[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is the better game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 12
File: CR-VS-FF.jpg (40 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
CR-VS-FF.jpg
40 KB, 640x360
Which is the better game?
>>
File: ragnarandhealie_zps73c21e68.jpg (33 KB, 500x584) Image search: [Google]
ragnarandhealie_zps73c21e68.jpg
33 KB, 500x584
>>334987158
chrono trigger is to easy and final fantasy is just plain boring. pic related is the superior franchise
>>
Trigger is a little better just because of the cast. I feel ff6 goes to shit for me when everyone starts to learn magic.
>>
>>334987158

Chrono Trigger.

RPGs were so robust in the SNES-era that I wouldn't even consider FF6 as top 3. But that's more of a testament to the robustness of the SNES.
>>
File: FFVII Junon Old Ad.jpg (93 KB, 1024x678) Image search: [Google]
FFVII Junon Old Ad.jpg
93 KB, 1024x678
>>334987158
>Either of those two.

Loving every laugh.
>>
>>334987158

not sure which is better, but CT is more fun.
>>
Gotta go with Chrono Trigger. I'm one of the people who call Final Fantasy VI overrated (it's still great, but there are better games in the series), but I think CT is legitimately one of the best JRPGs of all-time.
>>
I still play Chrono Trigger on my red 3DS XL handheld, every few weeks I like to mess around in it.
>>
>>334988059
Everyone learning magic really makes terra and celes feel a lot less special than they should be.
>>
FF6 allows to impose challenging runs like low magic/level runs, but CT flows better on a regular or 100% run.
>>
I enjoyed FF6 more than CT, but I think CT is a bit better game overall.

>>334987290
I will never understand the appeal of Dragon Quest.
>>
I think CT is better because it's a lot easier to just pick up and play. Most FF games feel like a commitment to go through again. FFV being an exception due to how amazing it's Job system is and the lighthearted tone.
>>
File: Secretofmana.jpg (255 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Secretofmana.jpg
255 KB, 1920x1080
>>334987158

Secret of Mana blows them both away. Too bad we never got 3, and the IP has since wasted away.
>>
Chrono Trigger is, in my mind, far superior. Of all the qualities that make a JRPG great, I'd say FFVI inches out ahead in customization of team abilities and equipment. Neither Trigger nor Cross were as vastly deep as their competitors.

But Trigger has an incredible plot, and I can't help but feel VI's has aged rather poorly comparatively.
>>
>>334989250
>Secret of Mana blows them both away
Even when playing solo?
>>
>>334989169
DQ has a lot of attention to detail. Usually NPCs have different things to say in every situations, which makes it easy to dive right back in after taking a break. Also, a lot of items have more than just one use. For example, in DQ5, you get a bunch of story based items that you can use in combat to nerf enemies.
>>
Rank the games anons, Earthbound series, FF series, chrono (series?) dragon quest series, and why not secret of mana series. Go
>>
File: chrono_trigger_cross-1565476.jpg (453 KB, 3840x1200) Image search: [Google]
chrono_trigger_cross-1565476.jpg
453 KB, 3840x1200
>>334987158
Chrono Trigger by a country mile. All Final Fantasy ever had going for it is its story, which isn't even that good, and the graphics.
>>
>>334989957
Chrono
Dragon Quest
Final Fantasy
Earthbound/Mother

I never played Secret of Mana so no comment.
>>
>>334989250
They made a new one and it's not that shit
>>
>>334989169
>I will never understand the appeal of Dragon Quest.

It's a lot more consistent than the wildly fluctuating clusterfuck that is Final Fantasy.
>>
>>334989169

Dragon Quest is sort of a game based on context at this point. If you played it when it was "warrior," you might respond to it better because a game like 4 was pretty ahead of its time.

Or if you started with 8, when it let you have the freedom that FF10 lacked.

But a lot of people didn't fall into the series when it was doing things right, and it's a game that's stuck to its formula pretty much forever.
>>
>>334989250

SD3 sucked. I know a lot of people love it, but most people liked it because it never actually released outside of Japan. It's supposed to have branching plots, but it will tie things up without resolution depending on your character choices, and the repetition of boss battles by the end of the game simply wears its welcome out.

And SoM isn't really that much better. SoM has a really magical start to the game, but the mid-to-late parts really lose a sense of wonder.
>>
I played FFVI when I was 13 and enjoyed it enough to finish it. I played Chrono Trigger when I was 20 and couldn't stand anything about it, the art, the combat, the sound, it all made me want to vomit, and I dropped it five hours in. I completely lost my taste for JRPGs over the course of high school. I probably would have liked Chrono Trigger if I played it way back when, but I'll never know.
>>
>>334990428
I first played the original "Dragon Warrior." Then I had nothing to do with the series all the way up until DQ8. I've since at least briefly tried most of the main-line games and a few spinoffs.

I actually enjoyed the original. It has an element of tension in its exploration that all of the sequels lack. Light is a limited resource in the dungeons, and there is little indication of how deep they might go. You also don't have a whole party to work with, just a single vulnerable character.

I disliked very nearly everything about DQ8 other than the monster arena. I stuck with it for a long while due to how highly regarded it is, but nothing ever really shifted my opinion. I think the only PS2 RPG I enjoyed less is Magna Carta (which is complete garbage.)

The others I've tried mostly seemed better than 8, but still not interesting enough to actually play through. Nothing stands out about them; it's as though the developers put time and effort into ensuring the games provide the most stereotypical JRPG experience possible.
>>
>>334989543
bump
>>
>>334992187

The original is really clunky. I beat it a few times as a kid, but I can't play it now. But it does hold a sort of weird place in my heart, like the original FF.

DQ8, til a certain point in the late game, encompassed a lot of what I wanted from the DQ series (large world, well done 3D, streamlined classes, and music I enjoyed). But, you're right, DQ has always stuck to its guns, which means it doesn't have the potential to bring in new people if they don't like the initial experience. But while most diehard fans really love DQ7, I really never enjoyed it. So, some of these things aren't for everyone.

>>334991579
>I played Chrono Trigger when I was 20 and couldn't stand anything about it
>the sound

The best part of that game was the soundtrack, though.
>>
Final Fantasy. It was my first JRPG so maube I'm biased but it hit so many high notes for me that chrono trigger never did. Not that either game isn't fucking elder god tier but personaly liked ff6 better
>>
>>334987290
>Toriyama artstyle

That alone is a turn-off for me when everyone looks like Gohan, Trunks, or Bulma.
>>
Chrono trigger

there both awesome games though
>>
CT is better. FF6 is a brilliant game but the time travel theme from CT beats FF6's whatever the fuck that was theme.

>>334989169
Me too. They're just ok. I get that people just want a generic RPG and don't want the formula to be fucked with, but they're boring.
>>
DQV > both
>>
I liked 6 more, though I will praise CT on its innovations

CT brought new things but 6 perfected the 2D jrpg
>>
>>334987158
CT abso-fucking-lutely, FF6 has a shitload of content for the purpose of having a shitload of content, almost all of it is poorly balanced to the point where a player paying even minor attention to the game will break it one way or another, and it's much easier than CT.
>>
>>334989163
>FF6 allows to impose challenging runs like low magic/level runs
Neither of which are much harder than a normal playthrough.
>>
Chrono Trigger is objectively better. That\s generally accepted as fact by everyone.
>>
I love them both but my vote goes to Zombies Ate My Neighbors.
Theme of this post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CZCKP-H4C8
>>
I like both but I think FF6 is a lot better than CT. I'd even put FF5 above it.
>>
>>334987158
I personally like Trigger more but VI is also really good.
Both kinda drop off towards the end but Trigger way less so thanks to no multiple party bullshit.
>>
>>334993423
Still better than Amano's Korean trannies.
>>
File: 1444058942905[1].jpg (125 KB, 550x280) Image search: [Google]
1444058942905[1].jpg
125 KB, 550x280
>>334987158
>>
>>334996142
You came to the wrong thread, BOY.
>>
File: good morning crono.jpg (36 KB, 333x333) Image search: [Google]
good morning crono.jpg
36 KB, 333x333
>>334995717
Good thing Amano's art is never actually used outside of concept art and promotional material, unlike Toriyama's extreme case of sameface.
>>
So, best version of DQ4 is Android version?
No way to play it in horizontal orientation?
>>
>>334996142
It is a shame that Phantasy Star 4 is so often overlooked compared to practically every SNES RPG. It's a great game.
>>
Bow Down.
>>
>>334987158
I like Final Fantasy 6 better than Trigger, story is more developed and gameplay was more interesting, albeit not by much.

I feel as though RPGs didn't really hit full stride until the PS1, where we got a whole load of incredible games.
>>
Lufia II is better than both
>>
>>334997062
Suikoden 1 was pretty average as a whole, but served as a precursor to the fantastic sequels. Shame the series went off the deep end after 3.
>>
File: Amano Sm4sh.png (563 KB, 1057x1457) Image search: [Google]
Amano Sm4sh.png
563 KB, 1057x1457
>>334996906
>Good thing Amano's art is never actually used outside of concept art and promotional material

And thank god for that.
>>
I still have my Chrono Trigger cart, but I liked Final Fantasy 6 better. Actually, I played that game from start to finish repeatedly. Chrono trigger maybe three or four times to find endings and the NG+ made it easy, but it wasn't as engaging.
>>
>>334997560
Suikoden 5 might not have progressed the timeline, but it was still a pretty good game.

4 is the only game in the series that really isn't worth playing (excluding the spinoffs.)
>>
>>334990196
Same here, except I would put Chrono as a series under FF
If it was just Trigger, then it belongs on top
>>
>>334997964
Cross's story and characters may have been shit but it by far has the best OST in the history of Square. The graphics are pretty good for PS1 as well.
>>
>>334998051
I agree but those can't carry a game
>>
>>334996906
>tfw I prefer nomura's art to amano's, but everyone constantly sucks his dick
>>
>>334988873
Chrono Trigger is overrated as fuck.
>>
>>334997873
Holy fuck, IV. Seriously the most disappointing gaming experience in my entire life.
>>
>>334987158
FFVI has better atmosphere, better characters, more build customization, and a (limited) 2-Player feature.

Clearly FFVI > CT.
>>
>>334998446
Nomura gets a lot of flak for his belts and zippers fetish, but he's not that bad at drawing people aside from FF7 when he for some reason drew hilariously exaggerated proportions for most of the characters.
>>
>>334998446
That's how art works, anon. Now go hail a fucking picture of a soup can.
>>
>>334998218
The gameplay wasn't that bad either. It was on par with typical Final Fantasy, just not at the level of Trigger.
>>
>>334998793
even then, he's really toned down the belts and zippers since kingdom hearts 2.
>>
>>334987158
Breath of Fire
but anyways CT shits on FF6...not even close
>>
Considering that Chrono Trigger is not a very good game even on an overall scale, it can't really measure up individually with a game that is actually decent. I hated XIII-2 and it was still a better time travel game than CT was. If you want to play a real game of this genre, just play Radiant Historia, though.
>>
>>334998695
>and a (limited) 2-Player feature.
Lol I didn't know such thing exist
>>
While I've only played Chrono Trigger to the end I'm going to go with that because I keep getting bored while playing FFVI and can't motivate myself to finish.
Chrono Trigger I couldn't put down once I started.
>>
>>334998874
I thought it was above Trigger, was a way more ambitious product, but understandably alienated the older fans. Found the story WAY more interesting, and the gameplay actually had the customization that Trigger lacked.
>>
File: terranigma-wlp1-1024x768.jpg (305 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
terranigma-wlp1-1024x768.jpg
305 KB, 1024x768
>>334989250
>not posting the superior action rpg
>>
>>334998902
>Breath of Fire
You have good taste.
>>
>>334998919
If you think the shit story is what makes a game then sure. VI played just the same as any other JRPG from that era, at least CT tried bringing something new to the table.

>XIII-2
>better than anything

I know that after XIII itself even diarrhea would be acceptable but XIII-2 was not a good game at all.
>>
>>334999024
>he never co-oped with a friend/relative
You can assign control of units between the 2 controllers during combat, usually giving 2 to 1P and the other 2 to 2P.
>>
>>334996906
I honestly find this the most hilarious image. It's so true it hurts.
Even the fucking sun looks like Vegeta
>>
>>334998446
Amano has an interesting and unique style and a great use of colour but it's still not really... nice? I would be hesitant to get his art book but Nomura or Akihiko yoshida would get my money.
>>
>>334999138
The XIIIs were legitimately a terrible series and -shouldn't- be better than anything, I agree, but I stand by my statement that even that dogshit waifupandering simulator is still better than CT.
>>334999117
4 >= 3 ~= 2 fan trans > 1 > absolute shit > 2 official trans
>>
>>334999138
I genuinely enjoyed FF13-2. It was better than 13 by a fair bit. It gave me hope that Square was on an upswing with that series but then it fell on it's face into horse shit with 13-3. I can't believe I got that stupid game on release day.
>>
>>334999117
Breath of Fire I's soundtrack is the best JRPG soundtrack I've heard
Gotta love based Bun Bun
>>
>>334999391
>dogshit waifupandering simulator is still better than CT.
stop baiting already you contrarian faggot
>>
File: 1457244372451.gif (454 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1457244372451.gif
454 KB, 500x500
>>334992187
Exactly the same here, though I played DW 1 and 2 on the Gameboy when it was ported to it/ I didn't like it that much as I found it hard since I was a kid, and the first-person battles alienated me since I jumped into RPGs with FFVII. I thought DQVIII was going to be fucking marvelous, and like all DQs it's a huge grindfest. I hated almost all of it, though when I remember it I think of it a bit fondly.

I guess I just don't like classic JRPG gameplay like that. It's never really been endearing to me.
>>
>>334999790
BoF overall had an amazing soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GsxAmsvBrc
>good start
>suddenly, fucking 1:38 hits
>>
>>334999903
Legitimate opinion is not baiting. Just call me retarded and get it over with, I'd rather be an idiot than a pretend idiot.
>>
>>335000052
Why would I need to do that when you're clearly admitting it yourself?

Lightning FF is shit
CT is a masterpiece of the genre
>>
>>334987290
>Grind and grind the videogame
>superior than anything

There is a reason shit is casual tier in japan.
>>
>>334999974
>tfw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9bO4NEiSvs
>>
>>334999103
Aside from unbalanced stats everything else is great.
>Bloody Mary
>>
>>335000265
I want to replay it again now, but I've already played it through about 4 times and I'm not sure I have it in me to grind in order to beat the Demon in the stone golem again, if that were slightly further in the game it would have been tolerable but bashing your head against his empty HP bar for over an hour even after grinding for 5+ hours was suffering, and you didn't have any interesting cast members/skills yet at that point either so it was just autoattack everything tier.
>>
File: janus_and_alfador.png (311 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
janus_and_alfador.png
311 KB, 1024x640
Toriyama creates the best characters
>>
>>335000665
I agree anon

Lightning is certainly the best girl
>>
>>334998695
>FFVI has better atmosphere, better characters, more build customization, and a (limited) 2-Player feature.

then why is CT more fun than VI?
>>
>faggots recommending their favorite games instead of answering op's question
Chrono Trigger is easily superior:
-battle system
-story
-cast
-antagonist
-sprite detail and animation

FF6 feels like it's 2 years behind CT in development and innovation.
>>
>>335000931
>battle system
granted
>story
no
>cast
NO
>antagonist
probably true
>sprite detail and animation
granted

In the end, preference for story vs. gameplay will decide which is better, and for me story and character buildup is much more important.
>>
>triggerniggers
>>
>>335001161
Crono > Terra
>>
>>335001284
>Final Faggots
>>
>>335000610
Really dude? You're having trouble with BoFI of all games?
You don't really need to grind on the game

Do you have the Earth Key? Use that in battle it's always 30 points damage
Do you have your Dragon Forms? Use those
Have Nina heal and have Bo attack too

I think it takes a while but it's not really hard...like it's nowhere near BoF2's brutal difficulty
>>
>>335001824
I don't give a fuck about her, she's one of the most generic and boring members of the entire cast and her backstory is barely of interest other than strictly because of the fact that it is of moderate importance to the main storyline; saying that she is a boring character should be obvious.
>>
Ryan is that you?
>>
>>335000481
You can literally kill her by doing the sliding dash thing over and over and abusing i-frames...it takes so damn long tho

>everything else is great
that fucking stupid shit where you have to tell Bell or what's his name about his girl having an affair with a nigger...god fucking dammit I lied to him once and he didn't develop the phone for me...JUST!!!!
>>
>>334999974
I will finish IV one of these days. I really enjoyed III and I started IV but life happened and I put it down for 6 months. I need to restart it but just don't have time.
>>
>>335001992
I never said it was hard, I said it was tedious.
Also, I don't think you even get a dragon form by that point in the game, and if you do it's only the base 3, I can't remember when you get them.
He doesn't hit hard enough to actually kill you, he just has so much HP for where he's at in the game, I'd say he has ~3rd to 4th biggest over HP variable compared to his normal HP in the entire game.
>>
>>334998695
>more build customization
Spells aren't build customization and FF6's stats are fucking terribly balanced, which isn't true for CT and its tabs. Out of all of the stats you can get from Espers, literally only Magic Power matters.
>>
>>334989169

Same here.

>>334990342

I like that aspect about the DQ games, always have respected them for that. It's just not a formula I particularly enjoy.
>>
>>335002274
Yeah...I think most of the bosses are that way
But it's ok I just sit there being comfy and taking my turns

Which reminds me...it makes me laugh how easy the final boss is
>turn into Agni
>enter auto-attack mode
>Agni and Tyr(Myria) attack each-other back and forth
>wait till you're about to run out of HP
>get out of auto-battle mode
>use item to replenish your HP
>enter auto-mode again
>rinse and repeat

It's such an underwhelming boss that it's hilarious
>>
>>334987158
FF6
>>
Lufia 2 master race.
>tfw not knowing the ending because I never played the first game
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.