[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>there are people out there who consider any Metal Gear past
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 15
File: come on.png (61 KB, 270x237) Image search: [Google]
come on.png
61 KB, 270x237
>there are people out there who consider any Metal Gear past MGS3 to be canon
how does it feel to take Kojima's dick so deep your brain got fucked to mush?
>>
File: metalgearmario.jpg (228 KB, 495x750) Image search: [Google]
metalgearmario.jpg
228 KB, 495x750
Kojima's next game better be good otherwise I'll declare him as a talentless hack
>>
I don't consider anything past MGS 3 canon. Portable Ops and Peace Walker were dumb and MGS 4 was a fucking travesty.

MGS V was terrible story-wise too, at least that game was actually good, though.
>>
File: whee.jpg (14 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
whee.jpg
14 KB, 300x400
>>334909909
It makes sense since the events of the story were intended to end on MGS2, and MGS3 is a prequel.
>>
>>334909909
>Director and creator doesn't get to decide what's canon but I do
wut
>>
>>334911698
>MGS 4 was a fucking travesty
Neo /v/ needs to come up with new memes.
>>
>>334911862
director and creator wanted to end the series at 2. I'm just doing what he didn't have the balls to do.
>>
>>334911776
>it was intended to just let ocelot run around with RAY and do what he wants

okay
>>
MGS2
>Liquid Ocelot fucks off with Metal Gear Ray
>lol best game ever post modern wow cool 10/10 masterpiece

MGSV
>Liquid fucks off with Metal Gear Sahelanthropus
>wtf kojima you hack unfinished game 5/10 Cut content

MGS2fags are the fucking worst.
>>
SOMEBODY OPEN UP A WINDOW
>>
>>334912109
but it is an unfinished game tho
>>
>>334909909
> there are people out there right now that think they can disregard canon because they don't like it
How does it feel knowing you have absolutely no taste?
>>
>people actually care about canon
>>
>>334912228
prove it
>>
>>334912735
There are bits and pieces of Chapter 3 on the disc, google it up.
>>
Portable Ops was the last game in the series that could be taken seriously.
>>
>>334912804
No bits and pieces of chapter 3, nigger.
stop lying.
>>
>>334913226
>The only closure to the Eli plotline comes from watching an unfinished mission on the special edition disk

Yeah man, it's completely finished.
>>
>>334913342
One mission. One fucking mission. Not an entire chapter you fucking retard.
>>
>>334913418
do you not know what "bits and pieces" means?
>>
>>334913418
>'There aren't any bits and pieces'
But there is though
>'That's only one mission you retard not the whole chapter'

Are you having a stroke or something dude
>>
>>334913520
not him but
>bits and pieces of chapter 3
>chapter 3
no such thing
it was a dlc mission
>>
>>334911890
The only interesting thing about MGS4 is its themes and story reflecting Kojima's own state of mind, i.e. war games have become routine and exist for no reason but their own sake and a tired old man does his job that he hates for no reason but he feels like its responsibility. The game itself is needlessly overlong, Snake controls well but there's only two hours of actual gameplay, forced nostalgia but not the good kind, dumb plot twists and nanomachines, etc

MGSV has some neato core ideas, but the story itself is bogus but it's great as an actual game so it's still worthwhile. MGS4 has shit story and shit gameplay.
>>
>>334909909

>There are people who care about MGS canon
>>
>>334913567
It wasn't chapter 3 you fucking idiots
>>
C H A P T E R 3 W H E N ?
H
A
P
T
E
R

W
H
E
N
?
>>
>>334913708
>only good thing about mgs4
Not the fact it is the best stealth game of the series.
Well chapter 1 and 2 is.
Octocamo, inchworming right next to a soldier or rebel.
Ohh the feels of satisfaction
>>
>>334913342
MGSV is unfinished, to a degree, but people really fucking overstate how unfinished it is and make ridiculous comparisons

>MGSV has 40-50 hours of stealth gameplay before it starts repeating missions, easily a 150+ hour game
>Some story arcs get cut off because Konami pulled the plug on Kojima
>WTF UNFINISHED GAME FUCKING HACK!!!!!

>MGS4 has two hours of stealth gameplay and is fucking sparse in actual content
>but it has an ending and ties up EVERY SINGLE FUCKING PLOT THREAD IN THE ENTIRE SERIES BY HAMFISTED CAMEOS AND NEEDELESS EXPOSITION
>at least it's a complete game :^)
>>
>>334913861
Chapter 1 and 2 are real fucking good, it's such a shame the game couldn't have had more of that
>>
>>334913861
>best stealth game in the series
yeah, all 2 hours of it
lmao
>>
>>334913861
>best stealth game of the series.
It's literally 3rd Person Shooter #659302 feat. Solid Snake
>>
>>334913893
Even though it's an unfinished cutscene, the cut content people dug up does mostly tie up the loose ends of MGS5. It's a total shame you have to watch the end of the game on youtube though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B4JIHh5Jqk
>>
Why would I care about what's canon and what's not? I think you're the one taking Kojami's dick too deep if you consider MGS anything more than dumb cheesy fun.
>>
nothing is canon after MGS1. the "mister president" dialogue after the credits was a good twist, but it wasn't supposed to become a whole story. MGS2 is dumb and MGS3 is somehow even dumber
>>
>>334913708
MGSV's health regen, sprinting, CQC being OP as fuck, seeing enemies through walls and that being the recommended, standard way of playing and all that odd, casual shit really fucked me off in a way. I've yet to finish it. As a stealth game I think it's one of the best of the last 6 years, but as an MGS game it's an absolute piece of shit.
>>
File: 1452465532062.jpg (367 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1452465532062.jpg
367 KB, 1920x1080
>>334911776
So it was intended to end the series on a bunch of questions that were never going to be answered?

Plus I don't mind 4 being canon because it fixes everything wrong with 2 and explains what happened.
>>
>>334914120
You can turn most of these off you fucking autist.
>>
>>334914201
You weren't supposed to know. Literally the entire point of that game is rejecting the bullshit that's fed to you and deciding for yourself what is real and to pass that onto the next generation.

MGS4 definitively showing that Rose is real and the Big Shell happened more or less as it was depicted ruins some of the beauty of MGS2, but it doesn't trigger me as much as it does most people.
>>
>>334914309
there was beauty in MGS2?
>>
>>334914201
>fixes everything wrong with 2
you're kidding right? It breaks everything that was great about 2.
>>
>>334914339
Yes, I'm sorry you were too stupid to get it, anon.

At this point people have literally written scholarly journal articles about it and done hours long youtube videos analyzing the game. It's your own fault if you still don't understand it
>>
>>334914120
There's also way more fucking guards and they have better AI than in past games, some of those areas have 50+ guards in an area that would have 5-10 in older games
>>
>>334914364
what exactly was great about 2?

>>334914438
I am not watching long ass videos about people biased towards that clusterfuck of a game
>>
>>334914201
Already linked in the thread but this answers a lot of shit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B4JIHh5Jqk
>>
>>334909909

>taking dick so deep your brain gets fucked to mush

im gonna say that to someone
>>
>>334914464
>I'm not gonna bother investigating why I'm wrong
>But I'm still gonna ask why I'm wrong
Even if I sat down and explained every single element of MGS2 you failed to comprehend, all I'd get back was "lol pretentious bullshit" or something equally inane.

Go watch the videos or read the articles about it if you care, and if you don't, then don't ask.
>>
File: image.gif (459 KB, 244x270) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
459 KB, 244x270
>>334912109
MGS2
>Insane bullshit happens for the last hour
>Imply to the player (and Raiden) that they have a loose sense of reality and to suggest to start questioning what's real and important
>Snake dives in the ocean to chase Liquid miles off the coast
>Literally no way he could survive
>Glosses over it despite it's insane stakes to fight Solidus because thats the mission objective
>Further emphasizes divide between Raiden and Snake's objective
>Enforces focus on the importance of being a pawn and completing the mission how it was supposed to be done (playing the game how you have to because you have no choice)
>Solidus crashes into
>Oh shit Solidus and Ocelot arent the ones in control, it's the patriots
>Game becomes blatantly self aware, raising stakes to real life
>Finish Solidus fight because you want to see the ending
>Snake appears in Manhattan unscathed
>WHAT THE FUCK IS REAL ANYMORE
>"There's no such thing in the world as absolute reality"
>So was that real or not?
>"Listen, don't obsess over words so much. Find the meaning behind the words, then decide."
>"Everything you felt, thought about during this mission, is yours"
>suggests the events of the game are inconsequential, it's about what you felt.
>It's fiction it can be as discontinuous as it wants because it's not real.
>It doesn't matter if RAY escapes
>Suggests to player that you make your own fiction in your life and it can be full of holes and inconsistencies too if you don't look
>Suggests to player to think of truths and any authority they believe in as fallible
>Huh, I guess it is complete after all, looks like it was left unresolved to make a point.

MGSV
>Eli escapes with Sahelanthropus
>"Boss, we can't find him"
>Ending cutscene in unfinished state on Blu-Ray
>Cut due to ???
>Least of the games problems but proves cut content
>Suggests a lot more went unfinished
>B-but MGS2 had the same thing! That must mean it's unfinished too!

MGSVapologists are the fucking worst
>>
>>334914515
I was talking in regards to 2, not 5.

>>334914438
>he doesn't like MGS2
>HE'S TOO STUPID TO GET IT
MGS2 fanboys, everyone
>>
>>334914228
Yeah no, the only thing I can turn off is all the visual shit. That doesn't change the fact that the game was balanced around it though. You're not only severely gimped when you do it because Intel and spotting is completely useless due to your radar being confined to the iDroid, it also just makes the game incredibly inconvenient to play.
For instance you can't even turn off seeing guards through walls without also turning off map markers and shit. It's fucking garbage.
>>
>>334909909
>there are people out there who thinks that there are canon and non-canon fictional stories, instead of "more-of-a-canon" and "not-that-much-canon"...
>>
>>334914659
Depends why you don't like it, though Most people who dislike MGS2 dislike it partially because Raiden is an atypical protagonist and they wanted more Solid Snake, which means they didn't understand what Kojima was doing with their expectations, and his statement about sequelitis. Another common reason not to like MGS2 is that it's too vague and confusing, which is another word for "I didn't have the intelligence to figure out the message of the game".

You can make absolutely valid and fair points about MGS2 regarding how almost the entire second shell was bombed out, so the game was remarkably short. The environments were samey as hell, the bossfights weren't that interesting, and the entire Emma section was gameplay-wise a travesty. But these aren't the criticisms most commonly laid down towards the game, that's why people assume you don't like MGS2 for the common reasons, and not the valid gameplay criticisms.
>>
>>334914201
If you're that culturally illiterate that a cliffhanger and plot threads that are never resolved seems like such a foreign concept to you, it's no wonder you're too stupid to get MGS2 and you actually think anything past PO is worthwhile in any way. Have you ever even watched a movie or read a book before?
>>
>hurdur MGS4 was shit
Did anyone here actually play the game?
>>
>>334913893
>Some story arcs get cut off because Konami pulled the plug on Kojima

That's not even the main complaint. Even by Kojima standards the plot is stupid as fuck and a complete let down from the marketing. The game was advertised as 'The Missing Link' and managed to completely fail in nearly every regard.

Skullface was basically a comicbook villain of the week with a plan that can best be described as fucking stupid. Due to his bad childhood he wants destroy the English language and supply the world with nuclear weapons so that minority states don't become the victim of imperialist powers. This can only work following the reasoning that only English speakers are bad people with the ambition to govern over others.

The introduction of the vocal cord parasite basically follows the trope of a prequel introducing a weapon significantly more powerful than in future games. The same could be said for Sahelanthropus, only that required literal magic to operate. The parasite itself was basically a shitty zombie horror take on foxdie, which was your typical SF/Thriller biological. At this point it honestly feels like the plot of these games depends on what genre of film Kojima happens to favour at any given time.

Back to The Missing Link, this is what really ruined the game. Liquid fucking off with a magical boy powered robot is bad enough, when previous canon had established him working for the British armed forces in Afghanistan less than a decade on from this point, but the final 'plot twist' felt incredibly forced. OOOH YOU WEREN'T EVEN BIG BOSS TO BEGIN WITH DID YOU LIKE IT. Building up this game in the trailers as Big Boss' descent in immorality, even going as far as to have a misleading shot in a trailer where it looks like he is gunning down kikongos to then reveal Big Boss did not even do anything at all is complete bullshit.

At the end of the game we are left off exactly where we were in Peace Walker.
>>
>>334914916
>Depends why you don't like it, though Most people who dislike MGS2 dislike it partially because Raiden is an atypical protagonist and they wanted more Solid Snake, which means they didn't understand what Kojima was doing with their expectations, and his statement about sequelitis.

I didn't mind that I was not playing as Snake in MGS2 but holy shit Raiden was unbearable as a central focus point character

>Another common reason not to like MGS2 is that it's too vague and confusing, which is another word for "I didn't have the intelligence to figure out the message of the game".
To be fair the Arsenal Gear segment was very vague and very confusing

>and the entire Emma section was gameplay-wise a travesty
am I the only person who had the idea to tranq her and drag her ass everywhere?
>>
>>334915024
Mate, everyone watched MGS4.
>>
>>334915101
kek
>>
>>334915032
>This can only work following the reasoning that only English speakers are bad people with the ambition to govern over others.

Keep in mind that this is a sci fi/fantasy story in which a british man sought to unite the world under one will by making it culturally homogeneous and then have them controlled by computers. He happened to speak English. It was a direct response to Zero's plans.
>>
>>334915078
>Raiden was unbearable
Raiden was supposed to be the opposite of snake, a naive rookie with no real training or experience, and barely capable of keeping a relationship going, while Snake was rolling in bitches. I don't think he was unbearable at all, he was a very consistent and well-written character, he just wasn't written to be the power fantasy that Solid Snake was, and that's why butthurt fanboys got ass-devastated in the most glorious example of pissing on autistic children in videogame history.

>the Arsenal Gear segment was very vague
Sure, but it wasn't poorly written. It was supposed to be hard to figure out, that doesn't mean there's nothing there to figure out, or that what you figure out was stupid. It was just hard to grasp, and required effort on your part to sit down and think it through - which is something videogames very rarely do. Books and movies requires analysis on regular occasion. MGS2 is one of the few examples of its media that requires the kind of thought and analysis. That makes it BETTER, not worse.
>>
>>334915415
>and barely capable of keeping a relationship going

Rose being a cunt did not help
>>
>>334915529
Now ROSE was an unbearable shitheel, anyone saying Rose was a shit character is absolutely right.
>>
>>334914601
The only thing I disagree with here is there was an obvious cliffhanger at the end of MGS 2 that was clearly intended to cause speculation for a future game. Similar to MGS 1's very important cliff hanger of Ocelot not simply being Liquid's henchman it's revealed that 'The Patriots' are no longer alive.

There is no post modern spin to be interpreted here, it's very evidently a whodunnit. This is understandable, as Kojima is primarily a movie enthusiast and this is a core element of thriller films which Kojima enjoyed at the time, but it is still a cliffhanger. This is the one plot element that MGS 3 actually continues, separating it from a stand alone game. By ending MGS 2 on the question of The Patriots and immediately following it up with a game about the 'Philosophers' there is quite clearly the mystery of an illuminati-esque organisation controlling the events that occur in the series.

To explain away the Patriots as anything other than a big bad at the end of a discovery is to be very disingenuous about Kojima's means of storytelling. Sometimes the man who can shoot bees is just there because it sounds cool, rather than it being a true statement about the nature of reality.
>>
>>334915304
This completely ignores Skullface's backstory and primary motivation, however. Skullface was an indirect victim of Turkish, Austrian and Russian imperialism. Nations, regardless of their language, will look to impose their will on others.

If Skullface was an angry Irishman or Welshman upset that his culture, heritage and language had all but been wiped out by English Imperalism this would make sense, but not a fucking Romanian-Hungarian.

By working for Zero during Operation: Snake Eater Skullface would have been aware that there were Russian and Chinese branches of the Philosophers working against the Anglo branch. If you give Skullface's character even the slightest examination everything falls to pieces.
>>
>>334915604
>>334915529
Well, I mean, she's just realistic.
And the banter between her and Raiden, and hell, almost every scene and conversation with Raiden really, is some of the most entertaining, funny shit ever, until the game finishes it's slow 180 and becomes one of the most thought-provoking ever.

>>334915415
Snake wasn't really rolling in bitches either, he clearly has a lot of problems with women IIRC, but I'm not sure when that gets established exactly.
>>
>>334909909
you take the good with the bad, dumbass
>pretending the Metal Gears from 3 and back were flawless
>>
>>334916095
I mean he has trouble keeping a relationship as evidenced by the fact that MGS1 ends with him riding off into the sunset with his new waifu and 2 starts with him alone on a bridge, having been unable to let the job go, and lost Meryl as a result. He does however flirt with literally every girl he sees in MGS1 and they all wanna ride his dick.
>>
>>334915024
Did you?
>>
When did you realise that Otacon is the best character in the series?

>cucks Huey to death
>fucks Wolf
>fucks his step mom
>fucks Naomi
>is a total bro to Snake, not a traitor like his father
>>
>>334916095
>the banter between her and Raiden, and hell, almost every scene and conversation with Raiden really, is some of the most entertaining, funny shit ever,

Uh
>>
>>334916306
In my opinion Raiden gets the throne simply for being the only character in the entirety of the trainwreck of MGS4 to elicit any kind of emotional response from the absolute grunt-o-matic cardboard cutout that was Old Snake
>>
>>334915646
But the Patriots twist at the end of MGS2 doesn't really act as any sort of setup for a sequel or anything at all.
You just learn that the Patriots exist(ed), and that the members supposedly died 100 years ago, and that now there's an AI around that plans on controlling the flow of information in modern society. Also, Liquid/Ocelot is on the run with a Metal Gear RAY.
It's not really a setup for anything concrete, a lot is unclear and there is no conceivable way that Snake, Otacon and Raiden could go about doing jack shit about any of this.

But the game also leaves you with an uplifting message that what really matters in the end is what you make of the information that you consume and the experiences you make.
>>
File: eZnON5K.png (177 KB, 359x320) Image search: [Google]
eZnON5K.png
177 KB, 359x320
Still cant believe so many people are butthurt over such a good game just because the cutscenes are too short
>>
>>334916561
It does not need to be a set up for a direct sequel, rather something that has implications that the story is not yet over. MGS 1 & MGS 2 both have this with their end of credits scene. MGS 3's 'reveal' is a little different, as it only reveals what we know from the previous games, that Ocelot was working for the illuminati.

I am perfectly fine with MGS 4 being the end of the series. No one really cares because of it being such an enjoyable game, but if anything MGS 3 should have been a stand alone sequel. MGS 3, PW and 5 have only severed to complicate the storyline without adding anything substantial to it.

The Patriots being a group of powerful businessmen, politicians and military commanders looking to pursue their own shared interests makes for a more believable set up than an all powerful organisation set up because one time a soldier died for her country and it was very sad so we must achieve her goal of no war ever.
>>
File: 1327459446717.jpg (62 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1327459446717.jpg
62 KB, 500x374
>>334911862
This, THQ senpai.
>>
You are just supposed to come away from MGS with the themes, the actual plot doesn't make any sense because Kojima burns all bridges with almost every game because he thinks it's his last.
>>
>>334916536
It would have been interesting if Raiden got his own gameplay segments in MGS4
>>
>>334915646
>>334916561
I disagree that it was a cliffhanger. I think the reveal that the patriots have been dead for a hundred of years is to further add to their mystery, and to further suggest that their existence coulb possibly be something not physical.
After MGS4 they were made into an AI but at the time of MGS2 being sequelless, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that their AI presence is just how they interact with Raiden, and that their character is an ambiguous representation of certain aspects of our society, and in this instance not only warn ofr a sort of self aware conformation bias and complacency brought on by the digital age, but represent a dangerous way of thinking and dealing with it. A sort of enemy that actually exists and cant be destroyed with missiles like metal gear, but by changing our way of thinking on an individual and global scale.

But of course, assuming 4 doesn't exist it's all ambiguous, and one of the point of MGS2 is to be interpreted, so this is just one of many ways to think about it! The fact that that is one way to interpret it makes it one of my favorite games of all time and is so fun to discuss.
>>
>>334917313
I mostly agree, but I think MGS should've ended at PO at the very latest.
4 was the one that insisted on the Patriots being the MGS3 team and all the later games went with it. MGS3 really should've been the only Big Boss game.
>>
>>334914104
Have you not seen the meryl ending? Ocelot outright calls the president solidus and that he is a 3rd clone. They obviously were setting up for a sequel.
>>
>>334918520
>Ocelot outright calls the president solidus and that he is a 3rd clone.
That's not true.
>>
>>334918851
It is.
I replayed it a few days ago.
>>
>>334917489
RULES OF NATUREEEE
>>
>>334919213
I'm pretty sure Ocelot calls him just "Mr. President" at most. Did you play TTS? I wouldn't know about that one.
>>
>>334918851
https://youtu.be/qm_lxeQ6PmM
>>
File: 1457155884495.jpg (69 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1457155884495.jpg
69 KB, 300x300
>>334909909
>there are people out there who consider any Metal Gear past MGS to be canon
>>
>>334917313
I find it hilarious that the every single problem in MGS is caused by Boss being charismatic as all fuck
Like, if she'd had a lisp or was into animu or some shit then no game but 3 would have happened
>>
>>334911910
>director and creator wanted to end the series at 2
He never wanted to make a MGS sequel to begin with.
>>
小島 ラストシーンといえば、海外のゲーム業界では一番いらん、て言われてます。ゲームを100人がプレイしたとすると、最後までたどり着く人って1人か2人。そこにお金をかける日本のクリエイターはおかしいってことで、向こうでは間に合わなかったら最後はカット。
海外のクリエイターもそれで怒らないんですよ。「最初のシーンは100人やるから、一番お金かけるんや! 一番こだわるんや!」って。日本のクリエイターだけですよ、最初と最後のシーンちゃんと作るの。

>Kojima: I've been told that in the overseas game industry "the final scene" is considered the most useless thing.
>Of 100 people playing a game, maybe 1 or 2 will reach it. They think Japanese creators who spend a lot of time and money on the ending are strange, over there if there isn't enough time they just cut it.
>Overseas creators don't get upset if the ending is cut "the first scene will be seen by all 100 so you should spend a lot of time and money on it!".
>Only Japanese creators spend equal time on the beginning and the end.
http://natalie.mu/comic/pp/seifuku_robinson/page/1
>>
>>334914029
Every game in the series is just a TPS if you want it to be, especially MGS3.
>>
>>334919932
Then why did he continue to make them well after two
Why did he fight for the chance to make more
Why did he literally do everything he could to try and get V out
He might not have wanted to at first but he very quickly warmed to the idea
>>
>>334920042
If your boss tells you to do your job you do it.
>>
>>334919985
also:
クリエイターは怒らないかもしれないですけど、プレイしたゲーマーは怒らないんですか?

小島: 怒らない。

>Creators may not get upset if the ending is cut, but do the gamers?
>Kojima: They don't.
>>
Just because you faggots didn't like the other sequels/prequels and actually enjoyed the steaming pile of gameplay shit and never-ending useless dialogue (the fact that it was useless being the point doesn't make it not awful to sit though) that is MGS2 doesn't make your opinion right
>>
>>334920140
Right, because Kojima is the kind of auteur to give a flying fuck what his bosses want and wouldn't have made MGS3 an absolute shitfest if he didn't want to make it instead of the lovingly created Bond Film send up and best game of the series that it is
>>
mg->mg2->mgs->mgs2->mgs4 is the real series

the big boss story line is like a spin off
>>
>>334920398
Of course, MG is Solid Snake's story and MGS is the story of Les Enfant Terribles, the Boss and Big Boss stuff was just for context, backstory and explanation
>>
>>334920398
>Spin off
Even though a lot of MGS4's story hinges on what was established in MGS3
>>
File: big_boss_by_gavade.jpg (210 KB, 743x1075) Image search: [Google]
big_boss_by_gavade.jpg
210 KB, 743x1075
>>334920398
The Boss started it all, he was the Alpha and Omega. The Snakes were something in between the bigger picture.
>>
MGS4 is what MGSV should have been. MGSV should have been the Big Boss version of of MGS4 filled with BB-era fan service, throwbacks and ending with Solid Snake, kind of like how MGS4 ended with Big Boss.
>>
>>334919754
Damn, he really did call him Solidus.
I don't remember that at all though and it hasn't been that long since the last time I played it.
>>
>>334920228
MGS2 is the perfect MGS game, if not story-wise then at least when it comes to gameplay. Just accept that you have shit taste, faggot.
>>
>>334921073

>MGS2 is the perfect MGS game, if not story-wise then at least when it comes to gameplay.
MGS2 fanboy delusion has no end.
>>
>>334921073
>Gameplay
>Anything better than MGSV
How does it feel to be objectively wrong
Seriously, don't even respond to this bit if you disagree because I don't want to waste my time reading your wrong ass opinion

I will admit that I only played MGS2 through once and I didn't fully understand the story at the time (I was quite young) but I boring codec conversations are still boring codec conversations
>>
Who /OuterHaven/ here? 3Dogg is my favorite of the bunch. Drk is cool when drunk. Uknightmare is a fucking prick.
>>
>>334920982
You only get the extra dialogue in the Meryl ending, there's less in the Otacon ending unless your playing TTS where its the same as the Meryl ending in PS1 regardless.
>>
File: 1449383936976.png (366 KB, 1612x969) Image search: [Google]
1449383936976.png
366 KB, 1612x969
>>334909909
>>
>>334921225
ohnBoss
>>
>>334921406
Brother! ohnBoss
>>
>>334921152
>>334921219
>MGSV
>relevant
lol. MGSV isn't even a real MGS game. It doesn't play like one and doesn't have a good story like one. It certainly doesn't fucking compare to MGS1 through 3.

And MGS2's gameplay is literally MGS1's except better in every way. It's a pure evolution in game design and one of the biggest jumps in quality any game has ever made with a sequel. It perfected MGS gameplay, which is anything BUT the pseudo-Splinter Cell garbage that is every game after PO, especially MGSV.
>>
>>334921292
Sure, but I only ever get the Meryl ending, too, unless I want the stealth camo. I must've just forgotten, or maybe that extra dialogue was added in a revision or something.
>>
>>334921660
Didn't say shit about MGSV's story, it's mediocre at best and an insulting prank by Kojima at worst, but if you don't think it's the best action/stealth gameplay in any game ever you're an idiot
And if you think Kojima wouldn't have made the previous games play like it if he could then you're even more of an idiot

I can understand why people liked MGS2 so I try not to shit on it too hard but I personally hated every single part of it except for the last third of the story
The characters were awful, the codecs made me want to scoop my brain out, the controls were retarded and the boss fights fucking sucked (except Vamp)
>>
>>334921660
That's the dumbest argument I've ever heard.
>it doesn't play like one
lmao, it's literally a mixture between 4 and PW.
>it doesn't have a good story
just like 4, PW, PO and 2. I guess those aren't mgs games either.
>>
>>334920001

V has significantly more of a focus on player freedom. MGS1,2, and are directed with stealth as the intended playstyle. the controls and scenarios designed for them reflect stealth-only gameplay. When you lose that stealth-only focus you exchange rigidity for freedom, but also lose a lot of design nuance. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Also playing MGS2 like a shooter on Extreme or higher is probably impossible
and is hardly viable on normal and above
>>
I've got no real issues with Peace Walker and V but 4 can go fuck itself, no way I'm ever accepting that or Rising as canon.
>>
>>334922275

>Refusing to accept best Metal Gear as canon
>>
File: 1460216604222-v.jpg (96 KB, 800x437) Image search: [Google]
1460216604222-v.jpg
96 KB, 800x437
>>334922595
>MGS4
>best MG
>>
>>334922825

Who said that?
>>
>>334922101
It really doesn't feel like one at all though. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but every single game had at least a few things unique to the series tying them together, where V really has nothing. Even 4 which is a putrid abomination of a shit stain still feels like a Metal Gear. A MGS gone wrong, but it had some kind of charm in it's humor and character interactions and direction. It had ridiculous, silly, inconsistent attention to detail, and felt like it was trying to prove something. It failed miserably but I can still feel like there's some kind of a soul of an MGS game in there. V just feels like a soulless shell.

also
>2
>bad story
not fallin' for it today bucko
>>
File: 1460207654253-tv.gif (204 KB, 404x416) Image search: [Google]
1460207654253-tv.gif
204 KB, 404x416
>>334922881
Oh, you meant the edgy Raiden game for 12 year olds?
That's even worse than 4.
>>
>>334923006

>edgy
Has there ever been a word so overused to the point of meaninglessness?
>>
>>334922976
desu the best thing about V is that it doesn't feel like a normal MGS game and I'm glad it did that.

>MGS2 story
>good
good twist =/= good story
it's shitty and boring
>>
MGS2s ending is literally Portland, Oregon tier writing. If an indie game pulled this shit /v/ would be pissed. Not to mention MGS2s level design and bosses were weaker than MGS1.

MGS2 fans remind me of End of Evangelion fans. They try to defend a mediocre piece of media solely because they liked the ending.
>>
>>334923006
>calling something that you can't get into edgy

For an action game, it's wonderfully done.
>>
>>334922005
Have you played MGS1 then? You say MGS2 has bad controls, but surely if that's the case then MGS1 could only have been an even worse experience for you, and 3 would be pretty shitty for you too then.

And no, he wouldn't have made MGS1 and 2 like V. That's because those two games, like MG1 and 2, were about infiltrating complexes with lots of corridors and tight spaces. No empty deserts with outposts scattered around or anything.
MGS isn't about that, it's about what MGS1 and 2 were like. They were fast, "arcadey" stealth games with clear rules and mechanics, though they could be played in a slow manner too.

I'm not taking away from MGSV that it's an enjoyable game and one of the best stealth games of the past decade, though I'm not sure if it's the best one ever made. But I'm saying that it doesn't have anything to do with MGS gameplay-wise.

>>334922101
>a mixture of 4 and PW
Sort of I suppose, but it's also extremely casualised. But you're still mixing shit with shit, so it really doesn't mean much.

>2
>no good story
Repeating this won't make it true.
>>
>>334923439
>if the story isn't the most formulaic then it's indie shit
lol moron
>>
>>334923006
MGR is the best thing that has come out of post-PO MGS.
>>
>>334923645
Great rebuttal

Enjoy your bisexual not-black black vampire
>>
>>334923439
MGS2 haters remind me of NGE haters, they try to shit on a profound piece of media solely because they don't understand it.
>>
>>334919442
AND THEY RUN WHEN THE SUN COMES UP
>>
>>334909909
the metal gear series was intended to end at MGS2. but us westerners didn't want that. why?
>most of us never played MG1, and/or MG2
>mgs1 was our first game
>mgs2 story was too confusing for us at the time
>not enough solid snake due to not owning msx games.
>>
>>334923635
MGS1 was clunky as fuck, not debating that, it just seems so much more obnoxious in MGS2 for some reason
3 was better than both except for the CQC shit which I never used

I don't mean in exact mechanics but in terms of the action/stealth style gameplay, he is a film nut especially for bond films and the like, the gameplay style of MGSV is basically Kojima's wet dream
>>
>>334923742
MGR is fucking awesome as long as you don't go in expecting a metal gear game.
>>
>>334923808
Not understanding something and understanding that it's complete meaning drivel are not the same thing
NGE is one of the worst pieces of media I have ever consumed. far far far worse than MGS2 and that's fucking saying something
I know I'm getting off topic here but seriously, if you unironically think NGE has a good story you are a braindead sheep who likes things because someone told them it was 'deep'
Being both intentionally and unintentionally vague and uninterestingly mysterious is not depth
>>
>>334909909

>how does it feel to enjoy a creators work instead of being a bitter fuck because you didn't get exactly what you wanted

yeah it's alright, I've had fun
>>
File: 2.jpg (55 KB, 362x233) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
55 KB, 362x233
:^)
>>
>>334923107
meme and epic are up there
>>
>>334923808
Team up with you brony brethren to teach ignorant souls why these cartoons are so deep and philosophical. Let's just ignore the rest of the media and focus on the few minutes that make you feel profound and euphoric.
>>
File: 1445130198906.gif (283 KB, 185x164) Image search: [Google]
1445130198906.gif
283 KB, 185x164
>>334924158
>implying you're not just a whiny contrarian
Your butthurt is immense tho. Please keep going.
>>
>>334923974
3 has the same controls as 2 though, it's just much slower in comparison.

I don't get how him being a film nut has anything to do with MGSV's gameplay style though. The fact that he's a film nut is apparent in every MGS game, due to the abundance of cutscenes and their direction, especially in 3 which is basically a Bond movie.

But yeah, MGSV is a game he genuinely wanted to make, and it turned out good gameplay-wise. Hell, Ground Zeroes has some of the best level design in any stealth game just in that one level. It's the best part of MGSV easily.
But he quite obviously conformed to a lot of modern, casualised standards in game design and didn't want to make it a proper MGS game.
>>
>>334924158
Well I suppose since you're an expert and know exactly how much un-/intentional mystery and vagueness is good or appropriate, I'm wrong and both NGE and MGS2 are, in fact, pseudo-deep shit.
>>
>>334924772
Yes, because everyone who disagree's with you is just doing it to be contrarian, how did you figure it out we thought our scheme was perfect
>>
>>334925148
It doesn't take an expert to realise that having a plot be 90% that shit is neither good nor appropriate
>>
>>334909909
You canon faggots are absolutely insufferable, when will you realize that you NEVER had any say in what's canon or what's not? You can bitch and moan all you want, but it was never within your power to dictate what did or didn't happen in a piece of fiction.
>>
>>334925219
>says everyone who likes something is sheeple
>gets mad when I call him a contrarian
Fuck off faggot.
>>
>>334925382
Those are great points, you are continuing to make me mad with your brilliant debating skills
Here I am being butthurt
Woe is me
>>
>>334909909
Hey man, Ground Zeroes was great for something that was meant as a demo.
If only we could have predicted what was going to come after. I should of realized that it would be impossible for a full fledged open world game to have multiple areas on the level of the ground zeroes map.
>>
>>334924831
I might be one of those faggots who remembers things wrong based on how much he liked something idk, but MGS2 just seemed completely obnoxious control wise while I really didn't mind 3

MGSV feels like you're playing a Bond-like, I kinda wish Snake Eater played like V because then you would literally just be playing a Bond game

I can see your point and V is definitely modernized compared to the others, I don't know if I'd call it casualized though, I mean unless you're playing with DD or Quiet
>>
>>334925336
The consumer has all the say in what's canon or not tho, since he's the one who interprets it at the end.
>>
> it's a Otacon fall in tears episode
>>
>>334925810
>>
>>334925875
>that horrendous voice acting in 2
>>
>>334925810
Fucking spare me the death of the author bullshit.
>>
>>334925810
Frodo never throws the ring into the volcano but instead becomes the next dark lord because I like it better that way

This is what you faggots sound like
>>
Weren't Otacon and Snake supposed to be executed for their crimes in the original ending of MGS4?
Why did Kojima change it?
>>
>>334926110
It was too japanese for the western market
>>
>>334926110
He's team told him to
>>
Anything past MGS1 is not canon.
MG -> MG2 -> MG1. Snake rides off into the sunset with Meryl and lives a long life.
>>
>>334926110
Solid Snake was supposed to suicide at the end of 4 but the ENTIRE development team walked out of the building and threatened to quit if he did this, so he was forced to include that horrendous post-credits scene
>>
>>334926110
Too depressing and cuts all chance of continuing the Solid Snake story.
>>
>>334926253
I really like the way Solid Snake is set up in the tanker episode, though. The opening scene perfectly tells you that things didn't work out between Meryl and him, because he couldn't let go of the job, which is the most reasonable and logical continuation of the character he had in mgs1
>>
>>334911776
mgs2 was meant to be Kojima's last game, not the last game in the series. With that in mind I've never really understood people who say mgs2 was impossible to follow up on. The patriot A.I was a good villain, possessed Ocelot could be an okay villain.
>>
>>334927940
mgs2 wasnt impossible to follow up on at all, it was way more open-ended than mgs1. Had several plot points that could've been followed up on, like Olga's baby or Snake chasing after Ray/Ocelot
>>
>>334924350
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Author

:^)
>>
>>334930296
(you)
Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.