[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>60 fps >without dropping >every game stutters when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: 1449293190983.jpg (36 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1449293190983.jpg
36 KB, 500x375
>60 fps
>without dropping
>every game stutters when I turn the camera around. It's not like it lags, but the camera, like, jumps instead of smoothly panning.

I wanted to try to ask this here because /g/ isn't helpful.

How is that even possible? I have GTX 960 btw, but nothing is overheating and it should work. My HDD is not the fastest but that shouldn't be the problem if the game preloads areas anyway.

Can it be because of my 10 year old monitor? But the problem with that is that it isn't exactly the same in the every game.

E.g. witcher 3 is a mess when I pan the camera. When I ride the horse is strangely jumps behind me too. And I know that actually is the problem with the game, but for me fixes didn't help at all.
>>
>>335825603
Witcher 3 has a frame pacing problem unless you're running at 30fps, don't use it to measure anything about your PC

Running through the city at 50fps on a 970 is nothing but stutters, but if you cap it at 30 it all vanishes.
>>
>>335825867
Why not just...lower the settings?
>>
File: face.png (1 MB, 1920x803) Image search: [Google]
face.png
1 MB, 1920x803
1)use something like gpu-z or msi afterburner overlay to see your gpu memory usage. If it's close to or maximum it's gonna stutter for sure. Also check the temps and if it isn't throttling back and forth

2)use fraps benchmark and record frametimes. If you're not retarded with excel you can make a graph of how many ms each frame took to render. At locked 60 fps it should be 16.66ms. If you're seeing large spikes, check if they're constant or just at the times you're turning around. Where you go from there is more in-depth and you have to read up what to do further
>>
I still had stutterings (without any drop) with GTA V, Metro: LL, AC IV, Far Cry 4, and Skyrim (but magically it worked perfectly last time I tried it. I even have stutterings (though there actually is a small FPS drop) with SMG2 on Dolphin emulator too.

But the thing that bothers me the most is when the camera skips, but the FPS is prefect. Just how? I always have a lot more than 60 frames without cap. It doesn't matter what settings O have >>335826272

Btw when you mentioned 30 fps lock. For some reason locking at 30 makes every game completely unplayable. Could be my monitor, idk, it's terrible.
>>
>>335825603
Check your harddrive. maybe it's running in ATA mode or some shit?
>>
>>335827116
Will try the second option. In afterburner there is no problem with anything, the temps are fine. My 960 is a 4gb model. But idk what happens when I actually pass the first 2 GBs (128 bit bus and all that). I always had a little above 2GB in GTA V, but lowering it also didn't change anything. Don't know what's the situation with witcher though.

That's why I'm askin here, I tried everything and still don't know what shoulx be the problem.

Can it be the monitor?
>>
>>335827738
Well I have the shitty rebranded wd green (wd blue 5400 RPM EZRZ) because I got memed, but I though that HDD should not be a problem. I'll check that out. I can try installing something on SSD, but I don't have much space for games there anyway.
>>
>>335827927
Unless your monitor is a fucking CRT or a shit flat. Its usually not the problem. (Refresh Rate 60Hertz)
Check your drivers breh. Do a clean install of them.
If that doesn't fix it, its something software wise with what ever OS your using.
>>
File: disk.png (37 KB, 572x507) Image search: [Google]
disk.png
37 KB, 572x507
I've had stutters on failing OS hdd's, before I moved to ssd for OS

you can use HD Tune Pro to check the disk for errors and check the read speeds, should look something like picrelated. If your results have huge spikes, or the yellow random access dots are out of whack, that might indicate a problem
>>
>>335827927
In MSI afterburner, have you tried monitoring the frametime? If you get 60 FPS but stuttering then you may have an inconsistant (as in wildly varying) frametime.
It may be a syncing problem with your monitor but no guarantee. Your best bet is to try reinstalling graphical drivers. Or rolling back.
>>
>>335828203
Reinstalled and tried a few different drivers. No difference. I am at currently on a Sony Bravia tv/monitor, as far as I know it should be 60Hz. 10+ years old. That's why I think that could be the reason of the problems too.

>>335829262
I haven't tried full diagnosis, but on the quick one it showed no errors. But the PC is around 3 weeks old so...

>>335829625
I actually haven't tried that, will do.

But then again, Metro and skyrim worked perfectly for the most of the time. It's quite complicated actually. There were times that I had stutters in every game and then suddenly it would stop for some, or it would get less noticeable. Then it would show again. Sometimes just stuttering, sometimes frame drops, I had every combination possible.
>>
>>335825867
What kind of potato do you have in your CPU socket? I only have an ivy bridge i5 and a gigabyte G1 970 and I always have 60+ between high and ultra settings... I mean I know the g1 is the fastest 970, but still famalam
>>
Op, are you sure you aren't CPU bottlenecked?
>>
Post Speccy.
>>
>>335830368
>>335830486
i5 6500, I wouldn't really call that a potato. Also DDR4 16gb 2133mhz.

As far as I've seen on monitoring programs, CPU is not bottlenecking. It's really fucking strange problem I'd say.

Might as well write down a whole setup:

i5 6500
Gigabyte GTX 960 4gb OC
DDR4 16gb 2133Mhx
550W Fortron
Asrock B150M
WD 1TB Blue 5400 RPM
Intel 535 SSD 128GB
>>
How much ram do you have? I had this same issue with GTA V. I was getting consistent 60FPS except it would start stuttering without dropping FPS. Turned out I was running out of ram and the stuttering was the pagefile being used on the hard drive
>>
>>335830943
It odd, you have no bottlenecking component. And you PC is recent so I guess it's not a malfunction either.
Do you have any stuttering issues outside of games?
>>
And one more thing, I'm even on 1360×768 resolution, so I have a plenty of FPS in even the demanding games for 960. It's really not that my PC can't handle it. On low it's the same shit too.
>>
>>335830943
What background programs do you run while playing? Even my 970 drops from 80fps to 30 if I try to run a YouTube video or certain flash apps at the same time. Check your task manager
>>
>>335831227
Nope. Everything works perfectly. I'm on W10 btw. I don't know, I really believed I had problems with graphics drivers but after installing the earlier, stable version (362.00) I realised that was not the problem at all. When I buy the new monitor maybe it'll go away, this one is pretty old even if it is actually great model. Or it could be the HDD, I guess I'll try some next game on SSD.
>>
>>335831337
Usually nothing, maybe a browser (nothing playing in bg tho).
>>
>>335831758
Okay, so next question, have you tried running games in windowed mode?
It would be oddly specific, but maybe there is a problem with exclusive fullscreen programs.
>>
HDD asset loading, most likely
>>
If your screen is an old tv monitor that might be an issue, I've seen where HDMI will fuck with your PC if you don't run in via DVI
>>
>>335825603
I only really noticed this in TW3, but it's really jarring.
Fraps shows a stable 60 fps without hairworks. As long as I let go of the mouse and just move using the keyboard, it really feels smooth, but panning the camera makes it feel like I'm playing at silky smooth framerates.
There's no other game where I noticed this either, so I thought it was unique to TW3.
>>
>>335831914
Tried that too. Even going into windowed, and then back into fullscreen.

>>335831926
Wouldn't it preload most of the things anyway? I think the problem occurs only in open areas though... Actually, now I remember that it was happening the interiors in GTA V too. Oh yeah, in houses it was even the bigger shitstorm for some reason.

But yeah, the only two things that I believe could be the reasons left are either the HDD or the old monitor.

>>335832254
Yeah, I mean, I don't have any issues outside of games. And still, there are some of them that work more or less perfectly (skyrim and metro for the 95% of the time).

This monitor worked great for consoles btw, it's that one that was always used on E3 and such back in the days, really was a good tv/monitor.
>>
>>335832606
If you have another monitor lieing around try that, see if VGA works better in some way.
>>
>>335832606
I don't think the issue is your monitor you should upgrade to 1080p by the way, a 768p screen is a waste for a 960 if it's able to correctly display outside of games so as other Anons suggested the issue most likely comes from memory.
I don't think it's VRAM because 4GB is really enough at 768p and so is 16GB of DDR4.
The only thing left is the HDD.
>>
>>335832442
Yeah this, in a witcher it is really noticeable and I guess that is mostly because of the game. But there are fixes for that which didn't help me.

I really need to see some gameplays of that game, but the most terrible thing is when I ride the horse. The camera like, skips a few frames, it feels like it teleports a few inches forward with every step. Annoying as hell. Don't think that should be like that.

>>335832849
I can try it on a TV in a living room, but that one was always bad for games. The last time I connected my pc to it, the screen was a mess and the edges were missing so I didn't bother testing anything on it though.

Appreciate all the help guys, kinda feel like I will never find out the solution though hah.
>>
>>335833065
Yeah, I'll buy a new one soon, just didn't have enough for it while building the PC.

I might ask you now if this one would be problematic, but I guess it won't:

(Dell U2414H 24")
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=860-BBCG

(I know it's not the best refresh rate for the gaming, but honestly I need it for a good color reproduction and other stuff, I didn't buy my PC just for gaming anyway.)
>>
>>335833421
No, this won't cause any issue. A higher refresh rate or resolution would be overkill for your GPU anyway.
>>
>>335833072
I never bothered to look for a fix before, bit here it's an nvidia-specific uissue and you could eliminate it by setting the maximum number of pre-rendered frames in the driver to 1.
>>
>>335834531
Oh yeah, also tried everything in those settings. Nothing helped, for example that specific setting fucks up GTA V for me. But I changed to prefer maximum performance and left it at that.
>>
>>335825603
Motion/Persistence Blur
Get a Lightboost Monitor or a CRT Monitor
>>
>>335834901
Didn't know about that. Will google it.

Thanks everyone for the help once more.
>>
>>335828203
>Bashing on based CRT Monitor
gtfo newfag
>>
>>335832442
It's mouse microstutters
http://www.blurbusters.com/overclocking-mice-to-2000hz/
>>
>>335835194
enjoy your 2p resolution
>>
>>335835081
actually scratch that
that's just for eye-tracking based motion blur not stuttering
G-Sync/Freesync might be able to alleviate some of the problems instead

also refer to this >>335835556
>>
>>335835690
enjoy your shitposting
high-end crt monitors can easily do above 1080p
>>
>>335835081
>>335835836
Actually follow this link that explains mouse microstutters instead http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/mouse-guide/
>>
Try locking frames to 30fps check if it's still stuttering.
Do you have a CRT?
I had similiar problems with my GPU. It was a Radeon R9 280 and I fixed it with custom drivers.
I also read about Mouse problems, which are only really noticable in games.
Try upping your Polling rate or run around with Keyboard only and check if that's making it any better.
>>
>>335830368
Witcher 3 has confirmed frame pacing issues on every PC.

It was clearly designed for 30fps consoles.
>>
>>335836636
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rutk9ErhKG4

proof
>>
>>335836515
>Try upping your Polling rate
this
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.