[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me what vanilla WoW did better than live.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 59
File: WoW-Comfort-Image-01.jpg (224 KB, 796x535) Image search: [Google]
WoW-Comfort-Image-01.jpg
224 KB, 796x535
Tell me what vanilla WoW did better than live.
>>
File: 1461477487260.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461477487260.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>335519395
It was an actual game and not some hollow Facebook game-wannabe that soaks up 20 gigs on a hard drive
>>
>>335519702
Current WoW is a game. It has nothing to do with Facebook.
>>
>>335519395
sea oh em em you in eye tee why
>>
>>335519395

Community, pvp, amount of time and effort you had to put in to get anywhere, leveling experience, more unique faction feel due to class being exclusive to certain alliance or Horde.

I'm not going to spoonfeed you more than that, look it up. There's plenty that already explain this
>>
>>335519395
community

gear progression (full blue gear? You now have better gear than 75% of the playerbase)

less handholding (still enough, but questhelper wasn't a literal integrated part of the game)

no flying mounts
>>
>>335519395
>Not leveling out of an area within 30 minutes of playing it
>Crafting actually felt like a useful alternative to buying shit
>Actually socializing instead of sitting in your garrison like a sperg
>Story-wise, you weren't all some "mythical hero of the world" that deserved a pat on the back every time you took a poop, just a bunch of lowly adventurers
>>
>>335519896
There's a shit load of PVP and large communities on live. It's your own fault if you don't socialize and participate in PVP.
>>
>>335519937
>Story-wise, you weren't all some "mythical hero of the world" that deserved a pat on the back every time you took a poop, just a bunch of lowly adventurers

I think this is what adds to an MMO. Being a lownub with everyone else instead of all being special snowflakes.
>>
>>335520050

Sure bud. Enjoy your cross realm shit
>>
File: 1459799165475.jpg (55 KB, 625x416) Image search: [Google]
1459799165475.jpg
55 KB, 625x416
>>335519873
>sitting in your garrison sending people on quests that are timed has nothing to do with Facebook
>selfie cams tied to twitter have nothing to do with Facebook
Ghostcrawler get better bait please. Don't you have a shitty collapsing community to pander to?
>>
>>335520240
>responding to it
All he will do is ask loaded questions while never accepting anybody else's viewpoint. This is the state of current /v/.
>>
well an easy one is no selfies
game was a lot less casual
no pandas
>>
>>335520240
Selfie cams are a screenshot toy. They're amusing. It's your fault that you can't enjoy things.

Garrisons are pretty boring, but if you bothered to play the game, you barely do anything in them. If you want to sit in your garrison all day, that's up to you.
>>
Blizzard didn't give a fuck about the community's opinion.
>>
>>335519395
Vanilla to basically end of BC was what you would consider a true MMORPG.
After that, it slowly went into a downward spiral or strange fuckery.
That's the difference.
I can elaborate, but it'll take a wall of text, ask me questions and I will tell you the wonders of old, I've been 'involved' with WoW since first open beta, just recently took a hiatus from the shit activision forced Blizzard to cook up.
>>
>>335520781
I've been playing WoW since 2005 and you're full of shit. It's still an MMORPG. It's a better game than it ever was by a long shot.

You can argue that cross realm bullshit destroyed server communities, but only if you were an antisocial fuck to begin with.
>>
>>335520240
>optional garbage

come back when you find an argument
>>
While I will admit WoW is shit now, I will never get Pandaren continue to get people's panties in a twist. They were canon in WC3, there was a questline in the Barrens, and back before BC, one of the staff members, Katricia, hinted about a Pandaren expansion: "Maybe they will be found in the beta or retail version of the game and maybe they will be granted a special place in an expansion. Just imagine how exciting it will be to find one!"
Also, they're better than gnomes and goblins. They pretty much ruined the aesthetic of the Horde by relying on gob tech.
>>
>>335520781
>expecting a serious discussion out of this
>>
>>335520150
>no argument
>"sure bud :)"
>>
>>335519395
immersion
>>
>>335520936
>Y-y-you're s-so full of s-shit!
>doesn't raise counterpoints

GG Blizzdrone
>>
>>335520450
This. This is why WoW is failing. To much of "if ya don't like it, DONT DO IT!!" herp durp.

It's the same fucking bullshit argument for flying mounts. But guess what, people will always look for the least path of resistance when it comes to gaming, to optimize their play time to get 'better' than the other dude in the game.
If garrisons require less brain power to get mats, etc people will just focus on that so they can focus on other aspects of the game.
The main issue is blizzard gave to much freedom, to much casual lazy panzy shit for people to do, and it got flooded with those types of people.
vanilla WoW wasn't the fucking american dream, it was the adventure of a life time, and if you couldn't converse with people or be willing to traverse into it's open dangerous world, then GTFO.
>>
Immersion.
>>
File: ahh yes... that's the spot~.png (324 KB, 535x437) Image search: [Google]
ahh yes... that's the spot~.png
324 KB, 535x437
It had dragons.
>>
>>335519395
Relationship between players
>>
>>335521256
Cata was dragons: the expansion
>>
>>335521189
You're not making any fucking sense.

Garrisons cut out a lot of the bullshit for grinding mats, but nobody that actually enjoyed playing the game sat in them. Again, its antisocial fuckwads that barely played the game that had complaints about them. When I'm online I'm always out in the world doing shit or doing dungeons.
>>
>>335520240
>ghostcrawler

ghostcrawler actually recognized that this game was fucked in the ass
>>
>>335521312

Which was the only redeeming part of it, yes.
>>
>>335521052
Garrisons are literally part of storyline and you get gimped if you ignore them later.
>>
>>335520936
no, no it's not.
Considering it went from a barrage of talents and skills to like 5-6 for each class shows this.
An MMO throws you into a world where you gotta pick yourself up from your boot straps and claw your way to the top, like in the real world.
WoW has SOME remnants of this, but barely any left.
>>
File: 1435726118135.jpg (2 KB, 125x118) Image search: [Google]
1435726118135.jpg
2 KB, 125x118
>>335519395
its not that vanilla was great

its just that live version became utter shit
>>
>>335521424
>barrage of talents and skills
You mean those talent trees that offered zero customization because everyone had already figured out the best spec for each build?

You mean all of those redundant skills that did exactly the same thing as other skills you already had?

MMORPGs evolve. You can't just keep adding and adding. Something has to be taken away for sake of simplicity.
>>
And people question why Blizzard is waiting until the end of August to release Legion (aside from the fact that in the beta it's clearly not finished). If it wad released now they would get endless shot because of the vanilla situation
>>
>>335521316
Garrisons cut out a lot of the bullshit for grinding
>people will always look for the least path of resistance when it comes to gaming, to optimize their play time to get 'better' than the other dude in the game.
antisocial fuckwads that barely played the game that had complaints about them
>The main issue is blizzard gave to much freedom, to much casual lazy panzy shit for people to do, and it got flooded with those types of people

You didnt read the comment did you?
>it was the adventure of a life time, and if you couldn't converse with people or be willing to traverse into it's open dangerous world, then GTFO.
>>
>>335519395
Promote a community.
>>
>>335521636
Legion is releasing in August because it's not done. If you watch some alpha streams you would know this. Nice bait though.
>>
>>335519395
The ability to bring people together and socialize. Thats all thats needed to be amazing. Many vanilla faggots mistakenly claim the game had better gameplay in any way. The only thing done better was systems that required socializing. Thats why that faggy shit FF MMO was popular for a while until the content dried up and all that was left was a slow as fuck global cooldown. Last i heard they released some patch that sucked and had little content or something stupid.

Thats all any real MMO (not some addict grinding on live) fan just wants a game that brings people together for better or for worse, not some queue bullshit like in live that encourages you to hate everyone you see.
>>
>>335521621
annnnd blizzard did it in the wrong way.
>>
File: 1180048961773.jpg (46 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1180048961773.jpg
46 KB, 500x376
>>335519395
>>
>>335521721
>vanilla
>better gameplay

That's objectively false, BC was such an improvement BECAUSE the mechanics in vanilla were such dogshit. As you said, it was the social aspect.
>>
>>335521662
I read your troll post. Blizzard didn't give people any more or less freedom than they have before. WoW has always been full of casual scum. Always. They just made certain content not a pain in the ass to do.
>>
>>335521704
I'm not baiting. If Legion happened to be finished and they released it next week, there would be backlash from people still angry about Nost. You'd need a cool down period regardless.
>>
>>335521721
FFXIV makes people socialize through novice network, world boss hunts, and FATEs unlike WoW where all of that doesn't exist or is irrelevant.
>>
File: Superman Father's Day.jpg (50 KB, 400x592) Image search: [Google]
Superman Father's Day.jpg
50 KB, 400x592
Vanilla WoW and "live" are the same thing, Vanilla's just the real thing's past.
>>
>>335519395
the whole MM part of an MMO
WoW is now a MSO
>>
>>335519395
Used slight inconvenience to massively inflate the amount of time it takes to experience content. Adding time spent looking for a group and then actually physically moving to the instance portal to the amount of time it takes to 'run' something significantly increases the amount of time it takes to run it, without making the process feel dragged out.

Just getting rid of the "you instantly port to the instance after getting LFG grouped" would massively increase the 'amount' of content in the next expansion pack, even if a bunch of that time is spent flying/riding to the instance. Plus it would increase engagement with the non-instanced parts of the world of World of Warcraft.
>>
>>335519395
For one thing I can pieces of desirable gear, which, if you obtained it, you would have felt incredibly accomplished. And if others saw you with that gear, they'd be jelly or impressed.

Now, individual pieces of gear mean nothing. Only ilvl matters.
>>
>Vanillas #1 selling point is the community, socializing, making online friends
>Couldn't give half a fuck about people online because they're probably shit players anyway and I'll never meet them

This 'community' made wow what it is today, the majority only have themselves to blame.
>>
>>335521501

/thread
>>
The game was harder back then, but for all of the wrong reasons.

Rag was not objectively difficult, the dude had 3 abilities (melee knockdown, ranged knockback, summon adds). He took so long to world first because raids in vanilla we terribly, horribly undergeared. A good percentage of the 40 players would have gear that generally was not good enough for Rag, and to make it worse the fire resist gear meant you were even less optimized than you were normally. So people had to beat their skulls against the boss until it hopefully went down, because they didn't have the stats to fight him on even terms.
>>
It was better at having subscribers.
>>
>>335519395
world pvp. got ruined in tbc with its flying. blizzard is trying to fix their mistake but fags keep complaining that they cant fly
>>
>>335521704
i don't think it will be 100% done even in august. smells just like WoD to me. any glimmer of hope i had just vanished the moment i saw they are reusing the retarded garrison crap
>>
>>335522970
Well look at what happened in Cata when you could fly from the start. They learned their lesson there and never did it again.

The requirement for flying now is kinda bullshit though. It should just be a money sink, not a "do 3/4 of all content this expansion first". No one complained about Cold-Weather Flying just bring gold
>>
>>335519395
Vanilla did a good job at pissing me off.
>>
>>335523119

I wish I could be as uninformed as you. I feel like you must practice a lot to achieve that level of disinformation.
>>
>>335522970
Stfu Joe.
>>
>>335521424
While I'm not that fond of the newer talent systems, the old one lost its touch really quickly. I mean it was great to put a point every few levels and try to experiment, but eventually you always got the same talents because some of them simply were not worth it. So, in the end everyone had the same specs, although one could argue that it's unavoidable.
>>
>>335523119
No game that has patches is ever 100% done at launch, this is a fact. I just want the stuff they planned for launch to be ready at launch
>>
Dungeons and the sense of adventure. The lack of dungeons with stories is what is killing WoW.
>>
>>335523369

Most dungeons in vanilla barely had a plot. Half of the ones in BC had no plot at all.
>>
>>335523369
"Sense of adventure" is entirely subjective. Dungeons have more story now than they have ever.

Is this really all you nostalgiafags have got?
>>
File: 220196_2014007314580_3175243_o.jpg (245 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
220196_2014007314580_3175243_o.jpg
245 KB, 1680x1050
>>335519395
it was a large consistent world to explore with other players to collaborate with.

accessibility kills charm/excitement. automated cross-server LFG and LFR that instantly teleports everyone with the correct spec to the start of the correct dungeon with all the dungeon quests handed out by an NPC standing right there sounds like a good thing, but it kills all sense of exploration and accomplishment. it makes the world feel too logical and computerized, rather than a real place.
>>
Everyone always says "There was so much more to do in BC!"

Well yeah, if you count spamming "HEROIC SHADOW LABS LF TANK THEN G2G" in /2 for about 4 hours as something to do.
>>
>>335519395
Higher quality community, there's alot of shit I can put up with when it comes to Live WoW but the community being a rotting corpse kills any desire to keep playing the game. Although that community was around for Vanilla - Mid Cata so it's not just restricted to Vanilla
>>
>>335523530
Maybe it's because I started in the era of Pong, but I can never see video games as anything more than video games
>>
>>335523482
>>335523525
I'm just comparing Blood Maw Slags to Sunken Temple or Blackrock Depths.

Dungeons are more important to the game than raids are.
>>
File: 1448253341877.png (105 KB, 221x248) Image search: [Google]
1448253341877.png
105 KB, 221x248
If Live is so much better than Vanilla why does it have less subscribers and why is it losing subscribers faster than Vanilla gained them?
>>
>>335519395
Go to WoW forums and find out why.

Literally no one is happy with the fucking game right now.
>>
>>335523576
Fuck that I hated Slabs, why would I ever go back after getting the key fragment?

Bot 4 lyfe
>>
>>335519702
As much as I think garrisons are shit, there's still a bunch of other shit for you to do out in the game world. So go do it.
>>
>>335523662
>Dungeons are more important to the game than raids are.
No they're not. They have always been vehicles for EXP and loot to be able to start raiding.

However Blizzard does agree that dungeons need to have more importance which is why in Legion they are reintroducing Mythic and challenge modes 5-man dungeons, as well as the new Mythic+ dungeon setting.
>>
>>335523576
The original LFG function was very simple and effective, it wasn't a que up and join random group, it was more like the LFM you see now days.
It was quickly changed over to the auto one tho unfortunately.
>>
>>335523716
>A fresh new take on the MMO genre
>vs the same game literally more then a decade later

I'm gonna let you figure that one out on your own
>>
>>335523576
>wanting to pug extremely difficult content with little to pay loot payoff

Anon, next time you browse the wikis to come off as an old fag, keep in mind that TBC heroics and WOTLK+ heroics were very different. With enough stupid posts and corrections you might be able to pass off some authentic shitposting.
>>
>>335523716
If Counter-Strike is so much better than CS:GO how come more people play CS:GO?
>>
How much does being a Blizzard shill pay?
>>
Here's the thing. In theory, there's nothing stopping the players from socializing like they did in the old days.

They just don't want to.
>>
>>335519395
Vanilla was nothing but a big time sink

>Weaponskill level grind for different weapons or else you're going to miss all your attacks
>Have to buy abilities with gold
>Have to pause between pulls to eat/drink because HP/Mana recovered at a snails pace
>Huge EXP curve at the later levels
>First mount obtained at level 40 and required a gold grind
>Some raids required resistance gear to progress and that was a huge grind in itself

Some people believe that all these things add to the feel and experience of the game, but everyone can agree that they were all timesinks designed on purpose.to squeeze as much playtime and subscription money out of people.
>>
File: crabman shock and horror.jpg (23 KB, 298x340) Image search: [Google]
crabman shock and horror.jpg
23 KB, 298x340
>>335523576
>pugging Heroic Shadow Labs
>>
>>335519937
To be fair, this was an issue no matter what you do. With all the shit you did in Vanilla WoW alone, it was logically only a matter of time before you started moving heads.
>>
>>335523907
They never did want to back then either.
>>
World PvP

http://worldpvpsucks.ytmnd.com/
>>
>>335523907
You have to pretty much force nerds to socialize.
>>
>>335523839
I just don't think raids are worth the resources Blizzard puts into them when we could get five dungeons for one HFC.
>>
>>335523920
Obviously, difference between now and then is that there are people to socialize with while leveling up
>>
>>335523893
>Popular means bettar XD XD
Kill yourself
>>
Vanilla forums for your server
>shit talking opposite factions
>pvpers arranging WSG matches for pride and shitposting rights
>people discussing and joking with their community
>small amounts of guild recruitment

Live forums for your server
>selling runs
>LF members for guild
>selling runs
>LF members for guild
>selling runs
>LF members for guild
>>
Vanilla garnered a feeling of place in a world the player didn't know. Gameplay never mattered, but the differences in classes, race, and faction did since it made you feel like you actually had a "Role".
>>
>>335523960
Hell even in Wrath, aka "you fight against Arthas the whole expansion only for Tirion to killsteal at the last second", you are acknowledged for being important. Right at the start the recruitment officer in Boring Tundra let's you skip the line because of your escapades in Outland
>>
>>335523867
>What are Dota2 and CS:GO
>>
>>335519395
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MNFWhCw8dg
>>
>>335524109
>Selling runs
nothing pisses me off more.
>>
>>335524082
You can still socialize with people while leveling in-game, but it's not as mandatory now.
>>
>>335524098
That's not at all the point and you can apply the same thing to older versions of WoW.
>>
File: 1419028823626.jpg (1 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
1419028823626.jpg
1 MB, 3072x2304
you had to have been there

the world was new, people didn't know what the fuck to do, and everybody was leveling for the first time and getting lost or making the historic darn -> goldshire run

dungeons weren't hard, but you had to think about what to pull and be somewhat careful

murlocs and gnolls were the most dangerous non-human creatures

certain classes had one viable spec (lol pounce as a 31pt talent), but they all had singularly unique buffs and contributions to bring to a raid
>>
>>335523876
Or maybe I was talking about trying to attune my alt to Hyjal when no one in my guild had a tank at the time?

But no you are right because DAMN THE SHEER FUCKING THOUGHT of someone that played BC when it was current that didn't enjoy literally every single aspect about it all the time right fucko?
>>
>>335521316

Why would I grind mats when I can get 4000g by clicking a button?
>>
>>335523620
i'm not saying i actually though it was a real place, it's just that charm and immersion are a thing. MMOs are shitty games by nature, so if the charm and immersion is snuffed out then whats left?
>>
>>335524154
>two Free to Play games
>vs something you pay hundreds of dollars to keep playing

And again, gonna let you fill in these blanks
>>
>>335524326
The actual game play

The thrill of being stronger and defeating other players in pvp
>>
>>335524252
>heroic shadow lab
>attunement to hyjal

Keep reading those wikis.
>>
>>335524180
You can but you don't have to, You should be forced to socialize in a MMO
>>
>>335524248
>you had to have been there
I was there. Stop saying this stupid shit. It's not an argument.

>the world was new
It's new to all new players.
>>
>>335519395
In short it actually felt like a multiplayer game. A lot of quests were just fucking brutal and encouraged you to group up with whoever was in the area. And that's before the world PvP and getting people together for a dungeon.
People were naturally brought together and forging friendships through adversity because the game itself naturally made it that way.
>>
>>335524475
not him but
>the world was new
means NOBODY knew the game, there were no guides or wowhead or any information besides what blizzard officially put out
>>
>>335523907

This. Every time I always ask /v/ "if you don't like the lack of socialization in modern wow, why don't you start it yourself. But everyone who still plays simply says that they don't want to.

WoW didn't make the community antisocial, it always was, they were just forced to talk to people to get anything done.
>>
>>335524475
>It's new to all new players.

of course it was, and everybody was new

you obviously like being deliberately obtuse to try and prove some kind of point though. have fun with that.
>>
>>335524167
>Made over 150,000 gold selling runs with my guild all throughout Vanilla and BC
>Could have sold my account for god knows how much scrub-money
>It's now worth maybe two months of subscription time in retail

Only shitters complained about selling runs anyway.
>>
>>335519395

Talents, challenge, player interaction, PVP, leveling
>>
>>335523773
>>335519702
Anon all he can do is ape things others have said, he can't form any real opinions about why Vanilla was better than current WoW.

I doubt he could even come up with 10 things vanilla WoW was doing that is no longer done in modern WoW.
>>
>>335524402
>What is Tempest Keep clear
>what is needing the fucking Key to get into Tempest Keep to clear it

I'm starting to think you are reading wiki's here wrong anon.

I'd post that Attunement chart but I know it's literally the first google search when you type in "BC Attunement" so you would probably accuse me of just looking that up right
>>
>>335521092
>panderans
>Canon in WC3
No. They were an April Fool's Day joke that went way too god damn far.
>>
>>335524693
>our guild single handedly ran the AH dry of flask and potion mats prepping for Sunwell and our T6 runs
>start selling BT and Hyjal loot for gold, herbs, potions and flasks
>got hate messages from people complaining about all the herbalists now taking their previously uncontested herbs

Good times.
>>
>>335523920
>Game actually took some effort to participate in.

You act like any of it was a problem.
>>
>>335524345
I see, so because people don't find Live worth $13 a month anymore, it's better.
>>
>>335524406
Vanilla had forced socialization and here's how it went most of the time.

>"/2 LFG Deadmines I'm a Fire Mage"
>get invited
>"hello"
>say nothing for entire dungeon unless something needed to be polymorphed or food needs to be made
>say gg or thanks for the group at the end
Or
>"I need help with this group quest"
>get invited by someone
>same deal as above
>>
File: 1439832699620s.jpg (2 KB, 109x125) Image search: [Google]
1439832699620s.jpg
2 KB, 109x125
>>335520936
>It's a better game than it ever was by a long shot
>I've been playing WoW since 2005
>>
>>335524383
Sure. I love 45 minute arenas where I always have at least 1 debuff on me at all times, plus a slow, where it is literally just an attempt to nuke someone down before the healer can 100% him in one cast. Feels great.
>>
>>335524581
That gas nothing to do with the game and everything to do with the time we lived in. In 2005 we didn't have guides for everything immediately, and it was purely due to the Internet being more primitive.

If WoW Vanilla was released today then by tomorrow WoWwiki would be up, entire pages would be filled, YT guides would be made, the works
>>
File: 1439832699620ss.jpg (3 KB, 109x125) Image search: [Google]
1439832699620ss.jpg
3 KB, 109x125
>>335521621
>those talent trees that offered zero customization because everyone had already figured out the best spec for each build?
>>
>>335525019
>I've never played vanilla: the post
>>
>>335524861
Chen Stormstrout is one of the original champions of Orgrimmar
>>
It was fun.
>>
>>335525109
You don't actually play arena do you
>>
>>335525169
that's how it literally was on nostalrius and on retail WoW.
>>
>>335525019
I don't know what server you were on but on Jubei'thos there was constant discussion in the groups that I was in for the large majority of Vanilla and BC, The groups started to get silent when cross-server stuff came into play
>>
>>335524406
You can't force people to do anything.
>>
File: 1439832699620sss.jpg (3 KB, 109x125) Image search: [Google]
1439832699620sss.jpg
3 KB, 109x125
>>335523525
>Dungeons have more story now than they have ever
>>
>>335525204
Not anymore. After my third draw in a row due to the time limit expiring I said fuck it.
>>
>>335525160
>I was in a shit guild that let my totally awesome int druid cat build into raids :^)
>>
>>335519395
None. The bosses in Vanilla are piss easy.

I hope Blizzard brings back legacy servers, I really do. Make the babies pay 15 bucks a month, keep up with the current releases, AND tell them they have to beat all Mythic content before they can go back to their hugbox.
>>
>>335525236
>nostalrius

yes

>retail WoW

lol
>>
>>335525273
discussion of what? small talk? same shit happens on retail now.
>>
File: 1433797694221.jpg (437 KB, 850x638) Image search: [Google]
1433797694221.jpg
437 KB, 850x638
>>335525236

>Nostalrius was accurate to the real thing

Yeah I remember Mind Flay not working at all in Vanilla
>>
>>335525292
If they want to get certain tasks done then yes you can force people to do stuff
>>
>>335525325
maybe he means more story per pixel on average?
Which, while true, is skewed due to the dungeons taking less time than your average dump.
>>
>>335519395
Dungeons. Social interaction. Its grind was more entertaining than modern grind. It had cookie cutter but actually had less and so class specializations weren't as rigid.
>>
>>335519901
>less handholding
>implying raiding in vanilla wasn't handholding baby shit compared to now
>>
>>335525405
Most people I know just chose to not raid because it wasn't worth the hassle
>>
>>335525398
Charge didn't work either.
>>
File: 1461427477214.png (922 KB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
1461427477214.png
922 KB, 1200x1000
>>335523920
>First mount obtained at level 40 and required a gold grind
>gold grind
>he didn't pick mining
>>
>>335525368
I was on Hellscream and Tichondrius back in Vanilla which were both full population realms and that's how it was. No one says shit to each other unless it's relevant to instance progression unless there were friends in the group.
>>
>>335519702
>t. someone who hasn't played modern wow and just parrots shit he has heard on the internet
>>
>>335525373
The instance, questions about the game as a whole, their experiences leveling up, discussion about rotations and such. Oh and the constant shit talking when people fail to CC properly

>same shit happens on retail now.
I wouldn't know. But when I was playing in Cata the groups were completely silent for entire runs, other than small comments about the quality of tanking / healing
>>
>>335519937
>>Story-wise, you weren't all some "mythical hero of the world" that deserved a pat on the back every time you took a poop, just a bunch of lowly adventurers
Yrel and Durotan defeated Blackhand in the cutscene, not you. You weren't even much of a help. Thrall beat Garrosh, not you. You're only a commander in WoD, but all the lore figures are the ones who really did what needed to be done. Do you think we called Arche? No, it was Khadgar, Yrel, and Grommash. We only helped them as an army commander.
>>
They both have their own flaws, but the biggest issue I have with current WoW is that they keep rehashing shit.

Cataclysm was just redone Azeroth
Draenor was just BC again
Legion will just be BC again... again

Why? MoP was actually pretty good, though.
>>
Anyone else just not really raid at all? I've played since launch but never really carried on playing every time I maxed out my level. Feel like i have missed out
>>
people making threads to vigorously defend neo-WoW is always the most hilariously retarded shit
>>
>>335525367
You seem awfully flustered at the thought that people aren't impressed by your assuredly 9 month late Mythic Archimonde kill.
>>
>>335525642
>The instance, questions about the game as a whole, their experiences leveling up, discussion about rotations and such. Oh and the constant shit talking when people fail to CC properly

reminds me of low level dungeons in ff14
>>
waste time
have community
fun (not balanced) pvp
reward effort in pvp/pve/leveling/gold
unique factions/class identity/role identity
>>
>>335525642
Don't worry. That doesnt change at all. You can literally make a mythic dungeon group and once it's formed only the NPCs will actually say anything.
>>
>>335525743
>MoP was actually pretty good
This. Loved the Jade Forest questlines. When we're ordered to shoot down the surrendering orcs and the sha outbreak after it? Beat out every scene in WoD imo
>>
>>335525643
>You're only a commander in WoD
And in legion you become one of the most influential <class> overnight.
>>
>>335519395
It triggers nostalgia better than anything I've ever seen before.
>>
Vanilla WoW
>No Guides to Anything.
>Good players worked together.
>Best players kept their builds secret.
>Players actually communicated.
>World PvP actually happened.
>Hilarious bugs, gltiches, and secrets.
>Legendaries were actually legendary.
>40 people in a TS or Vent was always a hilarious shit show.
>No Gear Score.
>No welfare epics.

Current WoW
>"Don't join the group if you havent done the dungeon/read a guide on it."
>Everyone Pugs everything.
>Everyone is the same build because "its da optimal build according <insert internet celebrity>.
>Everyone just uses Dungeon Finder, Never speaks except for loot rolls,
>World PvP no longer exists except in objective areas.
>Discovering bugs/playing with them results in suspensions and bans.
>Free LEgendaries for EVERYONE
>Gear Score to lock you out of dungeons.
>"Aw, here's a free Epic for finding my sheep!"
>>
>>335525398
>>335525545
idk about mind flay, but charge worked perfectly on nostalrius
>>
>>335525897
But you're still not the heavweight lore figure.
>>
>>335525743
Draenor was not bc again, it was BtDP again
>>
players were required to cooperate with each other which basically guaranteed you would find friends to play with and build a community, in theory you can still do this but in practice it's infinitely harder because most of the playerbase isn't interested in doing it

leveling was treated as part of the experience instead of just a roadblock till the real game started, if you didn't enjoy leveling in vanilla you were playing the wrong game

professions forced players to go out in the world to gather materials and recipes, to be more specific if you needed to make a certain potion you might have to go gather gromsblood from desolace, a place you would normally have no real reason to go to otherwise while now you can get everything you need in your garrison

classes were unique and all brought something different to the table instead of just using just bringing the same spells with different colors

also the community was all in one group of content back then, not split apart across multiple expansions worth of content
>>
>>335525603
>loot
>barrens chat 24/7
>guild drama
>server culture stuff
>ony head buff OMG WHAT IS THIS WHOOOAAAA tytyttytytytyty ty

I mean you can choose to never recognize it, but there was a lot of chatter in vanilla
>>
>>335525743
cept the Klaxxi and Mogu, which while p.cool WAAAAAY overstayed their welcome. Which rolled over to Orcs, which in my opinion are too similar to Mogu (yeah I know Mogu use Draenei models).
tl;dr too much brown/dark green by the end
>>
>>335519395
has the remnants of nost fled to kronos? or did they all quit
>>
>>335525434
>Vanilla had less cookie cutter
>Class specializations weren't as rigid

Are you smoking crack? Crystal meth? If anything, vanilla was the absolute epitome of "cookie cutter".

If you were a Paladin, you had one job, that was buffing and healing. If you were a mage, you had one spec. If you were a priest, you could forget the notion of raiding as shadow.

TBC and Wrath were the absolute highpoints of this game, and the subscriptions prove it.
>>
File: 1425757047188.jpg (57 KB, 470x512) Image search: [Google]
1425757047188.jpg
57 KB, 470x512
Arwenz (Yes, I know, fuck off) from Bloodhoof (EU) and Androme from The Venture Co (EU) here.

Maybe one day someone I used to know will recognize me...
>>
>>335525848
Finish current content if you want to play the past. That's how Blizzard should handle it. Or they can pay an extra 60 dollar fee to unlock vanilla legacy servers if they don't want to earn it and gain a SUPER EPIC mount and title ", the Cry Baby."
>>
>>335524160
>Flying mounts are bad meme
I'm so sorry I don't like getting knocked off my fucking mount when I'm just trying to get to point A to point B
>His vanilla rant is primarily how the game was an insane grind
That isn't fun. It keeps your occupied but grinding for months is not fun.
>Getting ganked by 60s while your trying to level was fun
no it isn't. And if anything TBC had specific area's people could PvP hellfire towers ring a bell?

I agree with his raiding comments the game is to centered around that shit and I love raiding but I really don't miss the massive grind. I wouldn't have minded it if it were cut a little shorter then months.
>>
>>335519395
People say they miss the social interaction but that's long gone now not entirely because of the game today, but because the game is nearly 12 fucking years old and has been fully thought out already.

There's no need to ask about rotations, questions about the instance, experiences leveling up, or the game as a whole since everything is can be explained by in-game prompts, a quick google search, or the millions of addons the game has now.
>>
Everything was a means to end. Every part of the game was a way to get gear so you could PVP or PVE.

In retail WoW everything is just rewarded with pointless shit like toys and stuff. So there isn't anything worth doing.
>>
>>335525896
Only problem I had with that was it is confirmed to be roughly 1 hour shorter for Alliance to beat Jade Forest
>Blizz made Realm First [Class] apply to both factions
>Biased toward Alliance
Roughly 90% of the realm first Level 90 achievements were "earned" by Allies.
I missed mine by 30 mins. So fucking cheated.
>>
>>335525953
In WoD you generally only got an epic, besides from grinding to upgrade in Tanaan, by completing the entire storyline of a zone.
>>
File: 1461262776739.jpg (272 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1461262776739.jpg
272 KB, 560x560
>wow has been shit for longer than it was good
>>
>>335526094
>If you were a Paladin, you had one job, that was buffing and healing. If you were a mage, you had one spec. If you were a priest, you could forget the notion of raiding as shadow.
You have literallly zero fucking clue on what you're talking about. Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>335525434
I dont think you know what cookie cutter means.
I fucking hate current day wow, but it's less cookie cutter than vanilla was. You were pigeonholed into EVERYTHING in vanilla.

It's boring, and easy, and panders to normies and faggots that want instant gratification, but if vanilla had the open ended class capabilities of today's WoW it would have been the GOAT
>>
>>335526263

not hard to beat a time that never existed
>>
>>335524693
Selling runs is like selling drugs to an addict killing themselves its super scummy to do because you aren't helping the person only exploiting them and making them worst.

In WoWs case the faggot will never learn and have his gear but have nothing in terms of skill.
>>
>>335526024
>if you didn't enjoy leveling in vanilla you were playing the wrong game

No fuck you, it was incredibly tedious, sometimes unbearable depending on your class spec.
>>
supershaman from vanilla Greymane US. witness me bros
>>
>>335526052
Mainly because the game was new and WoW was nearly everyones first MMO (which is a shame because FFXI and Everquest captured the MMO part better).
>>
File: 1455182983455.png (13 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
1455182983455.png
13 KB, 418x359
>>335526265
Fucking kill yourself you moron.

>What is LOLret for the entirety of vanilla
>Good luck ever playing as fire or arcane in a raid. Good luck in MC and BWL as fire.
>implying anyone took a shadow priest to a raid
>>
>>335519395
literally nothing
>>
File: 1447641274508.jpg (77 KB, 680x454) Image search: [Google]
1447641274508.jpg
77 KB, 680x454
>All the fucking floundering Blizzard shills have to do now that not only are WoW subs at their lowest in the entire HISTORY of the game, but Blizzard has entirely abandoned it in favor of making low-risk cashgrab copies of MTG, Dota and TF2
>>
>>335525743
>Chinesed them xpack to sell to gooks good
lol.
>>
>>335526294
Vanilla with current LFD ( not the instant queue but the one that you sign up for a group on the list ) and talent styles would be GOAT desu
>>
>>335526094
>Never witnessed the Reckoning Bomb.
>Never witnessed the PvP Paladins that just outlasted everyone.
>Never witnessed Ret DPS in Raids/Instances.

A sad existance is your life.
>>
>>335526239
HURR DURR THIS QUEST ITEM YOU GOT IS UPGRADED FROM GREEN TO PURPLE. GOOD JERB!
>>
>>335521830
Neo /v/ won't get it they're too young only us oldfags will get it lol :-DDDDDDDD
>>
>>335523920
Okay, anybody that isn't a defensive sperglord will agree, but what's the alternative?

Sitting in your garrison doing jack shit? WoW was made to feel like a world, it's in the fucking title for christ's sake. my character is supposed to feel like a guy i'm playing in that world, he has to do work to get stuff, why is that bad?

And why do people that enjoyed this game have to pay for impatient people that enjoy instant gratification?
>>
>>335526401
You just don't enjoy World of Warcraft anon. If I find Dark Soul's gameplay tedious and unbearable, Dark Souls just isn't my type of game. Millions of people disagree with you.

Warlords of Draenor sounds perfect for you btw
>>
>>335526527
Current talents are fucking shit. I want the old trees back. Fuck this new garbage.
>>
>>335526454
>>implying anyone took a shadow priest to a raid

>>335526265
>You have literallly zero fucking clue on what you're talking about. Shut the fuck up.

Is Shadowform okay?
NO
I'm going to do it anyway
HELL NO

We're MC raiders.
We ain't got no life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjmJCy1ksYY
>>
>>335521052
>optional
>garrisons literally required to get to tanaan

Then they start giving out insane amounts of gold you'd be stupid not to exploit them. Then everyone starts exploiting them and the world is dead
>>
It was made back when Blizzard still had talent and actually liked making games, instead of just liking to make money.
A shame they never followed Valve's example, they might not be sinking otherwise.
>>
>>335526538
>Patched Out
>Could be countered really easily
>Was literally only brought for Salv

And let's even go beyond Paladins for a second, why were Warriors the only class with a fucking Taunt
>>
>>335526263
>stormwind has been on fire for longer than it wasn't
>>
>>335523920
All of these things made the game FUN. They were THINGS TO DO! And they were FUN to DO!
>>
>>335526538
Yeah actually I did, I remember the patch when they nerfed reckoning after that guy raped Kazzak. That gimmick doesn't mean that ret was EVER a viable or respected raid spec.
>>
>>335526689
The old trees that everyone had to spec into the same way to get the best abilities and stats? It's the same damn thing.
>>
>>335526689
The old trees were shit. Everyone just looked up the objectively best and statistically proven spec for PVE or PVP. Then you got one spec tree left that was utterly useless.
>>
>>335526265
Not him but I've been a human retadin the entire lifespan of wow.

We were garbage until Wrath, and Prot wasnt viable until BC because they lacked a taunt. Only Holy could get shit done, and that was by design.
>>
>>335520378
>game was a lot less casual
I played since vanilla and let me tell you something. All of you claiming WoW went easy mode are so full of shit. All I hear is "I played before WoW before it went mainstream, I'm so fucking cool." Most of you claiming WoW went easy mode haven't even downed new content. If you're so pro, how come you're now in some highly ranked guilds? Bunch of hipsters full of shit.
>>
>>335526836
They still do it though.
>>
>>335526721
>i get my information on Vanilla WoW from meme videos
there's your issue
>>
>>335526805
>why were Warriors the only class with a fucking Taunt
I forgot druids were added in TBC
>>
>>335526721
I miss when Mannoroth was actually a good server.
>>
>>335526884
It's better to get actual meaningful talents now instead of being excited for +1% critical hit
>>
>>335526224
You can't beat Athene in a race, stop trying
>>
>>335526919
Shadow was shit and useless when there were only so many debuff spots. Go back to being a heal bitch where you belong and leave the DPS to Warlocks.
>>
File: 9uegh25h.png (6 KB, 70x32) Image search: [Google]
9uegh25h.png
6 KB, 70x32
>>335527052
>he doesn't know about shadow weaving
>he doesn't PvP
>>
>>335526401
leveling and pre-raid is the best, once you're looted and farming raids it gets boring

>>335526454
ret was good for leveling and pvp, prior to cata it wasn't a priority for every single spec to be competitive both pve/pvp

>>335527052
plenty of raids brought an spriest for the shadow damage debuff
>>
>>335525953
>Vanilla WoW
>World PvP actually happened
I wonder if anyone in thesethread remembers they introduced PVP after launch and there were literal wars happening in starter zones
>>
>>335526951
Okay let me rephrase that

Why were Warriors the only class that could use Taunt on a short enough CD to actually be usable
>>
>>335526823
>grinding my ass off mashing one macro is fun
>>
>>335526647
>I never tried to level as a holy priest
>>
>>335527141
Ret was actually worthy of a spot as soon as TBC hit, especially if you were seal twisting with seal of blood you faggot.
>>
>>335527136
>>335527141
>shadow weaving
>worth anything when warlocks did tank tier dps
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763 KB, 1024x768
>>335527136
>he PvP
oh wow get a load of this guy
>>
>>335519395
>Tell me what vanilla WoW did better than live.

it's not so much about what it did. it's about what it didnt do.

vanilla didn't force some EPIC HEROIC STORYLINE down my throat when i was leveling.
vanilla didn't shove farmville tier idle games like the garrison on me.
vanilla didn't shit out four fucking difficulties of the same raid and try to fool me into thinking that was a good idea.
vanilla didn't have laughably undertuned world questing content and 5-man dungeons.
vanilla didn't try to tell me that 10-minute loot hallways qualify as dungeons.
vanilla didn't have pandashit.
vanilla didn't introduce tools to automat away 90% of social interaction between players.

if you want to know what vanilla WoW did better than live - it valued effort and challenge over convenience.
>>
>>335527235
>Had to be a blood elf to be a paladin.

Life wasn't worth living.
>>
>>335519395
I liked that leveling took a long time, so when you had experianced all of a zone you were just the right level to move to the next zone/ part of the story
>>
>>335527194
>I tried to grind my dick off with a toaster
>therefore cooking is tedious and unbearable

I found your issue anon, you're a retard
>>
>>335527235
people only seal twisted towards the end of bc, and only a few people did. i would say just seal of blood and getting windfury totem is solid dps
>>
>>335527271
>vanilla didn't shit out four fucking difficulties of the same raid and try to fool me into thinking that was a good idea.
It's okay. you can keep raiding Rag and his 3 move selections forever. I know Mythic raiding is hard for you, anon, but not everyone needs to be carebear'd. Some of us actually like a challenge and not a tank and spank like most Vanilla bosses.
>>
File: 1460396287455.jpg (100 KB, 800x599) Image search: [Google]
1460396287455.jpg
100 KB, 800x599
Lets clear some things up
>Flying mounts never killed the game being able to avoid shitty mobs from knocking you off was a god send
>There specific PvP zones you could PvP in such as Hellfire towers
>Grinding for months to get 1 thing isn't content
>Raiding I will agree has become way to fucking easy now days and needs to be rebuffed as well as the gear grind
>LFG tool isn't what killed the community its spergs who never talked that did.
>There is literally nothing wrong with merging servers and zones it adds up to a more lively world
>100 Token is bullshit and what killed the community
>Garrisons killed the community
>The game being centered around making gold killed the community
>The whole "YOUR OUR HERO ANON WE LOVE YOU" Story line needs to fucking die I want to be just a normal adventurer again fuck being a hero
>Story line is fucked right now making that even useless
>The current devs to WoW are hacks see "fuck that loser" wilson
>'Fans' saying blizzard can do no wrong and eating every steaming pile of shit Blizz pushes out is what also killed the game.
>>
>>335527163
>>335527260
obviously don't know shit about vanilla, also bear growl and warrior taunt were identical
>>
>World PVP is dead
>Read this while watching a fucking brawl go down in Southern Barrens
>>
Your picture basically describes it.

It was always the sense of community.

I had a guild that I met up with constantly back then. It was basically a meeting place for tech-oriented people. We had everything from electrical engineers to that dude that probably created a shit hot tub. It was so fucking fun listening to how varied it was over a forty man vent in raid chat.

Yet, when we had to down a boss in Naxx, Molten Core or anything else we all just organized. The game used to be really cool. It was a community.

I mean, my server back then was regional so people knew each other personally if they talked enough. They took that all away later.
>>
>>335527297
Blood elves aren't that bad.

Could've been way cooler as the addled blood elves (whatever the rejects were called) or the fel elves. Would've fit better with the Horde.

Draenei are utter shit, Broken were way cooler than the fucking "pure" draenei.
>>
File: you think you do but you dont.jpg (270 KB, 800x1038) Image search: [Google]
you think you do but you dont.jpg
270 KB, 800x1038
>>335519395
I played original WoW back in 05-06 and all the expansions up to now and really the only thing Vanilla did better was give each class their own identity.

Everything else about Vanilla was rose tinted nostalgia goggles and being young/new to the game. Game was a huge time sink like >>335523920 said and the game had a fuck ton of balance issues and absent quality of life changes.
>>
>>335527373
>the game should just let some specs suffer during the leveling process instead of addressing what the issue is
>>
>>335527652
>Druids
>Tanking

LOL. GO BACK TO RESTO BITCH AND GIVE ME AN INNERVATE.
>>
>>335524807
>tempest keep key
so you are saying you were part of a functional 25man raid guild, yet unable to find 4 people to run h slab with you? i find that hard to believe.

also you could probably spam /2 for a week straight and never find a group for h slab. nobody bothered pugging hard heroics like slab, shattered halls or arcatraz. those pretty much only got run by guild and friend groups.
>>
>>335527740
fuck off I love my draenei cock sleeve.
>>
>>335527745
le nostalgia
>>
>>335527567
LFG made the spergs numbers increase. Before they'd have to at least attempt to be social to get into a raid and not ruin it, but now you'll just get dumped in with any bunch of faggots, and there's no penalty for saying fuck it. EZ mode BS.

>There is literally nothing wrong with merging servers and zones it adds up to a more lively world

Ayyyup pretty much. If there aren't the numbers to support having a shard, merging it is the only option.
>>
>>335526454
Yeah man, remember all those frost mages in AQ40 and Naxx? Or that nearly year long period where Ret paladins were 100% mandatory for BoK? And how nobody EVER ran at least 1 shadowpriest for one of the most important spell effects in raiding?

I also sure as hell don't remember every. single. scrub. mage. running Arcane in PvP.
>>
>>335527745
WHy does everyone assume the people playing vanilla back in the day were 10 years old?

I was senior in high School when BC dropped, and most of my guilds were in high school (played with irl buddies) or college?
>>
>>335521092
>hurr durr they are canon

Who the fuck cares. They were a shitty race that probably only 5% of the community wanted. Yes the expansion was not the worst but fuck me you panda fags are the worst
>>
>>335527952
It must be sad being in your late 20s and you're still browsing this website
>>
>>335527271
So riddle me this nostalgiafag
Why did Wildstar fail when it tried to copy vanilla WoW as closely as humanly possible?
>>
Content.
There is more endgame vanilla content than WoD endgame content and Cata endgame content.

The other expansions it's not as cut and dry, but vanilla easily had more than those two.
>>
>We got Pandas
>Not Kobolds
>Not Gnolls
>Not Naga
>Not Ogres
I think that's why people are upset.
>>
>>335527959
mists of pandaria was the best expansion since wotlk
>>
>>335527745
/r/ the original version of that pic
>>
>>335521621
Actual builds are just a way to reduce your number of key binding.

Even if trees was all similar in other hand you got all your gameplay at the same time with it.
>>
>>335527768

>bear tanks weren't a thing

Why won't this meme die?
>>
>>335528103
maybe they copied some of the mechanics but that doesnt automaticly make it good. the game looks like shit and boring. also doesnt that game have cross realm and dungeon finder type thing?
>>
>>335526454
Don't forget, all warlocks did was shadowbolt spam/wand unless they sucked tons of raid leader cock to get one of the precious debuff slots for a curse or corruption.
>>
>>335528138
>We got Pandas, shitty idea but makes sense.
>Not Kobolds, make no sense
>Not Gnolls, make no sense
>Not Naga, for whom ? The Horde ? Even more retarded than belfs niot goin gbakc to the alliance.
>Not Ogres, The only option that really makes sense. I never got why they weren't part of the horde back in warcraft 3.
>>
>>335528103
>Why did Wildstar fail

you're asking me why a game with pink-haired furbait catgirls with bunny ears and tails didn't catch on?

you tell me
>>
>>335528241
Give me some bear tank raiding vids from old Naxx.
>>
Hey guys remember when shamans had a build that made them literally invincible indefinitely? Remember when rogues could stunlock indefinitely?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 59

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.