[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's happening to PC Gaming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: 1457236990649.jpg (212 KB, 1822x759) Image search: [Google]
1457236990649.jpg
212 KB, 1822x759
Microsoft released a tablet OS and has said desktop Windows has only a few years left. Intel has said that PC is over and laid off most of their desktop chip division so they can focus on tablets and phones. Then even crazier Linux has games, and AMD suddenly has drivers. What the hell is happening?
>>
>>334867308
No one is using PCs anymore.
>>
File: backout.gif (971 KB, 270x252) Image search: [Google]
backout.gif
971 KB, 270x252
>2013

fuck time what the fuck its so fast
>>
File: 232346346345.jpg (24 KB, 545x362) Image search: [Google]
232346346345.jpg
24 KB, 545x362
>>334867308
>2013
>>
>the PC is over
What the fuck do they expect blue collars to do in a few years? Use tablets?
>>
Hardware makers are following the current trends.

They aren't completely wrong, mobile has exploded in the last decade and isn't about to suddenly disappear, but MS/Intel is chasing after a market that will plateau in a few years, while AMD tries to gain back ground lost to Intel on the desktop, which might not be too hard as the majority of desktops are bought in bulk by companies who don't care what the hardware is as long as it works.

As for games on Linux, the proportion of ones on Linux is still less than 1 for every 3 on Windows, but it shows that freetards are starting to make a case that they'll buy software and the publishers are responding.
>>
>>334867765
dumb terminals.
>>
>Steam turns PC gaming into the App Store.
>Only $5 games sell well
>AAA development becomes impossible on PC
>Console ports, free2play and early access flood the market
>PC mustard race still praises Gayben for saving PC gaming
>>
>>334867765
Pretty much. Microsoft's vision is a Surface Tablet in the hand of every employee of every company who wants Microsoft Office. Of course those tablets will be powered by Intel's latest even more efficient and yet still graphically inept x86 SOC.
>>
>>334867783
Monthly releases of new titles for Linux are actually right around 1/3rd and the percentage of games on Steam is continuing to climb.

Hopefully UWP/DX12 fail and Vulkan sees decent adoption that would really help ease Linux adoption in over the next few years so we don't see a sudden massive issue in 2020 when desktop Windows is EOL.
>>
Literally 2/3 of those PC games are shitty mobile ports
>>
>>334867308
>desktop Windows has only a few years left

I find this hard to believe simply because so many businesses rely on desktops that simply cutting support and expecting people all around the world to hop to tablets is too naive even for MS.
>>
>>334867308
Implying Intel and AMD haven't said that PC gaming is one of their most profitable growth areas.
>>
>>334867308
>said desktop Windows has only a few years left.
Literally never happened
>>
>>334867308
>and has said desktop Windows has only a few years left.

Why?

Why go on the Internet and lie?

Why?
>>
>>334867426
>bigger than all consoles and mobile combined

>no one uses it

k
>>
more people play F2P games on PC than every ps4 player put together
>>
>>334867308
>laid off most of their desktop chip division
they're really dumb if they did that, most of their high end chip sales come from desktop enthusiasts. Whatever, maybe AMD will actually be a viable option their absence.
>>
>>334867308

>implying 8000 of those games isn't indie shit.
>>
DID WE UNIVERSE FLIP AGAIN?
IS IT SPELLED BERENSTAIN OR BERENSTEIN?
IS IT SPELLED GRAFITTI OR GRAFFITI?
>>
>>334868173

>Steam turns PC gaming into the App Store

more like Microsoft with their stupid Universal Windows Shit
>>
>>334872840
>IS IT SPELLED BERENSTAIN OR BERENSTEIN?

this one made me question my existence for a while
>>
>>334872590
>most of their high end chip sales come from desktop enthusiasts

And that's a really small section of the market. No semiconductor company cares about enthusiasts, the high end sales they care about are research based.
>>
>>334871571
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

The date is set. January 14th 2020. After that your only option is a tablet OS that will auto-update without your permission, that can revoke the ability to run certain software, and which is pushing the idea that games should run in a limited 'console mode' which restricts users ability to modify the gaming experience.
>>
>>334873560
That's just when Windows 7 support ends... does Windows 10 not count as "desktop" Windows?

Anyway. Mainstream gaming will continue to get shittier and shittier, but that doesn't mean that gaming will end, it will just splinter. People who really care about films don't (just) watch Hollywood blockbusters. Gaming will become the same way. Also, it's not going to be illegal to make and run a genuinely free, customizable OS. There will always be alternatives.
>>
>>334874189
>does Windows 10 not count as "desktop" Windows?
Does Android count as Desktop Linux?

The danger we face is that in four years a substantial amount of new games could be locked away within Microsoft's closed ecosystem either because developers bought into Microsoft's 'Console on PC' UWP/DX12, or because developers opted to stay on DX11 instead of learning new cross-platform APIs.
>>
File: 1459235710752.png (959 KB, 1279x720) Image search: [Google]
1459235710752.png
959 KB, 1279x720
>inb4 people defend le $350 bloodborne machine (oh b-b-b-but theres also a handful of mediocre EXCLUSIVE anime games)
>inb4 people defend le $300 no games spying machine
>>
>>334874756
I'm running Windows 10 on my desktop. Seems like a desktop OS to me.

Yes, it'll suck as more and more games get tied down to proprietary platforms and subscription models. A lot of those games might be lost when the services eventually go defunct, and that's unfortunate from a historical perspective. I'm just saying that there's hope is all, because games will continue to be made outside those systems.
>>
>>334867308
Why doesn't this show steam (PC) for 2013
>>
>>334875357
The years are for when the platform launched.
>>
>>334874978
>implying there is a reason to limit yourself
Disposable income is a cool thing to have.
>>
>>334871934
Show me your source

>all consoles AND MOBILE combined
>>
>>334870513
The same is true for consoles. Why do you think the PS4 already has almost as many games as the PS3? Because engines like Unity make it incredibly easy to port shitty games.
>>
>>334867308
The market is saturated dipshit.
They're spending less money because nobody cares currently.
Guess what's going to be saturated in a couple of years?
Tablets and phones.
>>
>>334875129
You can also install Android x86 on a PC, plug a keyboard and mouse into it and use that as a Desktop OS. Its just not what most of us traditionally think of as a desktop OS.

Windows 10 can fake being a desktop OS but you can't escape its upgrade policies, data mining, advertising, and locked down execution modes. The more time that passes the less like a traditional desktop OS its going to be.

Keep in mind that even though new security patches won't be made for Windows 7 after 2020, support for new hardware won't be added to 7 after 2018 so the end of its usefulness for PC gaming could arrive sooner.
>>
>>334875502
Not him, but I have absolutely no reason to buy a console
It's almost as if they interviewed me and made the PS4 specifically for me to not want it
>>
>>334875502
I am not spending $350 for one game you fucking retard
>>
>>334875629
Guess what, in a few years Tablet and Phone SOC chips are going to be a lot more powerful. If you want a glimpse of what a PC is going to look like in a few years look at the Raspberry Pi. The traditional PC hardware market is going to be a tiny niche in the future if Intel has its way.
>>
>>334875658
Windows 10 doesn't have ads or data mining

not sure what "upgrade policies" and "execution modes" are
>>
>>334876019
no they aren't

arm sucks
>>
>>334872757

>sour grapes: the post

Even funnier, every time I peruse the PS Store 90% of "new releases" tend to be old PC indie titles.
>>
>>334875658
>Runs all Windows desktop programs
>Has the same exact interface as Windows 7
>Hurr durr it's not a desktop
You're retarded
>>
>>334867783
>but MS/Intel is chasing after a market that will plateau in a few years,

It already did, tablet sales have been tanking for a while.
>>
>>334876353
Part of that is because you can only sell so many people their first tablet. Once that initial market is soaked up you need to sell the people upgrading each year on your device.
>>
>>334876075
>Windows 10 doesn't have ads or data mining
Not sure why you're still in denial. Windows 10 dedicates a portion of its main bar by default to its data mining / direct advertising system Cortana.

To answer your questions:
Windows 10 is a 'rolling release' for an example of this you can look at Arch Linux. Its a system that continually gets the latest updates without a break in versions requiring a new install or upgrade. Where it differs from the Linux rolling releases though is that you do not have control either on what is updated, or when its updated. So while in the past you could avoid a bad update like Vista, or Windows 8 by staying on an older more stable version with 10 you no longer have that option. Microsoft have confirmed that they will no longer release new versions of Windows, 10 is it and all new versions will just be rebrands of the rolling release.

Windows 10 features a 'console execution mode' used by UWP software which creates a sandbox restricting users from accessing features of their graphics drivers, or from modifying files. It is exactly what it sounds like a virtual environment for running what are in effect console games.
>>
>>334867308

PC companies are stomping their feet because they have finally realized they cannot gain total control over PC gamers in the same way that the console companies have total control over their users through proprietary operating systems.

As a result, they are fucking off to mobile where they can control their user bases more efficiently through closed OS, and will be trying to enact a controlled demolition of the PC gaming market in their wake, which will utterly fail as many companies are poised to step in after them.

Steam will either stay the way it is, an open market for PC games, or it will try to become a more closed system by demanding users run the Steam OS, which will cause it to fail overnight and backtrack.

It is all about power and control over a captive audience at this point, and nobody likes that PC users are a relatively uncontrollable population that cannot be as easily or completely herded into hard sales figures like console users.
>>
>>334876819
Part of it is also that people are buying phones with big screens now so they don't really need a tablet in addition to that.
>>
>>334876819

Yeah, that's going to be an issue, as most people get one tablet and discover that they don't actually need an oversized cell phone, nor does it provide any real entertainment value.
>>
If you use steam you don't own your fucking games.

What kind of logical person would ever use this platform ?
>>
>>334877209
I've gotten a lot of use out of my tablets over the years. I think the 7 inch form factor is the sweet spot, but now you're getting phones hitting so close to it that there's no meaningful difference. Personally I like a phone that fits in my pocket.
>>
>>334877236

>implying you ever actually "owned" your games
>>
File: 12329356.jpg (33 KB, 491x404) Image search: [Google]
12329356.jpg
33 KB, 491x404
>>334877236
>>
>>334867308
Consoles are dead
>SteamOS
WEW
>>
yeah, steam os has 2000 games, with 95% of them being shovleware indie dogshit.

a better representation would be how many from the top 100 are playable on linux. and no, the experimental alpha linux version of arma 3 is not playable
>>
>>334877054
>or it will try to become a more closed system by demanding users run the Steam OS
SteamOS is literally Debian though.
>>
>>334868173
Yeah because AAA games and full releases never sell well on Steam.
Oh wait they do.
>>
>>334877880
The Division is the best reviewed AAA game this year and it's being outsold by a shitty $15 indie game
>>
>>334876214
And every game worth a damn on pc is a console port.

What's your point
>>
>>334877236
>if you watch videos on youtube you don't own the videos
I guess ownership is necessary to enjoy something
>>
>>334878227
>And every game worth a damn on pc is a console port
Hahaha, no.
>>
>>334878063
At this moment you fucking idiot.
It sold at least 730k on Steam alone. That's not counting Uplay only keys, as every single other key not sold on Steam were Uplay keys. That's easily more than 1 million.
>>
>>334878304
Sorry but it's true :)
>>
>>334877054
>they are fucking off to mobile
no they are fucking off to "cloud" computing and "internet of things" where you run a terminal and all the heavy lifting is done elsewhere

>will be trying to enact a controlled demolition of the PC gaming market
Intel doesn't give a rat's ass about PC gaming, they are downsizing through hiring freezes and "restructuring" to boost short-term revenue
http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/04/intel-announces-evolution-away-from-pc-industry-up-to-12000-firings/
>>
>>334878063
the steam lists would be the last thing i would base anything on. absolutely no metrics to them. and that other stupid website that literally just guesses isnt any better.
>>
>>334867308
microsoft is literally trying to force pc gaming to die because other platforms make way more money for less effort but that's fucking bullshit.
>>
>>334878467
> and that other stupid website that literally just guesses isnt any better.
I hope you're talking about Vgchartz, and not Steamspy, as the latter has been shown again and again and again and again to be pretty damn precise.
>>
>>334878063
>The Division is the best reviewed AAA game this year
which is a travesty considering it is one of the most broken games this year too
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/new-division-falcon-lost-glitch-discovered-after-patch-video-527597
>>
>>334878384
Keep drinking the Kool-Aid buddy.
>>
>>334878427
>>334867308

Of course Intel is being lazy.

CPUs are strong enough. They've been strong enough.

Games are limited by RAM, disk speed, and GPU power. The i5 2500K is all you need even in 2016 unless you're running every game on lowest settings to hit 144FPS, because the 2500K will get you 80-90 even in Witcher 3, possibly 120 OCed.
>>
>>334877715
Top 10 on Steam is usually 6-8 Linux compatible. Right now its 5 which is a bit below normal but several of the games in that list have unreleased Linux versions.
Top 100 on Steam is usually 35-40 Linux compatible, right now its 41 which is a bit above the usual but apparently people are playing strategy games right now which tilts more towards Linux compatible games. As with the top 10 that number does not include games with Linux ports on the way or that have Betas for Linux like Arma 3.

So the highest quality games on Steam generally trend higher than the average percentage of games as a whole.
Not that this should be that surprising, developers who give a shit about their games are more likely to port software than developers pumping out shit.
>>
>>334878227
Wow never know Battlezone, Supcom FA, Warband and XCOM are console ports.
>>
>>334878573
>microsoft is literally trying to force pc gaming to die
that's why they are doing everything they can to move people over to W10?

>other platforms make way more money for less effort
I don't see how you could use any less effort than the W10 ports
>>
File: 0839 - LWlvySt.jpg (88 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
0839 - LWlvySt.jpg
88 KB, 399x388
>>334878704
>mfw Phenom II X4 965 finally getting too weak for me
>can't play Just Cause 3 because of it
>>
PC gaming master race literally the fucking minority and dying to AAA.
At least we have our indies and japtoon shit right?
ecks dee
>>
>>334878872
exactly w10 is just a tablet OS set up to take advantage of people being ok with buying programs just cause they're labeled apps
>>
>>334878872
>that's why they are doing everything they can to move people over to W10?
Yes, Windows 10 provides a common platform for Microsoft's console and tablet efforts. Its also hosts their UWP app store which they are attempting to force developers into which would lock games into their ecosystem much more solidly than games have been in the past.
>>
>>334867308
>Uses PCs to code all of their software
>Hosts their services on PCs
PC IS FUCKING OVER!!11!1!1!!
>>
So they want to pretend shit like LoL, CS:HAT and every MMO, which are a massive amount of the game market share - don't exist.
Good luck.
>>
File: +.png (356 KB, 572x380) Image search: [Google]
+.png
356 KB, 572x380
>>334878912
>owning an amd CPU
>not using UCC feature in order to unlock extra cores
>>
>Tablets
>Relevent
Lamo tablets and phones are dying, the market is constricting like a mofo and everyone is looking to cut costs

Can't wait till all this shit get's replaced by the next hot thing in the coming decade.
>>
>>334879410
wait idk what that means. is that like overclocking? I've never tried to overclock and my cpu is already hovering around 75c cause it's getting warm out. I had to take my case cover off yesterday cause it smelled like hot electronics.
>>
>>334879301
>Uses PCs to code all of their software
this is where you are wrong
>Hosts their services on PCs
this is also where you are wrong
all of this shit is going to be done on terminals connected to server farms

the upshot to all of this is that the term "PC" will finally mean what it was meant to and not simply "Windows"
>>
>>334879005
w10 is pretty nice for power users

better encrypted file sharing support

better bitlocker

includes a hypervisor that has features 2012R2's doesn't

can install server manager that works with 2012 and R2

can mount / create VHDs and VHDx

can mount ISOs

can use barely-gimped storage spaces with powershell (RAID10, RAID0, can't in GUI)

this is compared to 7 btw not 8
>>
>>334879446
>tablets and phones are dying
not in developing countries
and that is where the money is being made now
>>
>>334879612
also right clicking the start menu brings up the power user menu

also you can install a Microsoft / Canonical supported version of Bash w/ UNIX tools
>>
File: Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg (56 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg
56 KB, 320x240
So they sell tablets all the fucking time because they are gimmicky and cheap, people can afford to spend 500 on a piece of garbage pretty often, but nobody needs to or will replace their PC every year because the screen folded or crapple pushed another OS that isn't backwards compatible.
Planned obsolescence is the meme and according the the cartels, PC is simply too good to allow to continue.
I wish G-d was real so Jobs would rot in fucking hell for eternity.
>>
Funny I'm pretty sure PS3 has more than 1000~ games if PS4 has 900
>>
>>334879612
idk what this means son i'm just a meme farmer
>>
>>334879005
10 is a lot better than 8 and 7, don't be coy
>>
>>334879982
it means windows 10 lets you set up virtual machines and kickass RAIDs
>>
>>334879682
>Money being made
>In developing countries
Only by undercutting. Not in the same way that money was being made in the first world for the last decade. I mean sure the chinks, africans, and the injins might move product, but at those low prices their profits can't compare to what brands like apple made in their hay day.
>>
>>334880082
It also lets MS see everything you ever have done
>>
>>334880098
you misunderestimate how many people there are in developing countries. the entire movie industry has changed in the last 5 years because they started catering towards the global market and not just the american market. Globalization is already upon us and you can't just stay oblivious forever if you want to keep up.
>>
>>334879682
All 'developing' low HDI shitstains can afford is the bottom of the barrel mass produced trash that is a phone/tablet.
These are the people who are so poor and subhuman they use netcafes because they can't afford laptops, or poor desktops, internet and router.
In real countries tablets and phones are a secondary, portable thing to complement the family and personal computers we own.
>>
File: 1200.jpg (90 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
90 KB, 1200x675
"This will be the end of PC Gaming," says inreasingly nervous man for 7th time this console gen.
>>
>>334880310
Does that mean soon all the movies will be achingchongnipnong?
>>
>>334880413
they already are they're being written with the chinese market in mind. it gets subtitled or dubbed over there but the story isn't just american-interest centric anymore. Not saying it's a good or bad thing but it's what's happening.
>>
>>334879921
There's no huge conspiracy. Its simple economics. The number of people who actually need a powerful PC with discrete components that together cost $500+ is tiny. Smaller than the number of users of GNU/Linux. Most users needs are well met by non-traditional form factors, and even most of the people today using PCs built with discrete components will likely be able to switch to single board systems in the future.

The market for discrete components is never going to go away, but expect the cost for that kind of system to go up. On the plus side if Intel is no longer interested in high performance desktop PCs and is laying off experienced employees perhaps they would be willing to grand licenses to new companies to produce x86 hardware.
>>
>>334880241
oh no they know I like tranny porn oh noooooooooooo
>>
>>334880409
This will be the end of civilization. Everyone will want to fuck virtual humans and stop going to work and we will regress into a medieval era with 'lost technology' where people have no idea how to make tech and scavenge what they can.
>>
>>334880484
What exactly does the Chinese market like? Capeshit?
>>
>>334880098
>at those low prices their profits can't compare
sure they can, by using older tech
western countries get the 4K screens, the 820 chipsets, and the usb 3.1 c whatevers, but they don't sell like the cheap-ass phones that get sold by the millions in Asia and Africa

Apple made billions by selling a high-quality device to wealthy westerners and exploiting cheap labor. That labor isn't so cheap now, so other manufacturers can offset using cheaper components and selling them to the 3 billion poor-ass shitheads in developing countries that are just now modernizing.
>>
>>334868235
>sit at a desk all day
>require a full size keyboard and a decent screen, and a word processing package, and nothing else
>hurf durf they'll love our new shiny win10 tablets
why are tech companies so retarded?
>>
>>334867308
The steam video game bubble is bursting finally thanks to over saturation . Its a herald of positive change
>>
>>334880497
Enjoy never being employed again except in strip bars or some shit
>>
>>334880413
>Does that mean soon all the movies will be achingchongnipnong
they already are and have been for some time
>>
>>334880342
There are 2 billion people in China and India. Even if the wealth is much more concentrated in the top 1% than it is in the West you're still looking at sizable markets for prestige devices with high margins.
>>
>>334880310
Anon the point is that even unlocking a few billion more customers won't make up for the fact that they all can only afford phones a thousand times cheaper than the phones the old market used to buy. There is no such thing as infinite expansion. Sure the developing world may stave off market shrinkage for a while, but there is little question of it being an inevitability at this point.
>>
>>334880598
yeah but capeshit in the vane of old stereotypes that we've already seen for 30 years. if you watch a bollywood movie you'd see what I'm talking about. most of them are 4hours long and have to contain an aspect of every single genre now. it's usually because people in developing countries can't go to the theater every week or 2 weeks like us cause it's expensive for them so they want to be able to have as many people want to watch their single movie as possible.
>>
>>334880598
>What exactly does the Chinese market like?
product placement
>>
File: 1429291608293.jpg (79 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1429291608293.jpg
79 KB, 640x360
Let's have more weird movies. I'm sure China will buy them.
>>
>>334880709
companies aren't in it for the longhaul anymore you can see it in the grassroots companies. that's why kickstarter is so big nowadays. it's not about building a trustworthy brand that will bring good quality services and products for years to come it's about duping people into giving you money for products you haven't released yet. but instead of just doing it to shareholders they're doing it to everyone now.
>>
>>334880613
>require a full size keyboard and a decent screen, and a word processing package, and nothing else
then you don't need a fully functional CPU, GPU, HDD, OS, or anything else normally standard on a current PC
>>
>>334880602
Apple made billions by having the highest original cost to retail value proportion of nearly any mass consumer tech. Amazing use of brand image on their part.
>>
File: 1420151540136.jpg (77 KB, 280x336) Image search: [Google]
1420151540136.jpg
77 KB, 280x336
>>334880789
Prease buy maia productu
>>
File: l-23p57jjypvvz1b.jpg (70 KB, 660x698) Image search: [Google]
l-23p57jjypvvz1b.jpg
70 KB, 660x698
>>334880675
Then it's cultural and they just don't give a shit about PC gaming.
Japan is a so called developed country and is the console pleb and WinXP capital.
Slants are into shitty MMOs that really don't need good specs and ecchi porn games, and there's lots of them.
I don't even fucking know about India but they can't be good.
gg
>>
>>334877880
>Sell well on PC

Well it depends, publisher of AAA titles like EA, Activision, Ubisoft and 2k considers consoles to be more profitable than PC during launch simply because of normies. CD projekt and Blizzard got a hint at this as well hence majority of future games are now on consoles as well, it's simple fucking new money!

http://www.statista.com/statistics/217476/digital-revenue-of-ea-since-2nd-quarter-2011-by-platform/

http://www.statista.com/statistics/269667/activision-blizzards-revenue-by-platform/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-is-ubisofts-top-platform-by-sales/1100-6434719/
>>
>>334880342
Kek, reminds me of how the Indians are developing a phone that costs less than 4 dollars to sell to their poor masses.
>>
>>334881259
>2011
>Ubisoft
Stopped reading
>>
>>334881454
#girlwood
>>
>>334880523
The problem with those theories is that if people stopped working there would be no electricity to power your waifu simulator, nothing is changing but birth rates.
>>
>>334882036
I'm talking waifu causal for the collapse, then afterwards, no waifus and road warrior
>>
>>334882036
That's why we need robots to take over all jobs instead of just a couple.
>>
>>334882036
>Implying we won't just get artificial intelligence to run that shit for us
>>
>>334881454
>d.. do i fit in here yet?
>>
>>334882337

>trusting AI for running the grid

Did Harlan Ellison teach you nothing?
>>
>>334873560
Obviously, that's the endgame for anyone providing digital content. Every publisher is drooling over the ability to fully shut off their old games when new ones are coming out. They want to force you into paying full price for new stuff every few years as it makes them more money than creating a few great games that stand forever.

From a publishing perspective, Blizzard created a massive problem for themselves by creating several franchises that were not only great upon release, but also stood the test of time so well it directly competes against their future titles to the point where people are passing them up in lieu of the old. Even if they were to shut off battle.net entirely, the nature of the games still allow LAN and private server play fairly easily.
>>
File: terminator_b_t2.jpg (181 KB, 592x334) Image search: [Google]
terminator_b_t2.jpg
181 KB, 592x334
>>334882337
Will the AI have little terminators it sends out to repair downed power lines? Because I can see some problems with that.
>>
>>334882834
Asimov taught it it should work out pretty well.
>>
>>334883146
Ever heard of the theory of a self-managing city? Essentially, it contains self-replicating machines that can repair infrastructure and other objects via AI.

If you want a video game dramatization of it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwqN3Ur-wP0
>>
>>334879567
Well, I had to install 4 extra fans on the CPU, but I managed to unlock 2 extra cores on my own CPU, if you have a x4 cpu and a motherboard with UCC capabilities or similar you can probably unlock 2 extra cores too but you will definately need custom fans.
>>
>>334871443
What's funny is Intel admitted it was a mistake to ignore desktops for Broadwell, guessing they made decent money off of the 6600k due to the gap though.
>>
>>334875129
win 10 ltsb is fine and add some of the cool crap that wms on linux had since forever but obviously a fully functional Linux would be better for everybody.
>>
File: charts.jpg (127 KB, 805x853) Image search: [Google]
charts.jpg
127 KB, 805x853
pc and mobile sales easily outdwarf consoles desu
>inb4 f2p
money is all that matters to the juden
>>
>>334867308
>What the hell is happening?
Companies for some reason have a need to control people. Microsoft tried with GFWL, is trying with their shit new app store, and ultimately knows they'll lose, so they throw a pissy fit about it and say PC is dead. But it's simply where a lot of gamers are and will always be, and they'll come crawling back like always.

And like it or not PC gamers are also the tech leaders who everyone else will ask about the new Windows. And it's shit for games, so it'll never gain traction until it isn't.
>>
>>334867308

Windows 10 killed a lot of enthusiasm for PC gamers. A lot of them moved to Linux out of spite, and a bunch of them stayed on Windows 7 and therefore aren't counted on these 'next-gen' charts.

Therefore, to a market analyst, it looks like next-gen PCs are on their way out. Because no one wants to give any support to a new operating system (Windows 10) that people unanimously hate.

The blame falls entirely on Microsoft, if they just made an operating system people wanted to use, they could outpace phones and tablets easily.
>>
>>334867308
Makes sense. A good PC costs in the thousands. No one has money for that and instead most people spend a few hundred on a phone to stay connected with peers. Perhaps a tablet as well for school/work, in any case, mobile is the future whether you like it or not as it is a growing platform. Everyone will eventually migrate to it and desktops will go the way of the VCR. What I'm afraid of though is the current plateauing of Moore's law. Phones of the future may not be that much more powerful than they are now, and so the platform won't expand much beyond it's current limitations.
>>
>>334883207
And Clarke showed what happened when an AI goes haywire. Don't forget HAL.
>>
>>334873260
Don't worry, anon, the creators confirmed that over multiple publishers and reprints they changed the name back and forth accidentally
>>
>>334887103
>A good PC costs in the thousands.
Only if you're in brazil.
Desktops aren't going anywhere but exactly where they are, a niche area of consumer electronics dominated by pre-builts and overpriced brand components.
>>
God, the idea that anyone would actually believe that anyone in the tech industry would say "desktops will be gone in a few years" is fucking unbelievable to me.

Even if literally every company stopped desktop production TODAY, the existing models would be in use for a good 20 years at least
>>
>>334871934
>mobile combined
>even poorfags in thirdworld shithole own a mobile
>P-P-PC G-G-AMING IS S-S-SURELY BIGGER
>>
>>334887323
You all also seem to be so stupid and self absorbed that you think PCs only exist for gaming. If you think that in your lifetime you'll see a majority of companies migrate to giving their employees ONLY tablets and NO other form of computer, you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>334887726
You're on /v/, the topic is PC GAMING.
>>
>>334867308

>Intel laying off tens of thousands of employees after donating $300 million to Anita's cult fund

Why do women ruin everything?
>>
>>334887856
But the statement wasn't "all games will be mobile". The statement was " all desktops will be gone in a few years". Just because all you know is video games doesn't mean that that's all computers are used for.
>>
>>334887957
The post-modern day's version of Helen of Troy, only uglier, nosier and decadent.
>>
File: 1431315568834.jpg (2 MB, 3624x2996) Image search: [Google]
1431315568834.jpg
2 MB, 3624x2996
>>334867909
Why did it all have to go so wrong

(pic related is largely about the death of internet culture, but it's also got a good chunk on smartphones/tablets supplanting computers for consumers and the move towards dumb terminals inherent in that.)
>>
>>334888343
Really the worst part about this is that so many people actually fuckin visit Yahoo
>>
>>334880613

The software will be designed in such a way that it will be less useful to use a kb/m.
>>
>>334888719
Remember: it's the default search engine for FireFox, and a bunch of people don't know how to change it.
>>
If microsoft cuts off what people want, someone else will spring up and replace them. They want a stupid audience, so they can sell them dumb devices that are overpriced and retard proof.
>>
>>334889025
How the fuck can TYPING THINGS BE CHANGED TO NOT USE A KEYBOARD

God, stupid people make me so angry. Tech is the quickest growing industry in the world, and you're fucking convinced there's some conspiracy to remove keyboards from existence. It's really amazing how you can live with zero critical thinking skills.
>>
>>334888343
what the fuck is that on 2011 for evolution of the click? a robot tampon?
>>
>>334889130
I had forgotten that shit since I never use Firefox.

It's usage as a whole has gone away pretty quickly, it's below IE now.
>>
>>334889408

Because companies have never taken the less efficient route to make a sale before.
>>
>>334889412
It's pretty clearly a Microsoft ad, looking at the aesthetics, so it's most likely one of their wireless mouse models.

I actually used it for quite some time due to how insanely portable it was, it was a solid mouse.
>>
>>334889539
Edge is actually pretty good now except for the fact it's on fucking Windows 10.
>>
>>334877767

The current SteamOS is an experiment, if it see success, or Valve figures out a way to force players to use it, they will quickly develop a closed version if they have not already.
>>
>>334889631
You don't fucking get it, which is entirely unsurprising. If you're trying to tell me that globally, suddenly every company will force their employees to be a hundred times less efficient by not giving them keyboards (thus losing them money) because all tech companies stopped making expensive computers and only sell cheap tablets (thus losing them money) then your head is so incredibly far up your ass that I'm not even sure how you breathe.

Tell me please, what do tech companies gain by cutting out their most profitable sector? Building a computer for $100 and selling billionsof units for 10x that price is not going to suddenly be unprofitable because they have another department that makes equally profitable tablets
>>
>>334887856

Well he's not wrong

Op put pc gaming but it's to mislead

The only thing selling less is the desktop not the individual hardware

Or people who don't game and have shitty prebuilts because things like the surface do it better

When most pc gamers buy only video cards and use the same i7 for years, you're gonna see a drop
>>
>>334890107
Look, you're set in your ways, I get it. When touch screens were new lots of people thought it was just a fad and that the mouse would always be the king of precision. There are kids being born right now that will never use a mouse in their entire lifetime because literally everything will be touch enabled.

Computers in the form of desk top boxes are going to go away purely for aesthetic and ergonomic reasons. There's lots of old technology that was just fine or performed better than new technology, but it always gets replaced with the new hotness because of ease of use and simplicity. Tablets are simple. They are easy to use because you literally just pick them up and start touching them. It's Human psychology to prefer what feels comfortable.
>>
Think of it this way: I have a 8 core mega machine compared to what I have owned. What do I use it for? 4chan, and Brutal Doom. Occasionally Fallout 1 and 2. I could do this on the same machine I had 3 machines back. That was a single core Athlon XP.
>>
>>334889931
Literally the entire reason they switched to Debian was because they saw Windows was becoming a walled garden, and it looks like that prediction is accurate.
>>
>>334891992

Apparently they must have struck a deal since gabe isn't speaking out about windows 10

Only Sweeney did
>>
>>334867308
It's pretty impressive how Steam can have almost 8000 pieces of shovelware and people will suck their cock.
>>
>>334891095
You are what every intelligent member of society dreads. You are the marketing department. You can't deal in facts or numbers, so you just say what sounds good and hope someone agrees
>>
>>334891992

But everything we have seen about Steam shows that they are more interested in profit than honesty or freedom.

Valve wants a walled garden, they just want it to be THEIR walled garden so they can do the price fixing.
>>
I don't get why Valve's streaming is so much better than Microsoft's and Sony's. Especially fucking Microsoft, how can a 3rd party make software that runs better on Windows than the Microsoft themselves?
>>
>>334877236
>implying PCucks are logical
Good fucking riddance, pc gayming has long overstayed it's welcome. There should be more to gaming than sitting at a desk with kb+m and headset. Fucking depressing desu
>>
>>334867308
Xbox one literally has no games
>>
>>334877027

>cortana

I have win10 and there is no cortana
Congrats
>>
>>334872923
no one's using universal apps. Meanwhile Steam is so common I can't play half of what I'm interested in, because it's Steam-exclusive.
>>
>>334892831
Microsoft hasn't made good software that runs on Windows in a long time.

Back when Windows 7 launched they tried pushing the "live messenger" thing, basically did the same thing as Facebook messenger and that other popular IM program at the time.

Fucking
crashed
constantly
persistent hanging windows, and it was installed by default. You had to uninstall it to use your system.

They've only gotten worse.
>>
>>334876075
>>334893447
Not him but you're uninformed. Even the stuff you disable just hides it from your desktop, it's still running in the background embedded in the necessary services.
Metro and its related applications STILL track your clicks and telemetry information. You might have think you've disabled it, but you haven't.
>>
>>334874978
I'm still disgusted anyone bought the xbox one after that debacle.
>>
>>334893867
Maybe if Windows 10 wasn't such a piece of shit, people would adapt faster.

Maybe if Games for Windows Live didn't die faster than an on-topic thread on /v/, people would have tried adopting or even trying it instead of knowing it as "Isn't that the company that stole a bunch of money and told customers to fuck themselves when they shut their service down after only five years?"
>>
>>334892937
You know you can use a controller and stream computer games to your TV right? Also LAN parties were fun as fuck back in the day.
>>
>>334894323
>Maybe if Windows 10 wasn't such a piece of shit, people would adapt faster.
W10 adoption and universal app adoption are unrelated.

>people would have tried adopting
without personal gain? Why should they? In fact, only personal pain, as anyone that committed to the service is fucked now. People don't like to get burned twice.
>>
>>334867308
it's not exactly good that a majority of those releasing on PC are garbage indie games that ends up dead in a day or 2.
>>
>>334894145

No
You dont get it

I didnt disable shit
I simply dont have cortana
>>
>>334867308
This thread is the most retarded thing I-ve ever read on the internet.

Been lurking since lietrally 2004, and took 12 years to find this thread.
>>
>>334894453
>W10 adoption and universal app adoption are unrelated.
I disagree, Universal apps are a direct result of the Windows 10 spearhead for both tablets and PCs. It is what introduced the movement, even.

But Microsoft has a terrible habit of thinking that they can tell customers what they want.
>>
>>334894673
The point you're missing is, not everyone installing W10 is using universal apps. People don't give a shit about the walled garden inside their walled garden. Steam and regular desktop software has their use cases covered.
MS can jump up and down and demand whatever the hell they want, people have no interest in the universal apps, simple as that.
>>
>>334894554
>I didnt disable shit

Then you STILL have all that Windows 10 garbage tracking and monitoring you while serving ads.

What, you thought Cortana was the only thing that people count as spyware? The 1-2 megabytes of information per hour isn't just Cortana queries.
>>
>>334894813
I think Anon is humblebragging that they got Enterprise edition LTSB, which has a lot of that stuff not included, or the ability to disable it, because it's aimed at agencies and big companies that MS can't bully around yet.
>>
>>334894883
Still has the telemetry built-in. If he didn't 'disable anything', then he still has it because he hasn't taken the time to go through and disable the parts he can disable.
>>
Sometimes I just wonder how the fuck people this >>334891095 idiot exist in 2016.
>>
>>334894813

You are physically incapable to understand that i do not have cortana?

I cant use it. It doesnt exist. Its nowhere to be found.
>>
>>334891095
Good luck doing your wife son's bookreport for him because he doesn't know how to operate excel or powerpoint like a functioning person.
>>
>>334881454
>He didn't even checked the linked
>No arguments
>>
>>334895014
doesn't have cortana though, which was the single technical point anon expressed in >>334893447
. You then conflated it with telemetry in general in >>334894145, but anon repeated that they have no cortana, without disabling cortana even, in >>334894554
. Expect people to be technically correct assholes on here.
>>
>>334888343
>(pic related is largely about the death of internet culture, but it's also got a good chunk on smartphones/tablets supplanting computers for consumers and the move towards dumb terminals inherent in that.)

You mean the MySpace graph to the left?
>>
PCs as they are won't last much longer. MS and Intel have destroyed the market. Work places will switch to thin clients hosted by MS or make their own servers. But it will soon get to a point component volumes will get so low that it's no longer feasible to sell desktop CPUs and motherboards.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia try to take over the gaming market with ARM or openpower based systems as windows gaming collapses.
>>
>>334895114
>What, you thought Cortana was the only thing that people count as spyware? The 1-2 megabytes of information per hour isn't just Cortana queries.

Even on enterprise LTSB edition, to disable the spyware crap, you have to do this: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1296159

Didn't do that? Then congrats, you still have some microsoft advertisement in the background.

>>334895257
>technically correct assholes
>still doesn't get that Cortana isn't the only thing on his system that is spying on him.
>Refuses to acknowledge this and instead insists that this one piece of spyware isn't there so he must be okay then

I would have expected technically correct assholes to be 'technically correct' and not just 'dumb assholes'.
>>
>>334895375
>I would have expected technically correct assholes to be 'technically correct' and not just 'dumb assholes'.
Cortana is not included in Enterprise LTSB. There is nothing to disable. Anon made no statements about other/general tracking, which may, or may not be active.
>>
>>334895257
>doesn't have cortana though, which was the single technical point anon expressed in >>334893447
Not that guy, but the scope wasn't about just Cortana, it was about spying in general and why Windows 10 is an awful piece of software.

At least, if you follow the discussion back, you would see that. Which you didn't.
>>
>>334895484
>the scope wasn't about just Cortana
THEIR scope was just cortana. You're talking to someone that made a single off-hand remark regarding only Cortana. That's the problem. They are technically correct on that bit, and you're trying to pin them on stuff they don't even care about
>>
>>334895441
Actually, he did:
>>334876075
>Windows 10 doesn't have ads or data mining

Which is a blatant fucking falsehood. And I just explained why.

His only response when this was pointed out to him was "B-but I don't have cortana!"

No, please, continue to jam those fingers in your ears.

>>334895590
hurr >>334876075
>>
>>334895375

Yeah those ads i dont see surely gonna bother me with ssds and 24gbs of ram

Oh right
They still dont
>>
>>334895590
>THEIR scope was just cortana. You're talking to someone that made a single off-hand remark regarding only Cortana. That's the problem. They are technically correct on that bit, and you're trying to pin them on stuff they don't even care about

Again, you didn't follow the conversation back. There's four or five quotes before that which is him stating that *his* version doesn't have datamining or spying. His best refutation to this being that he doesn't have Cortana but refuses to expound on the fact that he has other things on his system which provide the same capabilities to Microsoft.

Sorry, expect people to be technically correct assholes here.
>>
>>334895659
>Actually, he did:
That's not the same person

>Which is a blatant fucking falsehood. And I just explained why.
nothing wrong with that

>His only response when this was pointed out to him was "B-but I don't have cortana!"
That was a different anon
>>
>>334891095
Good luck seeing software companies optimizing their shitty 3D modeling and AutoCAD systems for tablets.
>>
>>334895751
>moving those fucking goalposts

Enjoy Microsoft having a hash of every single file on your system. Or complete access to your drivers. Or even backdoors into your encryption or file system! I hope you only have stuff they like!
>>
File: 1454072874811.jpg (756 KB, 1443x2274) Image search: [Google]
1454072874811.jpg
756 KB, 1443x2274
>>334875510
>>334887615
>C-consoles matter!
>>
File: 1461039723688.png (814 KB, 830x720) Image search: [Google]
1461039723688.png
814 KB, 830x720
>>334874978
>He bought a $1000 machine for shitty "MUH GRAPHIX" FPses, Indie shit, ports that crash all the time, MOBAshit, and decade old Valve games
>>
>>334895757
>That's not the same person

>A direct quote tree from one to the next up is NOT the same person

So you must be that person.
If so, why did you interrupt on a conversation, of which was between two people, and then proceed to take that conversation which had nothing to do with you over?

also, if you aren't the same person, why didn't 4chanX register you as a new IP to the thread?

You should go to bing and ask how to damage control with your pants being on fire.
>>
>>334895751
Sorry, didn't you fucking say that Windows 10 had no ads or data mining?
Right, I thought so.

Enjoy literally having advertisements embedded in your operating system, you complete cuck.
>>
>>334895919
>lists more than on a console
>console is better!!
>>
File: 1460745038057.jpg (165 KB, 800x567) Image search: [Google]
1460745038057.jpg
165 KB, 800x567
>>334896027
Better to have a few good games than hundreds of shitty ones.
>>
>>334895945
>So you must be that person.
Nope, ain't me. I've just seen that pattern so often.

>why did you interrupt on a conversation
they probably posted for the same reason that any anon posts. They got a statement to drop off.

>of which was between two people
you hope

>then proceed to take that conversation which had nothing to do with you over?
You derailed it yourself, by responding to that anon.

>also, if you aren't the same person, why didn't 4chanX register you as a new IP to the thread?
beats me, my first post was >>334893867

>should go to bing
I do. The site's shit for searching, but their wallpapers are nice.
>>
>>334895757
>That's not the same person

okay, let's follow the quote tree back:

>>334893447
is a response to
>>334877027
is a response to
>>334876075

Huh, look at that, it's a complete straight line with no other branches. Other replies only came far later pointing out the blatant hypocrisy.

Well, I guess that mind reading class must be going well for you.
>>
>>334896113
>they are only good games because they are exclusives
Good one. Did you play all indie games? Im sure there are some better games than the AAA shit you get.
>>
>>334896143
>>334876075 and >>334893447 are not the same person. All there is to it. The rest is just anons jumping to conclusions, trying to one-up each other.
>>
>>334896118
>Nope, ain't me. I've just seen that pattern so often.
>I've seen that pattern so I know it's not the same person on the anonymous imageboard

Okay, you have no argument and have based it on the good-faith assumption that those two posts, of which were part a conversation between two people, were three separate people. Despite having no evidence otherwise.

Glad you at least admitted it. Will you stop responding with your insanity now?
>>
>>334896175
>they are only good games because they are exclusives
I never said that
They're good because they're actual fun games instead of benchmarking tools to show off your new $900 GTX 980 Titty
>>
>>334896260
>>>334876075 and >>334893447 are not the same person. All there is to it

Then, you must be one of those people then.

Right?

Nope, because you said right here:
>>334896118
>Nope, ain't me. I've just seen that pattern so often.

So if you're not any of those people, and they are both responding to the same quote tree, and you don't know if those are two separate people.

THEN WHERE'S THE CAVEMAN?
>>
>>334896270
one is clueless about basic group policies, the other deliberately chose an uncommon version of W10. What makes you think they're the same?
>>
>>334867308
steam "releases"
>>
>>334896354
>benchmarking tools
You mean The Order?
>>
>>334896354
>They're good because they're actual fun games instead of benchmarking tools to show off your new $900 GTX 980 Titty
And how is this different from all indie games?
>>
>>334896416
>one is clueless about basic group policies, the other deliberately chose an uncommon version of W10. What makes you think they're the same?
That's your evidence that those are two separate people? You can be both clueless and have an uncommon version of W10.

Just admit you're a microsoft cocksucker and get on with it. It's clear the retard genuinely thought Cortana was the only piece of spyware on his system and him (maybe you) are now damage controlling like crazy because someone pointed out how monumentally stupid he is.
>>
>>334896463
No, I mean Crysis, Battlefield, whatever the hot new shooter is that plays like absolute shit but has MUH GRAPHIX.
>>
>>334896416
>What makes you think they're the same?
Because they both responded the same quote chain within five minutes apart in an argument that was between two people you dumb idiot holy shit.

This is backtracking on levels I've never seen on 4chan before. Like you're doubling down on how crazy and stupid his argument is and have taken it as your own.

Holy fuck kys.
>>
>>334896416
Prove they're two separate people and not just one genuine retard.

Furthermore: Prove you're not that person.
>>
>>334896582
So, The Order 1866. Also, you do realize that console gamers only care about graphics for AAA games right? That's why most games are 30fps instead of 60, PS3 ports get 60 but new games have to have "next-gen" detail so the framerate gets trashed. Worst case is the game pushes too far and is completely unplayable, which FFXV looks like it's going to be.
>>
>>334896543
>Just admit you're a microsoft cocksucker
Used to be, until last year. Then they moved the datamining from the preview into the release, used shady techniques to trick people into installing the release, overhauled their privacy policies and basically just destroyed a whole lot of trust. I still like their research department, and I'd happily pay them old Windows prices for a functional non-spy version of W10. As it is though, the OS is toxic. MS fucked up royally.
>>
> there are people out there who willingly every 5-7 years buy a new fucking console
> they spend £300+ on the console
> they then spend £40+ a year to play online
> that is before even buying a game which is more expensive than on PC
> games barely run
> no mods which add life to the game, I'm not even talking about mods that ruin games because nobody likes them. I'm talking about taking a 10 year old game and finding mods that overhauls the entire game
> can't even fucking get 1080p/60fps

No wonder fucking gaming is shit, it is plagued by absolute fucking clowns
>>
>>334896830
Good! We agree 100%!
Let's stop there before this starts back up again!
>>
>>334896659
It's not that stupid if you understand the mindset. Hell, you should, because you're following the exact same pattern. Chime in on any random exchange, with a technicality that is useless for what's being discussed, muddying the context, and derailing what's left. It's par for the course on here.
>>
>>334896830
Then why did you go on so long about two people in a quote tree you had nothing to do with if you agreed with his point? Are you autistic?

And where is the caveman?
>>
>>334896920
It's a shame. C# and WPF is still awesome. Their move to make VS available to amateurs was more than welcome. They're open-sourcing (not just making the source available) a shitload of core components. It's really comfortable to be a dev, with all the shit you're getting for free, that's actually useful.
Shame about the other side of MS though
>>
>>334897015
What does my stance on MS have to do with some other anon confusing Cortana with all tracking in W10?
>>
>>334896767
>you do realize that console gamers only care about graphics for AAA games right
Then why do we have more unique, fun games on console that aren't indie trash than we do on PC?
>>
>>334895373

This, MS and Intel are purposefully trying to destroy the Desktop market because they want full control over content and access through cloud systems.
>>
>>334897132
>still insisting the argument was about cortana when all W10 tracking was mentioned by name
you must be autistic.
>>
>>334897135
you don't, but the barrier of entry into console dev weeds out the real shit, leaving behind games that have at least a minimum of quality and "completeness" to them.
>>
>people aren't buying PCs
I think OP is retarded and doesn't understand the market.
Smartphone sales have slumped and so have tablet sales.
The problem isn't that people aren't buying PCs. It's that people don't see the need to pay out of their anus for the latest and greatest hardware out there.
So hardware companies are scrambling to make something that people will buy early and often.
Which is why you get retarded wearable meme shit and IoT garbage.
>>
>>334897161
Steam started it, and you ate it all up. It's only natural MS is wanting a slice of that.
>>
>>334897135
>indie trash
How to spot someone with a really casual interest in video games
>>
>>334897249
how the fuck does it weed out the real shit when console devs consistently throw out unfinished and shitty games?

SERIOUSLY? You need to nimbly navigate the fuck out of here
>>
>>334897248
to them it was. You're arguing a point nobody but you was making.
>>
>>334897135
I don't understand why you're making fun of indie trash when the PS4 is literally just indie trash now.
>unique, fun games
You mean Dark Souls clone, Tomb Raider clone, and a 3d platformer? Also I think you should take a look at what the best selling console games actually are.
>>
>>334897408
because it's worse on the desktop, simple as that. On the console you need to pass a few gate keepers. On the desktop you can just barf up your demo and call it a day. That includes early access, proof of concept and whatnot. Stuff you won't find that much on consoles.
>>
>>334897330
That's not the same.
Steam started it because of convenience for both them and the end-user. Physical media was fucking hell back in the day because customers would get reamed in the ass by shitholes like Gamestop who would take those physical copies and make little markups and pre-order trickery with them so only a few people would get games or people would order en-masse off the internet.

Valve thought, "Why don't we just cut out the middleman", and that's how Steam was born.

Now, that's not the direction it has gone. But that was why people ate it up to begin with. The convenience is 100% the reason people ate it up initially.

Microsoft saw this and said "I wonder how much money we can make from it?!"
It's the same thing Origin has done
It's the same thing they did with GFWL

And it's constantly going to be in Steam's shadow forever because it's not about convenience, it's about a cash-grab on people too clueless to know any better.
>>
>>334897510
actually you fucking retard steam will have controls in place to weed out the shit. Also it's a bit harder to weed out all the shit when you can just build your game and release it without steam/origin/w/e
>>
>>334897417
You sound legit high right now.
>>
>>334895859

>Including freenium chingchong games that datamines for the Chinese government.

You should be arrested for treason
>>
>>334897330

It's going to go well beyond that, they don't want Desktops to have heavy duty hardware anymore, the industry heads have wanted this change since before Steam became so massively profitable.

The future will see the average computer reduced to slimbooks streaming everything from centralized cloud servers, local computing and save space will be extremely limited.
>>
>>334897610
>Steam started it because of convenience

I'm guessing you're normie who didn't use steam when they first launch.
>>
>>334897610
>That's not the same.
It's exactly the same. A walled garden with excessive social integration and data mining.

>that was why people ate it up to begin with
I'm talking about now, not the past. You're using it, keep using it

>convenience
MS is making your OS oh so convenient as well. Go eat it up.

>it's about a cash-grab on people too clueless to know any better
describes steam quite perfectly.
>>
>>334897640
>steam
I did not mention steam, just desktops

>will have
aka "does not have yet", which fits my point.

>Also it's a bit harder to weed out all the shit when you can just build your game and release it without steam/origin/w/e
You're agreeing with me so loudly and angrily, it's odd. Yes, that was precisely my point. No quality control (which is a good thing), allows the shit and the gems. Desktop has similar amounts of good and mediocre games, if not more, and disproportionally numbers of shit. If you can manage to filter the shit, there's a lot of good stuff left, simple as that.
>>
>>334895859
>Digital sales
>>
>>334897610

Dude, this isn't true at all.

Steam was nothing but a walled garden and data miner when it first came out in ~2003. It was a resource hog that would remain constantly open and was nearly impossible to disable or completely remove from your PC,

End users have jumped on it because of convenience, but that was certainly not the original intent, which was to create a massive DRM-verse where content could be controlled by a central entity.
>>
>>334897727
what do you need "heavy duty hardware" for? Only use case is enthusiast gaming, which does not pay enough to offset the development costs. Much more profitable to target the masses and do gradual improvements to keep up with the competition. Remember, that market's not free or open. It's heavily colluded, with companies deciding when and how to improve quite carefully.

>The future will see the average computer reduced to slimbooks streaming everything from centralized cloud servers, local computing and save space will be extremely limited.
Because that's all the average consumer (not producer) has a use for. And anyone else is just not vocal enough to have an impact, so they'll have to do with the shit they're getting
>>
Intel kinda doesn't care about desktop because they don't need to even try in order to make high end CPUs that are better than AMD's.

Maybe Zen will change this, but doesn't seem like it.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.