[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you all think of speedrunning?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5
File: speed.png (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
speed.png
26 KB, 300x300
What do you all think of speedrunning?
>>
If you're gonna waste your time on videogames might as well do it well, I guess

although there's undoubtedly a lot of autism involved in practicing cpu cycle perfect jumps and attacks
>>
Quite possibly the worst time vs reward ratio in the entire fucking world.
>>
>>335648674
not to mention that speedrunners and the community are both genuinely autistic
>>
BUT FIRST
>>
It's entertaining, but mostly because of the salt from anti-speedrunfags.

Otherwise, it's fun to see games beaten in less time than most tutorial levels take.
>>
I'm partial.
I have a world record in a game nobody cares about.

http://www.speedrun.com/djffny
>>
>>335648457
where is the difference between speedrunning and just replaying a game you enjoy a bunch and trying to get better/more impressive at it?

is there one?
>>
>>335648805
nice, I have a record in a speedway in Spyro 2

http://www.speedrun.com/spyro2/Metro_Speedway
>>
>>335648805
>game no one cares about
I still play this fucking game
>>
>>335648830
Speedrunning is all about getting '''''World Records''''' so you can feel proud of yourself since you have nothing else to feel proud of
>>
File: PrtScr capture_42 (2).png (346 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
PrtScr capture_42 (2).png
346 KB, 1280x720
I do it for fun sometimes
>>
Some of them are fun to watch, but the rpg rng manipulation shit can get the fuck out, I don't want to see you rolling dice to see if you're lucky enough for a world record

one of the more entertaining ones I've seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV4HqXi9SUc
>>
>>335648830
The level of autism.
Speed runner do it to show off
Replayers do it to enjoy the game again
>>
>>335648928
I meant a game nobody cares about speedrunning
Who honestly speedruns fighting games?
>>
I
>>
>>335648805
>12 days ago
>On any% easy
>Moderated by himself
No thanks
>>
Pure unadulterated autism

Can be fun to watch if the runner isn't a total sperg
>>
>>
>>335649032
That is true
>>
It's like posting your accomplishments in minecraft. Who gives a flying fuck?
>>
>>335648457
I think it's fun. Aiming for a low time is a great way to get more out of a good game. I've also watched a couple speedruns for my favourite games and it's interesting to learn new tricks and see what sort of skill is required to play a game at the highest level.
>>
THAT
>>
My mind tends to wander thinking about it.
>>
JUMP
>>
File: 1419028934757.jpg (179 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1419028934757.jpg
179 KB, 800x800
>>335648457
The idea of it is ok. The people that actually do this kind of shit religiously are fucking autistic.
>>
>>335648947
>Speedrunning is all about getting '''''World Records'''''
it's actually not, most speedrunners don't have world records and don't strive toward achieving them.
>>
>>335648986
>wanting to go slower
what about something like diehard ff4 then
>>
>>335648674
>Quite possibly the worst time vs reward ratio in the entire fucking world.
It's more personally rewarding than an MMO, that's for sure.

I say this as someone who has invested a considerable amount of time into both over the years.
>>
I think it was autistic

But then I created my own speedrun metagame in POE which made it more fun.

I know it's not true speedrun but whatever
>>
>>335648830
Speedrunning is just specifically about beating the game as fast as possible, possibly under a certain set of conditions depending on the type (like 100% runs, glitchless runs, etc)

Even if you're shit at it, as long as you set out to finish the game quickly and do it all in one go, you could call it a speedrun.
>>
>>335648947
>if you're trying to be good, you're trying to be the best in the world
nah
>>
>>335648457

Autism.
>>
File: 1461727417653.png (2 MB, 1081x1219) Image search: [Google]
1461727417653.png
2 MB, 1081x1219
>>335648457
ALL THE CATAGORIES ARE ARBITRARY
>>
>>335650060

I made $2300 last year from MMOs. Not to mention I'm actually enjoying myself.
>>
>>335650478
>I made $2300 last year from MMOs. Not to mention I'm actually enjoying myself.
That's great man. I had way more fun with speedrunning than I've ever had with any mmo. Whatever floats your boat.

Making money is the exception in both communities.
>>
Time Trials > Speedruns
High Scores > Speedruns

Speedruns mean jack shit since the timer isn't official and is prone to human error.
>>
I wonder how the former speedrunners feel about the time they spent on this. Even Trihex has quit, wonder how SGDQ will go, with most big name and/or charismatic people gone.
>>
>>335650602
>Speedruns mean jack shit since the timer isn't official and is prone to human error.
Lots of speedruns use in game time. When human error is a meaningful factor, runs are retimed to the frame.
>>
>>335648724
This. I don't mind the concept of speedrunning but both the runners and the community are terrifying.
>>
Japanese DQ speedruns are great to watch.
Those fuckers can beat DQ1 in 2 hours IIRC
>>
>>335648457
adding more challenge, often to a game with little challenge. It's certainly understandable why people get into it. If I had the time, I'd probably do some myself.
>>
You either die a Speedrunner or live long enough to see yourself become Let's Player.
>>
slayer whens monhun
>>
I love to watch a speedrun, but there's a very fine (admittedly arbitrary) line for the level of breaking the game I can mentally accept.

Take Dark Souls for example: Backstepping through the boulders in Sen's that's fine, but quit/loading to skip the catacombs is a no go.
>>
>>335651165
DS2 speedruns are pretty much unwatchable to me because of the binocular fuckery.
>>
>>335651165
Dark Souls speedruns suck ass anyway. The only reason people watch them is because it's a popular game.
>>
File: anime dreaming of WR.jpg (97 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
anime dreaming of WR.jpg
97 KB, 1024x576
Speedrunning is cool as long as it's the quickest possible way to beat the game. Anything like 100% is a fucking meme category.
>>
>>335648830
Speedrunning usually involves convoluted methods, some game-breaking even to reach the end faster, unlike other popular "challenge runs" such as no-damage (or high scoring where available), where it's basically playing more... elegantly, for lack of a better word, and arguably a more demanding level of execution and skill.
>>
>>335651259
You do realize that was only the launch Any% right? Ever since they patched it it's been its own separate category. This is like bitching about people running Kiln Glitch on 1.
>>
Nothing wrong with speedrunning, but it seems to be the worlds most powerful autism magnet.
>>
All you need to do is check what happened to Cosmo and realize that someone that autistic is now calling speed running autistic.

Let that sink in for a second
>>
I have two lap world records in Star Wars Racer but that's it, I have no urge to speedrun anything else ever.
>>
but who is the Lebron James of speedrunning?
>>
>>335651259
I don't get this complaint, I think that's at least as interesting as watching someone beat the game without going out of bounds and doing shit they're not supposed to. Both kinds of runs are interesting but glitchy as fuck runs are definitely more novel at least in my opinion.
>>
Speedrunning is degenerate
>>
>>335648986
>but the rpg rng manipulation shit can get the fuck out
I still find hilarious how the record for yugioh forbidden memories has over an hour on the second place
>>
>>335651395
anime no!
>>
>>335651518
I don't even know who to call the biggest speedrunners anymore. All of the old popular ones either disappeared or went crazy or just went chasing those twitchbux by going into total let's play territory.
>>
>>335651797
only reason for that is everybody was all uppity about the card duplication glitch

I don't see why a glitch in the game was kept from making a speedrun faster
>>
The problem is that a lot games are going to hit a wall soon. Like Super Mario Bros.

Nobody is going to beat the new any% WR unless some new glitch gets discovered which is unlikely.
>>
Watching the ins and outs of breaking a game or pushing a game to its absolute limits is always fun imo. Really don't get all these people generalizing an entire community, though. I must be pretty lucky following the right people, not to mention I pay attention to the video games more than anything else
>>
>>335648457
An act of degeneracy.
>>
>>335652039
when SMB gets to be frame perfect then everybody will just try to do that, it's still a bit away from it
>>
/ / / WARNING \ \ \

srg is HERE

>>>/vg/140211997

if you see ANYONE defending speedrunning as a legitimate hobby, you know who to blame

\ \ \ WARNING / / /
>>
>>335651448
>You do realize that was only the launch Any% right?
I did not realize that.
>>
>>335652390
Nobody on SRG actually speedruns though. The speedrunning community tends to distance itself from 4chan, with few exceptions.
>>
I have a degree of respect to those dedicated enough to do it well but it's so counterintuitive to how I play games that I can't begin to be arsed. I tend to play very slowly and methodically, I don't think I could even have fun with a speedrun.
>>
>>335648457
was interesting for a while but then it died off

realized i was mostly watching them for the runners rather than the runs themselves

sdgq was cool until the normalslime cocksuckers started going just so they could be on the stream

i miss the old small hotel gdq's
>>
>>335652390
everyone on srg hates speedrunning you retard

>>335652456
you are dumb
>>
>>335648457
it's absolute trash and sucks the joy out of gaming.
>>
>>335652673
That doesn't mean you can't run games, though. It's not as if speedrunners typically blow through a game the first time they play it.

In fact, routing can require slow and methodical play because you need to figure out the absolute optimal ways to get through an area, which can involve breaking it down into individual segments.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.