[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is no one talking about this game? I just finished it, n
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 13
File: Hyper-Light-Drifter-featured.png (65 KB, 600x361) Image search: [Google]
Hyper-Light-Drifter-featured.png
65 KB, 600x361
Why is no one talking about this game?
I just finished it, not 100%, and it's a complete masterpiece. The gameplay surely is the best part, a fast paced difficult but not unfair stylish combat and great exploration!
It feels like an indie old zelda with cyberpunk themes, and I really encourage you guys to check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWufEJ1Ava0
>>
I'm having alot of fun with it yes. Could probably do without whatever the narrituve is supposed to be though, especially the vomitting, but that's just a nitpick.
>>
Indie
Pixel
Garbage

Or IPG, as I like to call it.
>>
>>335772771
those sprite designs are shit and blend into the background too much
>>
FPS harms the gameplay. It's like trying to play DMC at 30FPS.
>>
>30 fps
>action game

Nah. Spritework is amazing though.
>>
>>335772771
I played it for a few hours and liked it! The difficulty is high enough to where progressing in the game is rewarding. I also like the show, don't tell policy of the storytelling, although I think its a bit TOO vague.
Anywho, I've beaten two bosses. Heading to the West next.
>>
>30 fps
>no story
I want to like this game, but I have no idea what's going on.
>>
>>335772962
>>335773685
>>335773946
The story is quite cloudy, but just like From Software games, people have managed to crack it down. I just watched a video explaining everything, but I suggest you only watch that after you beat the game!

>>335773246
>>335773415
At the price of sounding like a paid shill, the sprite artwork is actually quite beautiful and never harms the gameplay, really. Torrent it and give it a try.

>>335773432
>>335773510
It's not a spectacle fighter that's for sure, and I do agree 60 fps would've been nice, but being sprites and top down, it's not that troubling
>>
Was great fun
>>
>Fair

I especially remember that crystal king with his vertical slashes going a quarter of the way up the screen. Obviously you shouldn't get hit by it because you're far behind him but because it's a 2d game you do.
>>
>>335772771
I like the game, but there are a lot of reasons why no one is talking about it.

I feel like one big thing is the 30 fps. In pc gaming, people hear something like that and they're like 'eehhhh' and are turned off.

Hell this game would have gotten a huge boost in recognition and sales if TB had done a video on it, and it seemed like he wanted to, but the 30 fps was just such a turn off for him he didn't wanna do a thing with it.

Plus theres a shit ton of promised content from the kickstarter that didn't make it into the game, which sucks big balls.
>>
File: 1419859739548.png (13 KB, 555x407) Image search: [Google]
1419859739548.png
13 KB, 555x407
>>335774823
Or you could run around in circles and dodge when he attacked hahaha
>>
they should release a patch fixing the 30 fps shit
>>
>>335774913
>In pc gaming, people hear something like that and they're like 'eehhhh' and are turned off.
Trust me when I tell you they're in the minority. Most people won't complain when a game has a stable 30fps
>>
>>335775007
I mean not really.

Like the reason why this game came out, flew under the radar and no one gives is a shit is because not enough big people promoted it, partly due to the 30fps and some unfun gamepaly elements.

The game had some great ideas, but the devs fucked up. The engine they used allows greater than 60, so yeah eggs on their face that the game is gonna go unrecognized.

shame cause theres some good stuff in there.
>>
>>335772771
what is there to talk about
>>
>>335772771
>Why is no one talking about this game?
Indy pixel shit with console frame rates? I wonder why?
>>
>>335774945
Obviously you learn, but a vertical slice shouldn't hit above him like that .
>>
File: 1388862015688.jpg (53 KB, 300x562) Image search: [Google]
1388862015688.jpg
53 KB, 300x562
>>335775135
Are there 60fps pixel games?

Maybe I'm just enamored with the game because I just played it, but I really can't see an issue with this. People eat up Dark Souls on consoles at sub 25fps. Hell, I'd say Hyper Light Drifter is more polished than Dark Souls 2 or that one copy Lords of the Fallen or some shit.
>>
>>335775135
Just because totalbiscuit sticks to his principles of technical standards for pc gaming and refuses to promote games that don't meet his standards does not mean that a majority of PC gamers care that much about 60fps.
>>
>>335775467
Yes. There are. In fact a lot of the old pixel games of the SNES era were 60. A lot of pixel indie games that come out today practcally have unlimited fps.

Enter the Gungeon is an action game that runs much, much better than Hyper Light Drifter.

Lol what did you just say? More polished than DS2? There were a ton of people that couldn't even get the game running at launch, with how poorly polished it is.
>>
>>335775467
Dark Souls 2 was feces
>>
>>335775467
Dark souls is a graphically intensive game for the weak hardware of consoles.

Hyper LIght Drifter is a 2D pixel art game.
Theres no fucking excuse for it running so slowly.
>>
I might also buy this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lethalgames/ren-hu-rebel-yell-a-hardcore-strategic-beatem-up-g
>>
>>335775586
Then how come no one is 'talking about it' like op says?

Doesn't help the fact that most youtubers who tried playing it gave up after 4 or so episodes. Usually thats a bad sign so people stay away.
>>
>>335775467
What? Most games pre-3D were usually 60fps if I' not mistaken
>>
File: been here too long.jpg (361 KB, 1280x970) Image search: [Google]
been here too long.jpg
361 KB, 1280x970
>>335775651
>>335775672
>>335775729
>>335775825
You guys are absolutely right. It looks so much better in 60fps and I bet the gameplay would feel better too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Ni83Hn87s

However, there's this guy that explained a bit why they chose to keep it 30fps (besides being lazy fucks supported by kickstarter)
--------------
There are 2 issues with interpolating the video and then saying the game should look like this, a big one and a small one.

The big issue: They would have to double the amount of hand-drawn sprites to equal this video. They could arguably interpolate the sprites and then clean them up afterwards, but that would still be a tremendous amount of work. Also it would probably increase the game size by a fairly significant amount.

The smaller issue: Thanks to the 720p resolution, the interpolation introduces a lot of 'half pixels' which while this could technically be done in-game, would require all the sprites to be up-scaled so that each 'pixel' is actually 2 pixels (so you could offset the bigger 'pixels' by a pixel). This would kinda defeat the whole pixel art look though as pixels would no longer line up.

Of course the 'easy' way (which is by no means easy in GM) would be to update the game to run the logic at 60fps and maintain the ~30fps sprites. I don't see this changing much given the low internal resolution though. The reason this makes a difference to how things look and feel: If you have a 1000 horizontal pixels on screen, and want to take 5 seconds to move a pixel across the screen, you can draw at 60fps and display on 300 of those pixels. If that resolution is 100 pixels however, at 60fps you'll be displaying that pixel on each pixel for 3 frames, for an effective 20fps.

Of course you could solve that by bumping the internal resolution, but that kinda defeats the whole purpose of pixel art if the pixels no longer line up.
>>
Game looks neato but I dont get the zelda comparison, zelda has combat, puzzles, platforming and exploration, this game looks like it is missing the puzzle and platforming part. So I don't know how it can be compared to zelda.
>>
>>335775467
>Are there 60fps pixel games?
Am I being rused here?
>>
>>335775881
Yeah, holy shit first time I've seen this. The game looks so much better with 60 fps.

From what I heard about the whole debate, and from what a lot of people have said, is that they didn't do a certain thing with the Game Maker engine very early on in the dev process.

Essentially by default when you use game maker, you're going to make a game that runs at 30 fps and the engine is tied to that.

BUUUUT, I've heard that its very easy to change that setting. The fact they didn't just shows they're inexperience, or so thats what I've heard from other indie devs.

Like you make it sound like its a ton of work, but plenty of other pixel games go far and beyond 60 fps easily. A fast paced action game like HLD sort of really needed it, especially if it wanted to find a strong fanbase on pc. Sadly they just didn't do it.

Oh well, shame its gonna get lost to history.
>>
File: 1374210108277.png (94 KB, 287x274) Image search: [Google]
1374210108277.png
94 KB, 287x274
>>335775937
It has its fair share of platforming, some of it is actually challenging. The puzzles are missing though, the most you'll do is find hidden switches or invisible platforms or ways to get to a place you can see but not obviously get to.

>>335775965
I'm sorry, I'm not that into games and found out I said something retarded soon after I google'd it. In fact, I found out I can emulate Secret of Mana at 60fps. Gonna do that next!
>>
>>335773432
>>335773510
The framerate just makes me feel a bit sick when the camera moves sometimes.
It's so choppy.
>>
>>335775937

Its 2D Zelda comparison, which didn't really have platforming in the style of say Mario.

Also the game does have puzzles.

Source: I've played it
>>
>>335775881
the question is are the devs willing to patch their broken game

nah to lazy
>>
>>335776191
>>335776264
One person says its light on puzzles but has some platforming and the other says its light on platforming but has some puzzles.

Who do I believe?
>>
>>335776656
Don't believe any of them its actually a dating sim
>>
>>335775881
>The big issue: They would have to double the amount of hand-drawn sprites to equal this video.
No you retard.
Video game frame rate and frames of animation for a sprite are not related.
NES games have 4 frame walk cycles that look like shit, but the games themselves, the scrolling and sprite movement and such, happen at 60 fps.
>>
>>335775881
I dont blame them, sometimes you make a bad design derision early on and you just have to live with it and try your best to work around it.

In one of our projects we found out a year in a derision we made in the first few months was going to be a continuous source of pain but the whole project would essentially have to be scrapped to undo it. So we had to do our best to work around it, the whole mistake probably knocks the frame rate down for the average player by about 35% and makes level iteration slow but unfortunately that stuff just happens sometimes, hindsight is always 20/20.
>>
>>335776604
They'd have to rework the entire game to support 60fps. It was a design decision to keep it to 30. An unfortunate design decision.

I had a good time with it, framerate notwithstanding. It looked good, it played well once you got used to it, and I got my dollar-per-hour's worth. I enjoyed the lore of the world, too. Bladerunner-esque soundtrack was cool, too, if a little too Fez at times.
>>
>>335776931
>>335776902

Then its just unfortunate that the game is gonna be forgotten completely in about a month or two.

If you fuck something up and go 'oh well gotta live with it' then you have to accept when no one gives a flying fuck about your game past 3 weeks.
>>
>>335776931
I seriously doubt it was a "decision". They most likely just went with Game Maker default settings without any thought, and Game Maker defaults to garbage.
>>
>>335777106
Melodramatic much? That sort of thing happens during the development of every single game ever made, every dev on every project wishes they could have done some things differently, the only difference in this case is you know about it for once.
>>
>>335776931
>Bladerunner-esque soundtrack was cool, too, if a little too Fez at times
Fez's soundtrack is about the only good thing to come out of that game, so I don't understand this as a complaint.
>>
>>335777136
like they didn't read the manual or something

you should always read the manual
>>
>>335772771
One of the best games this year but vanilla gets too easy if you get upgrades, NG+ is what the default difficulty should be
>>
>>335772771
It's an okay game that suffers from being too short, lacking variety, and not delivering on half the promised features.
>>
File: 1425047036648.jpg (76 KB, 640x840) Image search: [Google]
1425047036648.jpg
76 KB, 640x840
>>335776656
Well, there's a section you have to chain dashes really quickly in order to move through platforms that get on fire when you step on them, that's platforming, right?
There's also a section you have to go around in the dark and look through a wall to see where you could stand in the next room without being crushed, that's a puzzle. These kind of things are there.

>>335776893
Yes, but wouldn't you have to make more sprites or else the animation would double the speed?

>>335777106
It's a real shame. I'm doing Computer Engineering and have tried my hand and game developing. It's a real pain, let me tell you. Maybe the devs really didn't have experience and didn't want to go back and re-do many things.

>>335777268
The soundtrack is great, you get many moments of awe seeing the Colossus, in a boss fight or even just wandering around.

>>335777336
Nigga I just insta-dropped it after seeing I only had two health bars. Maybe I suck at games?

>>335777509
I think it being short was actually nice. Can you elaborate on what was promised?
Nowadays I don't have time to dump into a game except when I'm away on vacation :(
>>
>>335772771
It was out of my head the instant after I've completed it. The narrative is completely impotent, rehashing the same SotC-like sequence without any payoff or timing, and being brief to a fault about anything that's going on.
>>
>>335777687
I just realized I posted a 9gag watermarked picture. Please pardon me.

Is there no way to sage anymore? Where's the email field?
>>
>>335777687
>dropped it because no health bars
Git gud
>>
>>335777336
Nah, dying in one hit is a really shitty way to have dificulty. They should have just had less health kits littering the areas, and had more fights with many enemies.
The southern area should have been a step up in difficulty as well, since they can assume you're good enough to beat everything else and have upgrades, but it wasn't really, it was just more of the same.
>>
>>335777687
>Yes, but wouldn't you have to make more sprites or else the animation would double the speed?
No you fucking idiot, you just make each frame of animation last twice as long instead.
>>
>>335777687
>Yes, but wouldn't you have to make more sprites or else the animation would double the speed?
Download a cartoon and watch it frame by frame, you absolute numpty.
>>
>>335777687
Anon, no.
Fucking no.

Frames of animation and frame rate are not related.

Look... think about Pong for a second. Pong has no frames of animation. Things only move around on screen, they don't animate.
Do you think Pong runs at 0 fps, then?
>>
>>335773992
>The story is quite cloudy, but just like From Software games, people have managed to crack it down. I just watched a video explaining everything, but I suggest you only watch that after you beat the game!
I hate this kind of thing. Jeez, just tell the fucking story with words. I want developers to remember that's part of the fun too.
>>
>>335772771
>This better not be faggot dev shilling again

>23 posters

Yeah
>>
>>335773992
Being a 2D game locked at 30fps is worse tho. I still enjoyed the game a lot, gameplay is great but could have been amazing with the proper frame rate, overall the game lacks polish in a lot of áreas, like how diverse the secrets are, 100% counting for jackshit since where's not a secret ending.

It could have been a contender for goty if it was better polished
>>
File: 1417423950737.jpg (78 KB, 832x584) Image search: [Google]
1417423950737.jpg
78 KB, 832x584
>>335772771
>vomit inducing color scheme
>30fps
>le retro pixels
>>
>>335778294
>with words
Show, don't tell, nigger.

The problem with HLD's story/narrative/whatever is that it's overly vague and minimal and gives you little to no reason to care, not that there weren't enough words.
>>
>>335775467
Momodora reverie under moonlight, a much better and cheaper game
>>
>>335772771
>it's a complete masterpiece
Nope, it's not. It's pretty mediocre and the art direction is retarded.

Even Enter the Gungeon is better than this shit.
>>
>>335778294
There's plenty of that out there already. I think subject's storytelling is piss, but souls' stuff is virtual archeology, exploring the ruins of a civilisation for artifacts with loose threads of history attached to them, and this commitment is fresh and valuable.
>>
>>335778294
I'm bitching about the framerate, but personally I thought the way they told the story was clever, and a bit refreshing.

Like noone on their team was a writer, but you don't have to be a writer to come up with a good story. You do have to be a writer though, to actually write a good story.

So when you're not a writer, but an artist, what do you do? Draw the story in a picture book fashion.

It got the job done, and left room for interpretation, which I thought was cool.
Thats really the problem. As an actual game, its designed well. I personally love the music, art, gameplay, and story directions. It reminds me a lot of Dark Souls 1, where if you see a cool thing in the distance, guess what you're going to get to see that thing up close and personal (Such as the robot laying against the mountain).
>>
Every single intro to gamemaker video mentions changing the default framerate. I can't imagine how they missed that.
>>
>>335778063
It's a game about poking in and out of combat, with chain dash you can never ever get hit if you're good enough
>>
>>335778935
>if you're good enough
Then it isn't a problem.
>>
File: 1374306454502.gif (1 MB, 270x235) Image search: [Google]
1374306454502.gif
1 MB, 270x235
>>335778453
Sorry, anon. I didn't know the OP wasn't supossed to answer the posts. I've said before that I might have looked like a shill but actually just wanted to discuss videogames.

>>335778493
Exactly! After the hundreth yellow square I didn't care anymore!

>>335778781
Why do you think the art is bad? It looks great to me!

>>335778686
Damn, son! This looks fantastic. Will download next. Thanks, anon.

>>335778935
What about those tight areas packed full of enemies that can fire projectiles?
>>
File: 1459460297409.gif (1 MB, 386x286) Image search: [Google]
1459460297409.gif
1 MB, 386x286
>>335775586
I care about 60 FPS. I really appreciate it when the game appears smooth.
>>
>>335773246
>replying to a 2 hour old post
whatever, this should be
Pixel
Indie
Garbage
So you can call the games PIGs.
>>
>>335779056
Enjoy Momodora, is short but sweet, gets easy at the end thanks to an OP upgrade, still, the atmosphere is amazing, visually is one of the best sprite works I've ever seen, the vids fights are really fun, and before the upgrade is pretty darn challenging.
>>
>>335772771
where i can download this
>>
>>335773992
comparing to souls is code for this game is shit, and I need a shitty game people like to compare it to.
>>
>>335779220
Or he could beat the first boss without getting hit and have an easy time for the rest of the game.
>>
>>335779190
but then the jews couldn't play them
>>
>>335775467
Hotline Miami is 60fps and on the same engine too.
>>
>>335774823
its boring and linear

exploration is just look for the ledge or invisible platform
>>
I really enjoyed the game, enough to complete it 100%. That said, I felt really let down by the story. It was just too vague and too up for interpretation, and I usually love vague stories.
The framerate also bothered me because the controls felt unresponsive (especially trying to chain dashes) and in a fastpaced game like this its just unforgivable. I usually dont give a shit about framerate either so it really shows that it was a huge problem.
Basically I felt like it lacked polish and was also priced a bit high for the amount of content it delivered.
>>
>>335779641
>I usually dont give a shit about framerate either so it really shows that it was a huge problem.
Yeah, I'm not sure what it is about Hyper Light Drifter in particular, but I can play the original Star Fox and not be too bothered by the frame rate most of the time, yet this game being locked at 30 fps really annoys me for some reason.
>>
>>335779256
pls respond

cracks fine too
>>
File: 1370143985545.gif (126 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1370143985545.gif
126 KB, 720x480
>>335779871
Nice try, FBI. You can't get me in Brazil.
That being said, just put the name of the game in Pirate Bay and you get one from GOG that I downloaded
>>
>>335776187
The setting is very easy to change but it would speed up every single thing in the game so they would have to go through the code and change the timings/speeds for every single thing in the game. Still not too bad though.
>>
I heard the game thanks Anita in the credits.

I will not be buying this game.

Her agenda aside, thanking someone who literally contributed nothing to your project just so you can win beta boy brownie points is retardedly pathetic.

Including her agenda, I won't support anyone that supports her.
>>
File: 4566564.gif (146 KB, 300x375) Image search: [Google]
4566564.gif
146 KB, 300x375
>>335775467
>Are there 60fps pixel games?
>>
File: 1449343433908.jpg (40 KB, 680x848) Image search: [Google]
1449343433908.jpg
40 KB, 680x848
>cyberpunk themes
>>
I found the story to be complete shit.
>>
>>335782602
The "story" here is as present as it is in Souls games, except that Souls games actually have a world and some lore and HLD has none.
>>
>>335777687
>I'm doing computer engineering

Nigga then you should be able to wrap your mind around Delta t.

Having your engine measure time based on # of frames is only okay in a fighting game and even then, that's only for Internet play with prediction.

Resolution and scaling shouldn't be hard coded either. Linear scaling is a thing too.
>>
>>335779795

Because while star fox has choppy bullshit going on, the whole game is still being executed at 60 hertz. It's very noticable when real slowdown happens in it, same for other shooters like gradius III.

This indie shit game is 30 hertz. It's not as responsive as star fox.
>>
File: street fighter deep zoning.webm (2 MB, 620x320) Image search: [Google]
street fighter deep zoning.webm
2 MB, 620x320
>>335775467

Yes, anon, almost every single game ever released, up until maybe the PS2 generation, ran at 60 FPS. It was to match the refresh rate of televisions, because why wouldn't you?

Even atari 2600 games run at 60 FPS, you fucking retard.
>>
>>335780759
Do you actually have proof? Also is this the only thing you know about the game?
>>
>>335772771
>Why is no one talking about this game?
/v/ doesn't talk about good games
I mean look at this thread, it's 80% full of master baiters
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.