[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People say that Nintendo can never get third party support again,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: nintendo_nx.jpg (35 KB, 1424x800) Image search: [Google]
nintendo_nx.jpg
35 KB, 1424x800
People say that Nintendo can never get third party support again, no matter what they do. It's actually quite simple: using fucking x86 technology, like everyone else.

The NX can be two times as more powerful as the PS4K, but it means jack shit if devs can't easily make and port games over to it.

The N64 was technically more powerful than the PS1. Yamauchi made it use cartridges, while the PS1 used easy to use CDs. The N64 carts were also unnecessarily hard to develop for, for "quality control"

The GC was technically more powerful than the PS1 and Xbox. But guess what? PS1 and Xbox used similar architecture and DVDs, allowing for easier porting. GC used mini-disks.

New consoles are using x86. Devs want accessibility. NX can have another touchcreen controller again for fucks sake, but as long as it has x86, it means nothing.
>>
Yeah, but if the controls are another shitty gimmick no is going to develop for it outside of launch unless it's something incredibly casual like the Wii.
>>
>caring about third party games on a Nintendo console
>tfw the only games I own on Wii U are Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1&2 and Dong Freeze

you retarded, m8? why don't you get them on your PC/PS4/X1?
>>
>>335838075
I'd rather they not bother with third parties, double down on first party output, and make sure there's always games coming out.

If they plan for no third parties, and they come, it's a bonus. If they don't, then they've planned for it. Getting screwed over 4 gens in a row now and refusing to assume it will happen is fucking retarded business practice
>>
>The GC was technically more powerful than the Xbox

No it wasn't. All it had it beat by was load times. It had a graphical advantage over the PS2 though but a lot of ports didn't take advantage of that.
>>
>>335838075
The GameCube got third party support.
>>
>>335838552
It was in quite a few aspects
>>
>easy to use CDs
>N64 carts were ... hard to develop for
No. The carts just couldn't store rendered cut scenes and they were far, far, far more expensive than compact discs. Sony also charged less for platform royalty fees.
>GC used mini-discs
Yes. They also charged nearly twice what Sony and Microsoft were charging for platform royalty fees for like the first year or two into Cube's life cycle.

Now that's basically what set the exodus of third party from Nintendo into motion, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the lack of third party today. That comes down to software tools and demographics.

Just switching to x86 won't be a cure-all.
>>
>>335838545
>double down on first party output, and make sure there's always games coming out.
I don't really know how many hardware cycles the pattern needs to repeat itself before you figure it out.
>>
>>335838247
>why don't you get them on your PC/PS4/X1
Remember comments like this when Nintendo has another console bomb.
>>
>>335838545
They simply cannot maintain a presence in the hardware market without third party support. Unless they can go out and buy a dozen or so Retro-tier studios to ensure a constant supply of software, it's third-party support or third-party production.
>>
I buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games.

I honestly don't care about 3rd party support. I'm not missing anything by not playing the yearly releases of Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and Madden.
>>
>>335841265
You're basically why Nintendo's market share is collapsing.

Until you fundamentally understand that the total and complete absence of notable third party support undermines what should be a key selling point -- Nintendo games -- Nintendo is just going to keep bleeding users off to other systems. And make no mistake, that's where they are going.
>>
>>335838075
The problem is x86. The reason why snes was able to get over the fact it was still using 65c over 6800 was the fact the cartridges did the work and were customizable.
>>
>>335841758
>Nintendo is doomed!

Yeah, we heard you the first million times NeoGAF.

People buy consoles to play exclusives. Deal with it. We can't all have shit taste, guzzling down the latest Call of Duty garbage.
>>
>>335841265
The glaring problem is you have one shot a Gen. If those first party games blow like they did with the wiiu or if they decide not to make games like metroid or vaporware like zeldau you're fucked
>>
>>335842371
>People buy consoles to play exclusives
But the numbers don't bear that out at all.
>>
>>335838247
>>335839862
That's what Nintendo itself thinks -- that any adult who wants "hardcore games" will just go to the PS4 or XBOne and are thus not really worth the effort of counting. ("Master Race" PC gaming doesn't even enter into the equation in their thought processes.) It only dimly enters into their mind that they're actually supposed to be competing with these other newfangled platforms.

It's a retarded way to think, but hey.
>>
File: 1400113575614.jpg (26 KB, 150x188) Image search: [Google]
1400113575614.jpg
26 KB, 150x188
>>335842371
>People buy consoles to play exclusives.

OK, you've been on this board a little too long. It's time to get out and get some fresh air, or you're going to actually believe the nonsense you just spouted.
>>
>>335838075
You're right, but I've already read devs say the new hardware is thee easiest dev kit they've ever worked on...of any console dev kit. I don't think it will be a problem
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.