[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any games with difficulty modes where the 'hard'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: rock on.png (104 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
rock on.png
104 KB, 400x400
Are there any games with difficulty modes where the 'hard' mode changes the game mechanics? I don't mean changing the level geometry, enemy/item spawns or anything like that, I mean changing what the player (and enemies) can do and how the abilities work.
>>
>>335818616
Killing Floor 2 gives the Zambonis more speed and new dodging moves in to addition scaling up the spawns and health.
>>
>>335818616
iirc,There's one boss in legacy of darkness that gains a different attack in hard mode
>>
The Ys games usually give bosses new moves/modifies existing ones and changes enemy aggression based on the difficulty.
>>
MGR makes enemies much more aggressive and make perfect parries one hit kills.
>>
>>335819538
>>335819528
>>335819065
These all sound so modest. I dunno, it's a shame because I think it'd be a cool feature to have since hard modes are usually so straightforward.
>>
File: 13403386076747808967717.jpg (8 KB, 145x139) Image search: [Google]
13403386076747808967717.jpg
8 KB, 145x139
>>335819935
What are you wanting exactly then? Ys: Oath in Felghana does difficulty perfectly I feel except Inferno is basically just a stat increase, but it was included post launch anyway. The final boss, Galbalan, changes up the final phase depending on the difficulty. If you're playing on easy, it's just your standard pong match. On something like Nightmare however, you have to dodge things while hitting the ball back at him. In phase 2 on higher difficulties he combines 2 of his attacks from phase one while a bunch of other bullshit is going on making it one of his most deadly moves to dodge.
>>
>>335819935
It's also a lot of work. Just bumping up the damage/hp/etc. is more simple and cheap than giving them extra moves.

This kind of thoughtfulness and resource quantity is rare these days.

A pity I know.
>>
Monster hunter mons learn more attacks and some higher rank monsters don't fall for traps
>>
>No one's mentioned Time Splitter yet
Really /v/?
>>
>>335821116
Oh yes. Good times.
>>
Kingdom hearts 2 with critical mode I think changes stuff to that level, not sure though
>>
TW3 doesn't heal you when you meditate on higher difficulties
>>
not enough designers realize how to do it.

You start by making a really complex enemy. Now that's "hard". Then on lower difficulties you just take away things the enemy does. In reality "Normal" is the neutered original version and "Hard" is the regular version but the player need not know that. Good design is all smoke and mirrors.

Nowadays devs just make a base enemy. Then ramp up from there and things tend to get out of hand or they just stack health/damage.
>>
File: gene.png (225 KB, 423x616) Image search: [Google]
gene.png
225 KB, 423x616
God Hand makes it so enemies are way more aggressive, have stunning/unblockable attacks, attack even in swarms, give bosses new attacks (I think), and a few other things that escape my memory.
>>
>>335821692
>Has a video game ever done [good idea]?
>Yeah God Hand did it
Every fucking time
>>
>>335821692
Not just bosses, every single enemy almost gets new attacks.
>>
>>335821692
I'M BRUTAL AND RUTHLESS
>>
>>335821429
See this is how I can see why you're not a successful businessman or good at selling things.

Take a game. How many people are going to play it on normal and how many are going to play it on hard? The answer is statistically proven that a lot more will play it on normal, with a big percentage never replaying the game on hard.

What you're asking devs to do is place the original content of the game in a place that the majority won't go through. Content which could have been on normal, and which the players could have seen and enjoyed. These people will finish the game once on normal, then go and complain how the enemies don't have a lot of moves and are boring, and they won't recommend it to their friends.
I'm not saying it's bad or good, I'm just saying how this is commercially approached.

Personally I prefer the old arcade model, (seen today in Dark Souls) with a single difficulty. If the game is too hard then you have to git gud or just give up on playing. That's it, the game just beat you and there's nothing you can do about it, no easy mode to help, you obviously don't enjoy the gameplay itself so just watch the cutscenes on youtube. And if the game is too easy then congrats you're good.
>>
>>335822394
YOU'RE NOT ALEXANDER!
>>
Recent Kirby games do this well with bosses. The difference between Arena and True Arena can seem fucking staggering if you're not used to how the formula goes.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.