[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this any good? I've needed a PC controller for years,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
Is this any good? I've needed a PC controller for years, but have never gotten around to getting one. From what I hear this is pretty solid.

>Does it work well?
>How does it play?
>Is it worse than a normal 360 controller?
>Is it worth $30?
>And anything else you might want to add?
>>
>>335110372

Best controller for pc

Wait for revision 2 it's almost coming
>>
>>335110542
How's it the best?
>>
>>335110542
Valve said they wont add anything to future revisions, so it'll be aesthetic changes at most. I can see how some people might think that newer=better though.
>>
It's the most customizeable controller ever made

Like you can have it so when you touch/click one of the circle pads an onscreen menu with 3-14 icons comes up that can each be bound to it's own key/macro/anything. Or have it act as a regular laptop mousepad thing, or emulate a joystick, or any of the 10 other settings for it

Has a pair of paddles on the back and two-stage triggers for even more custom shit (depress trigger halfway to bring up sights, depress past the click to fire if you want)

On the downside the ergonomics are pretty different from every other pad and your hands just might not mesh with it and the touchpads might not make any sense to you (a detractor argument might be that they needed so much software customization because there is no natural way for it to simply work well)

Overall a good buy. Finished Dark Souls 3 with mine.
>>
It works really well with Steam,but has no native Windows support like a Xbox pad,so you need Steam to run anything with it.
>>
great controller.

it's really customizable, so you should be able to play the vast majority of games with it comfortably.

it's missing a second stick and the ABXY buttons are a bit hard to reach, even if you have large hands. otherwise it is super comfortable and the trackpads feel nice. it's also missing native windows support.

it's a quality controller, but i would only recommend it if you already have a 360 pad or something similar. some games are almost unplayable with the trackpad, no matter how good the configuration is (for example: magicka). in games where you'd have to use a mouse, the trackpads are far superior to a regular analog stick (for example: civ 5 or portal 2). doesn't beat a mouse, but it's great if you want to sit on the couch and play something casually.

they still update the firmware from time to time and add new features. since you get portal 2 and rocket league for free with it, it's a great buy.
>>
>>335110848

Customization there's nothing like it along with community presets. Stopped using my 360 controller for it

In dark souls 3 the trackpad is nice for aiming my bow

Still newer is better and I'm sure they collected enough feedback for a better revision
>>
It works and valve continually supports its development.

I'd recommend it for tps,strategy, and puzzle games

maybe racing too, but any cockpit-type game is better with sim-peripherals (steering wheel and the like)
>>
>>335111656
>you need Steam to run anything with it
https://gitlab.com/dennis-hamester/scd
>>
File: 1460267698131.jpg (17 KB, 540x456) Image search: [Google]
1460267698131.jpg
17 KB, 540x456
>>335112009
>Packages
>Arch Linux
>>
>>335112260
Just compile it m8
>>
File: 1459829211244.png (121 KB, 291x260) Image search: [Google]
1459829211244.png
121 KB, 291x260
>>335112429
>At the moment, only Linux is supported.
They can't be assed if I run into any bugs. I'll just wait on it.
>>
>>335112729
>At the moment, only Linux is supported.
Kek, almost forgot about that.
Not used to being on the other end of the stick.
>>
>>335110372
I'm bought this few weeks ago after years of Kb+m various controller needing games. Hell, I've played DMC3, DMC4 and DmC with a keyboard.

I don't really have any base for comparison, but it seems fine. I'm using the wireless version and so far it feels comfy and responsive.

I have no personal experience with the Steam controller, but from what I hear, people either love it or hate it. Whatever you decide to buy though, make sure to avoid cheaper controllers. Many people say that you have to hold it in your hand in order to feel for yourself if it feels comfortable enough, but that doesn't really give you any idea how you're going to feel after a 4-hour gaming session.

So, bottomline is:
>buy something you like
>something well received by the general gaming community
>avoid cheapness
>>
>>335113731
And being a fucking fag, I forgot the pic.

Here it is.
>>
Are people really buying this controller with no joke intended? Holy fuck, please don't tell me there's really people who worship that fat slob.
>>
>>335111656
This isn't true anymore, was only true for the first two weeks post controller launch. You can have steam fully shut down, the controller will just use its default layout (which you can only change in steam, but will save to the controller so it works without it running)

>>335111797
You don't get games for free with it, what are you on about? Also it's not 'missing' a second analog stick there's no use for a second one - I can hit the ABXY pad using both my hands and I have fairly average sized hands. Also the buttons are close so you don't have to travel far with your thumb. Again, has native Windows support. (What do you guys think native support means?)
>>
>>335114584
Found the kid who has never used one but is going to claim he has.
>>
>>335114584
>worshipping your mother
Don't be so mean, anon.
>>
>>335110372
Best controller to date. Only thing that could make it better is if modern consoles could interface with it so I wouldn't have to use other controllers. I've probably passed about 400 hours or so with the first one I got, and while I was playing DS3 earlier my A button started to stick a bit. Toothpick + cotton swab and it's fine now, but that's every controller if you have filthy oily sweaty fingers. If you're a giant toddler who throws controllers, it's the third most durable next to X360 and GameCube controllers; it doesn't powderize upon contact like wiiu pro or ds4
>>
>>335115634
>If you're a giant toddler who throws controllers, it's the third most durable next to X360 and GameCube controllers
So you're a giant toddler that throws controllers?
>>
>>335114691
>You don't get games for free with it, what are you on about?
i got both portal 2 as well as rocket league when i bought the steam controller. i didn't know it was a preorder bonus.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/free-rocket-league-and-portal-2-if-you-preorder-an/1100-6430109/

>Also it's not 'missing' a second analog stick
try playing magicka
good luck

> has native Windows support
you need to launch games through steam, you can't use the controller without it. they 360 is plug and play with any game. native support would mean that i could remap the buttons with xpadder, the controller however is not recognized as a game controller without steam. it has no native windows support, it needs the steam framework to run.
>>
>>335117151
>try playing magicka
Does Magicka use the mouse to walk around? Mouse region should work fine for that.
>>
Got mine a couple weeks ago. Have ~100 hours with it. The customization is insane, its really good for that reason. I can do running jumps in DS3 that are a breeze and not accidentally jump when shit gets intense. That's something any other controller will fuck you on (for me at least). I need to get back to trying FPS games out again, now that I've got the jist of it from DS3, I think I'll have better control in other games. I also love the haptic feels and sounds.

Downsides being: Big Picture Mode is shit, it's seriously the fucking worst. If I have my controller connected and play something else without using the controller, BPM is running, just because it's connected. What does this mean? It means tab+ shifting into steam overly doesn't work with mouse anymore, it also drastically reduces the amount of features. If someone is chatting with me, i have to alt tab out to respond, or use the controller to open up the chat then use keyboard.

The D Pad is also very...shitty. It just doesn't work as intended, simply put. It's a pad just like the right side, but with tiny indentation that doesn't do enough. Setting the controller down will cause the trigger buttons to go off if you aren't super gentle. A few times I've had configs just go fucking haywire for no reason mid game. open steam overly, back into game, and its fixed. Weird and annoying. Some games just feel WRONG with it. Enter the Gungeon just doesn't feel right. I'm used to my thumb hugging an axis. You can't do that here without sliding off the pad. Also, finding configs that work for YOU can be a pain in the ass. A half hour project sometimes.

Would I recommend it? I guess, it's alright. It's comfy and feels good, though after like 4 hours my fingers stiffen up, something that didn't ever happen with a 360 controller.

Really cool piece of tech, if nothing else.
>>
Is it worth getting a Steam Controller if I already have a wired 360 controller for games? It seems like it'd be nice to essentially be able to play any PC game with a controller when you want but I'm wondering if it'd be worth shelling out for. Also there's a new revision coming soon?
>>
>>335117971
here, @
>>335118090
I picked it up for a variety of reasoning. Another controller so I can do coop with the girlfriend without using kb+m, see what it's like, it was only 30 bucks, I think that sums it up.

Depends on how much money you have to throw around. If picking one up when its on sale for 30 bucks means nothing to you financially, then why not?

I saw some article about a revision coming sometime, but it's valve, who knows when they'll be. Sometime this year or next, may or may not be worth waiting for. Dunno.
>>
>>335118809
they must deplete the stock before rising hype about new revision
>>
>>335117151
I've played magicka with it, shit I'm playing hyper light drifter on it right now only using the touchpads and triggers, it takes a minute to unlearn (or set aside) traditional twin stick.
You don't need to launch games through steam. You ONLY need steam running if you want to remap on the fly by pushing the steam button. The controller will use a default layout when steam isn't running, so you can just save default desktop layouts as 'X game layout' and use that. the 360 only works with games that support xinput - the steam controller can send xinput signals. 'Native' would mean that you aren't using the software xpadder.
>>
>>335117971
BPM is great, do you have a toaster? It doesn't run on toasters/macs well. The steam overlay is just a shitty pre-BPM version, why would you not just use BPM? Steam button->right bumper: you're at chat, and can choose any friend/convo and talk or whatever. Your issue stems from wanting to use two different controllers and two different versions of an overlay at the same time which is absurd on your part just pick one. If you're the type of person who wants to go from using a controller to a kb+m in the middle of a game, I'm sure you can figure out how to use a button instead of alt-shift.
>>
>>335121747
Nope, high end PC. It's simple, every setting I have for steam overlay doesn't apply to BPM and I can't change any settings for BPM. Huge boxes telling me people are starting games, fuck off. I can't use my mouse on my computer, fuck off. I wish Valve would just pick one overlay and just make that the standard and make it good. The default non BPM overlay is and has always been shit.
>>
Fun to use but a pain in the ass to press the center touchpad buttons. In games like DS3 where you NEED those to use lock-on it can easily switch your weapons instead.

It also purrs for some reason.
>>
>>335123325
>It also purrs for some reason.

hahahahahaha
>>
Whatever happened to the touchpad it was supposed to have?

And how are the buttons/triggers/paddles on the back?
>>
It feels like shit to hold.
Buttons are bad and cheaply made, haptic feedback is litterally making noise all the time.
triggers get stuck often
a huge piece of shit hunk of plastic
do not buy
buy a xbone one instead or even a wii u pro they should be cheap now
>>
>>335122272
> Huge boxes telling me people are starting games
remove notifications

> I can't use my mouse on my computer,
i guess me using mouse in BPM was a lie all these years
>>
>>335110372
https://youtu.be/HWf-q0FxTBM
>>
>>335110372
I use one, it's great and changing the settings is great, just two buttons away

I hope it lasts me a while, I usually go through controllers fast
>>
>>335110372
>>Is it worth $30?
I thought it was $50
>>
It's pretty much just an on button for my steam link at this point.

I bought a windows 10 adapter to use my xbone controller with it. After I found out it doesn't work with the steam link, thank god it's in range of my PC, so my xbone controller works fine using it that way.
>>
>>335123325
For DS3 I set it to use 2-button config. So the only 2 options are fucking gigantic and it'll never really go to the other one, which is just also set to right stick click just to be sure.
>>
>>335110372
>>Does it work well?
Fairly well. Some small glitches here and there. It's at its best on games that don't natively support controller. Had a bit of trouble getting some older games to work (Jade Empire, mostly)
>>How does it play?
Surprisingly well. The grip paddles take a bit to get used to, but are incredibly nice.
>>Is it worse than a normal 360 controller?
Yes and no. Like I said, it's definitely better on games that don't natively support controllers. I very slightly prefer my DS4 for games with native support, but not enough to bother switching it back and forth from my PS4 anymore.
>>Is it worth $30?
$30, definitely. But at $50 it may be a bit steep.
>>And anything else you might want to add?
The custom desktop mode bindings are fan fucking tastic. Definitely the best controller internet browsing I've seen yet. Being able to bind a button to switch monitor outputs means I can throw Steam onto my TV from the couch. That alone was worth the $50 for me.
>>
Get a 360 one
>>
>>335123914
Touch pads are there. All other buttons, all of them, feel just right.
>>
>supporting a drm platform at all

get a wired 360.
>>
>>335129421

>compared to locked drm platforms with paid online

Some games on steam don't require it's drm

Up to the devs
>>
>>335113817
Xbox 360 controller has the stiffest fucking buttons ever, a shit d-pad and massive deadzone on the analog sticks. The only good thing about it are the ergonomics.
>>
File: steam controller.jpg (494 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
steam controller.jpg
494 KB, 2048x1152
>>335110372

It depends on what you play. The D-Pad sucks so I don't recommend it for 2D platformers. But I have used it playing Dark Souls 3 and it was quite nice when I figured out how to customize it. I don't like Big Picture Mode but it's a small issue.

I still think the 360 controller is the best simply because it's simple and every game I've played supports it naturally (unlike the Wii U Pro, which is a great controller too).

>>335117971

Agreed, don't know why BPM was a requirement to access all the features hopefully they sort that out.
>>
>>335130601
>I don't recommend it for 2D platformers
I've played through Super Metroid recently just fine. The only thing that doesn't work for me at all is fighting games.
>>
Mine literally just came in today and my first impressions are pretty positive. The feel and layout of the controller makes it feel much closer to a GameCube controller than using another type of controller for dolphin and it is probably the best controller for emulators in general. The only real thing that bothered me was that the two circle pads feel sort of cheap. It's a cheap is feeling plastic and the click is very springy. Other than that it's a stellar controller and the backplate buttons are God tier for iron sights and jump toggling.
>>
>>335110372
One thing I'll say about it is it's the only controller I've come across that has a learning curve.

If you actually take some time to become proficient with using the trackpads and customizing it properly, it's definitely the most accurate and versatile controller available for basically anything but D-Pad favoring games like shmups or platformers.

If you're just looking for a quality all-around controller, it's most likely not for you.

Basically, if you don't know why you want it, don't get it.
If you have a specific need for it, however, it's great once you get used to it.
>>
>>335111802
They also have replaced all broken hardware for free. Possibly to get info on what gets broken in the controller.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.