[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls beginner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6
So, finally decided to give this game a go. Enjoying the game so far, i suck tho.
Well, since the game doesn't tell much what are some things that i should consider?
Also, what is a good class for starters?
and those black knights at the beginning, should i bother and kill them, or just leave them alone? (they wreck me anyway)

PD: fuck you metal boar
>>
Shameless self bump
>>
>>334770337
best playthrough is blind playthrough
at least for the first one
you can kill the black knights later
theyre tough in the beginning
knight is a good class for starters
>>
Honestly as weird as it sounds let the game kick the shit out of you. You will eventually learn how to fight every enemy that's just how the game is designed and don't be afraid to start over if you think you messed up when I first started I created 4 different characters just keep playing and don't give up
>>
pretty sure the servers are still down, so if you're playing right now, you're missing out in a big way. I'd suggest you save it for later because the online elements are half of the experience for most people, myself included.
>>
you have to fist the boars
>>
>>334772710

Im 70 hours into my first playthrough and I've been playing offline. Is it really that big of a difference? I've been loving the game so far.
>>
>>334772819
probably less so four and a half years after release, but there really is a deceptively large amount of the game tied to online play. Messages, co-op, invasions, synergy circles, kindling, vagrants, and probably even more that I'm forgetting.
>>
>>334770337
It's better to pick one playstyle and invest into the necessary stats rather than invest in an 'overall' character. Don't be afraid to explore but if something is clearly wrecking your shit and takes 10 hits to kill you're either not supposed to be there yet or your weapon is under-levelled. Don't look up guides it ruins the experience
>>
>>334770337
Where you're at there's been, what, one knight down the stairs and one knight up the tower?

I think you can manage the stairs knight. I did the tower knight too, but I remember it taking me several tries.
>>
Dont level resistance
Not sure what to level? Go for more Vit or End
Use humanity to go human and then use it again at a bonfire to get more heals
Upgrade your weapons first then armor if you have spare items
Dont fat roll
Wear stuff with C, B, A or S scaling
Read item descriptions on keys to give you a clue on where to go next
>>
>>334773128
About that, should i level up the weapon from the start or wait for the right one?

i'm used to games where you just throw away the weapon you use after you find a better one.
>>
>>334772659
>let the game kick the shit out of you

This. Take every death as a learning experience. That being said, some tips.

>you can only summon help while in human form, and if you're playing online you can only be invaded in human form

>you can spend a humanity to kindle bonfires to give you +5 estus from that bonfire

>endurance and vitality are always good stats, resistance is always worthless

>remember to upgrade your weapon

>learn and get a feel for how the game queues and buffers commands. you WILL accidentally kill yourself because of this at some point

>an equipment load over 50% of capacity will make you slow as shit and make your dodges slower and shorter
>>
>>334773430
Either. You'll probably have an easier time if you jump for the obviously very strong weapons, but it's completely viable to use almost any weapon in the game if you have the stats and upgrade it enough. Really do focus on levelling your weapon, by the way. It's probably the most important thing you can do.
>>
>>334773430
You can level up several weapons in the game. The game gives a lot of welfare ore to you, and you can buy them semi-cheap. However, elemental ore (red, white) is sparse so use sparingly.

So you can use practically any weapon, although some are shittier than others.
>>
Is there an immunity to cursing to find at some point? Black frogs r ghey
>>
>>334773430
That depends on your starting class.

The longsword is a good enough weapon for the whole game and so is the mace, these are two starter weapons from the warrior and cleric respectively.

Other good weapons to look out for are the Black Knight Sword, Halberd, Claymore, Great Club, Black Knight Great Axe and Balder Side Sword.

Later on when you can use boss souls to create weapons I recommend Quelaag's Fury Sword I used to sit in the forest all day and kill gankers 3v2 at lvl 60 with that thing.
>>
>>334773963
just go fast as fuck around them. They can't actually deal damage to you aside from curse.
>>
>>334773596

>invaded

I think the servers being dismantled has solved that issue
>>
>>334773430

Depends on the weapon you want to use. Every weapon has its own move set so just experiment til you find some you like using and upgrade those.
>>
>>334773430
You should immediately get the Zweihander and only use it.
>>
It's 4:20am here and I just can't sleep, I have fuck all to do so here goes OP...

>starting class doesn't matter as much as you think it does
Any class can eventually be leveled to your play style, and you get all the starter class equipment within the first 1/5th of the game anyway

>stat allocation isn't as easy to fuck up as people say as long as you aren't a total fucking idiot
AVOID putting points into resistance at all costs, it's a total waste, besides that, it's pretty obvious what you should be leveling up. Health and Endurance are necessary no matter what, these are your main stats and should focus on those before anything else. If you like big swords, dump into STR, magic =INT/ATT etc. It's not hard to figure out, but check out the weapon info pages to see what they scale with (E to S rank) if you get stuck.

Cont.
>>
>>334774315
>regarding last tip, leveling up your character is nowhere near as effective as leveling your equipment
Specifically, your weapons. Equipment is upgraded with various sizes of titanite, and is usually a straight damage upgrade. although there are other forms of upgrading (fire, raw, magic etc.) they often have repercussions that will hinder a new player
Speaking of weapons, most standard weapons like the broadsword or claymore e are often more effective than the unique/flashy shit you might find (avoid the drake sword like the plague, it's a trap)

>enemy AI is pants-on-head retarded
At first, every enemy looks and acts tough, but once you realise they ALL have 3-6 attacks that trigger depending on distance, you'll easily be able to savage anything.

Cont.
>>
>>334770337

so above the boar on the bridge with the crossbow guys, you find some strange skulls, and directly below that is a fire. How odd...
>>
>>334775139
>if an area seems ridiculously difficult, you either aren't supposed to be there yet, or don't have the required item/s
Example ahead, minor spoilers though: a common roadblock people encounter in the game is in the lower undead burg, where a certain group of enemies can stunlock and trample you in less than 2 seconds, there's an area you can explore before that however that leads to a magic ring that alleviates this problem In a nutshell, fully explore the areas you are a capable of, and you will either grow strong enough or find what you need to progress.

Cont.
>>
>>334773963
No but you really don't see many after the depths at all. Certain armpits have different curse resistance though.
>>
>you will get lost
Luckily, this is where item descriptions come in. If you get a key, or some sort of quest item, fucking read the damn description. It'll either straight up tell you where to go or at least give you a clue. If that doesn't help, explore past areas again, and fully. You WILL have missed at least something, and the few extra souls are nice too.

>Rolling and certain animations give you a period of invulnerability
Depending on the speed of the roll, at the start of the roll animation you will get a slightly different length of invincibility, allowing you to effectively "roll through" attacks, it's hard to master, but insanely overpowered once you have it down.

Cont.
>>
File: 1418712686089.png (410 KB, 406x536) Image search: [Google]
1418712686089.png
410 KB, 406x536
>>334776059
>certain armpits
>>
>>334776449
Also, backstabbing and Parry/Riposte animations give you about 4 seconds of invincibility, if you time these right in group combat, you will never take damage.

>Shields are great
Literally ez mode. Just don't keep it held up all the time like a retard or you will quickly find you have no stamina and will have your guard broken, only block when you see an attack coming, and then drop it afterwards, this allows your stamina to regen much quicker.

>use bows to draw single enemies away from groups
If you are constantly getting gang raped somehow, then headship one of the faggots from afar and he will come madly running over to you like a retard, and more importantly, on his own. This is probably the only legit use for bows.

Alright. Fuck you, learn the rest on your own. And please, whatever you do don't use a guide, you will never get your first playthroughs of this game again. It's definitely something you need to experience (mostly) blind.

And one last tip: __________________________git gud__________________________
>>
>>334774315
>>334775139
>>334775901
>>334776449
>>334777414

Thanks anon, will take all this into account.
>>
>>334770337
You did a mistake, try to return the game if you still can.
Get DaS3 instead, DaS1 and 2 are just dead. Multiplayer is all the fun about it.
>>
>>334777123
Itsa mee, a phone poster! I meant armours.
>>
>>334777626
No worries m8, happy to help.
>>
Started too, Im 30 hours in and just got to sen's fortress about how far am I through the game?

I have also been kinda using guides, only when I found an item and am afriad if I use it ill fuck myself in the long run.
>>
>>334778321
I have 11 hours and I'm at sen fortress too
I'm still using the halberd
>>
>>334778321

You are almost finished with the beginning of the game.

Once past this point the real challenge begins. Prepare to be frustrated.
>>
>>334778321
You're about a third of the way through m8y, although the rest of the game will feel significantly longer because sen's funhouse and the areas after that have a ridiculous difficulty spike, and will force you to git gud. You've pretty much only just beat the tutorial.
>>
>>334778321
>>334778760
You guys have a ways to go but you are almost at the halfway point.
>>
File: 1455540065778.png (505 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1455540065778.png
505 KB, 600x400
>>334778809
>>334778828
Oh god

>>334778760
I have the zweihander +6 does about 200 some damage
>>
>>334778828
lol I was told the capra demon was the strongest boss tho
anyway, sen fortress is already like that, those serpent fucks barely feels my attacks
>>
>>334779057
>lol I was told the capra demon was the strongest boss tho

Capra Demon isn't the strongest, it was just a somewhat difficult fight to manage in the first fifteen seconds of so of the fight. Not sure if it's true, but I heard they moved the dogs further away from the boss fog so you aren't jumped as soon as you enter anymore.
>>
>>334779057
Shoot whoever told you that please.

Capra is only hard for people who don't understand either poise, blocking or rolling. And if they find Capra hard, oh boy are they in for some fun soon.
>>
>>334779360
Is spear the best weapon type?
>>
>>334770337

Roll anything that you want

Go up the hill and the stairs with firebomb throwing zombies when you first arrive at fire link shrine

Shoot off the dragon's tail

Alternatively bumrush through catacombs and join Nito's covenant when you first arrive at firelink

DaS is now a cakewalk, enjoy
>>
>>334779318
Also this. It's more of a "HOLY FUCK WHAT JUST HAPPENED" moment than legitimate difficulty.

And yes, the dogs were moved slightly in an early patch.
>>
Just finished Duke's archives.

Should I go for Demon's ruins, Catacombs or New Londo?
>>
File: tony_abbott-JUST.jpg (31 KB, 600x452) Image search: [Google]
tony_abbott-JUST.jpg
31 KB, 600x452
>tfw just rested at an Ash Lake Bonfire

I don't want to have to climb up that shit pile of roots
>>
>>334779647
New Londo if you're man enough, the best loot in the game is there
>>
>>334779458
There is no "best" weapon. It's all subjective, depending on its moveset and your playstyle, all weapons are roughly equally effective in terms damage output regardless of what the stats say, just don't be a tard and try using a great sword in a sewer. Some weapons may seem weaker, but often have niche uses or abilities to make up for it.

For example, I completely rek the game with ultra-greatswords or sword 'n' board. But hand me a mace or some magic spells and I completely suck. It's just not my style.
>>
>>334779702
Kek.

This was the reason why I started the game again for the first time.
>>
>>334780215

actually wasn't that difficult, missed like 3 ladders on the way down. Stupid mushrooms though, cute characters like that shouldn't be that brutal.
>>
>>334774069
They are not dismantled, just From constantly fucking PC servers up. This is like the third time now.
>>
>>334773430
Every single weapon is viable.
I advise you to try some of them and choose the one you like the moveset most.
>>
>>334778321
you're at the end of the good part of the game basically

anor londo is ok and the painted world is fucking A+++ like the burg/parish but after that...
>>
>>334781279
>painted world is A+++

its just a bunch of hollows and skeletons creeping around while you go through a maze of a map to get every item
>>
>>334773120
>and probably even more that I'm forgetting

ring bells, ghosts, bloodstains, cursed corpses
>>
>>334781279
Seath is good. Catacombs are good. The other two...
>>
>>334784034
New Londo is good too.
The only really awful part is Izalith.
The other 3 are just hard, but they're well designed.
>>
>>334784183
Yeah, New Londo isn't bad. I think Seath is the best of the four, Catacombs / New Londo are about even I guess - although I thought Catacombs was much more memorable, and I agree Izalith was bad.
>>
>>334770337
I'm playing my first actual playthrough too, op. I had played it before with my friends but it never really caught me like it has now. I just hit anor londo. Playing on ps3 so I still have online and actually still have people to play with surprisingly. Running a dex pyromancer.
>>
>>334779702
I spent 2 hours getting back from ash lake cause I wanted the trophy. Fuck the big mushrooms.
>>
Are Whips worth using?
>>
>>334785037

brilliant for the big mosquitos in Blighttown I found, not much else.
>>
>got done with Anor Londo
>nice, it's time to check out the new areas
>Demon Ruins
>rehashed Taurus and Capra demons, Ceaseless Discharge is lamest boss in the game so far, can't even warp to the bonfires
>and then a THIRD Asylum Demon

I can see why people say the sedond half of the game sucks
>>
>>334785290
Your mom has ceaseless discharge.
>>
DaS is more balanced than DaS3
>>
File: 1424190770424.jpg (137 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1424190770424.jpg
137 KB, 803x688
>>334770337
Are the servers back online yet? I'm at 80% of the game. Almost filled the lordvessel. Just one boss left before i take down the final boss but the fucking servers went offline. The fuck is wrong with fromsoft.

I refuse to finish the game while staying offline.
>>
I also just played this for the first time very recently and fell in love with it. I got a Dark Knight greatsword drop right at the start of the game and it took me through most of the game. It took me until fighting Havel to realize though that going over 50% weight is a terrible idea.

also playing through DS2 and I agree with the concensus that it's not as good as DS1. A lot of the changes just feel like a blunderbuss approach to balance really so it feels more like a traditional RPG than DS1 did (the initally very limited amount of Estus and the weapon stuff meaning that going back to Bonfires constantly is a requirement so you end up grinding through most enemies in an area)
>>
>>334787571
no its not. pyromancy is totally broken in dark souls 1.
>>
>>334770337
Have below 50% equip load or you'll fat roll
Don't neglect to upgrade your weapon, it's often more useful than just leveling up
>>
>>334788841
As opposed to being unviable shit in DaS3?
>>
>>334770337
Get a bow and arrows, lots of them, large if possible. When you get to the dragon, go down the side on the way to create the first shortcut and keep shooting the tip of his tail. After around 30 normal arrows or 20 large ones, his tale will burst and you auto gane the Drake Sword, congrats you now can't be defeated.
>>
>>334785290
it's not that bad beside demons ruins. duke archives and new londo are fine tier, catacombs is my favorite location actually and tombs of giants being tombs of giants. dlc is masterpiece.
>>
>>334788841
yes... if you know what to do
>>
File: 1427903432450.jpg (68 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
1427903432450.jpg
68 KB, 500x384
>>334770337
>Well, since the game doesn't tell much what are some things that i should consider?

There is never an attack by your enemy that's for show. If they are attacking, 9 out of 10 times it will hit unlike games like DMC, so prepare your ass.

Remember to scout the area a lot because you will probably miss some items on your first run.

If you are still weak, try to farm for 4-5 levels and you can feel the different.

Do not feel remorse that you lost your soul because in later game farming soul is piss easy.

Each boss is unique. For some boss you can go furiously attacking (like the tutorial boss). However, for some other you should attack one-two hit and then back off.

>Also, what is a good class for starters?
Either knight or herald.

Remember, every boss has a weakness that you can exploit. Either a long cooldown period after a chain of attack, or low resistance to some in-game element, or easy to parry. Try to find out yourself. That's part of having fun.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.