[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Never played any previous iterations of this series, but I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (457 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
457 KB, 1920x1080
Never played any previous iterations of this series, but I've beaten the game on Normal and currently going through it again on Challenge Mode.

This game is really good, it feels very video gamey, in the good way. It doesn't take itself too seriously because it isn't supposed to, it feels very classic while still feeling modern at the same time, and the graphics are gorgeous, not to mention the writing is pretty good too, a lot of the characters are given, well, actual character, except for maybe one or two here and there, specifically Cora and Elaris, who aren't bad, but they're not very memorable to me, but that's just my personal opinion.

If I had to nitpick, and I suppose this isn't that much of a nitpick and actually has some importance, and say that there was an aspect of the game I didn't like, it'd probably have to be the music. Not that it's bad, but its just not very good or memorable either, I never heard a track and felt that I'd be humming it later. Again, my personal opinion.

The weapons are all pretty fun, with the exception of maybe the Combuster, which is just kinda your standard firearm, but again, if I had to say something I didn't like, it'd have to be the fact that the Bouncer was a Pre-Order bonus. I pre-ordered the game, and while I had a whole lot of fun using that weapon, I felt I was really only using it alone, just because of how overpowered it was, but also because I enjoyed using it, so I feel a bit conflicted about it in general. I think it should have been in the game to begin with, and it's a bit unfair in a way.

Now onto the gameplay. While I thought it was definitely enjoyable, there were some parts where I felt it kinda ruined the pace, specifically the parts where you control Ratchet, due to his limited movement and weaponry, and his parts are either running away from an enemy, or solving a puzzle.

Overall, I think the game is fantastic, with two or three issues here and there, that thankfully don't overstay their welcome.
>>
>>334998852
I didn't like it
>>
>>334998852
you know it's kind of refreshing to hear someone actually talking about a game on /v/ instead of the endless shitposting. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I've always loved the ratchet and clank games
>>
>>334998852
>Now onto the gameplay. While I thought it was definitely enjoyable, there were some parts where I felt it kinda ruined the pace, specifically the parts where you control Ratchet, due to his limited movement and weaponry, and his parts are either running away from an enemy, or solving a puzzle.

I think you meant Clank, and yeah his parts always suck
>>
>>335000105
They weren't too bad in ACiT
>>
>>335000105
Yeah, I was talking about Clank, sorry about that. I wrote over 2000 characters and might have deleted that part and rewrote it.
>>
i haven't played it yet, but i liked reading your thoughts. I played the fuck out of the PS2 ones, so I may check it out eventually. Bumping cause its not shitposting
>>
>>334998852
My overall experience is great. My only complaint is it needs a specific main menu button to skip Clank puzzles and a better health system as it didn't feel as challenging as I was hoping for. Overall I wish there were more games like Ratchet and clank. It felt like a video game without an over saturation of realism.
>>
>>334998852
>and say that there was an aspect of the game I didn't like, it'd probably have to be the music. Not that it's bad, but its just not very good or memorable either, I never heard a track and felt that I'd be humming it later.
You sould listen to the original games soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07yF3JMQ0AQ
>>
I played one or two of the games on PS3. Will I dig this game??
>>
>>335001185
It's a pretty easy game to get into, and because it's a reboot (There's a great joke about that by the way) it's easy to get into the story, too, so I'd imagine.
>>
>>334998852
>it feels very video gamey, in the good way
There other ways where "videogamey" can be bad?

You sound like PS4 is literally your first gaming device
>>
>>335001667
Occasionally it can feel very forced, especially when it has a lot of referential humor, but this one has it come naturally to the world and it doesn't feel like you're being pulled out of it every few minutes.
>>
>>334998852
I actually really liked the Clank sections, they were nice little puzzle segments that weren't too hard but still tricky enough that you feel good when everything falls into place.
>>
>>335001667
Why do you have to be a cock because someone liked a game you didn't play?
>>
>>335003160
The Trespasser puzzles were the worst puzzles
>>
>>335003472
I can agree to that.
>>
>>335004732
Pretty much all of them were awful and tedious, especially most of the later ones that are so fucking confusing, but I didn't Autohack or look at a guide because I wanted to do it myself. I think I might just look at a guide to them on my next playthrough.
>>
>>334998852
Longtime series fan. As a standalone game it is great, but as a "remake" it leaves much more to be desired. Most of the weapons are re-used from recent games and very few fan favorites from the original returned. Compared to the original, it has a worse story, worse weapons, less levels, worse music (all four of the PS2 games had fantastic music), and lower frame-rate which is a shame. Beautiful graphics and smooth gameplay make it a decent buy however
>>
>No arena
What a stain on an otherwise great game.
>>
The strafing alone makes it a much, MUCH better game than the original.

R&C1 is a good game, but it's one of those games that's absolutely impossible to go back to after playing the sequels.
>>
>>335005591
There was no arena in 1
>>
>>334998852
>it feels very video gamey
You know it's a sad day for gaymen when this is a legit pro point.
>>
>>335008170
There was no future weapons or dr nefarious either
>>
I thought this was a so-so addition to the series. As a R&C game alone it's pretty good, but as a total reboot from the original, it was really pushing between mediocre and okay.

I'm getting real sick of GrummelNet weapons, and now that they're canon to this reboot including The Bouncer as Gadgetron, I can tell it's not going to end here. The ratio of classic to future to original weapons is sad, especially when you know all of R&C1's exist in the Insomniac Muesuem, collecting dust.

The game has it's fair share of glitches and slight oversights in gameplay. Texture popins for crates in weird camera angles, out of bounds zones not working half the time and leaving you stuck in mid-landing animation or through walls, no one shuts up in this game and pretty much handholds you in your bolt/raritanium allocation.

The modernization of controls, enemy AI and combat, and some of the planets were great ideas, makes the original a little less bearable to play with dated graphics and controls. Game IS damn fucking gorgeous at times, Batalia turned into one of my favorite redesigns in vidya ever.
>>
>>335009150 (cont.)
OST is more heavy on the orchestra section but goes Skrillex tier every third planet, a real turn off compared to the original. As far as sound design goes, it's not too bad. I'd like them to tone down dialogue by a notch though, I don't need comments on my ammo, gun choice, or health every 2 minutes.

Story is really pushing the Nefarious bit, he wasn't introduced until the last game of the original trilogy, I don't see why add him now. A couple nods and gestures to later titles would've been fine though, the mention of Megacorp and Protopet made me smirk a little, if only they did the same with Deadlocked and UYA. Since I haven't seen the movie, I don't know if the Q-Force/Galactic Rangers in addition to original characters was a good thing, but I can't stand for Cora's rather wooden performance. They could also try a little harder in in-game cutscenes, they look like fucking puppets loosely syncing words together.
>>
>>335009559
They ruined drek, it doesn't reveal why he's destroying planets until way later
>>
>>335009559 (cont.)
Still a great game, just was kinda hoping a little more, maybe the fact it's a tie-in to the movie hindered it's potential a real legit R&C reboot.

>>334998852
I wanna suggest either you get a PS2 emulator and play the original trilogy plus Deadlocked or get a PS3 and play all those games mentioned in their HD ports. Totally worth it. And the Future trilogy isn't bad either, give the a go too if you like after all that.
>Bouncer was a Pre-Order bonus
My guess they were iffy about bring R&C2: GC's fan favs than saving it for a sequel. It's considerably way more OP than in GC and UYA, as if it was a push circle to win button, I didn't have to use a devastator or a RYNO when I can just launch a maxed out Bouncer.
>>335009765
I thought they jumped the gun, I found out way more sooner than I should have. And by getting rid of the tense and hostile relationship between Ratchet and Clank anymore, there was little to no room for character development.
>>
>>335010098
>And by getting rid of the tense and hostile relationship between Ratchet and Clank anymore, there was little to no room for character development.
They just become good friends all of the sudden and clank doesn't talk too much throughout the game.
>>
>>335010248
I introduced my little brother to this series over the years, the reboot blew his mind. But he doesn't remember a god damn thing of the original plot and character relations. I showed him this and not just the gameplay, graphics, but Ratchet and Clank's character made night and day for him.
https://youtu.be/qXF-46KfYz0
>>
>>335010442
Even the games where he wasn't an asshole like GC UYA and the future series he had more personality than he did in the reboot
>>
I played and loved the pay games. Just got ps3. Are the ps3 ratchet and clank fun and worth it. If so which ones do I avoid on ps3
>>
>>335010887
Just avoid all for one and full frontal assault
>>
>>335010887
>>335010098
>>
>>334998852
>improve and streamline everything
>hoverboarding is still the worst fucking thing, AND you still need to do it twice

goddamn insomniac why do you hate my hands? i got bronze on rilgar after like 30 tries and i'm in no hurry to touch silver/gold

fuck that noise
>>
>>334998852
I've just recently managed to get past the first few planets of the game for once on the original Ratchet and Clank 1.

When thefuck does the game start? It feels like it's been TRYING to build something up but I'm on the Gemlik base and I think that's one of the end levels?

It just feels like this game starts slow and never really builds anything up.
>>
>>334998852
I thought the Insomniac Museum was nice this time around, but ACIT is still the best Ratchet game hands down, and probably always will be
>>
>>335011384
You fight qwark at the gemlik base it's not the last
Level
>>
Is this game pretty easy to get into? My brothers turning 11 next week and it looks like a great game for kids
>>
>>335011470
Hmm, I feel like it's at least at the 3/4 point. It feels like I've put enough time into the game to be at least 3/4ths the way through the game, but at the same time I don't really feel like much has happened in that timeframe.

Is it just a weird quirk of the game's design or something?
>>
>>335010943
Do I buy into the nexus and the Pirates boots one
>>
>>335011723

The first game (and GC, to an extent) is kinda all over the place in terms of plot.

>>335011798

Yes.
>>
>>335003412
He never questioned the game, he just questioned that retarded sentence.

>>335002078
Then it's the story part that's bad, not the videogamy one.
>>
>>334998852
as a ratchet fan who has beaten every game, heres my pros and cons

PRO
>decent selection of weapons, new mixed with old
>gameplay is as good as ever, no gimmicks
>graphics are boner-inducing
>substantially longer than i was expecting, felt at least three times longer than ITN
>full of love and care with cute details scattered around for longtime fans
>some hints at a remake of Going Commando next ("PREORDER YOUR PROTOPET TODAY!")

CONS
>story is completely fucked. the original made a lot more sense, and some things just feel crammed in.
>the whole point about qwark being the spokesperson for drek's new planet, the entire reason for his betrayal, is completely dropped
>drek himself is just garbage. whereas before he was sinister and menacing, now he's a bright and cheerful dude zipping around on a scooter.
>the music is so quiet you can hardly hear it, when theres any playing at all
>FUCK HOVERBOARDING. untouched from PS2 and exactly as rage-inducing as before, except they forgot to add a fucking Restart race button like PS2 had so it's even more tedious. the one thing i did not miss from the original
>character redesigns are ... weird. everyone feels so much milder than usual, even Pokitaru guy was swapped with Grim in a hawaiian shirt for some reason??

overall it's still an 8/10 on gameplay alone
>>
They reuse the same enemies and a lot of them have the same attacks
>>
>>335004856
Just use autohack for your next playthrough, you should have already got the trophy so who give a shit.
>>
>>335011693
Yes, it's a great entry point.
>>
You're right the music is pure ass compared to the original. They should've hired the composer from the first few games again, i listened to an interview with him once, nice french guy, i forget his name.
>>
>>335011693
They are easy to get into but are by no means kids games when it comes to gameplay. R&C games (or at least the originals) are notorious for pushing your shit in during the late game. The remake is no different. While the game itself is as simple as the original it still follows the same trend of every R&C game and that's the final level requires you to git gud. Oh and the Hoverboard races are a pain sometimes.
>>
>>334998852
>I felt I was really only using it alone, just because of how overpowered it was, but also because I enjoyed using it, so I feel a bit conflicted about it in general. I think it should have been in the game to begin with, and it's a bit unfair in a way.
I agree, it's basically a panic-weapon for me at this point. the "i need everything around me dead right now" gun
>>
>>335001017
don't forget Gemlik Base
>>
>>335011693
OP here, for me personally, I'm 21, and it was very easy to get into, but maybe that's just because of experience.
>>
File: 1460953079480.jpg (92 KB, 470x290) Image search: [Google]
1460953079480.jpg
92 KB, 470x290
>ship segment on Kerwan introduces the Mag Boosters
>assume the other ship segments will incorporate them somehow
>Mag Boosters aren't used at any other point in the game except the cutscene before the final boss
>>
>>335000179
Clank copies puzzles are great, but the platforming isn't particularly great.
>>
>>334998852
>it feels very video gamey
kill yourself
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.