[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here actually know what the differences between these
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7
File: memeofpsbas.png (1 MB, 1049x676) Image search: [Google]
memeofpsbas.png
1 MB, 1049x676
Does anyone here actually know what the differences between these four games are, and why I should play one over the other three?

Obviously, ignoring the whole Paragon art style being slightly different. This really isn't a game defining difference.
>>
Paragon looks to have the same flaws that Smite has in that they basically took the same exact gameplay from mobas and changed the camera view. Battleborn at least feels like it's an FPS first and a moba second. I haven't played the other two.
>>
>>334762309
Gigantic was alright
I liked the art style, character designs, and buying "towers". However, I wasn't a fan of hero rotation and the income gained by playing was too low for me. Plus Win10 exclusive is going to kill it.

Battleborn was legitimately fun. I enjoyed the co-op PvE, PvP was fast paced, high skill ceiling, heroes are unlocked through gameplay. I'm curious what they're going to change between now and release.

Haven't played the other 2.
>>
File: Gigantic_Tripp.jpg (471 KB, 872x490) Image search: [Google]
Gigantic_Tripp.jpg
471 KB, 872x490
>>334762309

Gigantic is the most skill intensive one by far. If you suck you'll get slaughtered. It's probably my favorite.

Battleborn is somewhat shallow, but it makes it up with fun gameplay and different modes to play.

Don't know about the other 2.
>>
Paragon is slow
Gigantic is Windows 10 only
Battleborn is $60
Paladins has a shit card system
>>
>>334763656

Forgot that Paragon has a shit card system too, my main gripe with them was that they locked Kallari behind some level up shit when they switched from alpha testing to beta testing.
>>
Battleborn had a pretty interesting single player, but >$60. Multiplayer was a clusterfuck.
>>
Gigantic is the best in Aesthetics, Characters in gameplay

Battleborn has the better unlock system, but is pretty garbo as far as everything else goes

All Paragon has going for it is it looks nice, and Paladins is made by Hirez so anyone that expects anything of worth from that has only themselves to blame
>>
>>334762309

Paragon is the only one that's an actual MOBA

Paladin's is a ultra casual Overwatch.

Gigantic is a class based tower defense game

Battleborn is First Person Monday Night Combat
>>
>>334764263

>Hirez

O shit, nevermind. Didn't know that.
>>
>Paladins

Have fun with that until Hi Rez gets bored and hops on the next genre fad and drops support.
>>
>>334764373
>Gigantic is a class based tower defense game
So a MOBA.

>Battleborn is First Person Monday Night Combat
So a first person MOBA.
>>
>>334764373

>Gigantic is a class based tower defense game

This is a really bad way of putting it, but I can't really say you're wrong. It's my favorite out of all the hero shooters coming out, but I do enjoy BB a lot too.
>>
File: BLC.jpg (50 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
BLC.jpg
50 KB, 460x215
>>334764560

Gigantic is a lot closer to BLC than Dota in terms of Moba.
>>
>>334764373
MOBA =/= Assfaggots

Assfaggots fit under the name but they don't make it
>>
File: 1385294817123.jpg (67 KB, 894x314) Image search: [Google]
1385294817123.jpg
67 KB, 894x314
> Epic is making a bunch of awesome engine optimizations and features into Unreal Engine for Paragon

Thanks consoles and ASSFAGGOTS you guys are good for something at least.
>>
>>334764560

No.

Gigantic is not a MOBA. The only thing it shares with the MOBA genre is that there is a in match level up system.

Also Monday Night Combat is not a MOBA either and neither is Battleborn. They're different. Paragon is the only one on the list that's a MOBA
>>
>>334762309
Paragon: mediocrity NOBODY cares about
Gigantic: Win 10, irrelevant trash
Battleborn: an interesting MOBA with FPS mechanics, it's alright.
Paladins: MOBA with Hearthstone mechanics, also interesting.
Overwatch: Interesting FPS with MOBA mechanics, it's also alright, easily the front-runner for "best of this new wave of shit." line.
>>
>>334764668
But doesn't Gigantic literally have an ancient, minion lines, and towers?
Beyond that, heroes that fight over destroying towers, and eventually ancients?

BLC was pure PVP in dynamic arenas.
No minions, no towers, no ancients, no end objectives, just kill or be killed.
>>
Paragon is a straight up MOBA, you can't play it like any other game and expect to do well.

Battleborn is a shooter with MOBA elements, but even if you ignore all those elements, you can still perform well if you're good at shooters.

I don't know what Gigantic or Paladin are.
>>
>>334764898

>minions
Nope

>Towers
More like summonable capture points. They can be for detection or building walls to cut off advantageous terrain

>Lanes
Nope

It's kind of like GW2 pvp meets BLC. It's very fast paced.
>>
>>334762309
Gigantic has a great unique art style. Most characters feel like you're just pressing-and-holding to slice through butter. Game mode isn't a moba at all yet it's too complicated for its own good, W10 exclusive and the devs aren't popular/experienced enough for it to survive.

Haven't played Paragon but it seems to play similar to Smite but with slightly more verticality and maybe even slower. Basically just Dota in first person with a realistic art style and shitty card system. It'll probably only survive because Epic is behind it.

Battleborn is great and is similar to Super Monday Night Combat, which died, so it's pretty unique on the market right now. Plays like a class shooter with objectives, but said objectives are all inspired by mobas. Simple but has enough dept and diversity to last 2-3 years I think. It'll suffer from its pricetag at launch. I hope it ends up F2P with micro-transactions like how TF2 did its transition.

Paladins is some kind of unborn child that doesn't know what it wants to be. Terrain is huge and flat. They put mounts so that they can sell you skins for them. The random card system is also shit, ruins progression and makes your build completely dependent on luck.
>>
>>334764898
Gigantic has no minions or towers only monsters that you can summon. They move around in a pre determined area within the circle that you summoned them into.
>>
I miss the Gigantic alpha test
>>
>How to make a good MOBA
Step 1: Free-For-All wide arena combat
Step 2: 1 life per game
Step 3: Whole arena is a Jungle
Step 4: A few shopkeeps who will not buy anything from you, but will sell you shit
Step 5: Random loot drops at center every X minutes
Step 6: arena gets smaller as time goes on
Last man standing wins, "events" optional.

Yes, It's basically Hunger Games, but top-down MOBA shit, but it'd be fun for a bit.
>>
>>334765606
Isn't it in beta right now?
>>
>>334765724
So... The Culling/H1Z1
>>
>>334765724
>1 life per game
>in a genre that focuses on leveling up
>>
>>334765724

I'm sure you could do this with Dota 2's map tools, I believe in you anon. Then your game can grow and kill Dota 2 like how DotA killed WC3, wouldn't that be neat
>>
>>334765898
Yes.
After-death, you become the equivalent of a "Sponsor." You passively gain money, plus what you died with to spend on the current living people, either as benefits or punishments.
>>334765826
Not sure about H1Z1, but Culling is mostly just that, but as an FPS, yeah.
>>
>>334765606
https://www.reddit.com/r/gigantic/comments/4fc0ck/gigantic_closed_beta_keys_want_one_get_one/
>>
>>334764898
nop, no minions, no lanes.
there capture points where you can summon creatures ( build walls, heal, stun, aoe damage..etcetc ).
insted of a nexus you have a gigantic creature, when you do kills and summon and kill other creatures you get points, those points go to a bar, when you fill up the bar your gigantic creature attack and hold the ther creature.
you have to do that at least 3 times to win. in each mach there a a clash mode, in this mode, the arena change, the gigantics move closer to each other and you can no longer summon creatures.
the game is really good and fun, a shame that evryone trash it just because is win 10 exclusive
>>
>>334766129
What sound is gunna play every time a person dies? A fucking vuvuzela?
>>
>>334766006
>DotA 2 Map Tools
Probably, yeah. I'll actually look into it a bit.
>>
>>334766358
Only in Brazil.
RoW, probably either the screech of a Hydra or a generic cannon boom.
>>
>>334766193
I dislike Gigantic because the game mode is basically team deathmatch and spawn creatures until your giant gets up its lazy ass, then you need to somehow get past the enemy lane to damage the enemy giant. Rinse and repeat a dozen times until clash happens where the spawning creatures part is disabled and map gets shrunk down, at which point whoever was the most leveled wins.

The focus on pointless deathmatch makes no sense. They could've kept the art style, characters, level up system, and turn it into a more regular game mode and would've done fine.
>>
File: 1338425187107.png (151 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1338425187107.png
151 KB, 480x480
>>334764560
im saddened to see that now a days people don't know the term tower defense and what it means gameplay wise vs a MOBA. truly. these are sad days.
>>
>>334766797
Not him, but I agree, sad affair.
>Sanctum is a first-person Tower Defense with FPS mechanics
>Sanctum 2, release, is a first-person shooter with Tower Defense mechanics
And soon after that, Tower Defense games went the way of the Dodo, the last few good ones moving to Mobile, see Kingdom Rush Origins.
>>
>>334765724
Nice, you've just described multiplayer bomberman.
>>
>>334767149
>That
>MP Bomberman
I do hope you're baiting. Cause that is some top-quality shit if you are.
>>
>>334767260
Besides shopkeepers what is different from bomberman in your description at all?
>>
File: wott.png (195 KB, 376x283) Image search: [Google]
wott.png
195 KB, 376x283
>>334767149
holy shit Bomberman is a moba without shops or lanes
>>
>>334767349
The fact you're in a boxed arena, die in one hit, have one way to kill people, fast-paced, and powerups, among other things. One plays totally different from how one might play.
>>
>>334767530
>multiplayer
check
>online
check
>bomberman
check
>arena
check

bomberman is a moba confirmed
>>
>>334762309
Battleborn is Monday Night Combat PvP with Destiny Strike PvE missions.

Gigantic is a team based capture point game with characters that have abilities and upgrades. There's no laning or anything just straight combat.

Paragon is the most tradition and actual moba out of all 4 of them.

Paladins is a mess that doesn't know what it wants to be.
>>
>>334767604
>boxed arena
yup
>die in one hit
yup
>have a way to kill people
yup
>fast paced
yup
>powerups
yup

Still seeing bomberman.
>>
I enjoyed the Battleborn beta. Certainly not worth $60, though.
>>
>>334767924
Me too. I feel like if they spent 6 more months polishing it it'd be amazing.
>>
>>334767604
>he never played bomberman, the post
>>
>>334767980
If they didn't waste their time on co-op story mode it would've been perfect.
I might still buy a cd key for cheaper. Depends how much time I'll have left if I also play Overwatch.
>>
>>334767779
>bending my words
Try again.
>Boxed arena
Much larger than Bomberman.
>Die in one hit
So you haven't played any ASSFAGGOTS.
>One way to kill people
Not in the slightest.
>fast-paced
Only in combat, rest is slow and painful, the way I like it.
>Powerups
In what ASSFAGGOTS do I blow up bricks and get free upgrades?
Classic MOBA definition = modern ASSFAGGOTS.
90% of everything today is a MOBA by modern standards.
>>
Does the MMO Bomberman thing still exist? I remember playing it ages ago and it was quite silly.
>>
>>334762309
Whatever you do please don't even try Paragons
>>
>>334768443
There weren't many words to bend, m8.

It's okay, you've come up with an amazing idea that boils down to Bomberman, a game you've never played.

Chill out.
>>
>>334768637
>A game I've never played.
I played most of them and still own Generations and Jetters.
What I envision and what Bomberman MP play like are not similar in the slightest.
Thanks, though.
>>
>>334762625
>Paragon
Absolutely true. The map design is also super flawed for a shooter, and the ranges for attacks is absolute garbage
>Battleborn
Don't agree with this, it really doesn't feel FPS first. Death timers don't really fit in with the pace of the game, you can drop really fast in a FPS and you don't have all the information provided to you because of the perspective. So you die and have to respawn in 40 seconds later in the game. The turret shit also feels really SMNC
>>
>>334762309
one isn't using meme graphics.
>>
>>334769159
Respawn times are only like 5 seconds until 15 minutes into the match. Then it's about 20 seconds, which is similar to how TF2 does it.
>>
>>334769484
TF2 has perpetual randomized 15-25 second respawn timers all match long unless your server is customized.
>>
Gigantic is gorgeous and I would play it in a heartbeat, but exclusivity to the Windows Store completely kills it for me. Fuck that forever. Sorry, Motiga, you fucked up hard.

Paragon is completely uninteresting to me but the fact that it's so visually distinct makes me think it stands the best shot of surviving. Not going to play.

Battleborn is one I hope is good, I might get it.

I don't know what the fuck paladins is and I don't intend to find out.

Overwatch is neat.
>>
>>334769484
It scales with levels too, like in Dota.
>>
Battleborn is the sequel SMNC should have been, like others have said.

Gigantic is Guild Wars 1 arena made by Guild Wars 1 devs.

I haven't played the other two, but Paladins is made by hi-rez so I don't have a lot of hope for post-release support. I'll never not be mad about GA and TA.

>>334769582
>Sorry, Motiga, you fucked up hard.
Microsoft gave them money for the exclusivity, so it was probably either W10/Xbox One only or no game at all, sadly.
>>
>>334762309

Gigantic is the pretty one
>>
>>334772082
>it was probably either W10/Xbox One only or no game at all, sadly.
I'm pretty sure this is exactly what happened. Microsoft was just desperate for exclusives the last 2 years so they pumped out trailers for games that will never come out and Motiga jumped on that.
Even with that money they recently let go a bunch of employees. I guess it's normal though, teams working on polishing and shipping games are usually small but well paid.
>>
Overwatch is going to be king of the wave of hero shooters obviously. Battleborn will probably be distant second, although it'll go F2P eventually. Gigantic looks neat but I won't have the system to play it probably.

I know nothing about Paragon and Paladins looks like garbage.
>>
>If Gigantic fixes bugs, releases a few more maps and more heroes it'll easily be the best most competitive one out of the bunch
>Ppl screaming MUH W10

lol
>>
>>334774769
I just got into the beta yesterday, and it was 100% worth dual booting W10 for. That being said, having finally tried W10, it was nothing but problems for me.

>few more maps
How does the map pool work, anyway? Do they put different maps in at different times of the day? I played the same map, like, 10 times in a row, and then when another one finally showed up it was played 3 times in a row.
>>
Just got Gigantic Beta, but couldn't find a match.
Guessing everyone is just sleeping or whatever. Will try again tomorrow.
>>
They're the spawn of the MOBA genre, the new "Hero shooter"

They're cancer and should be avoided at all costs.
>>
>>334775806
I heard EU has some matchmaking issues right now, if you're over there. It was pretty inconsistent for me in NA -- sometimes it'd take 10+ minutes to find a match, other times queues were popping instantly.

They're giving keys out to absolutely anyone who asks, so I can't imagine there's a shortage of people playing.
>>
>>334775647

Some weird shit about new players only play one map and for some reason that one map just like dissappears when you get higher level.

I hardly ever play Coral anymore but you'll play it non-stop as a new player. It's weird. Don't think it's going to stay that way.
>>
>>334775806

EU is slim, US is fine tho mostly. I get in matches in less than 5 minutes on average.
>>
File: Gigantic-CBT-5-Update.png (170 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
Gigantic-CBT-5-Update.png
170 KB, 1000x563
Not to shill or anything, but one of the few big beta key giveaways is going on atm on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigantic/comments/4fc0ck/gigantic_closed_beta_keys_want_one_get_one/

If you are looking to give it a shot before open beta later this year. It still has active players since it's crossplay with xbox. Once it pops up on the microsoft store as F2P it'll blow up on Xbone for certain.
>>
>>334778040
You f'rizzle? PC-Xbox crossplay?
>>
>>334778405

Yeah, only reason closed beta didn't die off. It's pretty sweet honestly.
>>
>>334775871
>MOBA

This is technically true, since most people consider all FPS to be the progeny of Quake, the original multiplayer online battle arena.
>>
>see battleborn is open beta
>try it out
>everything feels sluggish as hell
>want to shoot people but it feels really awful, a lot like borderlands
>wait a second... Minions? Towers?
>oh my god
>this is a moba
>no
>rush to uninstall it
>I begin to feel insatiable thirst for vodka
>its too late, I've been exposed for too long
>legs being squatting by themselves
>nnnghh
>cyka blyat
>>
>>334780612
kek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4m5HSjp7tk

There aren't really towers, though. More like turrets.
>>
>>334764898

No. You can summon monsters that stay in one place and do things like heal, radar, or make walls.

Your goal is to run across the map and beat the shit out of the other time and their zelda-like boss monster.
>>
I know it's MOBAshit but I'm still bummed they made Gigantic Windows10 exclusive.

The art looked beautiful and the gameplay probably the most inviting out of all of the above games.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.