[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a place for Mega Man in today's cinematic video
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: 821872ac-s.jpg (46 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
821872ac-s.jpg
46 KB, 550x413
Is there a place for Mega Man in today's cinematic video game industry? Or is he a relic best left to the past?
>>
>>334880512
Mega Man has as much of a place as any other 2D platforming IP. It would need something to freshen up the formula while remaining familiar enough to appease longtime fans. Something like the enemy part assimilation promised for MN9 would probably do the trick.
>>
>>334880512
>cinematic video game industry
>what is nintendo
>what is every indie game
>plenty of other non-realistic/cinematic games this gen
you're a fucking idiot if you think just because thats half of games nowadays that means you cant make different ones
>>
Streamline, lose the helmet because now Rock's hair is the solar collector, Rush turns into a sleek hover-surfboard that functions like Rush Jet, plays soccer.

Done.
>>
File: 661198-928331_20050516_017[1].jpg (187 KB, 880x1580) Image search: [Google]
661198-928331_20050516_017[1].jpg
187 KB, 880x1580
They reinvented him once before for modern audiences.

They can do it again.

As for classic Mega Man style gameplay? Not in a big budget production. Mega Man's gameplay design is better suited for the digital market at bite size prices. 8 main stages and 4 castle stages aren't enough for people these days. They want more.
>>
Japanese devs shouldn't try and mimic the abomination that western devs are.
>>
File: 1242744148602.gif (658 KB, 280x212) Image search: [Google]
1242744148602.gif
658 KB, 280x212
>New 2.5D platformer with a rebooted cast (Still Rock/Wily/etc, but mix it up instead of just doing MM1/2 again)
>Feature some background-level elements like Kirby Triple Deluxe or Shantae, something that makes the stage more than "Go from the start to the Boss room"
>Some enemies have weapons/armor that can be picked up when destroyed to be used like Mega Man (IE, blow up a Mettaur and you can pick up its helmet. When crouching you won't take damage)
>Follow the Mega Man X style of story progression (Start with some background in the intro stage, some bants in between bosses, and some more story once the 8 Masters are beaten.

Mega Man needs a fresh start that isn't some story-heavy thing like ZX/Advent, and isn't just a plain remake like Powered Up. It needs to still feel like Mega Man though, not like that X reboot being done by the Metroid Prime dudes.

The last Mega Man games that weren't a collection were Street Fighter x Mega Man and X-Over
>>
>>334883346

This is just a Mega Man game with some stupid horse shit gimmicks that's not going to attract anyone.

You guys are completely unimaginative.
>>
Mega Man X9

like how MM9 was a return to the NES-style roots, and 10 ended up being the 2nd best out of the entire series. I need a return to the glory days of the X series.
>>
>>334881253
>>334883346
Zero 4 sort of had yje enemy part-stealing thing and it kind of worked, even though it was totally useless 90% of the time because the Z Saber is so good. It'd hardly be a new gimmick.
>>
What if you did a 3D platformer shoot em up in the vein of Ratchet and Clank?
>>
File: 1959587570805.jpg (503 KB, 2048x1638) Image search: [Google]
1959587570805.jpg
503 KB, 2048x1638
>>334880512
No, let it die. They will just rape the dead body of the franchise.
>>
>>334883709

That honestly could work if they just speed up the game a little. You could even incorporate Rush into the gameplay a lot.
>>
I'm working on a mega man clone now, so I hope so
>>
>>334883789

The body was dead for years.

By the time they decided to bury it, you fuckers threw a fit.
>>
>>334883789
I've never understood this analogy. How does it harm you to have a dead series get new games that suck? It's the same result as if it remained dead (for you) - you don't have any new games to play. But somehow other people with lower standards enjoying them and getting into the franchise harms you?
>>
>>334880512
I want more mega man games
>>
>>334883934
Hope you're ready to compete with the hundreds of other indie 2D platformers!
>>
>>334884227
considering that there are almost no good megaman clones, in not worried
>>
As long as you have 8 bosses to defeat and a fortress, two, three or maybe four it'll have a place. All it needs is to freshen up gameplay elements without fucking up actual platforming which in itself isn't terribly hard to do, and have a modern look. Oh and kickass music. If it doesn't then it's fucking shit.
>>
>>334880512
I feel like any indie platformer that gets off the ground has some sort of nostalgia pull on Megaman and that era of gaming. I'm sure there's a way to make a great Megaman game, it would just take a good designer to execute it just right, as well as a solid team that understands what it is they're doing. Capcom's kind of big enough where they just delegate tasks to whomever is in their employ and it kind of loses the heart.
>>
>>334882145

EXE is bad
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.