[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honest opinion /v/ Is it worth it to drop money on a new vid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: why.jpg (83 KB, 1127x540) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
83 KB, 1127x540
Honest opinion /v/

Is it worth it to drop money on a new vid card right now?

Do you think AMD is a lost cause?
>>
File: catalyst_vs_mesa-bioshock.png (17 KB, 600x203) Image search: [Google]
catalyst_vs_mesa-bioshock.png
17 KB, 600x203
>>334869685
No, AMD is not a lost cause. Their new driver strategy is starting to produce major positive results both in performance improvements and its rapidly approaching feature parity with todays merger of compute shader support after months of work. Plus new APIs like Vulkan should catch on thanks to their availability.

Just make sure if you buy a card before Polaris launches that you buy a GCN 1.2 card 285, 380, or Fury.
>>
>>334870716
There is a site that uses standard error? Yes please.
>>
>>334870716
wtf were all those words you just said?
>>
File: ubuntu-vs-win10.jpg (35 KB, 615x509) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-vs-win10.jpg
35 KB, 615x509
>>334870857
Phoronix, its really focused on Linux but that shouldn't be too surprising.
>>
File: 1399788835501.gif (25 KB, 192x224) Image search: [Google]
1399788835501.gif
25 KB, 192x224
Not OP, but just wondering. I'm thinking of getting this card.

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150730

All I really do on my computer is emulate games, play some PC mulitplayer games, exclusives and old mulitplats I could just pirate instead of spend money on. Is it okay for doing that?

Incidentally, my old AMD card is still fine but the fan died around 6 months in, and I had to use a program to manually speed it up, until it fell off last week and could no longer spin. This was an isolated problems and isn't something that AMD cards are common for right?
>>
>>334871136
Some definitions for kids who have only known Windows and are behind in their education:
Merge - To have source code brought into the main line of a software project.
Compute Shaders - A major feature of modern graphics API providing more free form access to GPU hardware.
Vulkan - A new API based on Mantle and similar to the graphics portion of Microsoft's DX12 but without all of the artificial restrictions locking it to a single version of a single OS.
Polaris - AKA GCN 1.3 or 'fourth generation GCN' AMD's next generation graphics card architecture.
GCN 1.2 - AKA 'third generation GCN' the most recent generation of AMD's graphics cards.
>>
AMD cards are fine and usually out perform Nvidia at the same price points. Their CPUs on the other hand...
>>
>>334870716
Hold on, why is it better on ubuntu 16? Is ubuntu 16 already implemented vulkan? Please respond it's very important since I'm going for amd+intel+linux very soon
>>
>>334871537
380s are decent cards, you should be fine with it if you're doing stuff like emulating Gamecube games in 1080p. Its not an AMD issue, but it could be something related to the brand that your GPU was. The only GPU fan I've ever had fail was on a no-name Nvidia card and replacing the heat sink and fan on it was no big deal.

If emulation and old games are really all you do then you don't really need to think about piracy, the emulators will run on top of free operating systems based on GNU/Linux like Ubuntu, or Valve's SteamOS will handle anything you might want to play.
>>
>>334872428
That's just Catalyst OpenGL vs Open Source Mesa RadeonSI OpenGL.

Ubuntu 16.04 ships with Mesa 11.2 out of the box. That particular benchmark was selected because of the huge performance delta but typically now the open source drivers are performing well enough that the closed source Catalyst driver is no longer required. If you've been looking at AMD on Linux you're probably already aware of how far the open source drivers have come in the last year. RadeonSI actually just picked up OpenGL 4.3 support today so Mesa 12 is only a couple of months away. https://mesamatrix.net/

Currently their Vulkan support is only available in the 'Pro' hybrid driver which is in beta. AMD have said that the Vulkan driver will be open sourced to allow for it to be used with Mesa instead of their closed source OpenGL stack.
>>
>>334871836
thanks anon
>>
This is the card I was thinking of getting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127872

Don't have a 4k monitor yet. Wondering if I should wait and get a monitor and a card at the same time.
>>
>>334873985
I'd say buy the monitor first. Prices on 4k monitors like the 40" displays have really come down but they're still less elastic than video cards. Nearly every fairly recent graphics card can drive a 4k display, and gaming on a 4k display in 1080p or 720p won't produce blur or scaling artifacts because they're supported with simple integer scaling.

Then when the next-generation HMB2 GPUs are out you'll be able to pick one up.
>>
>>334873985
Can any card even run 4K at 60FPS yet? 4K monitors are like another solid $500.
>>
>>334874520
Depends on the game and the API but newer GPUs can often manage it today in well optimized games on modern OSes. Look at the benchmarks posted above of a 950 running The Talos Principle's Vulkan beta in 4k@~75fps on Linux.
>>
>>334874439
Sounds reasonable.
I'm thinking of getting a 55" 4k and then just use it as a pc monitor. Those are around 800 right now.
>>
File: shintaro-ishihara.jpg (83 KB, 446x594) Image search: [Google]
shintaro-ishihara.jpg
83 KB, 446x594
>Got GTX 970 last week
>It choked on FUCKING Witcher 2 at 1080p with Ubersampling on

Does it choke on 390 too?
>>
>>334876886
dude my 6 year old CPU with gtx 760 runs TW2 at 60fps with ubersampling on
rma your card
>>
>>334873178
That's fucking awesome, thanks for the info dump anon, too bad vulkan is not yet officially out, vulkan is one of the reasons I want to switch to linux
>>
>>334877264
Post proof.
>>
>>334877341
I would have to download and install it again
This is what the internet is for, search that shit on youtube or something
>>
>>334876453
Be aware that at 55" 4k will mean about 80ppi similar to a 24" 1680x1050 display which isn't terribly blocky but also isn't as sharp as the 40" displays. Also watch out with 4k tvs for input lag issues, overscan, and output filters that can mess with text rendering if you're sitting up close.

The 40" workstation displays cost about the same money, but they are going to have very low input lag and they won't have the same kind of issues using a TV can bring. Plus they still work as a TV at least as far as hdmi devices are concerned.
>>
>>334877264
Wait what? I got 760 too and i5-3330k, is fucking nvidia GE lying again? Glad I uninstalled that piece of shit

>>334877341
luckily I got it backed up in my pc, unfortunately I'm away from my pc so I can't try it and post it here
>>
>>334877264
>>334877418
>>334877785
I just searched around the Steam forum and Internet.

Anon is full of shit. People with 970 said they choked on Witcher 2 with Uber too.
>>
>>334869685
If you need one yeah, if you can wait wait. Really only the 380, 390, 980ti and Fury X are worth getting atm though if you're playing modern games.
>>
>>334877912
I guess 970 is even worse than people thought
>>
>>334877328
Vulkan is officially out it was released last month. Nvidia has it in their stable drivers. AMD has beta drivers. Intel's driver has been merged into Mesa git. It is still early though and hardware support is limited and the amount of Vulkan software is still minimal.
>>
>>334877912
What resolution are they using? I still want to see what this ubersampling is all about in my own screen
>>
>>334877976
>I guess 970 is even worse than people thought
That's why I asked if 390 owners managed to get stable 60fps with it on at 1080p.
>>
Looks like there's one anon which is well-versed in pc tech, i just need to ask, what should I upgrade from my spec first?
i5-3330k
Gtx 760
8 gb ram ddr 3
1080p native hdtv

Mind you I'm not aiming for 4k gaming since imo it's just a luxury that you don't actually need
>>
>>334877982
Nvidia did? I was afraid updating nvidia drivers because it have the chance to fuck up witcher 3
>>
>>334878303
Everything.

You can't upgrade to DDR4 without upgrading the MOBO. And if you don't upgrade the MOBO you can't also upgrade the CPU.

Your only option seems to be upgrading the GPU.
>>
>>334878303
a Sandisk, Samsung, or Crucial SSD to benefit from tremendously faster load times
>>
>>334878790
I already got one ssd for the OS only, I'm thinking of getting cheap large volumed ssd for storing installed games and application, that a good idea?

>>334878564
I forgot my mobo spec, but I'll look it up later, if turns out my mobo is capable to handle new cpu, should I upgrade that instead?
>>
>>334879626
If you have an overclockable i5 there really isn't much point upgrading your CPU right now.
>>
>not waiting till pascal/polaris
whew laddie
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.