[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When will we see another good lovecraft game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: dcote.jpg (27 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
dcote.jpg
27 KB, 460x215
When will we see another good lovecraft game?
>>
There are currently 3 or so in developement, I only recall one name atm though: http://frogwares.com/games/
>>
>>335786581
There's 2.
One by Frogwares and one by Cyanide.
The one by Cyanide is actually just continued work on Frogwares' original Call of Cthulhu game that got passed on to Cyanide to finish while Frogwares started development on a new one.
>>
Draugen looks decent
https://youtube.com/watch?v=7_z-KQl6WOs
>>
>>335785925
Bloodborne
>>
>>335785925
Bloodborne?
>>
File: 1434398931108.png (61 KB, 150x220) Image search: [Google]
1434398931108.png
61 KB, 150x220
>>335785925
>DCotE
>Good Lovecraft game
>>
Darkness Within 1&2 and their new project Transcend
>>
>>335787593
Hey neo/v/. Study for that Social Studies test?
>>
>>335787593
If a diamond in the rough gets hammered until it cracks then tossed into a septic tank, it's still a diamond in the rough.
>>
>>335787491
>>335787569
Bloodborne.
>>
>>335787693
>You must like this gun slinging """""Lovecraft""""" game or you're le neo-/v/!!!
>>
>>335787693
DCotE can never be a good Lovecraft game when the second half exists. A major theme of Lovecraft's writing is the insignificance of humans in the universe. You fighting Flying Polyps, a shoggoth and fucking Dagon goes against that.
>>
>>335787593
It's pretty good.
It has some annoying places but all in all a cool game.
>>
>>335788649
See >>335788603

But most people don't even read Lovecraft and just fall for the Cthulhu meme xDDDD.

August Derleth is to blame for this, really.
>>
>>335788603
It's meant to be an action game with lovecraftian influences.
>>
>>335788815
That's all well and good, but the OP offered DCotE as an example of a good Lovecraft game. I enjoy DCotE, it's what got me into reading Lovecraft, but going back to it I can see it gets many things wrong, especially in the second half.
>>
>>335788815
In other words, garbage as far as being Lovecraftian goes.

Cthulhu Saves the World is an RPG with "Lovecraftian influences" but it's still a shitty ass meme game that's just enabling more Cthulhu autism.
>>
>>335788998
>>335788951
If you put it that way, yes.
>>
The Secret World
>>
>>335789135
To be fair to the game it's hard to get Lovecraft right with video game mechanics. You'd have to make a game in which you lose much more than you win, and that's a niche thing at best.
>>
>>335789187
Another garbage game. Both Lovecraftian wise and otherwise. Hell, the first area is absolute shit to begin with.
>>
>>335788397
No, it's just easy to point out the retard based on his stupid opinions.
>>
>>335789262
You can make it right. But this wouldn't sell that well.
Imagine shadows over Innsmouth as a game.
It would be 50% talking about streetnames.
>>
>>335787593
>>335788603
>>335788998
>>335789262
>le I le want le Telltale horsehit pl0x!!!!
Good evening m'fellow Ledditor
>>
>>335789320
You should look at >>335788603

>>335789426
While you're shitposting you should realise that while not maybe Telltale format point and click / adventure games work by far the best for anything Lovecraftian shit.
>>
>>335788603
maybe you missed something but the main character is not human

also I'only read a few books but at least in dunwich horror the humans win
>>
File: 1461378399061.jpg (59 KB, 655x527) Image search: [Google]
1461378399061.jpg
59 KB, 655x527
Bloodborne is the pinnacle.
>Dream worlds
>Mating between man and old gods
>insignificant player character
>insanity meter as a game mechanic
>shoggoth
>incomprehensible forms
It really is the best part of the mythos in video game form. Too bad everyone thinks Lovecraft is "DUDE TENTACLES LMAO"
>>
>>335790034
>good lore hidden in a game where no one actually knows the lore
>>
>>335790034
MC is Mary Sue but other than that very Lovecraftian. Shame that gameplay is spam to win.
>>
>>335789262
>You'd have to make a game in which you lose much more than you win, and that's a niche thing at best
Thats not really so niche. Gamers are used to not kicking ass or fighting back in horror games.
>>
>>335790263
>Shame that gameplay is spam to win.
???

>>335790034
>insignificant player character
You literally beat several Great Ones and even the fucking Moon dude.
>>
>>335790034
Fuck you. You literally kill Cthulhu and buddies in that game. That alone undermines everything it actually succeeds at in making a "lovecraftian" game.
>Too bad everyone thinks Lovecraft is "DUDE TENTACLES LMAO"
Ironic that you say that when most of the enemy designs in BB are just "tentacles lmao".
>>
>>335785925
But after months of diving and the loss of two divers the search revealed nothing. Boer (Bolton) himself declined to speak about what had transpired until he published the account in the United Nation Environment News 40 years later. He said that during a dive his team was assailed by a dazzling bright light and a high-pitched screeching sound coming from the water’s depths. The lake, he claimed, felt as though it was shaking, and he was pulled into a vortex. He momentarily went dizzy and lost consciousness,

Wtf china

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/876184-the-bermuda-triangle-of-the-east-mystery-continues/
>>
>>335790263
>Shame that gameplay is spam to win.
How so? Spam what? Did you even play the game?
>>
>>335790407On April 16, 1945, a Japanese transport ship called the Kobe Maru was ferrying more than 200 troops through the Laoye Temple waters on a calm bright and sunny day. It’s hold was full of plunder — antiques, paintings, gold, silver, and pearls. Suddenly the weather turned foul, and a huge tide rose up, breaking the ship into pieces and sucking it down into the depths of the lake. As soon as the ship was gone the weather cleared, the winds ceased, and the sun again shone as if nothing had happened. The Japanese navy immediately sent a rescue team under the command of Colonel Tomohisa. The lake was only 30 meters deep at that time of year, and seven divers went down looking for the lost ship and its treasure. The Colonel was the only man to return. Though he did so a very changed man. The reports state that he was thereafter unresponsive, suffered severe memory lost, and was subsequently carded as insane.
>>
>>335790425
Well, uhh, you know man!!!! Like, you press buttons to win! Like, uhhh, r1! YEAH R1!!! And also R2, and like, L1 and L2 and someties circle or square or triangle... Fucking spamming to win man!!!! Pressing buttons..... And like half of them are attack buttons!!!!!! Roll, roll, roll, orll, attack attack attck!!!! Sounds like spam to ME MANNNNN!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!
>>
>>335790524In a thirty year period between the early 1960s and the late 1980s over 200 ships have gone down in the Laoye Temple waters, leading to the deaths of 1,600 people, and leaving just 30 survivors — all of whom are said to have subsequently lost their minds.
>>
>>335790618
what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>335790382
>kill an abandoned great one that is botched
>kill the host body of a great one thats name literally means retarded
>kill an eyeball jar
>kill an amagydala (which there are plenty)
Wet Nurse and Moon Presence are the only real ones and moon presence is optional
>>
>>335790757
I..... I just can't stand when people try to say good things about or defend Bloodborne, a game I have NEVER played and NEVER will......
>>
>>335790407
Spooks me hard. My worst nightmares are getting dragged into a deep lake or ocean. Fuck I watched a YouTube video of a shark attack and that night had a heart exploding nightmare of racing to shore from a great white.
>>
Fuck off you subhuman darkened creature of blasphemous metissage. Your dirty beady-eyed hispanic face is not welcome on this proud ancestral Anglo-Saxon board. Filthy mud-blooded animals like you belong only in the primal jungle hunting other degenerate creatures of your kind and carving up their flesh with a rusty machete that your granddad Joaozinho Carlos de Ronaldopereira left to you. All in all you are nothing but a primitive atavism of evolution, a repulsive undeveloped primate polluting this planet which rightfully belongs to the Aryan Race. Drive your old machete through your own chest if you want to end your suffering, because you won't become any more human as days go by, you fucking cruel misrepresentation of humanity, goddamn godless indian subhuman mongoloid.
>>
>>335790953
Whether optional or not is irrelevant. In the end you're fucking stronk ass hunter who beats fucking everything.

>>335791063
>Your dirty beady-eyed hispanic face
But Lovecraft only hated black people. He even praised a hispanic character in one of his stories.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.