[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does overwatch ooze pixar/dreamworks levels of serious? Nothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11
File: maxresdefault.jpg (167 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
167 KB, 1920x1080
Why does overwatch ooze pixar/dreamworks levels of serious? Nothing in Overwatch is funny except when tracer laughs while killing people in game.

>Overwatch
>space monkey is named Winston
>Literally the most intelligent being in the galaxy
>invents a make-shift rocket to fly to earth
>so enlightened by his intelligence he invents all their shit

>TF2
>space monkey literally named Poopy Joe
>is a monkey so he canonically shits himself
>his rocket explodes because it had no fuel
>not that he could fly a rocket, he was a monkey
>>
The fantasy behind Overwatch is all these super heroes go mercenary and fight eachother.
The fantasy behind TF2 is all the mercenaries are wack-jobs fighting for entrepreneurs invested in gravel. Though that didn't really unfold until later in the game's life, and it was originally just Team Fortress with heavier class emphasized gameplay with an early 20th century artstyle for the sake of having more recognizable characters.

Overwatch tries to have a stable setting with actual lore while TF2 pretty much made everything up as it went along.
>>
>>335064483
This. However, I think TF2 worked it's lore out well enough even if it was slapped together periodically. It matches up with the attitude of the characters quite nicely. Overwatch characters, on the other hand, look like they should be having a ball, yet the most indication we ever get of that is a mild grin when they win.
>>
>Why does overwatch ooze pixar/dreamworks levels of serious?

They pander to the western otakus. Manchildren that will buy Tracer figures and jerk off on them.
>>
>>335064879
The Overwatch characters all have interactions with each other during the set-up phase like in Dota and they do have domination lines although they are really rare to happen for some reason.
>>
>>335064972
>Tracer
>Not Widowmaker
>>
TELEPORT
BREAD
>>
>>335064013
>Nothing in Overwatch is funny

why does it have to be funny? Its a FPS game not a visual novel
>>
>>335064013
>>TF2
>>space monkey literally named Poopy Joe
>>is a monkey so he canonically shits himself
>>his rocket explodes because it had no fuel
>>not that he could fly a rocket, he was a monkey
I'd forgotten how fucking funny this was, man TF2 is jokes
>>
>dreamworks levels of serious
???
>>
Overwatch is about elite super-heroes flipping and quipping their way through an action blockbuster. It's no more of a comedy game than Avengers 6: Dawn of Malevolox can be called a comedy film just because Captain Atom fires off a zingy one-liner after punching a robot. The gameplay of Overwatch seems tight and enjoyable, but the lore is formulaic drivel written by a committee.

On the contrary, TF2's characters are highly flawed madmen, scraped from the bottom of the mercenary barrel by squabbling land-owners fighting over gravel. The game's entire premise riffs on the improbable situations of the average multiplayer FPS by supplementing it with an equally bizarre and insignificant background story.

You can't compare (from a lore perspective) two games with such antithetical approaches to fluff and setting.
>>
>>335065180
I HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT TELEPORT BREAD FOR THREE DAYS
>>
>>335064013
>invents a make-shift rocket to fly to earth
Wait, he's a fucking alien ape? Holy shit, that's so fucking retarded it's not even funny indeed.
>>
>>335065180
>>335066681
It would work so well as an animated series.
>>
>>335064013
Your post was not funny.
>>
>>335064013
>Space monkey
>Serious
Toiler humour appreciation aside, are you 12?
>>
>>335066902
>one ten-minute episode every two years
>>
>another Overwatch TF2 comparison thread
>literally saying TF2 lolXD humor is good or better or whatever the fuck

do you bronies ever give up?

D E A D

G A M E
>>
File: 1455854642993.jpg (9 KB, 189x267) Image search: [Google]
1455854642993.jpg
9 KB, 189x267
>giving a shit about overwatch or tf2 "lore"
>>
>>335067108
>Two years
Giving Valve too much credit there.
>>
>>335064483
>tfw despite making shit as it went along and being more silly instead of just a pure James Bond parody game I'm still invested to the story
>>
Wasn't part of the wackyness of TF2 at first because Valve knew that was the inevitable end of any popular FPS?
>>
>>335067197
Barneyfags cant even micspam or place sprays any more. no idea what game they are fucking up now a days
>>
File: Gitgud.png (19 KB, 520x261) Image search: [Google]
Gitgud.png
19 KB, 520x261
>>335067197
>D E A D
>G A M E

Keep telling yourself that, bro.
>>
>>335067535
The wackiness originally came from Valve realizing that if you think about how the game works hard enough it doesn't make much sense and in itself silly.

It all started with "Wait...Why do the two enemy teams have secret bases 30 feet away from each other?" and the rest was history.
>>
File: scout blue.jpg (40 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
scout blue.jpg
40 KB, 300x300
>>335067197
>overwatch
>funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX__swbUwag&fmt=18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Gu0PSgq6s
>>
>>335067108
>Bi-monthly comic
Amiright?
>>
>>335064013
monkeys aren't gorillas
>>
>>335067535
It's because Valve knew that you can't write a serious story about two warring bands of mercenaries establishing secret bases within fifty yards of one another and battling each other in brightly-coloured uniforms.
>>
File: absolutely disgusting.jpg (70 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
absolutely disgusting.jpg
70 KB, 720x540
>>335067834
>Keep calm and Tracer on!
>>
>>335067834
cringed hard at the overwatch quotes
you´d literally have to hate yourself to get into actiblizz titles right now
>>
>>335067834
http://youtu.be/rl-ALA06oCE

Fuck, the voice acting in Overwatch is bad.
>>
>>335067834
>>335069016

Jesus fucking Christ, Overwatch lines are not only boring, but just plain bad.

Makes me want to play TF2 again.
>>
>>335067834
These are clearly designed for different types of people. TF2 was designed for people with a good sense of humor and Overwatch was designed for oversensitive millennials.

It's painful that this shit is going to be successful.
>>
>>335067834
>>335069016
The lines are just so boring, really middle of the road, safe for preschool type shit.
>>
>>335069016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFBSFvmTraE
>>
>>335067834
>having to set voice lines
>not having multiple lines cycle randomly so you don't hear the same line over and over and over and over and over

This is blizzards biggest problem. They don't think about longevity at all.
They don't think about the skill cap ruining the game.
They don't think about the tired lines being re used in spawn
They don't think about getting frozen, stunned, or whatever being boring after the umpteenth tine it happens.
They don't think about the In between battle UI getting tiresome and having to watch "play of the game" animation into generic ultimate kill is unintersting and wastes time.

There is a lot of time between fighting.
>>
>>335069016
That was legitimately awful to listen to.
>>
>>335069880
>safe for preschool type shit

duh. that's the audience overwatch is aiming for. 12 year old and the parents who buy them games
>>
>>335070662
WINKY FACE

CLICK
>>
>>335067759
You do realize most of those players are from russia

most russians can't afford good pc so they have to play old games
>>
>>335070715
I kind of like how clean it is, but it shouldn't be this cringy.
>>
>>335067759
>football manager
>>
>>335069016
Every word she speak creates vibrations and air currents that cut across my skin like a thousand tiny knives.
>>
>>335069016
That's it? there's no automated calls like MEDIC! Or Sentry ahead!
>>
>ITT: People comparing a game that's been out almost 10 years and had loads of updates to a game that's just about to launch and a company's first effort into a new IP since 1998

Anons seem to forget that they're aiming for more than just creating a single game.

The new IP was revealed through a short that looked like they were trying to produce a movie series potentially and they've gone on record to say that they are expanding to more than just the game.

The dialogue between characters is proof of this as well as the map design having lore and easter eggs for people who follow their mini shorts, comics, and other material.
>>
>>335071364
There is a chat wheel in game for call outs like 'Group up', 'Understood', 'I need Healing', and ultimate status. I think there are more like, 'We need a healer' but they are not on the wheel and I never looked up how to actually do them.
>>
>>335071384
>the updates improved tf2
tf2 was good since it released.
Overwatch is releasing like a game that's at the end of it's cycle, trying to jump every shark. The game is trying to do everything and succeeds at nothing.

The updates didn't make tf2 better, the meet the teams or comics didn't improve the game.

Overwatch will likely be successful though because of all of this, satisfying people like you with shiny polish and feedback.
>>
>>335071364
The sound clips in the videos are pretty much just the spammable taunts.
>>
>>335067834
>>335069016
Do you have to unlock and set these lines like equips?
Grinding for dialog...
>>
File: le conspiring hands.gif (58 KB, 132x140) Image search: [Google]
le conspiring hands.gif
58 KB, 132x140
>>335072121
>You have to unlock dialog for a $40 game
>>
>>335071364
Theres a press x for heals, and the characters automatically call out sentries and snipers.

Theres no chat box thing for it though, and I don't think the enemy team can hear you call it out.

No ultimate mind games or fake retreats. Everyone knows your health
>>
>>335071364
Actually your teammates automatically tell when there's a sniper, enemy teleporter, sentry, under attack, healing, etc

It's not part of the wheel because the game does it for you.
>>
>>335072384
This and the voice key being bound to , makes me wonder how much communication blizzard expects from players.
>>
File: [laugh track].gif (2 MB, 470x437) Image search: [Google]
[laugh track].gif
2 MB, 470x437
>>335072352
Why require players to call out or get information when the game can do it all for you?
>>
>>335072602
The health thing is stupid though, theres no mental notes to take when you shoot someone, you just look at their health and know all of their moves.
>>
What does /v/ think of Lawbreakers?

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/04/21/lawbreakers-team-shooting-gameplay-is-furious-and-fluid
>>
>>335072384
That's gay as fuck. Hitreg is already fucked and they had to babify the game when the only thing Overwatch has over tf2 is the potential for teamwork and inventing new team compositions?
>>
>>335067834
Overwatch is like the straigh edge safe version of TF2, like that horrible webm of goofy singing wake me up inside.
>>
>>335071384
tf2 was good out the gate m8.
>>
>>335074835
TF2 was shat on when it first came out though.
>>
>>335069174
>TF2 was designed for people with a good sense of humor and Overwatch was designed for oversensitive millennials.

lmao this delusion.
>>
File: 1460953388667.jpg (372 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1460953388667.jpg
372 KB, 1920x1080
>>335072807
I don't think it looks very interesting.

I'd lump it together with Battleborn.
>>
>>335071856
>tf2 was good since it released.
Okay sure whatever. Never mind the terrible stalemates of the vanilla maps and competitive play dying in a less then a year because people only used demoman and medic. Or the lack of a dropping the flag button.
>>
>>335075618
>WEHAVETAKENWEHAVEDROPPEDWEHAVETAKENWEHAVEDROPPEDWEHAVETAKENWEHAVEDROPPEDWEHAVETAKENWEHAVEDROPPEDWEHAVETAKENWEHAVEDROPPEDWEHAVETAKENWEHAVEDROPPEDWEHAVETAKENWEHAVEDROPPEDWEHAVETAKENWEHAVEDROPPEDWEHAVETAKENWEHAVEDROPPED

i miss tf2, I really do
>>
>>335074835
>>335075123
TF2 at it's first launch had a rocky start. It only came with 5 maps, two of them being 2fort and Hydro which were so bad that Capture the Flag is barely added except for occasions purely out of tradition and Territorial Control is complelty forgotten and hid under the rug by Valve themselves. Not to mention a lot of classes were brokenly over/underpowered; Demo could shoot six grenades at a time, Pyro had no airblast, Engie couldn't pick up buildings and so on.

I think it's generally agreed that 2009 was the golden age of TF2. Even if you don't like how the game is now (I still do) people who claim that 2007 was the game at it's best either was never there or wearing rose tinted glasses.
>>335075396
TF2 was made by people with ADD and Overwatch was made by weaboo's.
>>
>>335075618
I said good faggot.

The base game design for tf2 was perfect. Overwatch can't really improve like tf2 where they just add nice little touches or balance stuff out. It's almost a reverse situation, where they have a moderately balanced game, but they don't really have a strong core design.
>>
>>335075878
>TF2 was made by people with ADD and Overwatch was made by weaboo's.

Too bad overwatch doesn't have any eastern game touch in it. I really want a solid feeling character that doesn't die if the player is good and isn't tied down by cooldowns.
>>
>>335066902
We've been asking for this ever since the first "Meet the" trailers
>>
>>335070497
Underrated post.

ActiBlizz now prioritizes "easy to get into" over "satisfying to stay in".
>>
File: me.jpg (99 KB, 451x720) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
99 KB, 451x720
>>335075618
>tfw you will never play tc_hydro ever again
>>
>>335072602
Because nobody talks on the mic in pub servers.
>>
>>335076041
>I said good faggot.

And none of that was. get this. good design. nvm they took the liberty of changing the game's core design anyways. whether it's revamping classes or changing the critical hit system. overwatch in its vanilla form really has a strong core. unlike tf2 where the community had to step in to add good maps and valve pulling their heads out their asses nearly a year after launch.
>>
>>335067759
>Football Manager consistently at the top for years

I will never understand Europeans and their fascination with the mundane
>>
>>335076858
I'm more upset that we don't have maps with the same aesthetic. While maybe not the worst thing ever created/accepted by Valve tc_Hydro was a pretty bad map but I love the Industrial Energy Plant site look.

We also need more refinery based maps like Well.
>>
>>335077015
I don't you understand core.

Stuff like character movement, design, attack damage numbers, Stuff that's hard to change once you added so many characters.

Overwatch feels stiff as hell, there hit detection is far better, but god damn do close fights feel sloppy.
>>
rocket jumping as a scout was fun as fuck in tf2
>>
>>335072337
>Unlocking voice clips is horrible jewish shit
Are you too young to have been around for Tribes Ascend? That game would introduce an overpowered gun, sell it for $10, and 2 weeks later nerf it and add another even worse gun.

I personally think the unlock model is pretty fair in Overwatch. The shit you have is pretty much an indicator of how long you've been playing/how lucky you are.
>>
>>335077140
This is something I dislike about overwatch maps. They're completely unique locations, but the maps just don't feel stylish. Almost feel like they're too realistic, too many hallways, stair cases and doors that don't lead anywhere. The amount of detail is impressive but it's way too much for a fast reaction shooter.
>>
>>335066902
>>335076713
It was planned at one point I believe, on Adultswim.

Hence the Robot Chicken, Venture Bros. and Aqua teen cosmetics.
>>
>>335077084

Says the american

American football is dumber than curling
>>
>>335077276
>That game would introduce an overpowered gun, sell it for $10, and 2 weeks later nerf it and add another even worse gun

Question

No one in blizzard stated they would be making heroes pay to play. The main designer said it would be really stupid, but is there any proof they won't actually do this? Like make a hero, have them be stupid OP, sell it and after everyone buys 4 copies nerf it into the ground?

Like I don't trust blizzard AT ALL.
>inb4 they said they won't
Is there any way to know they won't?
Like could you get a refund if they changed it?
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 512x512
>>335077626
>Not wanting to get physical
>Would rather gently punt the ball around instead of handling it like a man
Eurocucks everyone
>>
>>335077626
Well I'm not American so you're insulting the wrong crowd, but if it makes you feel any better, I didn't mean it as an insult
>>
>>335077907
>10 minutes of commercials after every other tackle

wow you guys are really tough

Also yes, finess and skill is a lot more interesting than brute force and constant interruptions
>>
>>335077845
Their fanbase will throw a hissyfit and not buy it?
Wanna know how to stop getting shit? Don't buy it. If the consumer is smart they'd know their being ripped of. So show them your feelings with your money. Don't give them money they get the message.

If the movie stinks, just don't go!
>>
>>335078395
>not buy it
They go f2p three months down the line to get more money after everyone bought it bought it.

then what?
>>
>>335070042
>>335067834
>References highlander and there will be blood
So you guys prefer the literal meme taunts?
>>
>>335078382
What is recording?
>>
>>335078496
Hard to say since this business practice is pretty new and it's unknown how we as the consumer can defend ourselves if the system is abused. As of now you can either complain about it to Blizzard and demand for people who have payed for the game before release get some special treatment to compensate or if you believe it to be the case wait for three months to see what happens.
>>
>>335079005
Honestly I think if I say.

Hey can you guarantee me a refund if the game goes f2p. If they say anything but yes I can just not buy it.

If they're that confident they would lose nothing by saying yes.
>>
>>335079216
They'll probably give you a hat instead like in TF2.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.