[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Three full budget console RPGs. >A phone text adventure.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
File: BlueEyedKOSMOS.jpg (436 KB, 1439x769) Image search: [Google]
BlueEyedKOSMOS.jpg
436 KB, 1439x769
>Three full budget console RPGs.
>A phone text adventure.
>A portable remake.
>An anime.
>Tons of merch.
>Only one game that even comes close to "good".

How do you fuck up this hard?
Why is Xenosaga so terrible?
>>
>>335802906
People liked it for the robotits. Nobody who actually played the games would ever say it's a good experience to play them.
I'm saying this as someone who enjoyed playing Drakengard.
>>
>>335803593
The first game was rather enjoyable
the second one is the black sheep ala Devil May Cry 2 bad
The third one was alright. Not bad, but not as good as the first one.
>>
>>335803703
third one was the best one senpai
>>
>>335803908
I didn't feel it was the best. It felt miles better than 2, but no where good as the first one. The first game had a 3D anime feel to it that was thrown out in the 2nd one. The third one didn't restore the anime feel but improved the gameplay from 2 but it was no where good as one.
>>
File: 1416295048352.jpg (834 KB, 1200x1042) Image search: [Google]
1416295048352.jpg
834 KB, 1200x1042
>>335803593

>People liked it for the robotits.

And how!
>>
The authors are fantastic at world building and writing but they have the ill misfortune of getting fucked by their publishers.
To their own fault though, both Gears and Saga were to be 6 games but Soraya has no backup plan if the publisher cuts them short or if sales suck.
Saga 1 and 3 are fucking GOTY.
In all honesty Takahashi and Soraya are better off writing Light Novels.
>>
>>335804439
Well, the xeno franchise is 6 games
>XenoGears
>XenoSaga 1-3
>XenoBlade Chronicles
>XenoBlade Censorcles X

PS: I know what you said, I'm just being an ass
>>
>>335804118
honestly that is a perfect synopsis of the series.

I've always loved playing through 1 because its like watching a really high quality anime with some gameplay in between.

I try and play through 1 every few years, its still in my top 3 favorite games of all time just for the setting and story.

Also, kosmos is my waifu, shame there will never be an HD remaster collection of the games since shitendo owns monolith soft and namco bandai doesnt give 2 fucks about the series anymore.
>>
>try to play 2
>every single goddamn fight takes forever
>>
I enjoyed Kos-Mos more in Endless Frontier than in Xenosaga
>>
>>335804573
Hah, fair enough.
I think the series will stay at Nintendo considering Nintendo's willingness to take risks.
The only drawback is the censorship and kid friendly approach.
>>
>>335805812
>EXCEED localisation never

Whatever.
>>
>>335802906
>Only one game that even comes close to "good".
Still one more than Xenoblade.
>>
>>335803703
>the first game was rather enjoyable
No.
The first game's gameplay was literally Guard -> Special Attack -> Guard -> Special Attack and so on. It's one of the easiest and most cheeseable RPGs I've ever played. Even without cheesing I never got a game over. There is really no strategy into it outside of the occasional Gnosis that counters Ether attacks. The plot starts alright but one third of the game is Nephilim and Febronia giving you allucinations that make no sense and they are both extremely frustrating, as soon as the party entered inside KOS-MOS the game started going full retard with the plot and never once recovered. The only saving grace 1 has is the battle theme, which is like the only battle theme in the whole game, but holy shit if it's not good.
>>
>How do you fuck up this hard?
It was originally supposed to have 6 or 7 entries.

Then they forced it down to 4

then they said no 4th game, wrap it up in 3.

That fucked it up.
>>
>>335803703
>The first game was enjoyable
Half of the fucking game was unnecessary setup, Cherenkov's entire thing is told in a pretentious way instead of shown, and the rest of the game is Albedo stopping you from progressing the plot.

I don't get people who excuse this shit, the writing in part one is fucking terrible. Even if it was all setup it handled it poorly.
>>
>>335807275
You don't plan a story for 6-7 entries from the get go. All that nets you is a plot that doesn't end and is frustrating from the get go. Forcing it into less games is the best thing they did.
>>
>>335808737
>Cherenkov's
stopped reading there, take a break from TV tropes and you might enjoy shit easier.
>>
>>335807113
more like abuse the stock/vulnerability mechanics, which is kinda similiar to nocturn

btw xs3 best xs
>>
>>335809005
I disagree, there was so much cut I just wanna know what it was originally supposed to be.

The drag on excuse just means people have ADD, a JRPG that could break 500 hours just for the story would be great.
>>
File: 1338523872474.jpg (58 KB, 525x650) Image search: [Google]
1338523872474.jpg
58 KB, 525x650
>mfw I really enjoyed the first game
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 554x799) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 554x799
Maybe they shouldn't have made a legitimately mentally ill person as the MC

>>335809005
>You don't plan a story for 6-7 entries from the get go.

He planned this shiy back in '98.

1/2
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 560x799) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 560x799
>>335809254
2/2
>>
>>335804584
IDK, I'd say KOS-MOS is the Morrigan of Namco. True, they'll never give a shit about the Saga series as a whole, but you better believe Kos-Mos will pop up in almost any and every Namco crossover.

Hell, she's even somewhat canon in the SRW universe, granted the EF series are both spinoffs.
>>
>>335809397
>KOS-MOS is the Morrigan of Namco

Already false

she has more than one sprite
>>
>>335809043
Are you confusing Andrew with Chekov's Gun or something? He was a terribly implemented character that, in a well written first installment, would have been better suited as the final boss.

Then again, a well written game would have ACTUALLY started at the Miltian Conflict before jumping forward instead of constantly bombarding players with limp flashbacks. Cherenkov needed a few, obviously, but relating his entire arc and purpose that way was garbage.
>>
>>335809175
>It's the audience's fault that a 40 hour game stuffed with superfluous content has no climax or resolution.

Imagine if A New Hope was like XS1. Chapters/Episodes exist to convey a larger narrative over smaller, more focused stories. If you can't even bother to do more than very poor character work and world building in a full $60 product, you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>335809254
Have you actually read those two pages? For all the we're-gonna-have-star-wars-numbers shit they've wrapped around it in the book, this is just the background of the one Xenogears game. Everything that's mentioned on those pages is used in the game. Xenogears was self-contained and Xenosaga wasn't, and suffered from it.
>>
>>335804439
This. Takahashi is perhaps the most prolific writer/designer ever in my opinion.
>>
Anyone who likes Xenosaga has extremely low standards. Even the team realized 1 & 2 kinda sucked and condensed the shit out of them for the DS conversion.
>>
>>335804439
I was going to mock you for praising Takahashi and Saga's writing, but
>Ill misfortune

Really nigga?
>>
>>335810162
They didn't condense it because they sucked, they condensed it because 1&2 were originally a single PS2 project cut in halves when they realized they wouldn't be able to do everything in time.
>>
>>335810437
Which is why they completely excised Cherenkov from the story despite having plenty of space on the cart, right?

Wake up, dumbass. Even THEY realized they core story had gotten away from them, tangled up in useless subplots.
>>
>>335804439
>they have the ill misfortune of getting fucked by their publishers
You go over budget and release a half baked game once, it might not be your fault. You go over budget twice, it's you. Xenoblade went right because a second lead was brought in by Nintendo, who was known for actually finishing his projects.
>>
>>335810709
They could've excised those plot threads without condensing the two games though. So you're the one talking out of your ass.
>>
>>335810849
Even if 1 and 2 were one game from the start, it STILL wouldn't be satisfying. It's just bad planning on top of that.
>>
>>335810980
...are you fucking retarded?
Please think about what you're saying.

Since it was possible to shove these two games together and keep it a reasonable length without changing the story at all, that means the removal of content wasn't for condensing the story.

Do you understand how fucking stupid that sounds? Why do you think they removed content they didn't need to unless it was to streamline the story?
>>
>>335811562
Low-spec spinoff game that only got made because there was an anime to drive sales *if* the game got out in time for said anime, no time for the usual endless dev bullshit. Gotta cut stuff to make it on budget and on time.
>>
>>335812058
The story content was pure text and character portraits. They already had character portraits for Andrew, for examples, and some of the changes didn't save time: they just made things less needlessly complicated.

Unless you think they just threw mention of Canaan into the X1 segment for shits and giggles, I think it's easy to understand that your position is pretty fucking retarded.

1&2 existed to unfuck the story before 3 came out.
>>
>>335812385
Cherenkov was cut from 1+2 DS because be was cut from the anime.

...granted, that's because his part of the story is long, pointless, and introduces plotholes.
>>
Is the DS version better?
>>
>>335813048
It's in Japanese.

If you can speak nip, like sprite art, and don't care for games that take 80 hours to get going, then yes.
>>
>>335812385
As the other guy said, the cuts that happened happened because that stuff wasn't in the anime. You're putting too much though into what was just a quick cash-in.
>>
>>335813220
I can't into nip at all, shame.
>>
Is the 2nd game enjoyable at all? I'm about to emulate the first game.
>>
>>335813634
And like I said, the anime cut it because, like he said, it was shit that didn't work. So you're both right
>>
>>335815378
Neither is very good. The second is the precursor to Final Fantasy 13.
>>
>>335804439
I wish they would just write down everything they plan to do, story wise, just so if any of them die it'll already all be written down somewhere. I'd like to see what they're trying to do but fucking rebooting shit after a game, or at most three, makes it hard to tell shit.
>>
>>335815378
Just play 1 and 3, 2 was pretty boring.
>>
>>335817801

There's a book that has some info on some of the shit they were planning for Xenosaga, like what happens after ep 3.
>>
>>335802906
Because its not Final Fantasy
>>
>>335819570
what book?
>>
>>335809145
Of course it is. It's not like it has much competition between 1 and 2.
1 is extremely doable without abusing vulnerability, and only abusing stock for a few bosses 'cause their whole gimmick is about stock. I don't even know what any enemy is weak to in that game other than robots being weak to electricity, but all my electric attacks did less than Moonlight Serenade or R-Cannon so I decided I would not give a shit about weaknesses. It worked fine.
>>
>>335804439
>The authors are fantastic at world building and writing but they have the ill misfortune of getting fucked by their publishers.
It's a good thing they're under Nintendo now. For once they have a pretty lax publisher and it's paying off.
>>
>>335802906
I enjoyed all of Xenosaga. I liked the space setting and all the confusing shit that only made sense at the end
>>
xenogears and xenoblade are the only good games in this series
>>
>>335820301

Still looking for it. I think it was called Xenosaga Perfect Guide.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.