[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worried about Mirrors edge Catalyst
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: Mirror's_Edge_Catalyst.jpg (97 KB, 231x326) Image search: [Google]
Mirror's_Edge_Catalyst.jpg
97 KB, 231x326
I just watched the 30 minute Polygon gameplay compilation of the game and i have to say that what i saw didn't fill me with confidence. I haven't been following the development of the game at all because the first Mirrors edge is one of my favorite ps3 era games and i didn't want to hype myself up just to be disappointed. From what i saw i'm not going to say that the game is going to be bad, but there are some minor and less minor things i noticed that worry me that go against the grain of the original game, at least in my opinion.

I'm going to list these things and give a small explanation why i don't like these changes so that all of you will have an easier time following me.

1. Control change of springboarding and soft landings.

They changed it to holding jump instead of double tapping or hitting the crouch button, this might sound so minor but i think that this change might affect a lot on how the game actually feels, now instead of you timing your jumps or rolls the game does it for you, pulling awesome jumps isn't probably going to feel as good as it did in the previous entry.

2.The new runners vision

Previously the runners vision was integrated into the level design, this time it's just a trail that appears in front of you showing the proper path with missions markers to boot. Turning it off is probably not going to be an option this time around for the first playthrough, or it's not going to be wise given the more open world nature of the game. I just dislike games with the gps style objective markers showing you where to go.

3.Leveling up

For fucks sake why does every game want to shove level ups down our throats now days?
Mirrors edge is the last game where you need some arbitrary leveling up mechanics, you are playing some sort of a parkour master who for some reason doesn't know how to quick turns or how to crouch jump until you spend some exp.
>>
(cont.)

4.Open world

I feel like the open world is going to hurt the overall level design thanks to backtracking and them having to create a route back where you came from, hopefully the missions will be well done but even they seem to be much more open relying on the new runners vision gps system.

5.Combat

Granted there wasn't a lot of combat in the demo i saw but most of the promotional stuff i have seen has had Faith pulling of new combat moves and there was a bunch of new moves and combos to unlock in the level up menu leading me to believe that the combat is going to play a bigger role in this than previously, one of the reasons i liked Mirrors edge was that you could avoid every combat encounter except 2-3 depending on how you count, also are the health bars really necessary over the guards this time around?

I'm not really going to touch on the story or the world since those are secondary for me in Mirrors edge, hopefully the game ends up being great but to me it looks like they are going in the wrong direction
>>
How to improve on ME formula:
- add a few new parkour pieces/moves (such as the new corner pipe)
- add moves based on the glitches of the previous game, and possibly from other games (3D mario, Dustforce, whatever)
- add "gamey" hazards/pieces such as moving platforms
- enemies, if any, use telegraphed hitscans, avoidable projectiles or telegraphed melee attacks
- add over the top (boosts, changing direction of gravity, whatever), hard to reach, hard to finish, bonus stages, that reward the most skillful players
- add a simple to use map editor
>>
>>334782668
My complaint is that the game took the skill based elements out of it. knowing how to do certain tricks to traverse the land faster was a more mental skill.

secondly adding collectibles in the game slows down the movement of the game. how am i supposed to speed run everywhere if i have no choice in grabbing all the little collectibles to level up enough to pull off the moves that i had in the first game.
>>
File: banned.png (381 KB, 640x469) Image search: [Google]
banned.png
381 KB, 640x469
Why the fuck do you cross-post from NeoGAF?
>>
File: neocuck.png (52 KB, 1172x524) Image search: [Google]
neocuck.png
52 KB, 1172x524
>>334782668
E-flux is a faggot
>>
>>334782668
>>334782690
>worried about it
dude this game is a MESS
look at this point from 6:40. They are running down a hall with one button press required every 7 seconds or so. And the combat is fucking BORING. Hit X three times to get rid of the shitty melee attackers is lame as shit. Guns need to be back to make this actually interesting
>>
the new runners vision fucking ruins it
>>
The holding just determines what you do, the timing is the same (hold to springboard, tap to vault). Runner vision can be changed back to the way it was in me1.
>>
New runner vision, open world and combat are the biggest things worrying me at this moment. The open world will almost definitely ruin general level design, runner vision is now a GPS Floating glob of red cum you chase which I hope we can turn off.

Combat should always have been an avoidable obstacle in ME, enemies with guns are fine as obstacles but combat being a focus would be shit.
>>
>>334782668
The only one that makes me upset is softlanding. Just holding a button sounds lame and like AssCreed. Inputs should try to replicate the moves as close as possible.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.