[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why was fallout 4 so fucking bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: f4.jpg (71 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
f4.jpg
71 KB, 1920x1080
why was fallout 4 so fucking bad?
>>
No rpg
>>
No fallout
>>
>>334879692
No survival mode
>>
File: Combat_armor_helmet.png (1 MB, 887x839) Image search: [Google]
Combat_armor_helmet.png
1 MB, 887x839
This light doesn't work.
>>
No fun
>>
>>334880467

>That console-optimized shading

Jesus fucking christ
>>
>>334879692
i started to feel bored after 700hrs gameplay. now i try to take a break from it, if not i'll mess around using tgm and strange console commands.
>>
No story
>>
yes
maybe
no
(sarcastic response)
>>
>>334880585
>no
>implying you get that choice choice 9 times out of 10
>>
>gamebryo
>>
File: BWaV2mBh.jpg (175 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
BWaV2mBh.jpg
175 KB, 1024x1024
They lied and you listened
>>
>>334879692
You let /v/ decide what games to like even though /v/ doesn't even like games.
>>
>>334879692
Its a shooter but it was marketed as an RPG.
Also its running on a decades old engine, so no matter how much they gussie it up, its still going to run like shit.
>>
Bethesda.
>>
>>334879692
too much hype attached to the fallout name

just kidding it would have been forgettable trash even if it wasn't attached to the ip
>>
File: Leonard_Boyarsky.jpg (11 KB, 300x231) Image search: [Google]
Leonard_Boyarsky.jpg
11 KB, 300x231
>tfw original Fallout art director now works at Obsidian

The happening is soon
>>
File: 1440423475947.png (75 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1440423475947.png
75 KB, 323x323
>>334879692

Why was it bad? I enjoy this game does that mean I am bad?
>>
stupid fucking dialog wheel
>>
>>334879692
casuals ruined it just like they ruined dark souls 3
>>
>>334881268
not sure what that means. maybe you just like any old AAA shitshow
>>
>>334880783
i was really hyped for f4, but it was just boring desu
>>
missed the point of what makes good Fallout games good
>>
>>334879692
The gameplay was amazing, and far better than the other fallout games. I disliked the low amount of replayabilitiy. I love games you can play multiple times and make many different choices during each quest and get unique rewards as a tradeoff for missing the other unique rewards.There wasn't too much of that in FO4
>>
>>334881543
This so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw-sJW8mlMA
>>
>>334879692
Samey faction stories (literally just "destroy the other two factions" for each one)

So few speech options that many of them are literally duplicates of each other, obscured by different paraphrasing in the dialog wheel

Ghoul girl that wants to bang you, but you are forced to refuse her advances with lines that are all variations of "sorry, I'm still getting over the loss of my wife" meanwhile there are companions you can fuck whenever you want

Not even an epilogue that explains how your few choices throughout the story affected the Commonwealth
>>
eh, it was ok, felt like a fan made expansion to fallout 3

could have been god tier if they did a new engine for the game and actually put in effort in writing the story
>>
>>334881645
>someone took the time to make a video of this
>those dislikes
>>
I'm just patiently waiting for lewd mods to come out before I buy it.
>>
>>334881843
Never underestimate Beth drones. It only takes one line of criticism to trigger the shit out of them
>>
>very few interesting areas in the world
>yes/no dialogue wheel
>tons of unkillable npcs
>no stat upgrades
>shit perk system
>rehashed enemies, even in the Glowing Sea, the biggest slab of unrealized potential in a long time
>every building is just kill the guys until you find the big green box

For fucks sake, even the hidden shit off the sides of the map was just randomly generated garbage.
>>
>>334880585
Yes
Maybe ( Yes )
No ( Yes )
No ( Yes )

Fixed
>>
Bethesda once again has one million raiders and supermutants per actual regular human settler.

Boston has zero semblance of civilization despite only getting a single nuke, so it doesn't have the same stupid excuse as D.C.

The Institute is literally The Master and the Think Tank combined, with no Dr. Mobius to keep their retardation in check

And yet another mysterious heavily armed and supplied faction of chaotic evil mercenaries that are not an actual faction and only exist to be higher tier raiders. I guess Emil thought that Talon Company was good enough to copy and paste into Boston.
>>
unkillable npcs was a mistake
>>
The worst part is they've made starting a second character nearly impossible. The fuck are you going to do a good and sarcastic good run? I don't understand why they felt it necessary to remove the level cap.
>>
>>334882492
>level cap mattering
You should be bored and quit before hitting level 2 as a soft cap.
>>
>>334881645
this video should have more views

hopefully bethesda never makes another fallout
>>
>>334879692
It was infected by consolitis
>>
File: the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-8.jpg (681 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-8.jpg
681 KB, 1920x1080
>>334879692
Eh, I thought it was pretty good. Everything is an improvement from past games but the dialogue and voiced protag is pretty bad. It feels like I'm playing a defined character rather than my own and makes me get bored with FO4 a little faster than other games but everything else is still fun. The gunplay got a major, much needed upgrade.

Currently playing pic related until survival mode is released
>>
File: 20160419231213_1.jpg (644 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160419231213_1.jpg
644 KB, 1920x1080
>>334882598
I should have, but I didn't.
>>
>>334881645
i wonder if we could somehow force todd to watch this or debate these issues
>>
didn't feel like a fallout game at all
>>
>>334882247
>with no Dr. Mobius to keep their retardation in check

I would actually dispute this. Father wants you to lead the Institute because he says it needs "a leader, not another scientist", which I took to mean that he knew the Institute was losing its way and needed someone from the Commonwealth to guide it back to its original purpose (developing tech to help the future of the Commonwealth).

It's not stated outright, but that seems the most likely explanation since he knows he's dying.
>>
Fallout 4 has NO FUCKING QUESTS

There is literally nothing to do but rooty tooty point and shooty.
>>
>>334879692
the delayed creation kit
serious answer
>>
>>334883187
Literally the only reason I'm keeping it installed is for future mods, but my trigger finger is starting to itch.
>>
>>334881645
>>334882038
>>334882601
>>334882912
What's the point of the video? "It's not classic Fallout therefore it isn't a good Fallout game?" Newsflash: It's effectively Bethesda's now. And everything about how they've done 3 and 4 especially in setting both on the other side of the country says that they aren't going for what the original games were.

Grow up.
>>
Because it wasn't by Obsidian, fucking goddamn duh.
>>
>>334883373
the point is that the old games were good and bethseda games are not

obviously, daft cunt
>>
>>334883467
No, the video explicitly says "Bethesda will never make a good Fallout game." The games are good, but the narrator makes a point of saying that they aren't good games in the Fallout aesthetic, which is fucking obvious. No one has ever thought that what Bethesda was doing was dependent on the originals.
>>
>>334883373
Spoken like a true bethdrone. Fallout under Beth's direction completely misses every fundamental aspect of the genre it claims to be a part of, and the guy in the video just gives an in depth analysis as to why it's shit.
>>
>>334882109

Big green box?
>>
Voice acting completely killed the game. It takes way too much time to properly record each and every line. Because of this, obviously lines are limited. Because lines are limited, that means dialogue options are limited. Because dialogue options are limited, that means dialogue is simplified and is less significant. Because there is less significance to the script, then there is less depth to the story and quests. Because there is no depth to the story and quests, there needs to be a lot of quests. Because they need a lot of quests, they make a ton of repetitive and simplistic missions to repeat infinitely. Because they need infinite missions, they need to copy and past different locations to visit all over the map. Etc. Etc. Etc.

For some reason Bethesda decided quantity is better than quality, something that New Vegas was able to have both of.
>>
>>334883720
>Fallout under Beth's direction completely misses every fundamental aspect of the genre it claims to be a part of
>claims to be a part of
Where/when has Bethesda stated they're trying to bring back the originals?
>>
>>334883741
Loot chest. Like in Skyrim at the end of each dungeon.
>>
>>334883812
>Where/when has Bethesda stated they're trying to bring back the originals?

Never said this. You don't have to be exactly like the originals to be a good rpg. See: Fallout New Vegas.
>>
>>334883741
Chest of leveled loot at the end of each dungeon, just like in Skyrim.
>>
>>334883628
i have to disagree
>the games are good,
they're not, the writing and dialogue, the weak story, the available choices, literally everything about this rpg is weak as hell. it's a 4/10 rpg with some good parts sprinkled about.
>>
>>334883763
>something that New Vegas was able to have both of.
patrolling the mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter
ave true to caesar
ring a ding ding baby
>>
>>334883868

Oh gotcha. I turned off all markers in the game so whenever I went someplace new either I found what they wanted me to find or didn't.
>>
>>334883942
Are you just pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>334883878
>Never said this.
You said:
>misses every fundamental aspect of the genre it claims to be a part of
What is the "genre" you are talking about then? If you are talking about RPG's, then newsflash: the video wasn't talking about RPG's, it was talking about the specific system designed in Fallout 1 and 2.
>>
File: Todd Unamano.png (88 KB, 460x561) Image search: [Google]
Todd Unamano.png
88 KB, 460x561
>>334883085
They did the same thing with Skyrim except it was less obvious, you always got sent to some shitty dungeon to get some shitty item in a chest at the end of it for some shitty reward like a couple of coins.

I swear the next Bethesda game will have no fucking main plot, it will all be radiant quests.
>>
>>334884018
Those quantity of repeated dialogue lines huh
>>
>>334884035
Yes, the "RPG" system. You can actually roleplay in the first few Fallouts.
>>
>>334884165
>You can actually roleplay in the first few Fallouts.
And you can in 3 and 4.
There is more than one system of RPG, surely any simpleton can understand this.
>>
>>334884035
And they're designed like rpg's. Meaningful dialogue, giving players freedom while also giving them adequate consequence, having the world react to the player's actions instead of having the world revolve around the player, and many more is what (I personally believe) makes a good rpg. Bethesda doesn't care about this
>>
>>334880467
This pissed me off so fucking much.
>miner hat headlamp works
I was honestly blown away that Bethesda would even do that.
>power armour headlamp works
Amazing, another item with a functioning item that isn't just for show.
>combat armour headlamp DOESN'T WORK
WHY BETHESDA!? YOU DID FOR A SHITTY MINER HELMET AND THE POWER ARMOUR HELMET! WHY NOT THE COMBAT ARMOUR ONE!?
Legitimately rustled my jimmies there.
>>
>find all the FEV shit in the institute
>no option to bring this up to father
>no option to tell institute to stop kidnapping people/find out why they kidnap people
the dialog wheel thing really fucked them
>>
>decide to replay new vegas
>remember why I loved games
Why can't they make good games anymore?
Dark Souls III was the closest to a good game we got in a long time and it wasn't even that good.
>>
>>334884276
Did you read my post? Try again.
>>
>>334881645
I'm planning on playing Fallout 4 soon.
Will watching this ruin it?
>>
>>334879692
no tunnel snakes
>>
how can someone who loves fallout 3 and 4 hate on new vegas?

they have to be paid shills right?
>>
>>334884368
And did you miss the

>>misses every fundamental aspect of the genre it claims to be a part of

The guy was talking about rpg's, specifically GURPS, but it can be applied to other games in the genre, as well as the design philosophy Black Isle had while making their games
>>
>>334884496
The video talks about the differences between Interplay's original approach to Fallout 1 and 2, versus Bethesda's entirely different approach to the universe Fallout is in. The video, however, fails to address how these different interpretations mean anything other than "Bethesda's is different from the original."
>>
>>334884330
>WHY NOT THE COMBAT ARMOUR ONE!
Because it would interfere when moving the train and the npc's would starve.
>>
File: fallout3 redux reply counter.png (214 KB, 1544x856) Image search: [Google]
fallout3 redux reply counter.png
214 KB, 1544x856
>>334879692
It took everything FO3 did wrong and added more busted shit. The usual modders who come to the rescue couldn't even do that since the tools are being held hostage so Todd can attempt to milk DLC money first.

Bethesda really needs to contract their writing to people who have a clue about what they're doing. Shame they burned their bridge with Obsidian so bad.
>>
>>334884567
>but it can be applied to other games in the genre
A genre that includes a lot of fucking different games. Not all RPG's are Fallout, not all FPS's are Halo, not all RTS's are Europa.
>>
>>334879692
They went for "dazzle the normies" instead of "make any rational sense". Take the Prydwen, for example:

"The Prydwen was constructed at Adams Air Force Base over a period of six years. It took an initial two years to collect the materials necessary and another four to actually construct the airship. It weighs forty thousand tons, as noted by Lancer-Captain Kells. The nuclear core was taken from an old aircraft carrier as the previous one was not sufficient to efficiently power all the systems.

The airship is filled with hydrogen, as stated during the quest Airship Down. Four pylons attached to the ship's flight deck carry a single jet engine each, being responsible for controlling the Prydwen's altitude and help to keep the ship aloft."

Fucking nonsense. As soon as you start asking questions its entire existence falls right the fuck apart.

>six years?
>four to build it?
>40000 tons of scrap metal gathered in 2 years?
>40000 tons of metal kept aloft somehow?
>fucking jet engines? really?
>a nuclear reactor?

Its design is atrocious, too. Nice rudder in the center-back. Whoever drafted it was a fucking mongoloid.

The story is one of the most convoluted contrived pieces of shit I've ever seen, as well. Would go into more detail, but I won't bother.

Played well, at least. I liked the engine improvements.
>>
>>334879692
Made by Bethesda instead of Obsidian.
>>
>>334884248
Fallout 3 maybe a little, but definitely not 4.
>>
>>334884995
Define RPG then.
>>
>>334885106
A game that lets you fucking roleplay.
>>
>>334885106
FO4 is a role-playing game in the sense that you are playing the role that Bethesda has written for you.

It's about as deep as Mass Effect roleplaying is.
>>
File: 1449518902079.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449518902079.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>334885217
Even Mass Effect gives you more varied dialog options.
>>
>>334880714
what are you talking about anon, kojima didn't show a hot girl.
>>
>>334885140
What constitutes "roleplay?"
>>334885217
So you are saying Mass Effect is not an RPG? Final Fantasy is not an RPG?
>>
>>334885217

Hey now, Mass Effect had better role playing than F4.
>>
>>334884107
Oh, you are just actually retarded.

I was speaking about dialogue with people that you can converse with, but you are too stupid to use any sense of logic. Rather than talking to someone and saying four iterations of the same line (ex: "you are a dog"), New Vegas had 65k lines of quality writing that actually contributed to the lore, story, and background of New Vegas. There's a reason Fallout 3/4 are lifeless in story and gameplay and it's because the dialogue is so fucking asinine and terrible. Fallout New Vegas made you want to talk to everyone. With only four dialogue options of one word or small phrase, they made them all lead to the same thing. The game was simplified and had extremely repetitive lines that reiterated the same shit as the other three options. Stop being a dumbass.
>>
For me, the atrocious disconnect between the game's narrative and play killed it. In the logic of the game, my guy went from an idyllic suburban life, to seeing his family murdered and kidnapped in front of him, to going on wacky, unrelated adventures and banging his hot robot waifu in like 10 days. I can suspend my disbelief plenty, but it was just restarted how fast the "muh son" plot was dropped.

Also, whomever wrote the scenario for the fridge kid quest needs to be shot and hung. How that passed into the final game is way beyond my understanding.
>>
>>334885349
You're looking too deeply into the term to try to define a constant that can be applied to every single game under that type.

An RPG has a multitude of definitions, but the roots behind the term imply "playing a role". This made more sense thirty-odd years ago, when RPGs were their own thing.

Now you've got JRPG (final fantasy), TPSRPG (mass effect), WRPG (witcher, etc.), ARPG (souls games) and yet more.

Now, what you're stuck on is whether they involve role-playing, and most of those certainly do. What people are angry about, however, is the lack of player agency roleplaying or, to put it another way, "making their own character".

Mass Effect lets you do this. Final Fantasy usually does not. Bethesda was good about letting you roleplay out your character and have a headcanon until maybe FO3 and Skyrim, where you suddenly had a more clearly-labeled investment into the story (ur a dragonkid go kill draguns + MY DADDY)

FO4 takes that a step even further to where the entire first 3/5th of the plot revolves around searching for your son. You can't choose not to have a son. Not many other games or devs do what Bethesda did with 4, and with arguably good reason.

new vegas is a good example of the opposite because you've got no worldly connections aside from Ulysses and even that's somewhat ambiguous. you aren't immediately forced to go straight to the next main quest destination either
>>
>>334886013
>Fallout New Vegas made you want to talk to everyone.
And instantly become disappointed as it's another NPC with little or nothing to say.
Come on man, you're showing your age.
>>
>>334886153
>but the roots behind the term imply "playing a role"
Which 3 and 4 provide.
>What people are angry about, however, is the lack of player agency roleplaying or, to put it another way, "making their own character".
It's undeniable that there's less player agency in Fallout 4 than any previous iteration, now we are getting to a more substantive topic.

I'd argue that's largely because the game isn't focused around that, however: note how neither 3 or 4 has the subtitle "Post-Apolocalyptic RPG." The RPG isn't the core experience: the world is. And that's not an objectively bad thing in any sense.

But this conversation started about the video Gospel of Anon, so can we get back to that?
>>
>>334886167
Now youre be Strawman
>>
Fallout 4 is the perfect example of what is wrong with the AAA industry. They give more importance to the marketing and hype than the game itself.

Even /v/ fell for it with the Todd Howard memes.
>>
>>334886167
Making up shit doesn't mean you are right. From Goodsprings to Primm to Jacobstown to Black Mountain to the Brotherhood of Steel to each area of Freeside and its bars and shops to the casinos to each faction's home base and camps to the Followers of Apocalypse to the Remnants of the Enclave to the trading post to Red Rock to the NCR Correctional Facility to the Vaults and to all the small villages in between. There are countless NPC's to talk to that had significant dialogue contributing to the background of the town, other towns, the story, or to the lore of Fallout. You are really desperate to try to twist New Vegas as the empty game.
>>
>>334886848
There are a good amount, sure. Not any more than Fallout 3 though.
>>
FPS
>>
>>334884349
yup but casuals only want combat so we'll focus everything on that! itll be fine!
>>
>>334886429
>Which 3 and 4 provide

Not him but 4 doesn't have any roleplaying.

You cannot be evil or a dick, you have to chose between being a good guy or being a sarcastic hero. And unlike previous games in the series where different SPECIAL and Skill builds gave different game play experiences, in Fallout 4 pretty much every build revolves around shooting things, because Fallout 4 is pretty much Borderlands with a Post-Apocalypse skin and a tacked-on Mass Effect dialog system.

>The RPG isn't the core experience: the world is. And that's not an objectively bad thing in any sense.

The world is pretty much the main feature in all Fallout games, the world and the path your character carves on it and how his choices affect the wasteland in different ways.

The thing is, in previous Fallout games you and your character felt connected to the world the game takes place in, your actions had consequences and affected not only the state of the world, but also your relation with the NPCs.

And that's pretty much missing in Fallout 4, because of how limited gameplay is, the amount of builds you can roll is severely limited, things like the lack of a Karma system and the simplified dialogue and story take away immersion. The sandbox nature of the previous games is replaced with a Themepark design.

Now if you excuse me I feel like playing some Fallout 2 now.
>>
>>334887537
>Not him but 4 doesn't have any roleplaying.
Play the game, because you're wrong.
You're not really making a good argument. You're still relying on "It's not Fallout 1/2 therefore it's bad.
>>
>>334886960
Wow you went overboard on that bait dude. You claim my age is showing and then say that Fallout 3 has a ton of NPC's to talk to? In the three or four "cities" that consisted of about four NPC's in each to talk to for more than one line of conversation? The only people that talk to you are people that are a part of the main story. Otherwise, there is no dialogue. No background. Fallout 3 is notorious for its shitty script and writing and lack of depth. That's why Fallout 4 was even more mediocre. No way that you played through New Vegas and all its DLC and Fallout 3 and all its DLC and thought that there is a similar amount of dialogue. I've played through both games countless times and am still discovering new people to talk to in Fallout New Vegas. Fallout 3 has an extreme lack of any unique NPC's.
>>
>>334887773
Wow you're mad.
Calm down, kid.
>>
its bethesda what did u expect

the GAME was fun even if the storyline was horrible

frankly it was a game for normies and console faggots you have to just eat it up

maybe one day someone will make a proper fallout 3d
>>
>>334887804
>Has nothing to back up argument
>Y-you are a kid! Y-you're mad! I'm not retarded I swear!!

I'm 21 and guaranteed fucked a girl before you got your first pube
>>
>>334887928
No, you're just clearly hormonal right now and not worth talking to.
Also nice 16 year old level posturing, kid.
>>
>>334887928
>>334887804
>/v/
>>
>>334887928
What does that have to do with video games
>>
>>334887773
he's either
a, autistic
b, trolling
c, bethesda shill

this is the same guy that said the old games are just different, and not any better or worse
>>
>>334879692
I don't know where people get the idea that you cannot be evil from. My second character was an evil person who backstabed everyone and let a child die in the vault quest.
There's actually more options for your character in fallout 4 than oblivion, yet /v/ seems to think that oblivion is a great rpg.
>>
>>334888065
>this is the same guy that said the old games are just different, and not any better or worse
Do you think videogames are art? Honest question.
>>
>>334888058
He was trying to ad hominem, that I don't know what I am talking about because I am a "kid" despite the fact that I have been sexually active before he reached puberty, hence I am older than him.

Does that explain it simply enough for you or do you need a diagram?

>>334888010
I'm going to guess you are between the ages of 17-19 because you filler an argument to hide the fact hat you know nothing. A wise fool.
>>
File: 1460096536627.png (474 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1460096536627.png
474 KB, 1920x1080
About to play this game for the second time on XB1. What should my starting class be? I want to be able to do settlement shit and hack and lock and shoot stuff and do melee all very well.
Any recommendations?
>>
>>334879692
Fallout 4 is not an RPG.
>>
>>334888563
>you filler an argument to hide the fact hat you know nothing
I've been involved in arguments the entire thread since my post here: >>334883373

You're just too immature to argue with.
>>
>>334888479
no i don't
>>
>>334887710
Not either of those guys but there is no roleplaying in those games. I tried my second playthrough as a woman and tried to go down different paths but it was so repetitive still and I ended up with the same paths and guns to the point that I got bored and stopped playing. It's not like having low intelligence affects your interactions with others. Or the tradeoff for strength causes any difference in interactions to others. You are a vanilla man/woman who can decide which ending you want to the game. It's like if Halo let you upgrade the Master Chief's abilities during the campaign and then you got to pick which ending you wanted. It's boring and linear. In fact, Fallout 4 is almost as much of an RPG as GTA V is.
>>
>>334888942
Then that would explain why you think there is a hierarchical sense of objectivity.

You fail to accomodate for the idea, however, that different playstyles are for different experiences and thus a creative/artistic endeavor. RPG's are not the best games ever made because RPG's have no objective characteristics that make them better than, say, a platformer. Both have different design decisions, both with differing ideals and aesthetics. That's the core of art.
>>
>>334887710
>You're still relying on "It's not Fallout 1/2 therefore it's bad
Why do Bethesdrones say this when people liked New Vegas? No one is saying Fallout HAS to be turn-based isometric like 1 and 2, New Vegas showed us you can make a good RPG out of modern Fallout. It's just that Bethesda choose not to, and instead make FPS's.
>>
>>334889003
I'll ask you what I asked others:

Are you saying Mass Effect and Final Fantasy aren't RPGs?
>>
>>334886738
>Todd Howard memes

Literally forced.
>>
>>334888686
Please reply
>>
>>334889157
no, obviously games as a whole are subjective. fallout 4's story, writing, dialogue are all objectively mediocre though.
>>
File: dogew.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
dogew.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>334879692
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Fr7JnL8JbA
>>
>>334889195
What is Obsidian
>>
File: fallout.png (786 KB, 758x948) Image search: [Google]
fallout.png
786 KB, 758x948
>>
>>334879692
super over hyped

the graphics aren't actually that great, so many reused objects that went un-updated and created a lot of shit looking things like houses, cars and other objects.

gameplay was largely unchanged and there weren't any real new mechanics or things.

Story was fucking garbage desu senpai
>>
>>334889195
Fallout 3 and 4 do not focus on dialogue choices and quest choices. I already said this. You missed the point.
>>334889375
>they're subjective
>but objective
Can't have both.
>>
>>334883373

What?
What the fuck is this flip-flop shit?

Bethesda pushed HARD on Fallout 3 "staying true to the spirit of Fallout"
>>
>>334888841
>Too immature to argue with
>Fallout 3 was their first Fallout and they will do anything to defend it to the death
My first Fallout was the first one. Fallout 2 was my second. Fallout 3 was my third. And so on. I think I have more credibility than some bandwagon big talking teen who thinks that it isn't possible to make a good modern Fallout even though it's been done with New Vegas. Stop worshipping Bethesda and thinking they are some godsend company. They are shit at lore/story writing and are uninspired in their versions of Fallout. It is capable to live up to the bases of Fallout that the first two games set up, but Bethesda would rather buttfuck the series because it has the most blind fanbase that will buy anything it shits out. Bethesda is the wrong company to hold the license hostage and they do not understand how to make a quality and consistent game world and haven't understood for a very long time.
>>
>>334889593
>Fallout 3 and 4 do not focus on dialogue choices and quest choices
Exactly, they're not RPG's, they're FPS's.
>>
>>334886108
I thought initially that there was gonna be a twist where your character was actually a synth. I could have looked past the super-rushed suburban start if that had been the case. Implanted memories and whatnot.
But nope. Just super rushed.
Honestly I would have given more time at the start for the player to get attached to their prewar life. Introduce settlement building before the bombs dropped, and then have it be destroyed and derelict when you wake up. Give more of an incentive to rebuild in an attempt for your character to bring a semblance of their previous life to the post war world.
Maybe even have the first quest being meeting your wife/husband and fixing up your home. Getting your new life started before everything went tits up.
>>
>>334889424
>including fallout 3 into main series

There is Fallout RPG, which is 1 and 2, and fallout FPS, which is 3 and 4.
>>
File: Fallout 3 Ladders.png (545 KB, 1069x915) Image search: [Google]
Fallout 3 Ladders.png
545 KB, 1069x915
>>334879692
>CURRENT YEAR
>>
File: 1405306387016.jpg (84 KB, 405x727) Image search: [Google]
1405306387016.jpg
84 KB, 405x727
It's not New Vegas.
>>
>need to get to level 50 to take like 3 half-decent perks

The perks system in 4 is the worst I've ever seen in a videogame ever.
>>
>>334879692
It was made by people who don't understand the source material.
>>
One final argument to the people in this thread:

If you are solely arguing Fallout 4 is not a sophisticated RPG: I agree with you.

If you are arguing that Fallout games must be sophisticated RPGs, because the old ones were, then you are ignorant of how art and creativity works.

If you are arguing that, if one game has more indepth RPG mechanics than another game (NV vs 3) that those mechanics make it automatically superior to the other, you are again ignorant of how creativity works.
>>
>>334889934
Look at the Box art again.
>>
>>334889934
>the joke
>
>
>
>your head
>>
>>334889934

You're really dense aren't you?

He was saying New Vegas was the true Fallout 3
And Fallout 3 was BoS 2
>>
>>334889003
Yeah I hated how f4 toned down a lot of the role playing aspect too but to say that theirs no different paths isn't right. For example if you get to Goodneighbor's memory lounge before you rescue nick valentine you get special dialogue where you can explore your memories. Not to mention all the different factions have different missions.
And playing a melee/ stealth build was plenty different from my regular character.
>>
File: the toddler.png (605 KB, 429x613) Image search: [Google]
the toddler.png
605 KB, 429x613
>>334889954
>"Our engine is so shitty we can't do ladders lol"
>Still uses the same engine 6 years later
>>
>>334890174
I wouldn't mind an unsophisticated casual experience if everything else about FO4 was actually good.
>>
>>334881151
Along with tim cain
>>
File: SKYRIM WITH GUNS.png (564 KB, 650x1077) Image search: [Google]
SKYRIM WITH GUNS.png
564 KB, 650x1077
>>334890174
>generic, uninspired, lazy, broken
>art

:^)

next thing you'll say Fallout 3 and 4 were great games because they sold well.
>>
File: 20160420005032_1.jpg (914 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160420005032_1.jpg
914 KB, 2560x1440
>mfw
>>
>>334889235
Mass Effect is because you create a character and make options along the way that actually define your character. There are choice progressions. Fallout 4 does not have this.

Final Fantasy was created a really long time ago when it was not technologically capable to have a legitimate roleplaying base to the gameplay. The roleplaying was by weaponry and upgrades and putting yourself in as the role of the character. The series continued from there, but it's foundation was set. While it is considered an "RPG", it generally is barely an RPG. More of a strategy based game.
>>
>>334890210
NV is not it either. When everyone in the settlement you visit for the first time is glad to see you for no reason, when a hot girl gives you free stuff, that's not a Fallout game anymore.
>>
>>334889818
Honestly they didn't even need to go that far. All they had to do was railroad you early into some kind of red herring that lead your character to believe Shawn was kill, and have them go through some kind of grief period before some quest our event that made their new life goal to Make Commonwealth Great Againâ„¢

Bam, perfect excuse for the immense sandbox aspect of the game that people expected.
>>
>>334890174
Creativity is not involved in evaluating the final product.
>>
>>334881151
>now works at obsidian

Does it really matter ? unless obsidian is pulling their own post-apoc IP out of their ass, i wont feel bothered or interested with it.
>>
File: guess I dunno.gif (1 MB, 291x260) Image search: [Google]
guess I dunno.gif
1 MB, 291x260
>>334888686
>Fallout 4
>Class
Just check the wiki to see the SPECIAL requirements for each perk, dick knobbler
>>
>>334890498
Gonna need a source for this.
>>
>>334889424
There was no need to build settlements and the game is much more enjoyable when you just ignore them.
>>
>>334882826
>lvl 160

well i always start over at lvl 130 abit more or less, starting 120 you feel like an overpowered mongol.
>>
>>334890498
What is your suggestion for a tutorial area?
>>
You mother fuckers will always find something to complain about on a good game. I likes fallout 3, new vegas and 4. They were all fucking great and while 4 was different it offered great new things that help make the game great.
>>
>>334890779
My suggestion is not ruining the atmosphere, the most precious thing first two games had.
>>
>>334890803
>good
>great
>great
>great
>>
>>334879692
Its not that bad, people just insist on treating it as if it is a genre that it clearly isn't then get pissed off because it doesn't allow you to play it as that genre
>>
>>334890803
i had some fun with 3 and 4 i won't lie. the difference is that these games are going in a direction i don't like so of course i will blast them.

hopefully if enough people agree the games have gone downhill the industry will begin to change
>>
>>334890649
source is fallout new vegas
>>
>>334890174
>If you are arguing that Fallout games must be sophisticated RPGs, because the old ones were, then you are ignorant of how art and creativity works.
Bethesda are the ones branding their games as RPG's. If they're going to sell games which they call RPG's, they better be prepared to have those games judged accordingly.
>>
>>334890803
Most people outside of 4chan found it disappointing. And it have one of the sharpest drop in playerbase and discussion for a Bethesda title.
>>
File: chinese astronaut.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
chinese astronaut.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>334879692
>copied too much from recent beth games, made it feel like the same ol' same ol'
>quests were all just 'kill everything here"
>settlements seemed interesting until you've built three or four then they just become a chore that adds boring radiant quests
>world's a treat to explore and filled with interesting locations that you can't do anything with except kill and loot like you're a super mutant
>>
>>334890547
I can see that working as well.
My reasoning in wanting to extend the amount of time the player spends in pre-war suburbia was to actually have time building a relation with the characters you're supposed to grieve. Have the player create an attachment to their family and home so that there's more of an impact once they're gone.
>>
Terrible quests and dialogue.
>>
>>334880494
muh graphics
>>
>>334891435
But Anon!

That requires work, and we all know what Bethesda hates doing.
>>
>>334891125
But it doesn't happen. Settlements only gain any reputation of you when you do something that directly affects them.
>>
>>334879692
I've gotten word of a settlement that could use our help patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter
>>
>>334890418
What am I looking at?
>>
>>334891435
The impact for me was corn flakeskilling my wife because he wasted the time I spent creating her gave me a legit reason to hunt him down but there was never a reason to care about shawn babby
>>
>>334891725
Don't worry about it, man- the guy you're responding to probably thinks vague indifference is how people act when they're glad to see you because his parents beat him when he was young or something.
>>
>>334891812
the legs
THICK
>>
Here is the thing about the fans of some games.
They HATE change.
like when a game starts taking a turn in a new direction because they start frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog and yell that its shit because its different.
Even if the original games are of a dieing Genre or wouldn't further survive being a certain Genre Those fans would rather see the Series die instead of changing to try to stay around.
Its like How people were pissed that Saints row stopped being a GTA clone because there was no way it Could compete against GTA yet the fans got pissed because of that
>>
>>334892007
See:
>>334889195

No one hates Fallout 4 for being different, it's just a bad game. people who liked Fallout 1 and 2 also liked New Vegas, despite being different.
>>
>"AAA games on current consoles "

They are all default out into the shit category

If a game launches with a season pass it will officially stay in the shit category
>>
>>334891883
That's what it seems like. Apparently everyone is supposed to be edgy and cuss you out when you walk near them.
>>
File: 7128MOU7OIL._SL1500_.jpg (91 KB, 996x1500) Image search: [Google]
7128MOU7OIL._SL1500_.jpg
91 KB, 996x1500
>>334891981
Meh, She's not that appealing. Aesthetics are kinda bad.
>>
File: 1459177737192.png (1 MB, 772x1364) Image search: [Google]
1459177737192.png
1 MB, 772x1364
>>334879692
>>
>>334879692
Was better than 3 at least. Take that as you will.
>>
>>334879692
Because it tried too hard to be an RPG. Casuals just wanted another generic shooter but all the complex stats, dialogue choices, and quests got in the way of their desire to mindlessly shoot things.
>>
>>334891981
Oh. What's that structure, though?
>>
>>334892007
>How people were pissed that Saints row stopped being a GTA clone because there was no way it Could compete against GTA yet the fans got pissed because of that
For some reason I remember it completely differently. All the fans I know disliked the story parts of 3 that felt rushed and made no sense.
>>
>>334892747
artillery piece for the minutemen
in the castle
>>
>>334892096
I was saying that its clear that Bethedsa doesn't wan't fallout to be any sort of RPG anymore and is slowly getting rid of it because face it, RPG's as a whole are slowly dieing and most people don't care about picking skillpoints or whatever that 'fits' the character and are just going to minmax to get as much as possible and actual people who care about shit like skillpoints and dialogue options and all that are just a vocal minority
>>
>>334879692
we bought a fallout game, and a rpg

we got neither
>>
>>334881645
Someone post the analysis this guy is copying verbatim.
>>
>>334893079
>I was saying that its clear that Bethedsa doesn't wan't fallout to be any sort of RPG anymore and is slowly getting rid of it because face it, RPG's as a whole are slowly dieing
So then why do they still advertise their games as RPG's?
Also Fallout 4 was critically panned for it's shallowness and lack of role-playing. It sold a lot but that was only on hype, and following it's superior predecessors which actually were RPG's.
>>
>>334892007
Barely anyone cared about Saints when it was a GTA clone, it got popular when it stopped being a straight clone in 2. Complaints about Saints was during the 3rd game where it felt rushed/incomplete and the wackyness that it had used to distinguish itself from GTA felt overdone.
>>
>>334879692
piss easy and forgetable and they did literally nothing to update the engine except waste all their time on base building only to have it be completely meaningless in the game

the game just lacks actual good gameplay so badly, all it has is a mediocre story
>>
File: 1440954297968.png (1 MB, 772x1364) Image search: [Google]
1440954297968.png
1 MB, 772x1364
>>334892242
I made some updates to the comic desu.

Also neat someone saved my image.
>>
>>334879692
lacks personality
>>
File: 1446426471752.webm (715 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1446426471752.webm
715 KB, 1280x720
Bad animations
Bad graphics
Not enough quests
No roleplaying
Music was still bland
Dialogue options were repeated

The gunplay didn't feel too bad though, I liked that about it at least
>>
>>334879692
boring and repetitive
>>
>>334879692
they had no reason to make it good, they could just as easily do a shitty game with less of anything and get the same amount (or more) of money
>>
>>334892212
>Aesthetics are kinda bad.
What the hell are you talking about.
>>
>>334879692
no geck
>>
File: 1460804560838.jpg (74 KB, 706x1024) Image search: [Google]
1460804560838.jpg
74 KB, 706x1024
No traits

Perks were taken straight from skyrim, instead of a interesting perk each level that could change the gameplay or unlock new roleplay opportunities, you have to waste five levels for bonus damage on rifles, five levels on automatic weapons and so on, its not even fun leveling anymore.

Settlement shit being locked behind perks, again to give the illusion that perks are worth more than dog shit.

The settlement system is flawed and half done, but bethesta knew that modders would finish everything, so they did not even try.

Power armor was well done, but I still think it should have its own perk system.

The gunplay is not bad, but too many guns feel the same, and too many pipe pistols.

The legendary system is again just the enchanting system from skyrim.

There is no longer a chance for roleplay.

We all joked that fallout 4 would be skyrim with guns, and it is.
>>
>>334898667
I thought the robots were really well done
>>
>>334898667
power armor was done pretty well except that you get it in the "tutorial".
i really dislike having everything handed out to you.
>>
>>334898851

The robots were cool, and the automatron dlc despite being short finally gave us the chance of creating our own robot army.
>>
>>334890374
Here is the core problem.

F3 is oblivion with guns.

Beth coppy pastes the elder scrolls mechanics on to a other game and expects it to run.

Fallout and elderscrolls are not one and the same.

Yet betseda wants to trat them the same.
>>
>>334899047
Thats the elders scroll or rather elders brat approach.

No sens of danger. No acomplishment.

We just need a fucking tod farry hovering next to you telling how great you are and commenting every kill you do.
>>
>>334879692
It wasn't that bad. You're letting edgy cynicism form your opinions. It was just mediocre. It was good for a playthrough. I wouldn't buy any of the dlc, but it wasn't terrible by any means. Still, if anyone here is planning it, I'd definitely wait for a sale.
>>
>>334881268
It means you are capable of forming your own opinions unlike most of the underage memers on this board.
>>
>>334900660
Ohhhhhh

On a scale from1 to 10 how butthurt are you?
>>
>>334879692
Bethesda Fallout games primarily focuses the story on the protagonist rather than the world

They focus on narrow "yes or no" and "good or evil" paths instead of what solutions and outcomes your character went with and how you applied your skills to get there.

The quests in Fallout 4 are specifically set up to get you to score points and needlessly draw out the length of the game.

An example is how none of your actions have repercussions in the real world is radiant quests. You wipe out a dungeon full of enemies and take some loot. You can get the same quests over and over. Nothing changes.

Even with accepting quests almost every dialogue choice is either "Yes" or "walk away until you are ready to say yes". The NPC never goes away. Essential NPCs can never die. Nothing matters.
>>
Removal of pretty much all RPG elements, bad story that went nowhere, having its gameplay predicated entirely on its shooting mechanics, which where barely passable, terrible lip sync and voice acting, typical Bethesda quest systems in which the world looks to you to make all choices because you're the best guy and everybody loves you.

Take your pick.
>>
File: Untitled.png (95 KB, 1012x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
95 KB, 1012x1080
>>334879692
https://archive.is/WVCxd
>>
Any mods for this yet? I got it as a gift (from a friend), how can I make my experience less shitty?
>>
>>334879692

It wasn't.
This is bait.
I hope you die.
>>
File: mods will fix it.jpg (99 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
mods will fix it.jpg
99 KB, 1024x768
>>334902419
>>
File: 1452751925233.jpg (121 KB, 387x452) Image search: [Google]
1452751925233.jpg
121 KB, 387x452
>>334888686
>Fallout 4
>replay value
>>
>>334902639
>Fallout 4
>play value
fix'd
>>
>>334902248
Wow
>>
>>334879692
The story wasn't gripping in any way.

The world wasn't interesting.

The perk system made leveling unrewarding by putting boring but necessary things in with the fun things when they were separated into skills and perks in the earlier games.

They are freakishly slow about releasing proper mod tools.

And so on and so on.
>>
>>334902736
>shill
>>
Im having fun, you cant stop me!
>>
>>334902860
how am i a shill for saying that?
>>
>>334879692
Cos you played it
>>
>>334902419
here you you go

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61666/?
>>
Each new Bethesda game gets consolized and dumbed down even more than the predecessor.
>>
>>334903775
>new vegas
>good

Nice joke, kiddo
There were no good fallout games after the first two. They just can't replicate the atmosphere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_rii4KE4pQ
>>
>>334904108
they tried their best. the engine was to blame.

shitty animations and open world really messed with immersion.

but at least with New Vegas you can use mods to change the music and visuals. The game world is still structurally sound unlike modding Fallout 3 or 4.
>>
Which was your favourite out the three?

I really enjoyed the first one - I'm trying to enjoy the second one but there's SO much going back and forth between locales.
>>
File: Anon Lost Composure.jpg (332 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Anon Lost Composure.jpg
332 KB, 960x720
>>334887928
>he receives validation from women
>>
>>334904790
either 1 or 2, never really liked tactics.
i just wish 1 was bigger and had more to do
>>
>>334879692
because they didn't announce or show the game as it was developing so the community could give any feedback and just dropped a turd on our laps at E3 and then lied about how great it was. And they had the nerve to announce season passes for DLCs that have not been developed or even greenlit yet.
>>
>>334904790
Probably 2. The backtracking is a bit obnoxious but the UI is definitely improved from 1. Not a huge fan of a lot of the silly shit though. Played a goofy 10 luck/jinxed unarmed character to fit it better
>>
>>334881151
But no Avellone (Who also recently tweeted that Obsidian would probably not get to do another Fallout)
>>
>>334885336
How can you get away with two dialogue choices that are the exact same phrase? Does each choice have different tone?
>>
>>334881645
>They encourage you to play pretend and call it 'roleplaying choices'. What happens in the end, is a game where the player is a 'tourist' and the internal rules/logic of the setting are more like suggestions. And if the game can't respect itself as a work of fiction and abide by it's own rules, why should you respect it as a work of fiction?

this so fucking much
>>
>>334893174
i hope you can read
>>
>>334907089
>How can you get away with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvGXCisAaR4
>>
>>334890498
Considering New Vegas derives a large part of its content from Van Buren, the original 3, it should be considered the true Fallout 3. Also Obsidian is composed of Interplay and Black Isle employees.
>>
>>334884356
kill yourself
>>
>>334890645
some Fallout 1/2 guys also made Wasteland 1/2.
It's where the Desert Rangers come from.
>>
WHO WON THE LOTTERY?! I DID!
>>
File: 1449279460707.jpg (19 KB, 550x343) Image search: [Google]
1449279460707.jpg
19 KB, 550x343
>>334887928
>girl
>>
File: ATOM BOMB BABY.png (254 KB, 1038x1325) Image search: [Google]
ATOM BOMB BABY.png
254 KB, 1038x1325
>>334879692
Bethesda does not know what Fallout is
>>
File: 1377851155465.jpg (226 KB, 1684x948) Image search: [Google]
1377851155465.jpg
226 KB, 1684x948
>>334879692
Bethesda doesn't really have a design philosophy other than:" let the player do whatever he wants" , this may sound good on paper but in reality it damages roleplaying. They also don't seem to have any good quest and story writers since Oblivion. Their animators and programmers don't seem to have improved either.
>>
It's utterly shallow and soulless. They don't even pretend to give you a choice.
>>
boring world and no well written dialogue or interesting characters
>>
The biggest problem was that it was just a retelling of Fallout 3, instead of coming up with even an unoriginal story they just switched the player into the parent role. Gameplay wise they somehow managed to strip the game of even more RPG elements, turning it into more of an action/adventure game like Skyrim. It's almost as if the success from NV, despite their harsh treatment of the developers, pissed off Bethesda to the point that just spat in the faces of what remained of the modern FO fanbase. Sadly I was hoping this would wake up people and show them that Bethesda is incompetent and doesn't deserve such praise, yet it was still hailed as a great game.
>>
File: to the moon.webm (3 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
to the moon.webm
3 MB, 720x405
>>334879692
>>
>>334912464
immersion? what's that?
>>
File: 1457622513796.gif (1021 KB, 421x389) Image search: [Google]
1457622513796.gif
1021 KB, 421x389
>>334889954
>Play our game
>>
>>334912762
fuck bethesda and their immortal characters, srsly.

i know the dog is important and i love dogs but this is fucking retarded
>>
File: 1460953649451.webm (2 MB, 768x400) Image search: [Google]
1460953649451.webm
2 MB, 768x400
>>334879692
It lacks working girls.
>>
File: 1461106658377.png (71 KB, 403x438) Image search: [Google]
1461106658377.png
71 KB, 403x438
>just got curie
>do covenant
>put up a mila for tom
>curie wants to talk
>she already wants to be put in a synth body because ???
Why is this even a thing
It's like they went "hey let's put in a romanceable robot yeah oh shit people might
be weirded out make them put her into a meat cyborg first"
Why even fucking bother with the mr handy bit
It's like glory dying in all of the endings for some reason except the minutemen one but not really
I'm baffled, befuddled even
>>
>>334881645
>defending objectively outdated D&D simulators

Stopped listening there. I live in the absolute middle of nowhere Bible belt and even my town has two "nerd" stores with rooms to play tabletop games. You have no excuse for not playing real D&D.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.