[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't Nintendo fund a few Western developers to create
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 11
File: nx-fake-logo.jpg (25 KB, 1200x674) Image search: [Google]
nx-fake-logo.jpg
25 KB, 1200x674
Why doesn't Nintendo fund a few Western developers to create some Western-oriented "mature" games?

Like an open-world shooter, a racing sim, sports games, an RTS or shit like that. Something that will appeal to PS4/Xbone owners in the US and Europe who buy shit like COD/Forza/AC etc and give them a reason to buy a Nintendo console.

Remember when Nintendo published shit like Goldeneye or those Ken Griffey Jr baseball games? Instead, these days they do mostly cartoony shit, the occasional Weeb-shit, and franchises that have been run into the fucking ground.
>>
Because most of the higher ups at Nintendo hate shooters and sports games.
>>
because all of those are gay nonsense and go against their image
>>
>>334940086
Yeah, it was pretty gay when Nintendo came out with the 64 a year after PS1, used cartridges that often resulted in $60-70 games, and still managed to retain the vast majrity of its US market share from SNES.
>>
>>334940031
They don't give a shit, they care about money.
>>
>>334940086
If they want to distance themselves from that shit then create a sub-brand for mature games so it doesn't have the Nintendo logo plastered all over it.

>>334940031
Okay, why doesn't Nintendo fire their higher-ups and get someone competent in charge?
>>
>>334939882
Apparently there is a rumor about Nintendo funding Beyond Good Evil

I think that Nintendo will fund or create games with other devs
>>
>>334940337
Because people still wouldn't buy them.
>>
>>334940583
>Nintendo funding sequel to obscure game nobody bought the first time round
Sounds plausible. Fucking Nintendo, man.

Give money to the people who made fucking Project Cars to make it an exclusive and find a dev who can create a competent gory mass-murder simulator.
>>
>>334940593
Well, no-one is buying the Wii U, so it can't exactly make shit much worse.
>>
>>334939882
>Why doesn't Nintendo fund a few Western developers to create some Western-oriented "mature" games?
There aren't many worth shit. Most decent to good studios are contracted under a publisher's banner. The only studio that may be available is like Insomniac.
>>
>>334940916
Devs are going bang all the time. They literally could have bought Evolution or some shit.

I'm sure someone like Codemasters or Sumo would be willing to take on independent contract work for Nintendo.
>>
>>334940741
>Give money to the people who made fucking Project Cars
No, fuck those guys. Codemasters would give 3x the value at the same price point.
>>
File: 1460467297763.png (162 KB, 284x346) Image search: [Google]
1460467297763.png
162 KB, 284x346
>>334939882
I wish they'd bring back F-Zero as their serious, competitive racing game. It's far different from the more casual Mario Kart so they wouldn't be competing with themselves, and definitely unique enough in the field of console racers.
>>
>>334939882
Because Western devs are all literal cucks and Western games suck massive amounts of ass.
>>
>>334941163
>They literally could have bought Evolution or some shit.
A said decent to good, not shit.
>>
>>334941215
>F-Zero
>serious
Only if they rebooted it Ninja Theory style for Americans.
>>
File: 3rd parties.png (241 KB, 1435x717) Image search: [Google]
3rd parties.png
241 KB, 1435x717
The answer you're looking for is probably not one you want to hear.
Remember also that Nintendo Europe was in talks with Critireon to make a F-Zero game but it fell through.
>>
>>334941215
F-Zero never sold well and that sort of arcade racing game is basically dead.

And resurrecting franchises and relying on "muh nostalgia" rather than creating new shit is half of Nintendo's problem. Stop recycling ideas and brands from 20 years ago and create something new and modern.
>>
>>334941374
I meant gameplay wise
>>
>>334941395
People who already own a PS4/Xbone aren't going to buy a new Nintendo console to play 3rd party games. You need exclusives.

I get Nintendo 1st party should not be an island, but they still need to put the effort in to attract that audience to their console.
>>
What if Nintendo made good Nintendo games? Maybe that's all it takes to get their audience back. What if they didn't make a gimmick console? Or what if their gimmick console wasn't a shitty Vita clone?
>>
>>334941556
Serious gameplay doesn't matter to western audiences, only visuals.
>>
>>334941395
Why doesn't Nintendo fund Criterion to create something good rather than digging up the rotting corpse of F-Zero?
>>
>>334941609
Because "their audience" is dwindling away and creating an AWESOME NEW MARIO GAME is not going to fix that.
>>
>>334941814
>Because "their audience" is dwindling away
Eh, they have a solid dedicated audience rather than relying on casuals. They give them more than a sustainable amount of money.

They aren't going anywhere.
That said Mario isn't that common.
>>
>>334939882
>racing sim
>sports games
Who even plays these?
>>
>>334941814
>and creating an AWESOME NEW MARIO GAME is not going to fix that.
Actually, it would. Mario is their flag ship and main attraction and that's never going to change. They can make something else to go with it, but its bad business to ignore Mario and every other company in the industry would agree.
>>
>>334941998
>Nintendo audience isn't the casual audience
Nigga you need to stop playing E games designed for 12 years old and assuming that's some kind of hard core gamer thing to do. Nintend is audience IS the casual audience, they're terrified of playing games that don't hold your hand or tell you you're a good boy still if you lose.
>>
>>334941215
They tried to get Critereon to make an F-Zero game for Wii U, but they were busy with something else.
>>
>>334939882
A good idea on paper, OP, but I don't think many Nintendo fans would buy those games, so if non-Nintendo fans didn't hop on board, they wouldn't sell at all.

The line between the demographics for Nintendo consoles and Sony/MS consoles is basically drawn between traditional/oldschool game design and photorealistic cinematic reality simulators with shiny graphics. There is some overlap here and there, but the future of gaming as defined by the Playstation/Xbox libraries is something I think many Nintendo fans don't want, and many Playstation/Xbox fans are alienated by Nintendo's "dated" principles.
>>
>>334942218
>they're terrified of playing games that don't hold your hand or tell you you're a good boy still if you lose.
Ironically there's more handholding in games like DaS than something like 3D world. The best part is that when you cheese with the easy mode power up it leave a mark of shame on that save.
>>
>>334939882

>like an open-world shooter, a racing sim, sports games, an RTS or shit like that. Something that will appeal to PS4/Xbone owners in the US and Europe who buy shit like COD/Forza/AC etc and give them a reason to buy a Nintendo console.

because casuals wouldn't buy a Wii U just for those games let alone watered down version compared the XBone/PS4 versions. they still see nintendo as the kiddie console and no amount of rebranding is going to change that regardless of the boom period of more mature games on nintendo consoles we had in the late 90s to early 00s
>>
>>334941998
Their solid dedicated audience is not big enough to sustain them. They can make moves to stem the bleeding and maximise revenue in the short term (e.g. not splitting development/audience between a handheld and home consoles, increased merchandising) but it's not a good long-term strategy. They need to expand their audience.

>>334942110
There are two good Mario games on the Wii U. Once everyone had a Wii, the Galaxy titles sold well, few people bought the system for Galaxy.

I mean, the 3DS was doing shit even with 3D Land out, it took Pokemon and Animal Crossing, which are probably Nintendo's two most relevant franchises, for it to gain any sales momentum.

(AND YES, THEY ARE GOOD GAMES, FUCK YOU)
>>
Because nintendo doesnt care about that audience. They only care about the audience that plays platformers.
>>
>>334939882
Do you really think anyone who likes those games is going to buy a Nintendo system anyway? They wouldn't be convinced.
>>
>>334942218
Modern gritty mature games are casual as fuck and ten times worse on hand-holding. At times you literally aren't even playing the game, just holding the analog stick forward or holding a button or two while watching your character do epic cinematic shit in pretty shaders.

Even when you cannot die or get a game over in a Nintendo game, you are still more engaged than some tripe like Assassin's Creed.
>>
>>334939882
But anon, there's nothing "mature" about video games.
>>
>>334939882
Nintendo is biased towards Japanese-style games and developers. Just look at how slow they were getting Minecraft.
>>
>>334941441

>And resurrecting franchises and relying on "muh nostalgia" rather than creating new shit is half of Nintendo's problem

then why is it that nintendrones only want to see their older franchises get love or current stuff go back to "when it was good"?

Metroid, Paper Mario, and Fzero fans won't bitching about this stuff. Shit Star Fox is lucky it was a console pusher back in the day or it would be in the same spot.
>>
>>334942390
You should be able to appeal to both audiences with one system. That's how Nintendo can succeed.

Otherwise Nintendo should just abandon traditional games consoles entirely and create $100 low-powered Nintendo boxes and handhelds. That's a way easier sell than a $300 console.

>>334942678
Why not? Sony convinced Genesis/SNES owners to buy a PlayStation. Microsoft convinced Playstation owners to buy a 360. You just need some good shit.
>>
>>334942494
>There are two good Mario games on the Wii U.
And they are going to still need a good Mario game on the NX. That's just reality. They will live and die with Mario.
>>
>>334941609

3DS is doing fine. Sun/Moon will fix flogging console sales.
>>
>>334942390
>but I don't think many Nintendo fans would buy those games
You'd be surprised at how many people wanted the third party games that were coming out in the early days. The reason why they didn't sell is that they were horribly rushed ports and support for them was dropped in like a week.

Most of those games didn't even receive the full amount of content. Then there's things like Project Cars, where they advertised it as coming on to the system but was canceled without so much as a word.
Considering how terrible the game was I would consider that a dodged bullet but it was still absolutely retarded to advertise it and not release even a broken game.
I wonder if someone sued for false advertising?
>>
>>334939882
Nintendo cannot compete with ps or xbox so they avoid it altogether. They just want to hold on to their niche marketshare
>>
>>334942110

hardcore fans want the next "Galaxy" not the 3D and New labeled shit.
>>
>>334939882
I don't think it would be smart to get into an already over-saturated market.

Nintendo has their niche group that they need to cater to more. Branching out for "More players" has always been their downfall.

They used to have hardcore games like F-Zero GX and Super Metroid, that weren't for every day casual players. And that died with the Gamecube.

Yeah their games have been fun since then, sure. But it's not like I'll remember Woolly World or the new Mario Tennis or Mario Party 10 for my whole life.

What they really need to do is touch on all of their existing IPs all at once for their new system. I'm talking new core 3D mario, new core Zelda, new core F-Zero, new core Metroid, new core Pokemon. All for the new system.
>>
>>334942852
>and create $100 low-powered Nintendo boxes and handhelds.
That's pretty much what they're doing now and considering tech holds value like a sieve full of water I'd say that's a better way to go about it than blowing your load on something relatively fresh that's guaranteed to sell at a loss for several years.
>>
>>334941717
Because they are too busy being chained in EA's basement.
>>
>>334942756
Starfox wasn't a console pusher either, which is why the IP has been farmed out to a 3rd party studio for a low-budget title as late-life Wii U schedule filler.

Listening to whiny vocal Nintendo fans isn't how Nintendo succeed long-term and won't solve the fundamental problems. Creating a new Metroid/F-Zero will do nothing but shut up a few morons while selling modestly - it won't hurt so fine if they want to do it, but not the game-changer they need.
>>
That's why Retro was originally formed
>>
>>334942990
>fans get good games instead of good games

Those poor souls.
>>
>>334942852
>Why not? Sony convinced Genesis/SNES owners to buy a PlayStation. Microsoft convinced Playstation owners to buy a 360. You just need some good shit.
Those companies actually had a dedication to that type of game. It's their "image." Nintendo systems are the platform for Nintendo games, nobody buys third parties or westernshit, sure Nintendo could fund some AAA shootan and whatever for launch, but nobody would be fooled.

Nintendo did this at the Wii U launch by the way - secured ports of Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, Call of Duty. Nobody bought them.
>>
>>334943236
Then they got stuck strip-mining the Nintendo IP catalogue creating fucking Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country, which sums up Nintendo entirely
>>
>>334943203

64 was.

why do you think they keep milking it EVEN TO THIS DAY WITH ZERO.

One of Miyamoto's biggest mistakes was convincing Rare to convert Dinosaur Planet to a Star Fox game. Assault wasn't terrible and Command was just an attempt to recreate the cancelled Star Fox 2 with forced touch controls.
>>
>>334943283

>new BAH BAH bros
>good
>>
>>334943284
>Nobody bought them.
That didn't mean people didn't want them though. The reason they didn't sell is because they were less stable than the PS3 versions when by all means they shouldn't be and they didn't bother to make the additional content for the games.

There was a time when third party games sold well on Nintendo consoles and you know what happened?
Third parties started shovelling out crap and no one bought them
>>
>>334943284
Yes, but 3rd party ports were never going to sell shit. They needed a Halo or Ridge Racer, not a bunch of ports and Zombi-U. They need to show dedication and commitment to appealing to everyone.
>>
>>334939882
because nintendo target audiencie are families and small kids aka the tablet audience
>>
>>334943539
>3D World
>not good
Shitpost harder
>>
>>334943539
Yes actually.
>>
>>334943549

bruh even back then no they didn't.

nine times out of ten if a game was multiplat on Gamecube/PS2/XBOX the gamecube version is the most sought after because they consistently sold the least. Exception are present but still.
>>
>>334943203
>Starfox wasn't a console pusher either
>in the top 10 best selling N64 and SNES games
You what?
The thing that killed Starfox is that they tried to take it away from what people liked about Star Fox to begin with.
>>
>>334943549
>There was a time when third party games sold well on Nintendo consoles and you know what happened?
3rd party games haven't sold well on Nintendo systems since the SNES. Nintendo has a serious image problem to overcome if they want to start selling big western shooty games on their consoles.

>>334943572
RIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRR
>>
>>334942852
I agree with you in that I don't see any other way for Nintendo to grow from where they are now, but I still believe it's a long shot. The dichotomy the industry has created between the console platforms is pretty entrenched right now.

>>334942897
I was really looking forward to Project CARS on Wii U myself. I'm a fan of Nintendo's games but also a hardcore racing game fan, and the only reason I have a PS2 and an XB360 was to play racing games. I hoped PCARS would spare me from having to buy another secondary console.

I'm still tentatively hopeful for PCARS2 on NX, and I'm waiting on the console's unveiling before deciding if a PS4 is worth it.
>>
>>334939882
>funding SF hipsters.
>>
>>334943347
Retro didn't make Mario Kart games, all they did was help with the assets in the DKC track.
>>
>>334943968

Personally I hope that studio dies. They broke a bunch of promises and the game disappointed.
>>
>>334943450
>>334943852
Starfox did better than I thought, but I really think the main reason Nintendo still uses it because they regard it as a second-tier franchise that is easy to outsource and stripmine.
>>
>>334939882

They've tried that before, the PS4/X1 owners buy the games they do because they're in the most popular genres with the BIGGEST marketing push between publisher and platform holders.

Nintendo would have to sacrifice the advertising of their own 1st party titles which would be stupid. Nintendo might as well be bidding for exclusive advertising rights to a CoD game.
>>
>>334944219

by "second tier" you mean "not mario, zelda, or pokemon"
>>
>>334939882

most western devs seem to respect nintendo but see it as a dying breed of the industry. the second nintendo dies is the second video games as we knew them die with it.
>>
>>334944534
Or Smash, Mario Kart or Animal Crossing (I'm ignoring the spin-offs given that Pokemon gets a ton of utter shit too). I mean, fuck, Nintendo even treats Pikmin with more respect than Starfox.
>>
>>334944197
I haven't played it myself, but people I trust have indicated that it's still worthwhile in spite of its serious flaws, and I can get down with that, especially if they spend more time polishing PCARS2 instead of reaching for the stars. I got a reasonable (if short-lived) amount of enjoyment out of Shift 2 Unleashed, and I have been assured that the physics in PCARS aren't that god-awful.

Mainly, I just want it to succeed because the alternatives are so damn fucking stale. Forza is all dried up and Gran Turismo went off the deep end years ago.
>>
>>334943951
>3rd party games haven't sold well on Nintendo systems since the SNES.
You say that but during the sixth gen a lot sold anywhere between 1 and 2 mil fairly easily.
Ones that come to mind are Sonic Heroes, Resi 4, Resi remake, Rogue Squadron II and Soul Calibur.
Despite it not breaking 1m, Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 also sold the most on the GC too.

Clearly there was a demand for quality third party games but they just stopped when they decided to grasp the casuals rather than the dedicated gamers.
>>
>>334944441
Warner can sell both the Lego titles and Dying Light. Sega can sell Hatsune Miku and Football Manager.

Why can't Nintendo sell a mature FPS and a family-friendly platformer? It's just a lack of effort.
>>
>>334945657
>Why can't Nintendo sell a mature FPS
Because mature =/= good, they have in the past sold mature titles and even had their own like Metroid and they've sold well, ever since the Wii there's been a lack of mature games and the majority it got were fairly terrible like that Dead Space game and Zombi U.

>and a family-friendly platformer?
Because Nintendo are the only ones really making platformers on top of that people hold Mario as the quintessential platformer and don't see a need for any more with just one Mario game.
>>
>>334945197
The GC didn't do very well either, but only really Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness were the only exclusive western titles, plus western-style titles weren't quite as major and important back then.
>>
File: Geist.jpg (2 MB, 3238x2144) Image search: [Google]
Geist.jpg
2 MB, 3238x2144
>>334946521
> western-style titles weren't quite as major and important back then.

They were starting to be towards the end and Nintendo actually did tried to capture Halo's success the way people think they should with M-rated titles today.

The fact you missed out Geist kind of shows how effective them pushing western titles are.
>>
>>334946521
What does anything there have to do with the conversation if there are third party games that sold well?

Hell the original point was that they don't sell well regardless of exclusivity when that's not true at all.
>>
File: 1386459616334.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1386459616334.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Dev here. All those Ken Griffin Jrs cannot be made because publishers and licenses have become a high end only thing at this point. For example, EA has the god given right, I kid you not, to have an entire hold over the NFL. No longer can little guys made NFL like games. It's all a corporate hostage situation now. Disney has become too big for its breeches, so they made their own studio and no longer license out, either, their games.

Being a small dev is suffering because licensed games and publishers are what you used to gain experience and revenue to grow your company. But now all of them have become picky and closed up, so why do you think all the middle ware devs dried up?
>>
Nintendo need to expand their audience. They can either do this by trying to get core gamers back on-board or getting the casuals back. I honestly think the core gamers are easier than the casuals.

They might be able to do both to some degree with some sort of "It's only for everybody" four-quadrant brand campaign showing wildly different titles for different audiences. That would kind of be bold.

>>334947369
Yeah, rights are messy, but I'm pretty sure the MLB license isn't exclusive (even though The Show is the only major licensed title) along with the NBA license (NBA Live and 2k)
>>
>>334945197
The third party games published on the Wii is perhaps one of the most disgusting lists you can compile in gaming. Looking at the effort of big publishers (not the small shovelware guys) make them look extremely pathetic. There were no attempt, no nothing.

https://pietriots.com/2010/12/17/the-3rd-party-wall-of-shame/

Nintendo has done some bad moves, but when you look at some of the games they published on the Wii, it clearly shows that you can make good games on that console.
>>
>>334947727
The NBA license is a lot looser, but it wasn't years ago when EA had an iron grip over it, and only recently did 2K finally get the right to be made again. This doesn't stop EA from strongholding the license in general and it was a miracle 2K got through. The NFL is probably also comfortable working with EA more than anyone else, so garage dev Joe can't make a NFL game of his own/
>>
Just get a third party on their side, for fuck sakes the GC had 6 Resident Evil games on it thanks to their good relationship with Capcom.
>>
>>334947746
That's probably the big reason why they stopped selling well, third parties were more concerned with grasping an imaginary audience instead of the people who actually wanted the games they were known for.
>>
>>334939882
Because last time this happened the project jumped around for 3 years before getting canned.

Hopefully they fund more Retro's, though
>>
I'd rather Nintendo get back Jap 3rd party over western 3rd party desu. Jap 3rd party was alright for the 3DS but completely non existent outside of collaborations like Hyrule Warriors or SF0 for Wii U.
>>
>>334948071
Nintendo tried to get many third parties on their side. Unfortunately, those third parties also flucked out and went back to status quo. You're speaking as if they never gave any of them a chance. You forget how snobby a lot of the western devs are. These aren't game developers with the same philosophy as Nintendo. Nintendo is the disney of the gaming world. Everyone else is capitalist #x looking to keep making a salary every year through microtransactions. Unfortunately, Nintendo is starting to go down that road, too, which is a pressuring caused by their investors who got moved by western and mobile practices.

The industry is going to shit one way or another.
>>
>>334948071
EA has literally never had exclusivity over the NBA license. 2k has been made since, uhh, the year 2k under various names.
>>
>>334947746

Yeah I personally never saw the 7th gen as Nintendo vs Sony vs Microsoft.

It was Nintendo vs Western Third parties. After the first year or two. The same western third parties efforts did almost nothing but undermine the Wii by releasing absolute garbage while releasing the key titles the 360 and PS3 needed to sell, titles that Microsoft or Sony couldn't even provide themselves.
>>
>>334948209
Why? Jap games market is dying plus they're already doing well in the declining Japanese market. They need shit with Western appeal.
>>
>>334948495
if I want western shit I got my PC, Nintendo would be wasting their money trying to capture the audience that plays shooters and sports games
>>
>>334948382
>Nintendo is the disney of the gaming world.
I hope you aren't saying that Disney is a good company.
>>
>>334948405
Yawn, back to fanboys blaming 3rd parties for Nintendo's woes. Funny how Sony and Microsoft never have the same issue. It's all a fucking conspiracy
>>
>>334948827
I'm by no means saying Disney is a good company. I almost worked for them. Nintendo is a business like everyone else. However, they still cate more to families than any other company does, and that's the difference. Their values tend to be nicer and friendlier. It's also why Nintendo has strict guidelines for publishing on their consoles.
>>
>>334948968
You literally can't be "the Disney" of a piece of consumers electronics, that's not a viable business model. Even Disney isn't insane enough to do that.

Plus Disney owns ABC, ABC Family, half of A&E, ESPN and shit too.
>>
>>334948881
Did you even see the amount of horrible third party games produced by those big names?

Not to mention with the Wii U versions of third party titles they often ran worse than the previous worse running version.

Those poor excuses for video games were the titles third party developers complained about and said didn't sell well, the budget titles that had no advertising.
How anyone can call this shit a conspiracy is beyond me.
>>
>>334939882
>Why doesn't Nintendo fund a few Western developers to create some Western-oriented "mature" games?
People won't buy them.

/thread.
>>
>>334949541
If you got money, use it. Disney is mostly owned by a bunch of suits who have a good working formula for getting new Disney lovers through each young generation. That's how Nintendo does it. Get parents to buy the games for their kids, the kids get attached, you now have a lifetime Nintendo fan, just like Disney.
>>
>>334948968
I once had someone tell me in seriousness that if I ever had to choose to work for Disney or the Mafia, I should definitely choose the latter.
>>
>>334949704
Hahaha that makes perfect sense. I agree with him.
>>
>>334949704
Considering they take the rights away from creators and I would do so too.
>>
>>334949578
You know what Sony and MS do different from Nintendo? They design their consoles and work with western 3rd party. Hell, Sony might as well be a western company now with how much they designed the PS4 for westerners, Nintendo still makes consoles for themselves and Japan first and doesn't give a shit about what the west wants out of it. Nintendo simply doesn't work with western devs, so western devs don't give a shit about Nintendo.
>>
>>334949649
Disney bought Pixar and Marvel because that model was failing.

So who should Nintendo buy now nobody gives a shit about their first-party franchises anymore?

And the core difference is that a Disney/Pixar movie ticket is $10 or whatever, a home Nintendo console is $300 plus $60 each.
>>
When they do bring 'mature' games to their console, NoA ends up sabotaging them.
>>
>>334949908
>So who should Nintendo buy now nobody gives a shit about their first-party franchises anymore?
>capcom
>namco if they ever go in the red. They are in great cohoots with nintendo right now
>koei tecmo, who happen to be in links with bandai, so are technically already an umbrella company
>sega is technically a nintendo company

Nintendo already has that under control.
>>
File: 1444711772411.jpg (231 KB, 900x1369) Image search: [Google]
1444711772411.jpg
231 KB, 900x1369
>>334949825
>They design their consoles and work with western 3rd party.
You mean like Sony did with the PS3 and PS2? The hardest systems to develop for in their respective generations?

Tell me more about that and how they didn't beg for games while Nintendo would help them with anything by the looks of the Wii/U third party line up.
>>
>>334950119
>acquiring struggling game devs
Yeah, no.
>>
>>334949578
Because Wii owners bought shovelware junk, there was little core gamer audience, and the system was massively underpowered with a goofy control scheme, plus Nintendo's developer relations sucked ass. Of course publishers were going to be reluctant to develop expensive core titles for it.

It was their own undoing. You really think there's some conspiracy by publishers to make Sony/MS succeed and Nintendo fail?

And it's not like the PS1 and PS2 didn't have endless shovelware junk either.
>>
>>334950198
That's how it starts. And you're an idiot if you didn't think Marvel wasn't struggling or Pixar. Without Disney's capital, they would have either died out or became too small due to cutting out a lot of employees due to lack of profits. Pixar had to do it because their movies cost a lot to produce. For Marvel, it was simply the best business decision.
>>
>>334941579
>People who already own a PS4/Xbone aren't going to buy a new Nintendo console to play 3rd party games
This, a thousand times. Why don't people understand this? Nintendo making a powerful console that sells at a loss to attract these publishers will fucking bury them. The audience for these AAA blockbusters isn't on Nintendo's platform and better hardware won't magically change that.

The core problem is that these big publishers only want to make these mass-appeal AAA blockbusters, AA and niche games are all but dead and those are the kinds of titles that would do well enough on a Nintendo platform. There's NOTHING stopping these publishers from making Wii U games on comparatively tiny budgets.

But the unsustainable AAA model is getting more and more bloated, budgets keep getting bigger, the tech keeps getting more expensive, etc. So instead of funding some smaller AA games, we get more marketing for AAA Blockbuster: The Yearly Sequel because it needs to sell 5+ million copies to just break even on costs.
>>
>>334950319
PS1 and PS2 is a whole different ballgame when it comes to third party relations. That can fill an entire essay on why that system succeeded.
>>
>>334950319

That's a lie, for example CoD 3 sold a close 2nd best on Wii despite Microsoft having exclusive advertising rights.

The sales of it crumbled because the Wii got CoD 4: MW a whole two years after the 360 and PS3. Same with FIFA sales on Wii were great until the bullshit "legacy" versions. I'm not saying they're trying to make Nintendo fail but they were blatantly out ot make atleast one of Sony or MS succeed.
>>
>>334950319
3rd-parties only want to make AAA blockbusters, they don't sell on Nintendo platforms. Its a matter of demographics, that's it. The audience most big publishers want is simply not there, they're on the other platforms.
>>
>>334950319
>Because Wii owners bought shovelware junk
Next to no one bought the shovelware junk except for confused parents and what not, which was their plan of action.
Make a cheap game, trick customers with something recognizable.

>And it's not like the PS1 and PS2 didn't have endless shovelware junk either.
The difference being that these big names weren't the ones doing it, they would always make fairly quality games. The problem arises when you have people like Ubisoft churning out this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOCSVe25GW0

When they were known for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8g1SAtQJB0
>>
>>334950381
Disney paid a fortune for both. Marvel was coming off Iron Man and had multiple films in the pipeline, Pixar was acquired because Disney noticed all their relevant IP was coming from them, and Disney at the time had fucking nothing and was on the verge of closing their animation division because they were losing a shitton of money and couldn't develop anything good in-house (remember Treasure Planet, Brother Bear and Home on the Range?)
>>
>>334950921
>Treasure Planet

wake me up inside
>>
>>334950767
>they don't sell on Nintendo platforms.
They would if they were good games.
>>
File: 1454957489064.png (1 MB, 1169x800) Image search: [Google]
1454957489064.png
1 MB, 1169x800
>Western developers
>>
>>334939882
>mature
Stopped reading there
>>
>>334939882
>Like an open-world shooter, a racing sim, sports games, an RTS or shit like that.

yea, i'd love nintedo to turn full dudebro. that way we'll have 3 almost identical pieces of hardware releasing the exact same games minus a few exclusives!
>>
>>334951354
Word, everyone but the indie devs have lost all inspiration and are only out for the money,
>>
>>334951131
But they already sell on the other platforms without being good games, that's the point.

These kinds of games are what big publishers are focusing on, we're not getting more risky, niche stuff from Ubisoft, EA, etc. much anymore. Fix the broken AAA model to allow for more diversity in titles and we'll see more games. Bring AA back, scale back budgets.

Publishers just don't want to make much beyond the huge blockbusters and people aren't going to buy a third near-identical shitbox to play them on when they already play on PS/XB.
>>
>>334951493
>but the indie devs
>innovative

pick one
>>
>>334946998
Mutiplayer was fun as fuck. Especially the stage where you play as a cook who throws dishes as projectiles
>>
>>334951493
>indies not being out for the money

kek
>>
Nintendo is a baby company now. Look at Prime Federation Force.
>>
>>334951592
>These kinds of games are what big publishers are focusing on, we're not getting more risky, niche stuff from Ubisoft, EA, etc. much anymore.
Which is a big shame, at one point these guys made some interesting games, now they're churning out trite that barely works.
>>
>>334950764
>>334950916
>>334950921
I really shouldn't engage on this conspiracy BS.

But even if it's true, how does Nintendo convince publishers to create high-quality titles and ports for their platforms? How do they solve the problem?

If Nintendo marketed the system to a core games audience and got a decent amount of people making it their primary platform then it would likely happen by itself, doubly so if it's a shame development platform.

But you can't rely on 3rd parties to get that audience on their own. It's not going to work - too many people already have a PS4/Xbone for yet another console to rely on 3rd party titles.
>>
>>334951965
>shame development platform
*sane development platform
>>
>>334940237
Just like it was pretty gay for Sony to come out with ps4.5 and still expect everyone to buy it
>>
>>334951965
>How do they solve the problem?
They can't.

Third party devs have found a good spot for themselves in these days where Microsoft and Sony are paying out the ass for temporary exclusivity rights so they get revenue from the game selling well on the first system they release on as well as the rights money from the company, then they release it on the other system and get the money from that.
They also don't want to comply to Nintendo's quality standards.

It would require a hell of a lot of paying off for Nintendo to get western third parties to develop quality games on the system and then it would only result in the game being a multiplat. Like Rayman.
>>
>>334952253
You can't blame them to con their customers a 2nd time after their first time (we're not MS, btw paid online and nogames for 2 years) worked.
>>
>>334952253
Did you have trouble comprehending what I wrote? You seem to have become triggered for no reason.
>>
>>334952523
Well, it's a problem that needs to be solved. There's no great 3rd party conspiracy, that's fucking dumb.

I mean, Nintendo could offer aggressive licensing fee discounts to 3rd parties for quality, up-to-date, ports and exclusives with an eye on long-term growth. More system owners means more first-party game sales.

Combined with that Nintendo needs to attract core gamers to their system somehow, through marketing and/or exclusives, to make it worthwhile.
>>
>>334951965
Nintendo would have to acknowledge that you can pander to both "core" gamers without breaking their "games for parents looking for games for their children" vision first.
>>
>>334939882
>/v/: Amateurs in business and finance
Wow what a fuckin surprise.
>>
>>334953108
How can you say there's no conspiracy? Take a good hard look at launch wii u games, and rayman'a development.
>>
>>334953108
It's not as simple as it sounds. A lot of third parties are literally in bed with some higher ups of many companies, including Sony and M4. All Nintendo can do is foster the smaller companies who are hungry for growth. BUT. There's one tiny problem stopping that, too.

Everyone is being greedy with their money.
>>
>>334953312
>>334953392
I just don't buy into Nintendo 3rd party conspiracy theories at all. It's absurd. Underpowered consoles, goofy control scheme, Nintendo's shitty publisher support, a lack of sales for major 3rd party titles and a lack of core gamers creating a reluctance to invest are much better reasons than devs hating Nintendo.
>>
>>334954301
>delay rayman when it was complete to port it
>release the ports near gta5 and Mario kart release

Literally killed their game to port it elsewhere. You can't explain this using any reasons you listed.
>>
>>334954669
Rayman Legends was delayed because Ubisoft were nervous about releasing it only on Wii U, where games sales were shitty, thinking a delayed port would kill sales on other platforms.

It's actually pretty common for non-exclusive games to get simultaneous launches for that reason. You think Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 is going to sell as much if it was a non-exclusive?
>>
>>334939882

people that say THEY HATE MATURE GAMES AND VIOLENCE know that they are desperate for big western developers to release they mature and violent games on theyr console? like COD, BF, Mass effect, AC, Watch dogs etc...

if they dont do it maybe is because are dumb, dont think of it yet or dont want to waste more money
>>
>>334955025
(Also, Rayman Legends was pretty shitty and Rayman Origins was one of the most overrated games of last gen)
>>
>there are people in this thread comparing the ps3 and wiiu in terms of programming difficulty
>>
>>334955025
>Rayman Legends was delayed because Ubisoft were nervous about releasing it only on Wii U, where games sales were shitty, thinking a delayed port would kill sales on other platforms.

Rayman Legends would have released at a time where the Wii U just released with a decent start and the customer base was prepped up to buy it as it would have been the only big name game in that month and wouldn't have any competition. Instead, they pushed it back several months where the game had competition with other bigger titles and in the end it still sold more on the Wii U than the other consoles as of a couple years ago.

I'm not saying there's a 3rd party conspiracy against Nintendo but there was definitely some bad blood between Nintendo and certain companies, well EA. I mean, EA released ME3 on the Wii U, a little after they released a trilogy set on every available platform at the time at a slashed price. If there's a textbook definition of intentionally sabotaging your own product, this would be it.
>>
>>334955025
>You think Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 is going to sell as much if it was a non-exclusive?
Of course you idiot. In addition to a hyped game you have a larger amount of gullible users that pre order and buy day one.

Also are you trying to say that GTA 5 would have sold more as an exclusive?
>>
File: 1456483541996.jpg (21 KB, 476x476) Image search: [Google]
1456483541996.jpg
21 KB, 476x476
>>334939882
>I only play mature games for mature gamers such as myself
>>
>>334956273
Bullshit. Ubisoft released Zombi U and their ports and saw they sold like utter shit, that the Wii U was selling like utter shit, and the marketing people got nervous about it killing sales of the other platforms.

There was a lot of whining from Wii U fanboys but it's something that always made a ton of fucking sense. Ubisoft actually gave the Wii U a shitton of support at launch and didn't remotely get rewarded for it.

And 3rd parties don't really give a shit about helping a console, they care about selling their games. I mean, suddenly PC games start selling better and we get a shitload of PC ports.
>>
>>334950424
>AA and niche games are all but dead
They're not dead, they're called "indie games".
>>
>>334956735
>implying that's what the OP says
>>
>>334941814
Their audience is going away BECAUSE they ignored their core for the Wii audience and the causalization of their IP's that went with it you fucking damage controlling TWAT.
>>
Yeah I don't get why Nintendo doesn't try to expand and do this. Makes no real sense.
>>
>>334956850
>Zombi U and their ports and saw they sold like utter shit
Bit of a lousy point since ZombiU was pretty bad regardless of the platform it was launched on, and ports are hardly enticing when many already played them.
>>
>>334956850
>Ubisoft released Zombi U and their ports and saw they sold like utter shit
Not counting digital sales, Zombi U sold a solid million. And I doubt they sunk that much money into the game that 1 mil wouldn't pay off. Also it's the best selling version of the game no one wanted it on the other systems because they have a plethora of games like it.

>Ubisoft actually gave the Wii U a shitton of support at launch and didn't remotely get rewarded for it.
That's because they were trying to shovel shoddy ports to people who are hyper critical of games. Of course they weren't going to sell if they weren't at an acceptable standard and had next to no advertising.

> they care about selling their games.
The problem is that they don't care about their games but rather the money they gain from it, hence the rise in bullshots, shoddy games and the hype culture recently.
>>
>>334957592
If it's not one thing it's always another thing. It can't just be that Wii U games don't sell, end of story.

(Also, ports from last-gen to PS4/Xbone are so successful they're literally still making them 4 years later)
>>
>>334957445
>BECAUSE they ignored their core for the Wii audience
But core Nintendo players got the usual Nintendo games with the Wii.
Hell they got even more than the Wii U did.
>>
>>334957954
>It can't just be that Wii U games don't sell, end of story.
Of course it can't be that because they do in fact sell if they're competent games.
>>
>>334957929
>shovel shoddy ports to people who are hyper critical of games

>le Nintendo audience is so superior and refined meme

embarassing.
>>
>>334958250
Just like The Wonderful 101, right?

Nah, the only people who buy Wii U are hardcore Nintendo fanboys who only want to play Nintendo games.
>>
>>334958285
>meme
You honestly can't see that pattern?
>>
>>334956850
>Bullshit. Ubisoft released Zombi U and their ports and saw they sold like utter shit, that the Wii U was selling like utter shit, and the marketing people got nervous about it killing sales of the other platforms.

They initially said they were pleased with Zombi U's sales, and 500K is nothing to scoff at for a new IP that's relatively low budget. And realize Rayman got a delay a week before its supposed release, the reason (not being told outright) was because of MS's parity clause; they don't allow games to be released on the Xbox platforms after other console versions have been released. It's either before or simultaneously.

A lot of Wii U fanboys were complaining about the games coming in being objectively worse versions than their cousins as they were always missing features.
>>
>>334958285
It's not a meme. It used to be like that with other systems too but something down the line went a bit wrong.
>>
File: FUCKING WHY.png (184 KB, 497x498) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING WHY.png
184 KB, 497x498
>>334958096
Just because they slap the face of these core series on a game doesn't mean they're core.

The Wii era of games were not only oversimplified in difficulty design, but they were dumbed down control wise, the level designs were oversimplified, and the to accommodate the blue ocean crowd of gamers most mechanics of series that gave them control and depth were removed.

I dont know about you but I fucking hold standards to Nintendo games, standards that they have REFUSED TO MEET so they can continue to try to cater to a casual audience that isn't fucking there anymore. Thats why WiiU had WII in the fucking name, they wanted the blue ocean casuals and nongamers anymore, the core can be damned because it doesnt give them enough jew gold to line their investor and shareholders pockets.

Fuckin try and tell me they're still making core games you little shit. They have barely made decent titles since 2008 and continue to crank out shit hoping to god their little Wii's boom will come back. LUCKS RUN OUT YOU JEWS, THE CASUAL TRAIN LEFT AND YOU FUCKED YOURSELVES.
>>
>>334958742
You sound both angry and stupid.
>>
File: disappoint dad.png (104 KB, 318x308) Image search: [Google]
disappoint dad.png
104 KB, 318x308
>>334959236
You sound like a child who never knew complexity or depth in gaming, and that it gets so much better than the absolute 5 year old brainless autism child catered shit we have now.

Protip faggot, yes I'm angry, and it gets so much better than the oversimplified copy paste bullshit you grew up with. Now please, pretend to be older to save face, because no one who grew up a better time in gaming aside a paid shill or a completely reality ignorant child can ignore the difference in old nintendo and new modern money grubbing casual sellout wiimote slinging nintendo.
>>
>>334959584
>games gotten easier and simpler

Wow what a problem completely unique to Nintendo and no one else.
>>
I think it would be interesting if they made a game to rival The Last of Us. Something cinematic with high production values.
>>
>>334939882

what is with people and open world shooters? ugh, just horrible.
>>
>>334959584
I'm 27, you dumb retard. I grew up playing SNES with my brothers, playing SM All Stars, Yoshi islands , Mech Warriors, Kirby SS

I 100% every single game i had, because i didn't have many

No amount fo you acting like you are some wise old sage that know better gonna erase the fact that you look and sound like some angry shitter with a chip on his shoulder.
>>
File: 1448752463281.jpg (24 KB, 222x298) Image search: [Google]
1448752463281.jpg
24 KB, 222x298
>>334958742
>The Wii era of games were not only oversimplified in difficulty design, but they were dumbed down control wise, the level designs were oversimplified
Despite the fact that the Nintendo staples were the same in regard to level design and quality. In some cases they even topped previous games like Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Punch Out etc. That said the system was awash with games catering the new casual adopters but Nintendo never abandoned the core gamers with their usual games.
With the exception of Sakamoto and the travesty that was Other M
Controls are also kind of a bullshit complaint because Nintendo games never had particularly complex controls.
That said, the system still had fairly complex games on it like Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment and despite not being a first party game Monster Hunter, which was ironically casualised when P3rd came about.

>I dont know about you but I fucking hold standards to Nintendo games
The problem is that you're holding them to a standard that they never had, hell you're holding them to a standard no one ever had so of course you're not going to have them met if that's the case.

>Fuckin try and tell me they're still making core games you little shit.
Did you just skip over them or something?
Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Return to Dreamland
Prime 3
DKCR
Xenoblade
Even the puzzles in Super Paper Mario are famous for stumping some people
FE Radiant Dawn
Wario Land Shake it was an extremely underrated gem

I could go on but I'll eventually hit the character limit, in any case there's more than enough games on the system for both the core and casual audiences. If you didn't find them then you just didn't look hard enough I'm afraid.
Also saying "casual" and "blue ocean" multiple times doesn't make your views any less warped.
>>
>>334961023
Come to think of it they even had a couple of new IPs like The Last Story and Pandora's Tower.
>>
Star Tropics reboot fucking when?
>>
>>334961849
I think at this point people would just see it as a Zelda ripoff nowadays
>>
>>334962090
I think it could work as an Uncharted meets Zelda. It could be pretty cool.
>>
>>334962223
>Nintendo's uncharted
If they could make it work it would be interesting.
Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.