[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did you realize a good story was more important for a videogame
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: 1455269870984.jpg (732 KB, 1115x1600) Image search: [Google]
1455269870984.jpg
732 KB, 1115x1600
When did you realize a good story was more important for a videogame than the multiplayer aspects?
>>
>story
>>
Since Super Metroid.

But overdone narritive in the form of long drawn cinematics is bad for a game, iot deers the player and drags on keeping them from actually enjoying or doing anything.

If theres going to be story in a game, it has to be told through actions and the adventure, not forcefed in words or "lore"
>>
>>334846742
Probably the day I drank a jug of stupid juice
>>
>>334846742
I never thought multiplayer aspects were of any use. It's proof ot's a game for casuals.
>>
>>334846798
Story driven through characters is the best.
>>
File: 1434752221470.jpg (35 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1434752221470.jpg
35 KB, 640x427
>>334846742
Having story in a video-game is fucking useless.
>>
>>334847560
>Having story in a video game is useless.

Every videogame to date has a story. just because it didnt capitalize on it at the time doesn't mean its story less.

Pong has an indepth story about two paddle players making it to the big leauges.

Mario is about a plumber who finds a mgic land filled with pipes and evil turtles.

Sonic is about a hedgehog stopping an evil man from imprisoning his friends

The only people who say "Vuideo games didnt have story" are those 00 generation kids who emulated the game and played as is without actually reading or consulting the manuals, or knowing of the advertisements that contributed to it.

TLDR: Read the fucking manual.
>>
File: free-minesweeper-thumbnail.png (4 KB, 288x322) Image search: [Google]
free-minesweeper-thumbnail.png
4 KB, 288x322
>>334847913
>>Every videogame to date has a story
>>
>>334847913
The fact that every videogame has a story doesn't make them any less useless, since they don't add anything to the actual enjoyment of the product
>>
>>334847560
Goddammit, I fucking hate faggots like you. I would have ignored it if you've said that story should not influence the game play in a major way outside of "quest" genre, making it unnecessary "cinematic" and shit, but saying that if video-games shouldn't have any story is fucking retarded. You're like those faggots who parrot Carmack: he was right in the context of ID games, but he wasn't right at all even when he said this bullshit line (assuming Kushner didn't make up the line himself).
>>
File: 1460256795329.png (296 KB, 749x720) Image search: [Google]
1460256795329.png
296 KB, 749x720
>>334846742
Games require neither, both are nice to have

It depends entirely on what kind of game you want to make
>>
Story isnt the word you're looking for. Theres a huge difference between "Plot heavy" "Narrative Driven" and "Story "

Pacman has story. Even if you excluded the backstory namco made later on, "A yellow puck collects dots and escapes ghosts" is still a story. Its not very detailed, but its still enough to tell a story from.

Last of Us, is a Narrative driven experience. Instead of relying on gameplay to tell the story, We have jeol and ellie exchange dialogue every two seconds on things that, we, as the players can easily infer.

>"This shutter won't open"
I can see that. its locked, and i would've learned this by going up to it and trying myself.
>"We'll have to find another way"
Pointless exposition. This is a no brainer.
>"There should be another door in the back."
Why not let me investigate the building myself instead of telling me clearly where to go?

Narritive driven stories insult and aggrivate players because they treat them like complete imbeciles, and do not allow freedom to do, what we see fit before getting to our alleged goal.
>>
>>334848282
Chess doesn't have story, but this has a basic lore of you being a minesweeper who should do his duty without dying like a bitch.
>>
In purely singleplayer games story is defnitely more important because multiplayer doesn't exist so it can't have any value.
>>
>>334848282
>>
Around the time Destiny came out and I realized just how tired I am of AAA's idea of "non-linearity".
>>
>>334846742
When multiplayer became a game of "who can buy the most dlc first"
>>
>>334846742

Carlos, get back to work
>>
>>334848980
Nice story for ants
>>
>>334848458
I don't know, I kind of like stories in video games as long as I can still play the game mostly.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.