[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is no one talking about this gem? This game has a well p
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
Why is no one talking about this gem? This game has a well paced level design, great gameplay, well done visuals and a neat soundtrack

it deserves more attention
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvZhXtu5Wc

In fact what is that game that you love but no one seems to talk about? That little gem that flew under everyones radar
>>
It's a cool game. Kinda short and the weapon upgrade makes the last boss ridiculously easy.

But the game was fun
>>
>>335105295
It really was fun, it ain't perfect, but the good outweights the bad. I also never saw much discussion on Axiom Verge which is weird, since there's a lot of metroid fans here and they constantly bitch that Nintendo keeps fucking the franchise in the ass, which is true, but makes you wonder why they didn't play AV when is basically a big fat letter to Metroid
>>
>>335105141
i know it's a good game but it seems like there is not a lot of information about the series

i can get momodora 3 and 4 on steam don't know where or how i can play momodora 1 and 2
>>
>>335105523
You can get them fro free on itchi.o, though the first one is literally cave story but with a reskin
>>
>>335105141
It's extremely short and has some questionable design decisions, as with every Momodora game.

>>335105512
>Axiom Verge
AV has been discussed plenty, and it's also shit, so it's stupid to pretend it's something Metroid fans should love.
>>
>>335105665
>and it's also shit
Care to elaborate there?
>>
File: Tower%20of%20Guns00025[1].jpg (229 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Tower%20of%20Guns00025[1].jpg
229 KB, 1280x720
>what is that game that you love but no one seems to talk about?
Even after you've unlocked everything, turning the story off and running through endless mode until you die or the game crashes is fun as hell.
>>
>>335105845
What game is that?
>>
>>335105912
>filename.jpg
>>
>>335105784
The vast majority of items you get in Axiom Verge are weapon pickups or incremental stat boosts, and most of the weapons are worthless. There are three separate upgrades that do nothing but let you walk through a one-block wall, give you a dash, and then upgrade that dash marginally. There are several areas where you can't access items without inputting a password to arbitrarily change the layout of the room and make them accessible. Many areas use the same tilesets with mere palette swapped colours, which makes the world feel indistinct. There's a shit story that's loaded on heavily for the first half and then entirely absent for the second half until the ending.

Basically it fucked up at doing just about everything that made Metroid good and most of your upgrades are either worthless or glorified keys for glorified doors, which is more akin to Zelda design than Metroid.
>>
>>335106305
Point taken in both the story and tiles, but the upgrades made the movement really fun since dashing around was efficient and fast, while it needed more variety on item pickups, the level design was great and so was the soundtrack which made the game had a truly envolvent atmosphere.

I'd say is good, but not on par with ZM or Super
>>
>>335106135
Tower guns?
>>
>>335106773
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn-UQ1oE3Jk
>>
>>335106558
>but the upgrades made the movement really fun since dashing around was efficient and fast
You could argue instead that the normal movement speed was simply too slow if you needed to dash everywhere. The dash was also massive chore due to it being mapped to double-tap rather than a button, which is both imprecise and tedious.
> the level design was great
Very debatable, especially with all the walking back and forth from one end of the world to another you have to do. It also has absolutely absurd shit like areas that require one powerup to access, so you go all the way back after getting the powerup and go through the area, only to find that shortly afterwards you're blocked by needing another powerup and can't actually find anything in that area yet. The game does this constantly.
>and so was the soundtrack
I can only vaguely remember one song. I certainly didn't think much of it as I played it.
>>
It's shit aside from graphics.
>>
>>335106847
>>335106847
>especially with all the walking back and forth from one end of the world to another you have to do
That is also present in both the Metroid and Castlevania series, so are the powerup stuff being blocked.

>You could argue instead that the normal movement speed was simply too slow if you needed to dash everywhere
Not really, it was more or less the same as Samus default speed, being mapped to double tap was a flaw in the control scheme but I got used to that pretty fast
>>
>>335107007
other than the length and some OP upgrades, it's a really well done game.
>>
>>335105512
>I also never saw much discussion on Axiom Verge which is weird, since there's a lot of metroid fans here and they constantly bitch that Nintendo keeps fucking the franchise in the ass, which is true, but makes you wonder why they didn't play AV when is basically a big fat letter to Metroid
There are shitloads of Metroid-like games released by droves on Steam and as freeware nowadays but they all get ignored by so called fans of Metroid because they don't have their waifu in zero suit

It really exposes where their real priorities lie
>>
It's a good game but I wouldn't say the design Is all that great. The end game is far too easy and he dev doesn't make use of the tools that he gives you.
>>
>>335107713
>because they don't have their waifu in zero suit
Maybe is because the over exposition of the genre? Becuase most of the metroid fans I've seen bitches about the zero suit being in, not out
>>
>>335105141
>boss level
>just wailing on her tits
Looks cool though
>>
>>335108015
Is like the second boss fight, in terms of design it gets much better, except for the final boss
>>
>>335105141
Oh shit, an indie shill thread. Hey guys how good is chronicles of teddy?
>>
>>335105141
I liked it even thought it was super short, and after playing Rabi-Ribi it was less than I wanted at the time.
Not bad, just out-shone for what it was.
>>
the hit with the sword looks very punchy from that video, i like that. will download.
>>
>>335108332
I always see Rabi-Rabi mentioned. How good is that game, and what is about?
>>
File: 54949815_p0.png (1 MB, 1550x1550) Image search: [Google]
54949815_p0.png
1 MB, 1550x1550
>>335108452
It feels like a Mega Man/Metroidvania game with bullet hell bosses. Lots of different moves to use, a combo system that forces you to vary your moves, combos increase your damage and you get different shot(spell) types with differing charge abilities.

https://youtu.be/G6LVGtYfJ1U?t=2m5s

Also art by Waero, who is great.
>>
>>335107935
then they are twice the hypocrites
>>
File: ccP2dL (2).gif (360 KB, 256x212) Image search: [Google]
ccP2dL (2).gif
360 KB, 256x212
>In fact what is that game that you love but no one seems to talk about?
pic related
>>
>>335107213
>That is also present in both the Metroid and Castlevania series, so are the powerup stuff being blocked.
The games have backtracking, yes, but not to the same extent. The natural progression of powerups and following areas in AV just isn't laid out well at all.
And not at all, Metroid always has at least one thing to find behind one powerup area if there's going to be a second powerup-locked area behind it.
>Not really, it was more or less the same as Samus default speed
The difference is in the speed relative to the world layout. Samus also had a faster run by default, and her run was upgraded, rather than simply getting a temporary short dash that has to be used repeatedly.
>>
>>335107696
>>335105141
The boss fights were really the only good parts of it. Everything else was just tedium while waiting for the next boss fight.
>>
>>335108452
As far as indie metroidvanias go, I'd say it's easily the best one I've played. The world is quite large, there are loads of great boss fights, the music is stellar, the plot is a bit convoluted but it doesn't drag the game down. It's also hugely non-linear, you can beat the game without even getting your basic weapon and bosses change to have their health drain over time to accommodate this.

>>335109115
Lewds when?
>>
File: 51994688_p0.png (600 KB, 818x1158) Image search: [Google]
51994688_p0.png
600 KB, 818x1158
>>335110010
He hasn't done full blown lewds for Rabi-Ribi, but he's got plenty of other good stuff that would get me banned from a blue board.
>>
>>335109115
It better be fucking good because that art style is goddamn awful
>>
>>335109603
What's this furry shit, looks fun
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.