[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we fix horror?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: encounter-display.jpg (21 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
encounter-display.jpg
21 KB, 300x400
How do we fix horror?
>>
>>334760856
More walking simulators with jump scares and promotion through lets-players.

Or just take actual games and add a screaming face once every hour. Spooky Tetris or something
>>
>>334760856
Make a game about Ayy's

They creep me out
>>
Go back in time and prevent P.T. from being cancelled
>>
>>334760856
Make the actions that the protagonist(s) can makes believable and relatable (save for the silly shit of you're doing things sh style)
Keep the entity mysterious (no "crazy person who's seen this before / this happened, but no one seems to remember / let's investigate" bullshit; it's beyond fucking comprehension [once again, except if you're doing it like sh])
Make and keep the protagonist(s) likeable
Punish the fuck out of the player for death, but not too hard (for instance, going back an hour in progress is fine, but having to start over completely will just enrage the player to the point in which he forgets about being scared)
Keep the player as vulnerable as possible (weapons have zero effect / there are no weapons)
>>
>>334761474
Why was it cancelled? Just because it was a Kojima project and he got fired?
>>
>>334760856
Add more fast things running at you from far away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pQe_i5w5K8
>>
>>334761904
Yeah pretty much

Konami hates video games
>>
>>334760856
Make it really offensive so that Let's Players can't play it and it can't be streamed on twitch
>>
>>334761474
P.T. was horrible, I don't understand how people liked it or thought it was good.

>literally hallway/walking simulator
>random ass puzzles
>muh Kojima breaking the 4th wall
>shitty jump scare(s)
>pewdiepie pandering
>unimaginative monster (a ghost, c'mon now)

I am aware it was a demo/teaser but it wasn't a very good one at that.
>>
>>334761895
Sounds a lot like Clock Tower, actually
>>
My take. And yes, I like SH Homecoming.
>More psychological/ambient shit
>MEANINGFUL jumpscares - don't have a random pipe fall or something, have a tough monster surprise you in an otherwise peaceful hallway, or have a beloved character fall from the roof in front of you dead or dying
>Less jumpscares with less leadup. Don't make them predictable.
>Better art style instead of muh gpu-punishing gfx
>More likeable/convincing protagonists
>Give players hope, but without giving them the opportunity to become OP. This doesn't mean breakable weapons, but punishing enemies. In a non-combat form, this could be multiple paths to get away or multiple ways to accomplish tasks. Silent Hill 3 and Resident Evil 2 tied for doing this best, IMO.
>Good storylines and character development, a la Parasite Eve
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.