[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a few bucks on my Steam account. Which one, /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: gun.png (475 KB, 460x473) Image search: [Google]
gun.png
475 KB, 460x473
I have a few bucks on my Steam account.
Which one, /v/?
>>
>>335649753
Neither. Wait until One Way Heroics goes on sale for $.99 again
>>
File: 1415489579653.png (207 KB, 578x427) Image search: [Google]
1415489579653.png
207 KB, 578x427
I liked Nuclear Throne a lot.

Haven't gotten around to playing Gungeon, I've heard its good.
>>
Throne

Gungeon has potential but falls flat on a lot of aspects, NT is consistently great from start to end
>>
EtG has way too many questionable design decisions (enemy health scaling, nonlinear character progression, homogeneous starting characters, inherent inaccuracy in all weapons, etc.) to be worth recommending at the moment.
>>
>>335649846
Good call.
OWH is good and the DLC is twice the price of it, but that's because in Japan OWH was free and you only paid for the DLC.
Wait till its on sale again for dirt cheap and try it out, then decide if you want the DLC.
>>
Nuclear Throne is fun!
Gungeon is
fun!
>>
>>335649753
It depends on what you want out of it.

If you want something more like Binding of Isaac, EtG.

If you want something that feels like a roguelike Hotline Miami, Nuclear Throne.
>>
>>335649753

Throne for real. Gungeon is better on a technical level in every way, but Throne is much faster and less stilted. If you like order, but no depth, go gungeon, if you want to be good at something despite it's many many flaws, go Throne. Play Steroids. Have a romp.
>>
>>335650785
The problem is, I feel like the devs are going to be too bullheaded to change the most egregious problems.

Health scaling in a game where your starter may be the best thing you have as far as halfway through it is terrible. Add on that a LOT of guns are underpowered, and don't even have niches that justify that like the T-Shirt Cannon's knockback being great in rooms with pits.

And although it does make sense for longevity's sake I'd rather the Master Rounds give me a damage boost rather than having to hope I find a statue in the first three floors that does that.
>>
The scaling of ETG is keeping me from getting it.

I heard the scaling is completely wonky and off the charts retarded.
>>
>>335649753
I think I prefer Nuclear Throne because its faster. Most guns kill every enemy in one or two hits. Even a lot of the bosses go down in less than 15 seconds.

Enter the Gungeon is far and away the better game if you have any friends to play co-op with. It doesn't really feel balanced for one person because all the enemies take forever and a day to kill unless you have one of the 3-4 super overpowered guns. In a way its more challenging because you have to actually deal with the attacks enemies are throwing your way instead of killing everything before it gets a chance to act. But a lot of the weapons are boring and similar and it never gets any better because you only have enough keys to open 1/6th of the chests you get every game.
>>
>>335649846

Mah nigga.

One Way Heroics is the fucking shit. COMPARED TO GUNGEON, IT'S WAY MORE BEATABLE AND FUN.

Still, if you're choosing explicitly between Gungeon and Throne, pick Throne.

You actually feel more powerful as you progress in Throne, whereas Gungeon is 85% "Did you use your fucking blanks yet? HERE COMES SOMETHING UNAVOIDABLE! USE YOUR BLANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" / "DID YOU GET A SHIT BOSS ON FLOORS 3 OR 4? FUCK YOU, GAME OVER!"

That said, I paid $2.50 on Nuuvem for Gungeon, Not out much, and I'll just cheat if I want to see the endings.Too many anti-player factors compared to better (Nuclear Throne, Spelunky, Isaac - even if Edmund is a tremendous faggot and nerfs everything at the drop of a hat and charges too much for co-op babies) roguelites.
>>
>>335649753
Nuclear Throne all the way. The game is much faster paced and the gameplay design makes more sense than EtG.

Now that I played EtG for a while, I've gone back to Nuclear Throne because it's just more fun.
>>
>>335651715
It happens too fast and completely disregards the fact that RNG is God in a game like that. Sure, skill can carry you through but the longer you spend on a boss/any room is more time for you to make a mistake.

Enemies start taking extra bullets from your starter as early as the next floor and it gets worse the further in you get.

On top of that, you only have five floors excluding the bonus ones and the sixth that you have to beat the game and kill all four characters' past to unlock. That shit ramps up extremely quickly.

The only thing you're guaranteed is that if you don't get a gun from the First Floor because you had shit luck and didn't get a key drop, the shop didn't have a key or a decent purchasable one, and you opened the chest with the passive item, the boss WILL drop a gun if you beat them. Absolutely everything else is up for grabs.
>>
>>335651678
>nd although it does make sense for longevity's sake I'd rather the Master Rounds give me a damage boost rather than having to hope I find a statue in the first three floors that does that.
A thousand times, this. It's fucking retarded that base damage never reliably increases outside of some tremendous sacrifice or another, barring certain rare, possibly inaccessible pick-ups. Especialyl since ammo scarcity heavily encourages sticking with your starter gun. Fuck the Rat, for that matter.
>>
>>335651832
I don't understand why he would bother nerfing anything in Issac.
First of all its a singleplayer game, but really all the expansions just add more and more outrageously overpowered items. I can't go a single run where I don't have flight, practical invincibility, and (almost) enough damage to insta-kill any boss except the hush.
>>
>>335651832
Funny thing is, I got OWH+ and EtG pretty much at the same time along with Afterbirth.

OWH+ is the game I play the least overall, but I spend more time in it when I do. After one or two runs of EtG I get fed up and stop, Afterbirth I usually commit to a goal and stop regardless of results or ragequit when using the Lost. OWH+ can uber fuck you on the first hundred KMs but it's so quickly over you just go back and reroll a world to go through.
>>
>>335649753
Gungeon requires a lot of time and effort to be put into it. It's like Isaac, where you unlock items the more you play.

Unlike Isaac, the game is basically unplayable until you've unlocked a TON of items. You have to buy the health upgrade items, the damage upgrade items, guns which aren't garbage, the works.

I think it's more fun than NT, though.
>>
>>335652291

I have TERRIBLE RNG encoded in my DNA, as such, If I don't see new content within 50 hours...I'm not surprised.

That said, it's always chocolate milk and something else that saves the day for my paltry runs....

>IT'S A SINGLEPLAYER GAME

>Nerfs to "abusable combinations" in Gungeon and Isaac

These devs are fucking gay
>>
>>335652484

>It's like Isaac, where you unlock items the more you play.

Isaac is beatable vanilla far more than Gungeon is vanilla.

Items don't even guarantee your success in Gungeon, since as some anons said - many fucking suck and are downgrades. A shame. I find that Flash Gordon pistol like all the time, and it just looks cool, but is garbage.DON'T GIVE WEAKER WEAPONS THAN MY FUCKING STARTER LIMITED AMMO

I guess that's why Gungeon chests are key-locked on the first floor. Artificial Arduousness?
>>
>>335652856
>Isaac is beatable vanilla far more than Gungeon is vanilla.
Yeah, I said that.
>>
>>335652542
As far as I know from looking shit up, Isaac has the most fair combinations out there and Afterbirth legit added some to even existing items, let alone the new ones. It sucks that Afterbirth+ is also something we'll have to pay for but it'll probably add a few more interesting items to find synergy with, completely ignoring the modding/room editor being added.

I mean, I do my fair share of restarts, but every now and then you get a Cellar XL with Pyromaniac and Curse of the Tower being right next to each other, room-wise. I saved the seed if anyone wants it.

If anything my problem is that passives don't do a whole lot to augment how you play the game in EtG. You get a few like the hilarious Armor of Thorns that increases dodge-roll damage or the Metronome, or even just the bullets that add fire damage or something, but almost too many passives and some actives are not worth it in the slightest.

When some of the best passive pickups in the game JUST give you an extra two hits, that testifies to how shit most of them are.
>>
>>335652542
That's too bad man. Issac really isn't good for that since it seems like the more you unlock the worse items you end up finding.

I don't know what they changed in gungeon but that owl always costs 100+ shells and a bunch of luck/cash to make it good in the first place. You deserve the reward of blowing up the whole room with you gimmicky build.
Part of why I pirate is because you don't automatically get fun ruining updates for single player games.

>>335652856
That gun would probably be alright if piercing damage wasn't so retarded. It's like you do less than half damage to the guys behind the first target. The trident is the same gun with tons more damage but neither are really that good for clearing out a cluster of dudes.
>>
To add, another problem I have with EtG is the idea that you have to buy items to unlock them and you don't even know if they're actually good items outside of hearsay here and there. In Isaac almost all of them are unlocked through playing the game alone.

When I have 10 Hegemony credits and go look at some of the shit available, I don't even know if I want it or not. It makes me clam up and choose to try and buy it all rather than just buy on impulse.

For that matter there's too much shit to buy in general. I have three vendors vying for my interest and I have no idea what any of the guns/items they're offering even do. At least most of Isaac's items are straightforward for that and you look up the details, too many of EtG's passives require you to look them up even after reading their entry in the Ammonomicon.
>>
>>335653121
Character progression in EtG is fucked. Passives are incredibly mediocre or outright worthless save a handful of them, as are most guns. Unless you get incredibly lucky, you won't be able to keep up with the game's retarded health scaling. Synergies are few and far between, despite that being the main draw of the loot system it uses. Guns do not interact with one another, even though they make for the bulk of your pick-ups. You're actively discouraged from using them in most scenarios thanks to ammo restrictions.
>>
>>335651243
Fuck, I like Hotline Miami and Isaac so fucking much.

>>335651501
Define order.
>>
>>335654167

Well, the black hole gun did, but BOY THEY NERFED THAT STRAIGHT UP 1 IN 942938749274378923489723867932589325879352769835807921547091523798632587693256789352698 CHANCE I FIND THAT WITH A GUN IT WORKED WITH!
>>
File: 1452138864270.png (194 KB, 412x370) Image search: [Google]
1452138864270.png
194 KB, 412x370
throne is infinitely better in terms of pretty much everything (gameplay, replayability, soundtrack, controls, even the small amount of lore it has is relatively interesting). i remember being so hyped for gungeon, thinking it'd be fun and fast-paced like throne with the item varienty of the binding of isaac, but it ended up just being slow and full of grind like isaac, plus a plethora of "HAHA GUNS LOL" jokes that far overstayed their welcome

my one gripe with throne (and in fairness, it's a huge issue) is that it's always going to be in a buggy, unfinished state because the devs rushed for an early release, and now that the game's out they just don't care about it anymore
>>
Haven't played Nuclear Throne, but Gungeon is a pretty crappy experience overall, mostly in part from the things mentioned so far in the thread. As a console peasant, I only just got the opportunity to play Risk of Rain, and that is so much better in every respect. I know EtG is top down bullet hell, and RoR is sidescrolling shooter, so they aren't entirely the same, but RoR does the roguelike aspect properly in comparison. Like, currency is actually possible to accrue, there are things it can be spent on, and it's possible to find a good deal of items to help even the odds against the increasing difficulty. Not to mention, it has more than 4 characters, all of which are actually unique in a meaningful way.
>>
>>335654167
Well on top of that they have that utterly pointless rat that's there to steal items you don't pick up if they're not guns simply because it's use it or lose it with actives or passives you're iffy on grabbing.

Too much of EtG's game design actively gets in the way of actually having fun in the long run, which is why I think threads devoted to it died off quickly.
>>
File: 1459994191590.gif (1 MB, 406x449) Image search: [Google]
1459994191590.gif
1 MB, 406x449
>>335649846
First post best post, as usual.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is also pretty good.
>>
>Call Gungeon out on its obvious flaws.
>IF YOU MADE THE GAME ANY EASIER, IT WOULDN'T BE GUNGEON FUCK YOU CASUALS!!!!!

>The same fags cry about Treadnought Which I have minimal issues with, although I can't beat the floor afterward due to noguns usually
>>
>>335655783
This OP. We need more people in our RoR threads
>>
Don't get Gungeon, OP.

I'm waiting on a refund for it, but I'm sure they'll screw me over on it because "27 hours playtime," despite that being a pretty low number for a roguelike.

Everything >>335650785 said is the gospel truth. Additionally, the vast majority of weapons in it just aren't fun to use, which is possibly the biggest flaw possible.

Throne is far from perfect, and I'm hesitant to ever recommend it, but it is the better of the two by a large margin.
>>
>>335657178
Treadnaught is a hard but fair boss. Kill Pillars is bulltshit though
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.