[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nostalgia and p2w aside, which runescape is objectively better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 18
File: 543534535.png (174 KB, 761x499) Image search: [Google]
543534535.png
174 KB, 761x499
Nostalgia and p2w aside, which runescape is objectively better? New or old
>>
>>334874420
The very first runescape, not runescape 2.
>>
>>334874420
Whats the difference between the two? Which one is the one always on twitch
>>
File: 1447084881627.jpg (29 KB, 365x290) Image search: [Google]
1447084881627.jpg
29 KB, 365x290
I miss RS. I'd still pay them to play if they hadn't turned into it something unrecognizable.
>>
rs3 is literally (literally) one of the most p2w games on the market, even including chinese shit, which is saying a lot

it's also casual/easy/quick as fuck
>>
>>334874420
RS2. RS1 was my first MMO but I can't say I didn't love the streamlining that came with the update.
>>
/v/scape.
>>
> a year ago
> try to sign in, forgot pass
> jagex won't let me recover it
> even if they did I'd be forced into the new runescape
> make a new account to play old runescape with friend
> realize I can only play for a month before you have to pay to continuing playing the old version

Why is this allowed?
>>
File: osrs.png (307 KB, 1177x671) Image search: [Google]
osrs.png
307 KB, 1177x671
osrsfag reporting in
>>
I personally thought Old School RS was the most enjoyable version I had played. I haven't played since like last May though so I'm not sure what they've added since.
>>
>>334874420
The combat was RNG rock paper scissors stat checks, there was an absolutely retarded amount of grinding, gold income was too slanted towards either maxing a stat or RNG drops, and it took a retarded amount of monotonous grinding to level anything up.
>>
>>334875035
Forgot to add, I will say the one thing you can say for runescape is that it had some of the best quests in the business. None of that "slay 20 rock crabs or some shit and bring my their assholes" bullshit. Runescape doesn't get enough credit for how good it's quests are.
>>
WTF IS THIS RUNESCAPE NXT SHIT???
>>
File: 1360202097906.jpg (43 KB, 776x602) Image search: [Google]
1360202097906.jpg
43 KB, 776x602
>>334874951
>osrs
>playing bastardised "oldschool" RS2.5
>>
>>334874859
For once streamlining was not a bad thing for RS. Only talking about OSRS/RS2 here but things were beyond tedious in RSC.

One thing I definitely respect is they have never reduced the XP requirements for leveling either, you would think at some point they would have reduced it and made 99's a joke but they are still time consuming as fuck.

Also
>Level 93 is only half way to 99.
Fuck
>>
>>334875389
Runescapes quests are better than any of the big names MMOs. They all have individual stories and some of them actually take some thought to complete as well have unique puzzles and mini games (even if they can be pretty shit) required.

It had some some extremely memorable quests as well.

Pic related probably one of my personal favorites, and yes this is what I did to get through that room.
>>
>>334875602
Back then I used to just train everything to like 93 or whatever and give up except like combat, which I maxed all of it when Godwars came out. That shit was hilarious just seeing like you're only halfway at like 93. Pretty much killed my drive every time.
>>
>>334874808
>He's never heard of legacy
>>
>>334876189
I quite honestly never got a 99, was working on 99 runecrafting. People have found optimal methods to power level skills to 99 but some skills like slayer there is no quick way about leveling it.
>>
>>334876760
Thing is too, back then, like that shit was mostly pointless since barely anything required you to get a bunch of high stats. If you needed any shit, you just buy that shit with money. Reason why I only maxed like combat, range, etc. because the only fun shit back then involved you killing stuff. Like people would grind out combat at the Bandits in Guthans, but I maxed it just doing Slayer and Barrows at the time and making money.
>>
Come play vscape lads. New players are welcome. We always need more coal, flax and pess slaves.
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 525x688) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 525x688
Playing OSRS atm. The community sucks ass and has none of the old charm but the grinding and quests are still fun.

I seriously think Grand Exchange ruined the game. It eliminated the player driven market and made everything so trivial to get that seeing someone with a rare item just means they must have 100mil spare.

>Tfw walking past the west Varrock bank field, Falador park, and the Camelot bank and seeing them empty
>>
favorite quests?
>vampire slayer (getting locked in the mansion)
>dragon slayer (the holy quest for rune plate)
>Romeo and Juliet
>>
File: TMvbO7N.png (73 KB, 608x470) Image search: [Google]
TMvbO7N.png
73 KB, 608x470
Alright if someone wanted to start playing again (being a person who didn't even put more than 6-10 hours in the past) which fucking version do we want to do?
>>
>>334878008
the underground pass is the one that will always stick with me.

i was scared as shit at the time. like i was sure i'd just rot in there. my bro was trying to help me out and telling me what to do. there were lots of good quests i went on to complete, but i was older and wiser by then.
>>
>>334874420
"old" (i.e. 2007scape) is better than new.

personal favourite community: actual 2007
personal favourite gameplay and aesthetics: early HD

the new body-shapes of the player characters, cringe tier voice acting, and stupid real-world-currency-shop auras and whatnot have totally fucked up mainline runescape
>>
>>334877786
slayer was my favourite part of levelling an off combat skill.
there was something about all the prep and thought going into the type of monster you needed to kill.
>>
>>334877937

if memory serves, seers was usually full of botters picking flax or cutting maples, or someone asking for a law rune
>>
File: run escape.jpg (184 KB, 623x897) Image search: [Google]
run escape.jpg
184 KB, 623x897
>>
>>334877937
I'd recommend /v/scape, but it's even emptier. At least global chat stops you from feeling too alone in the world though, and rare items are still legitimately hard to acquire.
>>
>>334874420
the kind of community you had in 2006 RS cant be recreated, such an innocent and manipulable community we will never see again on this earth
>>
>>334879384
Agreed. Almost every single person who discusses MMOs these days does not seem to understand that even though the games changed as the industry expanded and profitability/greed became more and more primary, the people changed and even if you recreate the same game as it used to be, it will never ever be the same. No different than even if kids these days go have vidya sleepovers at a friends' house, they aren't getting the same experience we used to. Different times. Different people with different minds.
>>
It depends on what you prefer to do.

If you like bossing and gameplay, RuneScape 3 is the game for you.

If you like grinding, exploration, and achievements, Old School RuneScape is for you.

I play both games, I'm currently doing seren stones on RS3 while grinding money snek on OSRS.
>>
>>334875476
A new client that's based on C++ instead of Java, which improves optimization tenfold, allowing further view distances and better looking textures at better framerates.
>>
File: 1397518214367.jpg (13 KB, 232x185) Image search: [Google]
1397518214367.jpg
13 KB, 232x185
>>334876130

>mfw when I got that on my 2nd try
>If I ever have to go through there again i have since lost my diagram

Well then
>>
File: 1455821435291.jpg (574 KB, 587x978) Image search: [Google]
1455821435291.jpg
574 KB, 587x978
Runescape 3 for a game built on endgame and content.

Old School for grinding, player killing, and nostalgia.

RS3 is objectively better.
>>
oldschool if you like pvp, normal runescape if you like pve
>>
File: 1459121082438.png (312 KB, 389x386) Image search: [Google]
1459121082438.png
312 KB, 389x386
>>334879384

This is sadly why we'll never experience anything like it again. I've never experienced anything like it since. The beauty was really in the simplicity of the game and community at the time, but with time, it just becomes muddle by all the bullshit.

The closest I got was that PRS06 shit. That was because everyone was so desperate to experience RS again at that time. Like literally nobody here gave a shit about anything except getting into that packed, laggy ass server so they could play again. People were passing the wealth around and being bros since we had nothing to lose just like back then.
>>
>>334878621
This.

2007scape is undeniably, unquestionably, THE BEST runescape that has ever existed.
>>
>>334874634
I also love clicking a fishing spot 10 times to catch a single fish and being deafened by sound effects.
>>
>>334879384
>>334879906
Sometimes I feel like I'd be willing to go back in time to my middle school years, just running back home from school and booting up Runescape on low detail. Great years with little to no responsibilities, all of the friends that I made in Runescape, etc all gone. I sign on to runescape now and my friends list is just a bunch of numbers since all the inactive usernames got deactivated. Kind of depressing.
>>
seriously what the fuck were they thinking with RS after ~2011?

trade restrictions and such bullshit, sure, i get it, but the whole thing seems to have gone completely off the fucking rails since i gave up on it.

OSRS being a token fig-branch of sanity.
>>
>>334881867
the game has only improved since 2011, though?
>>
>>334882045
>Spinny-wheely-cash-for-goldy
>Improved
>>
>>334877786
Its still like that to some extent. I have not played in awhile but if I recall there's some skills where getting to 99 does not give you anything besides the cape. Woodcutting for example gives nothing after magics at 75 besides cutting trees faster, empty levels are a huge turn off for me.
>>
OSRS's advantage over RS3 is "integrity" of skills, which literally doesn't matter. By contrast, RS3 actually gets new quests, which are fucking great, as well as the Dungeoneering activity which is really fun.

It's not worth sustaining a subscription to either game, but I buy a subscription to RS3 with a bond (which let you pay for membership with coins) every few months to blaze through the latest batch of quests.

RS3 would have been better without the deluge of p2w that has seeped from SoF into Treasure Hunter as well as the homogenization from shit like lodestones, the toolbelt, and every detail of updates announced so far in advance, but at least it's not ENTIRELY centered around the experience of a bunch of autists who actually care about how many hours people spent running between a runecrafting altar and a bank.
>>
>>334878408
See >>334876130
When I redid underground pass on OSRS I actually enjoyed it more because I paid attention to the story details it was really creepy. The music really set the mood and tone for the quest fucking love me some good runetunes.
>>
>>334882703
the character models are shit in RS3

it's an autistic complaint but it legitimately bothers me. in OSRS and with the original HD models, you looked like a pretty average guy/girl and could customize your equipment to either look weak, strong, etc.

With the new HD models if you're a man you're forced to be strong, and if you're a woman you're forced to look more "womanly". this doesn't just affect you though, it affects every player owned character. to make it even worse, the NPCs still have normal body-types, so you're forced to be an outlier, looking different to them.

i'm not coming from a perspective of a fat neckbeard who resents being shown someone who's actually /fit/ either, i don't mind my character looking /fit/ in armor going out to PVP in the wilderness. I do mind him looking /fit/ when i'm trying to look like an inconspicuous baker.

"immersion" is probably a meme at this point, but it really does break it to have the player characters and NPCs have significantly different body-types without any real for change. i wouldn't mind the addition of more body-types if they were optional.
>>
>>334882351
>that's the only update that's ever happened in the last 5 years

kk, so you're just a retard
>>
>>334884362
it was a singular example because you said "only improved"

strictly speaking, a single instance of an update that was not an improvement (or in this case made things worse) disproves that statement. a comprehensive list is not necessary.
>>
>>334879384
>Hey man ill trim ur armor we just need to go out to wildy.

My brother actually got a temp ban for scamming addy armor off someone back in the day.
>>
>>334884362
>>334882351
treasure hunter is literally garbage anyways
unless you spend billions in gold or thousands in dollars, you will NOT get anything worthwhile that you could of just done by playing the game.

>>334884612
if you recover from alcohol addiction in 5 years, but around the 1 year mark you relapsed but immediately got back on your feet, you still only improved.
>>
>>334874808
>never heard of osrs
>>
>There are people on /v/ RIGHT NOW who think RS3 > OSRS or RS3 > RS2 (pre-2013)
>>
>>334884905
>official private server for runescape
no thanks

>>334884908
no one thinks RS3 > 2006 RuneScape, but RS3 is miles ahead of OSRS
>>
>>334884905
osrs has been out for like 2 and a half years at this point (no idea exactly how much), but there has been a total of ~~0~~ quests released, and only one in the pipeline

that's pretty fucking inexcusable; the only content that's really worthwhile in RS is the quests and the minigames, and no one plays the minigames so they barely count
>>
>>334874420

Runescape 3. I will still defend RS2 to the death, however.

>>334874845

I don't know man, I don't think you can buy a near-capped character in RS3. It's not P2W, it's P2 have some cool cosmetic override bullshit.
>>
>>334885080
>I don't know man, I don't think you can buy a near-capped character in RS3. It's not P2W, it's P2 have some cool cosmetic override bullshit.
the dude was straight up baiting, don't even bother replying
>>
>>334885017
>RS3 is miles ahead of OSRS
how?
>>
I miss everything before EoCscape.

But Rs3 does have some cool shit.
>>
>>334878217

/v/scape, it's free
>>
>>334885183
how isn't it?
>same exact quests but better in RS3
>bosses like Zeah are just Queen Black Dragon reskinned
>the community is heavily swayed by the twitch community which is cancerous is fuck, so it's absolutely nothing like it was back in 2005-2007
>claims the community isn't obsessed with competitiveness like the RS3 community, yet completely is, deadman mode races happening, clans reign everywhere, etc.
can you name any reason OSRS is better than RS3?
>>
>>334885487
>>same exact quests but better in RS3
meant to say same exact quests but even more

>>334885227
>>334878217
I would definitely recommend /v/scape, it's fun and doesn't have any "originel contant donut steel", and has a nice tight community that isn't AWFULLY circlejerky

>>334885195
there's nothing inherently wrong with EoC, it had a few bumps on release but now it's made the game feel like a lot more than just a grindy point and click MMO
>>
>>334885487
>same exact quests but better in RS3
>>334885721
Awful voice acting in certain quests. (admittedly limited in number, but completely unnecessary, showing poor direction.), also muh Romeo and Juliet.
>the community is heavily swayed by the twitch community which is cancerous is fuck, so it's absolutely nothing like it was back in 2005-2007
>claims the community isn't obsessed with competitiveness like the RS3 community, yet completely is, deadman mode races happening, clans reign everywhere, etc.
The community is shit no matter where you go, 3 or 07.

Points against 3 off the top of my head:
Other players are obnoxious as fuck to look at with their stupid auras.
Character model thing >>334883786 isn't a problem in 07.
Building on that, I'm not a fan of a lot of the little indescribable aesthetic changes in the newer additions. It's not simple nostalgia for worse graphics either; I liked HD.
Lodestones are convenient in the short term but change the feeling of going on a long-distance adventure quite significantly.
Treasure hunter/SoF is still a terrible idea.
The new UI is shit before customization and still pretty dire after it.
EoC isn't everyone's taste (Personally I could get over it.)
Seriously fuck auras.
>>
EOC is poop. What were they thinking.
>>
>>334886591
Shit, I posted too soon. I was going to offer some other points.

For example the improved audio in 3 is genuinely helpful at providing atmosphere, it's just that's balanced out by other things like auras destroying that same atmosphere.

I was also going to state that I've not played 3 recently (i.e. within a few months), hence the cursory nature of my complaints.
>>
>>334886591
>Awful voice acting in certain quests.
>brings up Romeo and Juliet
is that a fucking joke? that quest was so fucking cringey
also no one listens to the voice acting, let alone even turns on sounds, the stories are what are good

>Other players are obnoxious as fuck to look at with their stupid auras.
>Character model thing >>334883786 isn't a problem in 07.
these are fucking awful complaints

>Building on that, I'm not a fan of a lot of the little indescribable aesthetic changes in the newer additions. It's not simple nostalgia for worse graphics either; I liked HD.
completely subjective

>Lodestones are convenient in the short term but change the feeling of going on a long-distance adventure quite significantly.
waah why does the game not let me do tedious tasks over and over again like walking across the map multiple times an hour for simple things

>Treasure hunter/SoF is still a terrible idea.
yet there's nothing really wrong with it, it brings in neat promotions that literally anyone can take part in, such as the ninja event we had not too long ago

>The new UI is shit before customization and still pretty dire after it.
ui looks absolutely fucking fine and is easy as shit to customize, pic related, my ironman I'm playing right now

>Seriously fuck auras.
this is the dumbest complaint I've seen about RS3, auras are almost useless and barely even add that good of cosmetic effects
>>
>>334887185
>auras are almost useless and barely even add that good of cosmetic effects
that's the fucking point, they're ugly ugly ugly.
>>
>>334874420
New if you play ironman and ignore all the p2w garbage.
>>
>>334874420
/v/scape a best
>>
>>334887469
I'm in the teamspeak and hate you cunt
T. Anonymous
>>
ACK
>>
>>334878008
So awesome.

Completing Desert Treasure and getting 94 magic for Ice Barrage was the sum total on my ambition as a 12 year old.

DT was a good quest, Monkey Madness was a good quest, favorite new quest is probably Fate of the Gods because I really love Zaros and have waited for years upon years to see what he looks like.

Another classic was Underground Pass, as someone else mentioned. All but FotG are watershed moments in your RS career.
>>
>>334887603
SQUAAAAAAAAACK
>>
File: Tawny Frogmouth.jpg (43 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
Tawny Frogmouth.jpg
43 KB, 425x282
SKREEE
>>
Old.

New Runescape tries too hard to get the WoW audience, adds cancerous micro-transactions and turns the story into a shitty fanfiction

>DUDE LET'S FEATURE THE MYTHOLOGICAL GODS IN A QUESTLINE AND EVEN KILL SOME OF THEM LMAO

RIP Armadyll
>>
>>334887185
>is that a fucking joke? that quest was so fucking cringey
It wasn't voice acted. the "muh" was supposed to indicate that while i don't care about the specific quest, in abstract the removal of a quest is undesirable.
>also no one listens to the voice acting, let alone even turns on sounds
Fuck you, the soundtrack can be good. (and if my memory is right, they butchered some of it.)
>these are fucking awful complaints
How dare someone want aesthetically pleasing characters in a videogame!
>completely subjective
Yet statements on the quality of the community or quests are objective fact.
>waah why does the game not let me do tedious tasks over and over again like walking across the map multiple times an hour for simple things
It's called a teleportation tablet. Buy it. (yes, it also cuts down on that travel, but having to prepare is a fair trade.)
>yet there's nothing really wrong with it
Ha ha ha. He he he. Ho ho ho.
>ui looks absolutely fucking fine and is easy as shit to customize
Unless you want "fuck off and take me back to 2011" because an option to completely minimize all changes isn't there (even the option to make it "oldschool" makes it an emulation instead of anything like what is desired.)
1/3 of the screen taken up by the UI looks wonderful, though!
>this is the dumbest complaint I've seen about RS3, auras are almost useless and barely even add that good of cosmetic effects
They're useless and the cosmetic effects they add aren't that good. do you think that may be the root of my complaint? do you think perhaps I dislike seeing other characters look like they've stepped out of deviantart?
>>
>>334887869
Zaros fags
Pls stay
>>
>>334887960
>Fuck you, the soundtrack can be good. (and if my memory is right, they butchered some of it.)
the soundtracks now are still god tier, I'm talking about abstract noises and voices
>Yet statements on the quality of the community or quests are objective fact.
because a good community is what makes an MMO succeed, not whether or not everyone likes the graphics
>It's called a teleportation tablet. Buy it. (yes, it also cuts down on that travel, but having to prepare is a fair trade.)
that really isn't a fair trade
>Ha ha ha. He he he. Ho ho ho.
xd memes le MEMES hahahHA XD!
>1/3 of the screen taken up by the UI looks wonderful, though!
you mean like OSRS, where the UI takes up 2/3 of the screen....?
>>
>>334887960
>They're useless and the cosmetic effects they add aren't that good. do you think that may be the root of my complaint? do you think perhaps I dislike seeing other characters look like they've stepped out of deviantart?

That's the worst part about Runescape. The fat, ugly Piggly Wiggly bagger trailer park trash that used to play and just buy rares has now evolved to buying retarded cosmetics so that they all look like supermen or models.

Everyone in Prif who dances in a circle wearing their beachwear tops and gnome scarves is a major fucking faggot.
>>
>>334887869
>>DUDE LET'S FEATURE THE MYTHOLOGICAL GODS IN A QUESTLINE AND EVEN KILL SOME OF THEM LMAO
there's been god quests since as far back as 2006... probably even earlier, it's just what everyone was interested in after While Guthix Sleeps, and so they continued on it
>>
RS3 for epic hats and pay to win.
>>
>>334888469
>Zaros fags

Cannot wait for FotG2, I hope Zaros cuts Zamorak's nuts off. I wonder how the light/dark simulacrum choice will play into that quest and the future storyline for Zaros, but given the implied ramifications of one choice over the other, I'm willing to bet absolutely nothing major will happen in the quest.

The Mahjarrat are easily my favorite race in any game ever. Great lore, great interplay with Zaros/Seren/etc.
>>
>>334874420
The runescape before summoning was released. That's kind of the point when RS went down the drain.
>>
File: 1454519152157.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1454519152157.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
I come back to RS once every year for a month or so to do all the new quests and grind a bit. I really love the story and the elder god and Zaros shit is really interesting.

Last time I played I got a shadow dye from a treasure trial which is like a 1 in 10,000 drop rate and it sold for 1B.

I've never had that much gold before, it was right before a double XP weekend too so I got shit like smithing, herblore and prayer to 99 using dosh. Logging back on with NXT and seeing my skill levels almost feels unreal, I never thought I'd ever get a 99 and least of all herblore as the first.

Still got like 260m left, but I spent a lot of it power leveling those skills and buying shit like torva and a noxious scythe. Anyone that still play know if the level 85 weapons from the GWD2 are worth it? Really don't want to drop more on a noxious seeing as having one for my primary magic playstyle is good enough.
>>
>>334888667
>the soundtracks now are still god tier, I'm talking about abstract noises and voices
Why would you bother disabling abstract noises?
Voice acting is the only thing actually worth disabling, and even if you turn it off it still indicates that the direction of the game is controlled by idiots and almost entirely unconstrained (unlike RS07 which is constrained by being "oldschool" and token community approval.)
>because a good community is what makes an MMO succeed, not whether or not everyone likes the graphics
And what makes a good community is technically subjective. (I'm not arguing it's good here, simply that "subjective" as a retort is pretty worthless. Even "I personally disagree because X..." is better.
>that really isn't a fair trade
About a thousand coins is too much to be worth crossing the map almost instantly? 1k is pocket change. It's only worthless in comparison to doing it for free, but doing it for free removes the token penalty/reason you might decide against it.
>xd memes le MEMES hahahHA XD!
Come now, at least I was remotely creative. That's just shitposting.
>you mean like OSRS, where the UI takes up 2/3 of the screen....?
Was someone too silly to set the game to scale to the display (enlarging the 3d window while leaving the 2d one static)?
>>
File: 1435982477027.png (63 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1435982477027.png
63 KB, 256x256
>>334889318
they're okay.
t90 accuracy with t80 damage. Useful if you don't have the dosh for normal t90s and want to get into bossing.
Congrats on the Dye, man. I never do clues anymore because I've never gotten any kind of cool reward.
>>
>>334889338
>Was someone too silly to set the game to scale to the display (enlarging the 3d window while leaving the 2d one static)?
which looks absolutely fucking awful, making the UI look horrendous, and basically only upscaling shit, not to mention that resizable makes the client run like shit
>the direction of the game is controlled by idiots and almost entirely unconstrained
Those decisions are made by the exact same people who make decisions for OSRS you imbecile
>About a thousand coins is too much to be worth crossing the map almost instantly? 1k is pocket change. It's only worthless in comparison to doing it for free, but doing it for free removes the token penalty/reason you might decide against it.
which is all needless tedious bullshit, no one wants to walk places they've seen a million times before while questing
>>
>>334889318
I don't want to ruin your smile, but you probably spent your money pretty badly if you only have 260m left of 1b from just getting 99 prayer, smithing and herblore during a dxp weekend.

The gwd2 stuff is pretty shit, just get dual drygore maces which cost around 15M each. Drygores are better for single target while scythe is better for aoe.
>>
>>334890324
>>334889318
also sell your torva if you still have it, the prices are really high because of invention, and they're only ever going to go down, it's really shitty gear to the other stuff you can get anyways.
>>
>>334889904
>which looks absolutely fucking awful, making the UI look horrendous
The UI looks no worse than it otherwise would.
>and basically only upscaling shit,
It widens the field of view for me.
>not to mention that resizable makes the client run like shit
PEBKAC, works on my toaster, etc, etc.
>Those decisions are made by the exact same people who make decisions for OSRS you imbecile
Nice of you to cut out my pre-emptive retort to that:
>unlike RS07 which is constrained by being "oldschool" and token community approval.

>which is all needless tedious bullshit
buying a few tablets on the GE is so tedious.
>no one wants to walk places they've seen a million times before while questing
Avoiding the temptation to go for the "I do, I'm one, technically false." response I'm instead going to point out that you can take multiple different routes and do other things en-route.

By "streamlining" things entirely, everyone takes the immediate route and there's no opportunity to run into anything or anyone cool en route. You'd be as well having everyone on ironman. (it's rarer than a Red Heifer to run into a cool person, but the chance still exists. Usually I just run into cool things.)
>>
>>334876130

Runescape quests were also very rewarding for some of the high tier. For example, unlocking a lot of fast travel systems. To raise your farming skill without them would have been stupid.

Shit, if I could go back and play my OSRS character exactly how he was again I would probably have a ton of fun just doing sandbox stuff. Having to grind back 70+ in most stats, a quest cape, etc all over again is just too much.
>>
playing rs for the grind in itself is doing it wrong
>>
>>334889904
Lodestones reduce the scale of the game.

The jump from Morrowind to Oblivion as mentioned in another thread here in terms of walking/buying travel to map-based fast travel really felt like it shrunk the game world and diminished the immersive experience. Using magic or buying passage on a trip in Port Sarim is a much different feeling vs just lodestoning everywhere. Most of the teleport spells are basically useless.

That being said, I use lodestones all the time because I'm a normal person who doesn't want to spend 10 minutes walking somewhere.

I still think they're a negative addition for new players and would rather they only be unlockable after completion of tasks/quests/skill level requirements. That is to say, you can't figure out how to use the Lumbridge lodestone unless you unlocked the Lumbridge teleport spell; can't use Draynor until you unlock the Lumbridge teleport spell and complete Vampire Slayer; can't use Falador's until you unlock the accompanying tele spell and do Black Knight's Fortress or Death of Chivalry, whatever it is now. Varrock, Demon Slayer and Varrock teleport.

You get the idea. I think that'd definitely improve the quality of the game and immersive experience for new players, but you'd get zero support from the current community.

Purely my opinion.
>>
File: vscape.jpg (85 KB, 775x545) Image search: [Google]
vscape.jpg
85 KB, 775x545
>>334877894
This, come play vscape.

2.25* exp rate so the grind isn't as bad. Permanent run energy everywhere but the wilderness.
>>
>>334890841
Replace lodestones with a horse-and-cart network that you have to pay a token fee - even 10-100 coins - to use and you'd improve it immensely.
>>
File: 82b1f499b092ff82.jpg (29 KB, 600x424) Image search: [Google]
82b1f499b092ff82.jpg
29 KB, 600x424
>>334889236
Summoning was OK. It was really useful once they started adding more bosses to kill, but you actually didn't need them I guess. The turning point for me was either GE or Skillcapes. The community really changed after that. EOC pretty much was the stake to the heart for me tho. I took everything they threw at me up until that. If they hadn't changed it, I'm afraid to admit that I might still be playing unless I really hated whatever other new shit they added.
>>
>>334879906

Wikis trivialized MMO veterans outside of niche skills like being the best and most skilled at certain things
>>
>>334890624
I think we're on the same page. I've felt the pull recently to just want to start a new character.

My current main can do pretty much anything and everything within reason, but I'm not maxed. All 80+, a few 80+, and a few 90-99s. No quests to do. Can fight almost anything, don't feel like grinding to make 500m and buying ugly cartoonish shit T90 weapons. Ports is fun, but very limited.

Still love the game, want to start over, but at the same time I do not want to grind back to level 70 shit because I'm not a 12 year old anymore. Would be much happier if we could just do a quest reset and replay our favorite quests.
>>
>>334890324

I binge bought a lot of shit I didn't need like a legendary pet, got some nice stuff like a dragon pickaxe and wildy wyrm weapons but I can resell that I guess.
>>
>>334891123
I wonder if there's a word to express this kind of problem.
Wikis make everything simple and more convenient, they "objectively improve" things.

Yet ultimately it's still more pleasurable to get information from an actual person a lot of the time - even if it's like taking blood from a stone.

You can restructure a sentence to say wikis trivialize it or such, but that doesn’t encapsulate the full nature of the problem. You can say it's a simple supply-and-demand problem altering the value of information as supply is greatly increased for the same effort. Again, that would cover it without conveying the scope of the issue.

Perhaps encapsulating it properly is pointless since it's unsolvable in practical terms.
>>
>>334891227

The freedom to do ANYTHING was what appealed to me. I had day by day objectives of shit I grinded just for fun.

>Today I want to work on doing the fire cape challenge
>today I want to go farm dragons because I am bored and need the hides anyways
>Today I will go kill iron drags and shit and hope for the best because I am bored of grinding other stuff
>Today I will go gather resources to do huge quests such as Chefs quest
>tomorrow I will actually do a portion of chefs quest

etc. The game was amazing in design, and I only stopped playing it because I didn't have a good support network of friends really and WOW took over my life in high school.
>>
>>334890761
I have literally no idea why but that's all I did when I played as a middle schooler. I fucking hated doing quests. Bought a membership one summer between college years and played through a bunch of quests having a blast.

I was a fucking weird kid I guess
>>
>>334891397

Having information that is difficult to obtain, makes it so that people who do have it have a valued role. All my friends asked me to walk them through Monkey Madness etc, super trivial experiences but at the time they had no clue what was going on. Here I was doing the highest level quests, going into elven lands etc that if I died or made the wrong move and wasted resources I would be hours down the drain. I could walk around and feel proud of my character, because I had things I did that made me stand out from other players.
>>
>>334876130
That's true. But then again
>Doing the light puzzle
>>
>>334891008
I'm not inherently opposed to the lodestone network, but I think it should be rewarded based on achievement and gameplay vs running around with a noob and unlocking instant access to the whole map in 10 minutes.

Horse and cart would take up a lot of space, which brings up the popular point that the map is getting increasingly crowded and needs to be expanded, quickly and badly. I saw in a Dev Q&A that sounded like they added a system to NXT by which they could modify the terrain and add new areas more easily. I hope they actually DO expand the map, because holy fuck is it small and crowded. They really should have baked that capacity or rather those plans into the NXT engine or maybe a second generation, because the next phase of leadership at RS will probably need to expand the map. Expand everything by 10-20% and the game would be substantially more future-proofed and have much more life in it. Expanding further with the advent of NXT might actually make cities feel like cities. I'm no programmer, so I don't know the difficulties that a map expansion would entail, but I think it should be a long-term priority for the dev team.

I'm with you on it though, as an option. Would add that instant travel but maintain an RPG feel. Would have to be unicorns since apparently horses don't exist in-game. HYUCKHYUCKHYUCK

Oh and also, Goebies fucking suck. Gayest content I've fucking seen. Major fuck up with that plus Invention, which is also gay but less so than Mazcab. Just wanted to throw that in there. It's a horrible expansion of the game world. Shit atmosphere, stupid fucking content, stupid characters. The Goebie quest was like chewing on broken glass for me. So horribly un-Runescape-y.
>>
>>334891509
Not same guy.

I felt like for me, that sort of disappeared with time as the game became more demanding. I don't blame it for becoming so because it's just natural. Like, back then, the game was very simple, I mean, after awhile I figured that, wow, all I had to do was max out melee, range, magic and pray and I didn't need to do shit anymore to be the king since I was rich killing stuff all day. Fuck doing plebshit like fishing when I could just buy a few thousand lobsters in W2. Don't get me wrong, as I got older, there was nothing to do and I found a certain comfort in skilling, since I had nothing to do. However, I just found myself skilling all day to fill out my diary of shit I needed to do. There was freedom but it still felt like a prison somehow.
>>
are there many people playnig minigames on osrs?
>>
>>334891509
Yeah. I stopped playing for a while because I had no friends that played and high school took up too much time.

It's rough grinding now. I just want to fish, I don't want to play Fish Flingers for XP. I'm fishing sharks right now to level my Rod-o-matic for Invention, took like 10 hours for 170k fishing XP. dafuq

Late game gets on my nerves, everything but combat is annoying as fuck to train past 80-85.
>>
>>334892461
There are probably always new PK accounts getting void, I'm sure.
>>
>>334892461
Usually only Spotlight. Castle Wars has devolved to the point that unless you're a faggot max caper with T90 everything, you might as well not play.

In 07 I was only level 60-70 combat and consistently one of the best players in the game, always scored a shitload. Today I'm almost max combat but use mostly GWD shit and the game is honestly unplayable, I'm useless.
>>
>>334892902
thats one of the reason i didn't bother even playing much when i gave it another chance. like fuck you need to max out everything, get like a billion dungeon shit and get end game shit. that was never runescape. even if you were poorfag, just put in a little work and you could get by with mediocre gear back then without getting absolutely btfo.
>>
>>334893197
>>334892902
>OSRS players always complain about RS3 being too easy
>suddenly the game is too hard
????????????
>>
File: 2016-04-19 22_07_34-_v_scape.png (112 KB, 493x448) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-19 22_07_34-_v_scape.png
112 KB, 493x448
>>334874420
/v/scape going away party
>>
>>334893301
>Mango
rip
>>
>>334893301
>bye guys, im leaving forever :((((
i wonder which faggot took this picture
>>
>>334893241
not him, but in theory:
difficulty of core game remains unchanged (not true, but it's a fair assumption for example purposes.)
makeup of playerbase changes from mostly kids having fun to mostly adults who take perfect optimization very seriously.
result: anything interacting with other players like PVP rockets in difficulty even if there's been no change in core gameplay mechanics.

so in the past, one could get by as mid-level, mediocre-equipment guy because lots of innocent kids would be fighting it out as low-level low-tier equipment guys, and occasionally the mid tier guys would in turn be btfo by the high-tier guys.

whereas in the present, the only PVP you'll realistically find is high-tier guys as people training to be high-tier go PVE and people at the lower tiers don't head into the wilderness because it's not a good idea mechanically and there are no other low tier players to fight.
>>
>>334887185
Sup, Quietess, did you enjoy that botting ban I got you? :^)
>>
lol the graphics are beyond retro
>>
>>334893835
addendum:
this also applies to new monsters, quests, whatever.

when you have a relatively expanding (or just low tier) playerbase, it's a good idea to make quests and new monsters for everyone, so everyone can get by passively and those kids see an expanding amount of content.

when your fanbase is mostly lvl99s and pures, you instead create more walled-off content where you need to be high-tier to get access to most of it anyway.

yet again mid-tier is often fucked.
>>
>>334893197
And the only shit that was super expensive was rare shit like party hats, not quality-of-life altering shit that so horribly skew the game in their favor that using them is

Best part about RS is that for every obnoxious faggot who plays and wears everything blood dyed or from Solomon's, you have just as many old school people like us who only like to play casually and don't give a shit about Runescape fashion trends or status.

>>334893241
RS3 is super easy to get XP because there's a million FCs and free XP every other day. They stopped giving away XP lamps in spins because it was literally buying XP with spins.

But unless you're maxed and have all the best shit, which is all super expensive despite what all the real-life poor people and aspies say about OH LOL 100M IS NOTHING ITS NOT A LOT LOL I CAN MAKE THAT IN A FEW HOURS X D it's expensive as fuck to buy T90 equipment, and even then it's not enough because you still have fags who bought 99 herblore and use Overloads.

In 07 you had super sets you could buy for like 12k each, and if you had a level 70 abyssal whip for 5m and level 60 dragon plus a fighter torso or level 70 Barrows for a little bit more, you could hold your own.
>>
>>334893835
This too. You can't PK anymore and nobody does anyway, because good shit is too expensive and if you do go you'll have someone who IS in full T90 gear PK you because RS is life to them vs being some 12 year old playing a few hours with his friends after school.

Only single PKers are losers or fools, besides that its all clans who PK people in Warbands.
>>
>>334894015
And this.

Content is either mind-numbingly casual and boring or retardedly inaccessible, no middle ground.
>>
>>334880673
>acuckairiot
>>
>>334880673
almost all of the content is shit.
Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.