Fortuna
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 1461269336055.png (599 KB, 852x477) Image search: [Google]
1461269336055.png
599 KB, 852x477
64:
>Corneria
>Meteo
>Sector Y
>Katina
>Fortuna
>Solar
>Aquas
>Zoness
>Sector X
>Macbeth
>Titania
>Sector Z
>Bolse
>Area 6
>Venom 1
>Venom 2

>Each level has a boss. Corneria, Bolse, and Venom even have two bosses
>Alternate routes can be done on your first run and take some skill (Save falco and fly under the arches in Corneria, score over 100 in Sector Y, fly through the warp gates in Meteo or Sector X, etc)
>failing certain missions can will send you to easier routes
>earning all medals gives you rewards for multiplayer and expert mode
>$50
>came with rumble pack which could be used in many other games

Zero:
>Corneria
>Sector Alpha
>Area 3
>Zoness
>Sector Beta
>Titania
>Fortuna
>Sector Gamma
>Fichina
>Sector Omega
>Corneria 2
>Venom
>The rest of Zero's levels are just remixes of previous ones (Zoness, but with Arwing isntead of Gyrocopter) or short time trials (Beat Star Wolf/blow up targets in under 5 minutes)

>linear paths
>you can NOT do alt routes on your first go-through since you need to unlock upgrades for your vehicles. (Cant get to Aquarosa and either of the sattelite missions for Area 3 or Zoness until you get the chicken walker and the ability to hack as the chicken walker in later levels, can't unlock Peppy's level on Titania until you get the boosters for the Landmaster on Fichina)
>other alt paths require simple actions like locking onto Wolf or Pigma are a certain point in Sector Alpha and Fortuna
>not all levels have bosses
>failing on any mission will cause a game over
>multiplayer is not player versus player and is gimped co-op instead
>no expert mode for earning all medals
>$60
>comes with shitty tower defense game

I like Zero, but I can't help but be let down by all the missed potential. 64 was making waves for its time. In comparison, Zero can't even make a splash.
>>
I love how star fox shills quickly dismiss any critism by saying "git gud"

Nintendo deserves all this backlash and this game proves Miyamoto should stick to Pikmin
>>
>>335872325
You aren't wrong but you are shitposting.
Not being able to do alt paths on the first play through isn't a mortal sin.
You can't hold the tower defense game and the $60 against it, pick one or the other. You can get Star Fox Zero for $50 without the mini game.
>>
>>335872325
All good points except one thing

>comes with shitty tower defense game

Fuck you this shit is fun.
>>
>>335873679
It's not a mortal sin, but its backwards game design from something they had already done 20 years ago
>>
>>335873975
Can you believe snakes used to have 4 limbs? Now they have none! Fucking evolution removing features, when are those Godless scientists going to learn?
>>
>>335874363
Shut up, its not evolution if its largely the same game as 64, but slightly worse.
>>
>>335872325
>you can NOT do alt routes on your first go-through
Wow, so you absolutely, spontaneously knew there was an alternate path on SF64 on your first run? Even if you did, that would've made Meteo "inaccessible", since, you know, it is your first playthrough.
Dumbass. Nothing wrong with the game forcing you to do an intended route first, so you can later do whatever you want.
>not all levels have bosses
Neither did 64. I admit I haven't played Zero, but the Mothership on... Katina, was it? was just Fortuna/Fichina without the Star Wolf fight. Hitting stupid hatches doesn't count as a boss fight.
And IIRC, if you took down Star Wolf on Fortuna/Fichina, Bolse also lacked a boss fight.

Rest of your rant is acceptable, I guess.
>>
>>335875118
Its not that you knew, it was just something you did and got rewarded and then maybe forgot to do or missed and didnt get rewarded and then it clicked. Sometimes even I forget to fly under all the arches. Mothership, Coppherhead Missiles, and Bolse Core count as bosses, though weak bosses.
>>
>>335875118
>Wow, so you absolutely, spontaneously knew there was an alternate path on SF64 on your first run?
The fucking manual literally tells you that Falco will get you to alternate paths.
>>
>>335875551
Still not a valid point to bitch about it because it isn't in your first playthrough.
I am mad about the linear paths, though.
>>
>>335872325
>cant do Titania without fichina
But I did...?
>>
>>335872325
$50 in the late 90s was more expensive than $60 today.

Considerably more actually.

Not that it matters, because you almost certainly didn't pay anything at all for SF64 and had it given to you for free by your parents, so either way your argument is fruitless.
>>
>>335875797
Is that why I can't enjoy anything anymore, anon? Because everything I have to buy with my own money? Or am I just a shell of a human being?
>>
>>335875797
I bought it myself, actually. But nice projecting. Figures someone who grew up with Nintendo would try their hardest to defend them today
>>
>>335875938
yes. you're introducing price into your mental metric for "how much did I like game" and it fucks you up because you didn't have that when you were a kid.

pro-tip - get a job, stop giving a fuck about spending 60 bucks on a game. If that's a serious financial commitment for you, then get out of the hobby.
>>
I'm fine with not being able to get through the ideal route first first. It led to my favorite moment in the game with Peppy getting shot down and Wolf saying he's bored.
>>
>>335875938
>Is that why I can't enjoy anything anymore, anon? Because everything I have to buy with my own money?
It's possible. There's no magic in games for you because you can just buy whatever. Back as a kid, a game was a gift and you would put hours into it no matter what it was. This is why gens 4-6 are so highly regarded on this board. It's all nostalgia. That's not to say they weren't better than what we have now, but the difference in quality is not as major as you might think.

>Or am I just a shell of a human being?
Unlikely.
The 20s are still youth. You have no reason to be upset. You can still enjoy games if you restrict your purchases.

>but I don't want to restrict my purchases
Then I recommend playing games with a slight buzz on. Nothing too intense, but a decent buzz will bring back the magic. You'll greatly appreciate the most specific things in any game, like music or atmosphere.
>>
>>335876138
And what's wrong with your parents buying their kid a videogame designed for kids? And how the fuck does that have to do with defending anything?
SF64 has differences to Zero, as much as Doom has differences to Doom 4. Both examples give a different experience.
>>
>>335876138
Not him but your autism is amusing kek
>>
>>335876306
Thats actually the only part where the game doesnt lock you out of a choice on your first hence, whence why its better than all other alternative paths regardless of what happens.
>>
>>335876138
>"nice projecting"
>proceeds to project
My first console was a genesis.
I've never owned star fox 64 and am not "defending it", I'm just pointing out the flaw in OP's price logic.
>>
File: starfox map.jpg (215 KB, 2370x882) Image search: [Google]
starfox map.jpg
215 KB, 2370x882
>>335872325
All you had to say was
64: 16 levels
Zero: 12 levels and some re-treads

when I was a kid, I thought the next-gen starfox game would have a map like this. What the fuck happened.
>>
>>335876568
You over estimated the Lylat system
>>
File: 56455132_p21.png (1 MB, 800x991) Image search: [Google]
56455132_p21.png
1 MB, 800x991
>>335872325
Yeah, Zero could use more stages and an expert mode. That's mostly what's keeping it back.
Here's hoping for free or reasonably priced dlc.
>>
>>335876380
How the fuck does the counter-point presented about price point suddenly invalidate everything else in the OP?
>>335876394
Yeah, forgive me for comparing a game made almost 20 years ago to the newest iteration that still can't hold a candle to it despite trying to hard to emulate it.
>>335876568
There's way more to it that just the number. Zero has 4 sectors, for example, 64 onyl had 3. 64 had a sun, zero doesnt.
>>
>>335876640
why does the game have to take place in the same solar system each time? I think it was Nintendo I over-estimated.
>>
>>335872325
>Alternate paths shorten the playthrough
This is really annoying.
>>
>>335876940
Because the Lylat system is the only system Andross is attacking.
>>
>star fox 64
>$50

lol sf64 was probably like 80 dollars when it came out
>>
>>335872325
>$50

When you adjust for inflation SF64/Lylat Wars would be much more expensive

Still, I suppose it can be found in a ton of pawn shops these days for cheap
>>
File: 1459173145892.png (142 KB, 225x259) Image search: [Google]
1459173145892.png
142 KB, 225x259
Does anyone know a trick to getting the hitpar medal on area 3's satiellite mission? Last medal I need and It's killing me
>>
File: 1455860035098.jpg (20 KB, 480x451) Image search: [Google]
1455860035098.jpg
20 KB, 480x451
>>335873130
When it comes to the 'motion controls' that you only really need to use in a handful of occasions per run, and aren't even that fucking sophisticated to get used to, yeah, you need to git gud, scrub.

The rest of the complaints levied against SF0 aren't wrong, tho.
>>
>>335877724
The Arwing segment? That one took me a while.

Use copious amounts of brake and check behind buildings. You have way more leeway left and right than it initially seems, and lots of enemies chill back there smokin' cigarettes and playing poker.
>>
>>335878432
I'm just finding that while i'm killing those ones, 10 more fly by on the other side of the building. Keep consistently getting 185
>>
>>335878776
You have to kinda wait until there's a lull in the waves coming at you to go check, and you don't have much time.
>>
>>335878893
Whew, just got it. Thanks for the tips anon
>>
>>335872325
zero can be purchased for $50 on the nintendo eshop

valid points though, picked up zero and look forward to trying it out over the weekend
>>
>>335876568

>No hidden fucked up alternate dimension level

For shame
>>
A huge problem I have with the game is how much of a chore it is to play. It's being held back by design decisions you just know Miyamoto forced upon the team. I shouldn't be losing precious seconds trying to beat Salvadora because the u-turn function is mapped to the same stick as the barrel roll.

Another thing is that the medals aren't as fun to get as they were in 64 or even Assault. Beyond the hit count ones, they don't feel rewarding, just cumbersome to get. The worst part is that you don't unlock anything worthwhile. Just two Arwings that don't live up to the effort. The black Arwing doesn't turn the game into a one hit shmup and the retro Arwing doesn't change the dialogue into the SNES' dabadabdaba stuff. Perhaps the biggest sin is that you don't unlock James' sunglasses for Fox for getting all the medals.
>>
>>335874532
I didn't call it evolution, it's a metaphor faggot.
I didn't realize you had the reading comprehension of a 6 year old.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.