[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would this still apply with the addition of the 8th generation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 5
File: controllers chart 7th gen.jpg (64 KB, 486x611) Image search: [Google]
controllers chart 7th gen.jpg
64 KB, 486x611
Would this still apply with the addition of the 8th generation controllers?
>>
obvuiously not you fucking cunt
>>
you'd have to change the text of the dual shock to "if it's broken, try to fix it eventually".

the rest still applies
>>
>>334956927
>Doesn't matter if it's broke, don't fix it.
>>
>>334956927
Each company had their peak with
>snes controller
>dualshock 1/2
>The duke

Fuck gamecube, wii, fuck the various new controllers
theyre all built to die on you if you are a real gamer who uses it and its expensive.
>>
File: WiiUPro.jpg (73 KB, 1500x1096) Image search: [Google]
WiiUPro.jpg
73 KB, 1500x1096
>>334956927

>DS4 is poor quality and has a bunch of useless shit features

>Xbone Controller is just garbage, the 360 pad isn't the best, but it's a fucking great all round general use controller, fuck knows why they felt they needed to fuck it up.

>Wii U Gamepad has a fucking terrible battery life, lacks basic features like being able to easily turn it off completely whilst you use other controllers and is just otherwise gimmicky garbage.

Thank fuck for pic related, only decent controller this gen.
>>
1. As it turns out, what ain't broke can still be obsolete.

2. That very little improvement turned out to be a step back.

3. literally what innovation
>>
>>334957392
>the duke
No, also;
>if you're a real gamer
Die
>>
>>334957156
Sony
>if you don't fix it, share it with your friends on social media, Twitch and Facebook
M $
>we'll improve it so much we'll charge you literally $200 for it
Nintendo
>kids like tablets, just put a tablet in there (controller sold separately)
>>
>>334957405
>DS4
>Poor quality
I will agree that the light bar and touch pad are ultimately fucking pointless, but the share button is honestly the best new feature of this gen.
>>
>>334957550
You know nothing

I'll fucking live
>>
>>334956927
>Xbox controllers improving
>That D-Pad
I get that a lot of games don't use it, but fuck I end up playing games that do and it's such shit.

It makes me put 360 controllers in bottom tier next to the N64
>>
>>334957584

The sticks are utter rubbish.
>>
>>334957584
> but the share button is honestly the best new feature of this gen
It's just the "Prt Sc" button for a console
>>
>>334957405
>glossy surface
So close to perfect, and they had to go fuck it up

Also
>digital triggers
but I feel that's a debatable point
>>
>>334957584
Not him but that's probably not what he means about poor quality, the small 1000mAH battery and the thumbsticks that wear out after intense usage is a common problem with the DS4 in terms of quality
>>
I like the share button on the PS controller, and I like the gamepad for the times I want to play a game but either don't want to be on or don't currently have access to a TV. Can literally just plug it in anywhere and play smash or any other game, pretty nice.
>>
Anyone else get a hori pad? It's pretty damn comfy
>>
Im using xbone pad now its godtier
>muh comfortable sticks
>muh sexy buttons
>muh dpad
>much overall look
I bet elite is even better, someone confirm or smth
>>
>>334957997
DS4 is garbage
>>
>>
>>334958823
JUST
>>
>>334957997
Yes, the ds is shit. 4 is actually pretty nice but it's still lacking.
>>
>>334957759
>digital triggers
>up to a debate
Analog can work on a 0/1 basis, digital doesn't. Analog is straight up better. The only thing debatable is that Wii U doesn't have any racing games, so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>334957405
I don't get the love for the 360 controller. It's shit for anything apart from like modern AAA games. And it feels cheap as fuck.
>>
>>334959007
>Analog can work on a 0/1 basis, digital doesn't
But that's exactly what digital does though, you've either got a 0 (not pressed) or 1 (pressed) which is really all you need for the vast majority of games - most games don't differentiate between "slight pull of the trigger" and "squeezing the life out of the damn thing" so the pressure sensitivity of analog isn't something that's sorely missed. Racing games and a select few shooters are all I can think of that actually need that feature to work, and like you said the Wii U isn't exactly overflowing with either.
>>
>>334957405
I feel like they could have done more with the DS4's touch pad. Also The fact that good ol' start and select are replaced with options and share triggers me into oblivion.

I can honestly say I've never liked Xbox controllers. I need my joysticks on the same level. The only one I was ever able to use was the mini, and I've got fat fucking hands.

I actually like the gamepad. You can get a better battery for it (or just play with it plugged in) and you can actually turn off the screen on it pretty easily. That and gyroscope controls are great. God I hope they expand on gyro controls, maybe with some real FPS-style games.
>>
>>334959090
They can withstand a sledgehammer pretty well, but other than that, they're shit.
>>
>>334959575
Yeah I wanted to say that digital can't work on a 0 to 1 basis unlike analog being able to go 0/1. It's a sole reason I picked my PS3 controller over buying the Pro controller, even though I really liked the way it felt in my hand
>>
>>334958776
Accurate, but totally against the statement in >>334957156

Dualshock wasn't broken, until they "fixed" it with 4.
>>
I like the xbone controller. I think the ds4 is trash.

It was the opposite for me last gen
>>
>>334958994
FUCK
>>
Sony:
I hate the new placement of the Start/Select/Options/Nigger buttons, whatever. They're off to the side, and it sucks. However, the controller feels good to hold, but I can't say too much about the long-term build.

Xbone:
Better than the 3shitty controller, has a passable dpad, but I still hate the shoulder buttons. Elite is vastly overpriced for what is essentially a controller with buttons on the back. I haven't really used these more than once.

Nintendo:
I don't know anyone with a Wiiu. But the pad, while an interesting idea, has been mostly underused and seems like it'd be unwieldy for easy play.
>>
>>334960474
>But the pad, while an interesting idea, has been mostly underused
Entirely true. Mostly it does a good job for either off-screen play and maps/menus, which is really a pretty good use of an extra screen under most circumstances and is easy enough to add without making it feel tacked on. Off-screen play is nice too, and the gyro controls are actually really fucking tight, it's my favorite shooter control setup though I know most people still prefer M&K.
>seems like it'd be unwieldy for easy play
It's actually quite comfortable, the glossy surface and the short battery life are the biggest issues it has next to the triggers. Overall it's much better than I would've thought but I can see how it's not great for some people.
>>
>>334960221
ME
>>
>>334960893
>only comments on the wii u controller
Kill yourself.
>>
>>334960893
It seems like the kind of thing that would take up space on my chair just to put it down.
>>
>>334961049
Because I agree with the rest of his assessment and he had indicated it was the one he knew the least about you turbo-nerd, calm the fuck down.
>>
>>334959634
That elite model that came out later with adjustable d-pad and reworked triggers was pretty amazing though
>>
>>334961236
Fuck off nintendo autist.
>>
>>334959575
A PRESS IS A PRESS YOU CAN'T SAY IT IS A HALF
>>
>>334957405
>basically a copy of the Xbone controller

Such innovation.
>>
Anybody who does not think that the Dualshock 3 was a travesty and abomination has shit taste and needs to educate themselves.
>>
>>334956927
>No steam controller in innovation.
>>
>>334956927
>Dual Shocks 1-3 are good
This meme needs to die.
>>
>>334956927
Was there really anything innovative about the Gamecube controller? I mean, it's great for playing Smash on, but aside from that?
>>
>>334957405
It's not compatible with all games. Which automatically makes it way shittier than the DS4 or xbox controller
>>
>>334958776
>>334959982
You must have some seriously deformed hands if you think DS4 is worse than its predecessors.
>>
>>334961645
nothing. its a garbage controller

>stupid layout
>yellow nipple
>no l3 r3
>no l1
>DPAD too small
>triggers are squishy like a mans ass
>>
>>334957405
Does this shit at least have clickable thumbsticks?
>>
>>334961831
Protip: You hold a controller by cradling it in your fingers, not wrapping your greasy palmflesh around the handles.

Controller design has been ruined by people who never owned a NES and think that a controller is supposed to be a hand couch.
>>
>>334957405
The pro controller's stick placement ruins it.
>>
>>334962170
Lol yeah. The only downside, which isn't necessarily a downside is digital triggers. The Dpad is God tier though. Same with the 80hr battery life
>>
>>334962703
>downside is digital triggers
digital triggers are always superior unless you're playing a racing game
>>
>>334962703
The Vita dpad is superior.
>>
>>334962453
Get killed. For real.
>>
>>334957685
This. A good d-pad is needed in fightans, brawlers, and cuhrayzee games. Yes a fightstick is preferable to most people, but there is constancy with playstation controllers which is why they aren't rare to see even at a tourny.
>>
>>334956927
>implying the duke wasn't perfect to begin with.
>>
>>334962703
What about the battery life?
I'm thinking of buying to play Trackmania on my PC. It's a racing game, but it doesn't recognize analog acceleration (it's either on or off, no middle ground), so digital triggers are not an issue.
>>
>>334961831
DS2/3 had shoulder buttons where you could actually press both on one side without, and Start/Select is objectively superior to the stupid touch screen thing.
>>
>>334957405
To be fair, that controller is so good I'd say it makes up for the clusterfuck we're dealing with now.
>>
>>334957405
this, I REALLY fucking hope they stick with this for the NX

the battery life especially is god tier, I've had a WiiU for 3 years now and i've only charged that thing 7 or 8 times max, it's so good
>>
>>334963485
The battery life on the pro controller is like 80 hours on a full charge
>>
>>334963546
>DS2/3 had shoulder buttons where you could actually press both on one side
And so does the DS4.
>Start/Select is objectively superior to the stupid touch screen thing
Wrong. And stop using words you don't understand like "objectively".
Also do you even ergonomy? No, you don't.
>>
>>334961457
not him but fuck innovation

controllers have been standardized at this point, no need for stupid shit

the pro controller is my favorite controller of all time and it's nintendo not doing any stupid shit. They can copy for all I care, I'm idort anyway
>>
>>334963917
>ergonomy
see
>>334962453
You hold controllers like a woman.
>>
>>334956927
>If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is.
>There's always room for improvement (and price hikes).
>"Innovation requires taking risks" is what we'll tell our fans when they demand better.
>>
>>334963485
A fully charged pro controller lasts for 80 hours
>>
>>334963917
Triggers are OBJECTIVELY worse for LITERALLY every genre except shooters. Try playing a rhythm game with DS4's triggers. It's awful.
>>
>>334964335
Triggers are worse for shooters too because it adds physical input delay. The idea that it is somehow closer to using a firearm is absurd.
>>
>>334963485
I've charged it maybe 3 times over a year and half of owning it. I use it fairly often so it's not like it's never used.
>>
>>334963878
>>334964178
>>334964821
That's a lot.

I've been using my old DS3 since 2008 and aside from the triggers it's a damn good controller, but the battery stopped charging last month and I can't find a cheap replacement battery in my country.
RIP dualshock 3, the sturdiest controller I've ever had.

I think I will get a pro controller then, looks comfy too.
>>
>>334961796
>It's not compatible with all games.
Pretty much all but Rainbow Paintbrush are compatible.
>>
>>334958823
What game even needed this
>>
>>334962453
Protip: Later controllers were designed to rest in the palm as opposed to the fingers hence the handles.
>>
>>334965375
Phantasy Star Online.
>>
>>334963917
>Also do you even ergonomy? No, you don't.
The dualshock design is so far from being ergonomic it's not even funny.
Just remember anon, ergonomic =/= symmetrical.
>>
File: Can'tbeSerious.gif (289 KB, 177x177) Image search: [Google]
Can'tbeSerious.gif
289 KB, 177x177
>>334957392
I've had this gamecube controller since 2002 and it works as well as the day I bought it. I've gone through 10 Xbox 360 controllers since 2006 because the bumpers and analog sticks kept breaking like cheap glass. Nintendo's shit is built to last.
>>
>>334959090
That's all plebs from /v/ play anyway. You really think they tested it out playing Samurai Showdown or Mario Party?
>>
>>334963231
>A good d-pad is needed in fightans, brawlers, and cuhrayzee games

AKA dead genres.
>>
>>334966012
Only Brawlers are kinda dead
>>
>>334965896
>I've gone through 10 Xbox 360 controllers since 2006 because the bumpers and analog sticks kept breaking like cheap glass. Nintendo's shit is built to last.
I like the X360 controller, but this is annoying.
The sticks of my X360 controller started to loosen and I had to increase the dead zone in some games, after some time the clickable buttons in the sticks stopped working too.
I also had the same exact problem with the XBOne controller.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.