[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>VR was supposed to aid with immersion in already great first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 17
File: 1460896829056.jpg (181 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1460896829056.jpg
181 KB, 1920x1200
>VR was supposed to aid with immersion in already great first person piew games
>VR can't be done with standard movement controls without causing nausea to half the userbase
>Requires you to move your head around like a spastic
>Asks you to use waggle controls like the Wii
>The Vive asks you to have a 2 meter by 2 meter square space in the place you play, sometimes even bigger
>Technology and games for it are overly expensive
>Games required to run at 90 frames per second, which means they look way shittier than the average game by default
>Some of the games for it aren't even fucking first person view
>Literally will only ever be good for vehicle simulators like driving or flying games.

VR might be the future of some media, but video games are most certainly not in that category.

>YFW the fad hasn't even begun yet
>YFW we're in for at least five more years of developers wasting their time and resources making games for VR for casuals to chew up, just like the Wii

The future is here.
>>
File: 1452178234649.jpg (353 KB, 1036x1080) Image search: [Google]
1452178234649.jpg
353 KB, 1036x1080
Y-Y-Y-YOU J-J-J-JUST HAVEN'T T-TRIED I-I-IT O-O-OUT Y-Y-YOURSELF
IT'S WORTH IT. I SWEAR!!!

IT'S NOT FUCKING FA-BLAAUHGAUHGAUGHAAAAAUHGUHGUAHGAUHG
>>
File: 1459874709834.webm (963 KB, 404x592) Image search: [Google]
1459874709834.webm
963 KB, 404x592
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ0JTkBZdyw
>>
>>334607089
>editing 10 hours of stream into 20 minutes

They are more positive about it than this video suggests, it's just that there is a lot of vr shovelware on steam right now
>>
>>334607248
They really weren't that positive about it. Even Dan the colossal retard that buys a million amiibos doesn't want to buy a V.R. headset anymore despite the fact he was saying it was the future.
Jeff concluded it best when he said "Some of these things are cool, but they aren't 600 dollars cool and they get old in a week, I don't even want to bother setting up these headsets when I know I won't bother using them"
>>
Don't forget about all the shovelware that has been developed for it. Fair enough that it's early, but if this is the best they could gather for their launch, I really want to know how they'll get any major studio to do anything with V.R. other than maybe add a V.R. mode as an afterthought.
>>
I feel bad for the people that invested on this shit.
>>
The concept of VR was flawed from the get go, it's always been a pipe dream that people think is cool until they actually get their hands on it and realize it's just another gimmick.
>>
>>334607475
Yeah, but that video is edited to make it look like they disliked the stuff they enjoyed, like the Lab and Starseed. Even though there are valid points against it, some anti-vr guy decided absolutely everything has to look bad.
>>
File: Embarassing.png (134 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
Embarassing.png
134 KB, 334x393
>>334607089
>>
>>334608078
True, but on the other hand, it also didn't show the dozens of other games where they were bored or shit talking them.
>>
>>334608013
more like they get their hands on it and struggle to make excuses as to why it's still the future of gaming and it's just early adopter tech wait until the next generation
>>
File: 1456465080582.jpg (11 KB, 216x280) Image search: [Google]
1456465080582.jpg
11 KB, 216x280
VR is so dead, the only way to talk about it is to bring it up.
>>
>>334608351
>the only way to talk about it is to bring it up.
I think that's how all things work in a conversation, to be honest.
>>
>>334608298
this, the cycle will just begin a new in a decade or two. WE CAN DO VR NOW FOR REAL GUYS, TRUST ME!
and good goys will fall for it like little sheeple
>>
>>334608538
But for it not to be dead it should be an ongoing conversation where I can just jump right in.
>>
>>334608298
>Holopoint
>Selfie Tennis
>Chair in a room
>A10 vr
>shitty baseball game

It showed a few. I'm not gonna buy vr or advertise it as a good investment, it just tickles my autism when this video gets posted around and then people like >>334608129 respond as if the whole thing is a complete failure. Watching the full stream at least made me slightly more optimistic about vr in the future.
>>
>>334609175
>Watching the full stream at least made me slightly more optimistic about vr in the future.
That's funny. I watched both streams and if anything, I think that video didn't show off just how bad V.R. looks
>>
File: 1330954718067.png (53 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1330954718067.png
53 KB, 1000x1000
Can't we just have a VR headset for FPS games instead? Like, exactly the same gameplay, same controls, no fucking wagglan, but with depth perception. That's all I'm asking for. Doesn't even need headtracking, I just want a wide FOV and depth perception, god damn
>>
>>334609531
Anon, that's exactly what they wanted to make, but then they tested it out and realized that the majority of the userbase got sick when trying to control itself with a controller/keyboard and mouse while watching it in VR
They spent millions of dollars researching and Q.A. testing it, hoping to be able to make normal first person games adapt to it, and they failed both because VR games need their own specific control schemes and incredible performance to not be nauseating.

The only exception to this is games where you control a vehicle.
>>
>>334606574
Bought a Rift, it arrived Wednesday of this week.

To put it bluntly; it's incredible - EVE: Valkyrie in particular I've played for hours, it really feels like you're in a space dog fight.

Pixels are noticeable, but once you're immersed it's not even a problem.

I too was in the camp of "What the fuck is the point of third person games in VR?" but after trying Lucky's Tale, I can understand why you'd want to play things that way; it feels as though you're inside the world, with depth etc.

VR's not perfect, Lucky's Tale/Oculus Demo's were fine.
I get a teeny bit motion sick after playing EVE for extended periods of time, but it's not a 'throw up' kind of sick.

Overall really fuckin' impressed, VR is the future - definitely for video games.

It's by no means cheap, but worth it if you can afford to splash out.

Not a shill, just thought I'd chip in.
>>
File: 325412153.jpg (398 KB, 551x600) Image search: [Google]
325412153.jpg
398 KB, 551x600
>Sturgeon's law, ie 90% of everything is crap, applies to VR
>therefore VR is dead

Might as well just say video games in general are a failed concept

I'll reserve judgement until I actually try it desu
>>
>>334609982
Buyer remorse in 3... 2... 1...
>>
>>334610064
>90%
Where'd you get that number? From what I've seen 100% of games for VR are trash.
>>
File: 5343213124121.jpg (37 KB, 250x272) Image search: [Google]
5343213124121.jpg
37 KB, 250x272
>piew

Learn to spell you faggot
>>
>>334609832
I don't really buy that. It's probably more due to the playtesters being babies. I remember people saying they were getting "seasick" from playing Half-Life back in the day. Same thing.

Casuals are to blame, once again.
>>
>>334612990
People have reported some nausea as it is with the Vive and Occulus out right now.
Whether it's the casuals or not, it's irrelevant, half the userbase gets sick when playing, your game is not selling.
>>
>>334606772
I was deadly afraid that I would get motion sickness. I was never able to play half-life and the like, but the room scale games have given me no motion sickness, while the cockpit games have been ok.
The moment I loose control and the car spins, I don't know how it will turn out.
>>
>>334614247
Even if you get a bit nauseated, I'm sure you won't barf outright. Barfing only happens to morons who ignore nausea and keep playing.
>>
The thing about VR is, I can BARELY be assed to flip my TV's input over to another HDMI port to switch consoles.

Like everyone else, I turned off the 3D slider after an hour with the 3DS because the effect wasn't worth the hassle of holding the device Just So in front of my face.

I cannot IMAGINE being like "welp, lets dig out the headgear and shit and strap in to all that nonsense, I wanna play XYZ".

Almost every good game that supports VR will/would be perfectly playable without it. Even if it worked perfectly (it doesn't) and performed acceptably (it doesn't) and the immersive effect was really just breathtaking, it STILL almost certainly wouldn't be worth the personal hassle of strapping in to the damn thing.
>>
>>334609982
Congratulations, you've now played the two kinds of games that work in VR: cockpit games (which includes car games, I mean cockpit generally), and low-degree-of-freedom third-person games (i.e., platformers). You could split hairs and say that racing is distinct from dogfighting, which would give you a third game you haven't played yet.
Hope you really, really, really like dogfighting, racing, and platforming.
>>
File: 543.jpg (12 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
543.jpg
12 KB, 250x250
You people.

The technology is in the definition of infancy. The products available aren't even fit for consumer use, they're more like incredibly expensive presentations of the concept.

You all may bash the shit out of VR, but it's incredibly exciting technology. Not often do we see civilization changing technology like this in its early stages anymore. The last time we've seen this kind of technology that was destined to make a huge impact on society were the invention of cell phones.

Its going to make you nauseous because the technology is imperfect and rudimentary. We know too little about how humans handle VR and it will eventually be perfected to provide seamless VR experiences.

But seriously, don't buy this shit until at least another few years unless you have money to throw down the drain. It WILL get better. Significantly so.
>>
>>334615067
It absolutely doesn't.

It's still a purely audiovisual gimmick, and that's the issue. It needs a MUCH higher degree of sensory immersion before it even comes CLOSE to being "revolutionary".

Even if it looks like 8-bit shit, the sensation of reaching out and touching a solid virtual object is the first and most important one to capture. We've been steadily improving the realism and efficiency of virtual visuals for 2 decades and apart from crowding out hand-drawn animation in disney films, it's made ZERO appreciable mark on our culture.

Proper virtual tactile feedback (with inertia and weight simulation) would, if nothing else, have an immediate and major effect on things like manufacturing and medicine. From there the impact on videogames, from an input perspective, would be pretty ridiculous, and from THERE the desire for proper virtual head placement might matter.
>>
>>334614573
I've had to quit and lay down for a bit in many games.
FPSs
>>334612990
I was one of those. I couldn't look at the screen while someone was playing quake..
Assassin's creed gives me nausea some times.
So I've gotten pretty good at stopping at the right moment, it's just two days with the Vive, but I have not experienced motion sickness yet.
>>334614721
Standing and roomscale games have potential.

The problem are FPSs
>>
>>334615613
That's called haptics. It's a real thing that's mostly a toy for researchers but does occasionally see use in, e.g., medical training. Right now haptics typically uses a glove with servos on it that restrict your movement, and even then our tactile sensitivity is much higher than our visual sensitivity, so it's very tricky to do anything good with it.

>>334615893
>The problem are FPSs
And RPGs and non-platform action or adventure games or really anything other than cockpits, platformers, and "games" where you stand still.
>>
>>334615893
>The problem are FPSs
So, the most popular vidya format and also the one that devs looking to create realism and immersion for users of standard tech more or less have to turn to.

That does not bode well for the technology; it can't appeal easily to the mass market and it can't appeal to its most obvious niche (fans of high realism) without getting software devs making games for that crowd to abandon non-VR buyers.
>>
>>334616173
Haptics is useful for conveying a sense of texture, not weight.

You can rub a virtual object, but you can't pick it up. You can't grab it or push it. You can't really interact with it in any way.

Which is, of course, the larger problem with VR; it keeps pushing further and further forward in its ability to place us believably inside a virtual space, instead of taking steps to let us interact WITH that virtual space, which is what vidya is all about.

Current VR tech would actually pretty incredible for MOVIES, but it's shit for games because it only really excels in spaces where you're a passive observer of the world.
>>
>>334616173
Once you solve FPSs RPG and the other genres are a matter of scale and focus.
We are in the pacman galaxian era of VR games
>>
>>334606574
Gotta salty 14 year old OP who's mom wouldn't buy him a headset.

The vive is dope. Immersion moving around in Windlands, The Lab, Audioshield, and Job Simulator are actually really cool and fun. It will be the future but a lot of NEETs on here will be dead within five years when it's cheaper and better.
>>
>>334616815
You mean the era that also gave us Adventure and Pitfall? See, the thing about futurism is that most of the things that happened in gaming were (in a sense) foreshadowed by early gaming. This may sound Jungian or some shit, but what I mean is that modern game developers aren't so different from early game developers. They both want(ed) to accomplish the same things, and had similar sorts of methodologies and design paradigms. And fittingly, most 3d games are a "dimensional lift" of a 2d game, be it the top-down shooter or the tile-based RPG.
The thing that makes me so pessimistic about HMDs is that the usual design paradigms don't work out, and the futurists are counting on some sort of scientific revolution in computer science to keep the dream alive. Now that might happen, but I won't be shelling out, nor do I care enough to direct my own research to it. I'm all for revolutionary science, but the payoff for HMDs is way too low for that when, e.g., parallelism is far more interesting and important.
>>
File: 1460718150071.jpg (71 KB, 581x542) Image search: [Google]
1460718150071.jpg
71 KB, 581x542
>>334606574
Until I can play games like Battlefield and Maybe the new TitanFall in VR, I have no interest in it.
>>
So much about that second point. It was touted so much to be an immersion helper, yet currently it's impossible to use it for a great majority of games without resulting in nausea.

Until they can fix that issue and let you move around freely in games as you should be allowed, it's just going to be for cockpit sims and teleport shit. Which is basically a niche of a niche for video game markets.
>>
>>334615067
>Not often do we see civilization changing technology like this in its early stages anymore. The last time we've seen this kind of technology that was destined to make a huge impact on society were the invention of cell phones.
Hahahaha, you're fucking delusional. It's a gimmick now and it will always be a gimmick.
>>
>>334614587
I dig out my steering wheel whenever I'm playing gta and the joystick when I'm playing arma. I also have a couple gamecube controllers hooked to the pc and stashed under the desk for when I'm playing games that are better with analog sticks.

How did you become so lazy?
>>
>>334618018
>Until they can fix that issue and let you move around freely in games as you should be allowed
What if the issue is unfixable? They've been spending a lot of time working on the tech and still haven't found a good way of moving you.
>>
>>334618018
Isn't that a problem with the human brain itself? Due to the movement you see crashing with the lack of actual physical motion. Can you even circumvent that?
>>
>>334618272
Even if they find some miraculous way of circumventing the issue, it will inherently mean that movement will be less fluid and not as good as non-VR video games.
I don't think you'll ever be able to pull off Titanfall on VR without having a ton of people getting sick from it, for example.
>>
>>334618107
Having to work and getting older does that to everybody. Videogames are there so you can have fun while relaxing. Pretty much like watching TV.
>>
>>334618195
>>334618272
Basically the main thing is that you're going to need a method like the omni, but far less sizeable and expensive. Until that tech is also carried with VR and something beyond enthusiast tier for price, it's going to be nothing more than what it is now. No FPS, pixel density, or FOV is going to change that fact.
>>
File: 135891681.png (108 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
135891681.png
108 KB, 480x360
>>334606772
https://youtu.be/qWVG4_0bdDc
>>
>>334618503
And that's why you don't try to reinvent the wheel. It's pointless.
>>
>>334618543
The last thing I'd ever want to do while playing videogames after a long day at work is to have to walk around while I play, so no, thanks.
>>
>>334618691
Not if you can market the eight sided square to the good goys that believe it's the greatest thing ever and surely worth the money. V.R. is a joke and a fad but Facebook and Valve are still gonna make a fuckload of money from it.
>>
>>334617529
More powerful graphic cards and higher density displays would help and that's not revolutionary.
v2 will be better
>>
>>334618801
That's just it, that's the only realistic solution for it. You could basically trick the brain if you were able to send it signals, but that tech is even farther behind than VR right now, much less consumer grade.
>>
File: 192618361906.jpg (215 KB, 1024x647) Image search: [Google]
192618361906.jpg
215 KB, 1024x647
>>334618801
>work
wakecuck
>>
>>334618926
Nah, man, eight sided squares are the future! You just haven't tried them out!
>>
>>334619068
>Weebshit being a "plus"
>Implying any self improvement is there when you're watching weebshit
>>
>>334619068
Kill yourself, you fucking leech.
>>
>>334618941
So you'll be able to play cockpit, platform, and standing-still games with higher pixel density. I sure am sold now, this is definitely the future of gaming.
>>
>>334619068
>waifus
>VR waifus
What's the difference?
>>
VR would've been perfect for those Mechwarrior arcade centers, or arcade cockpit games in general as another anon said. They're the definition of arcade technology; niche, expensive, but offering a unique experience people will want to shell out a bit of money to try for awhile. Is it because arcades are dead? Because this sure as hell isn't going to catch on as a consumer product.
>>
>>334619068
I wish I was 16 again.
>>
>>334619339
Sounds very unhygienic, to be honest.
>>
>>334619339
The only way I see VR working is in amusement parks.
>>
>>334606574
Why would anybody want to use motions censors? Wii tried to do it but it failed.
>>
>>334618053
how crusty are your palms right now?
>>
File: 153614894962.jpg (68 KB, 472x502) Image search: [Google]
153614894962.jpg
68 KB, 472x502
>>334619328
A wagecuck's waifu is locked behind his imagination. The noble NEET exists in a level of reality above the typical wagecuck. And has the ability to interact with his imagination through a VR simulation.
>>
>>334619339
maybe they could be used with those steering wheel controllers if they were actually smart
>>
>>334606574
>>334606772
>>334607089
>>334607248
>>334607475
>>334607732
>>334607796
>>334608013
>>334608078
>>334608129
>>334608298

Why does this happen?
Why do people just go ape shit like this? Everything out now is shit sure, it's not worth it right now, but there's no way you can say it's not going to be part of the future of games/tv shows/movies/animation

Hell maybe it's not the best for games, but how can you be so butthurt that you have to post like 30 replies with memes and shit? wtf happened to this place?
>>
>>334620037
So, what company do you work for?
>>
>>334606574
Tbh the only reason I wanted a vr headset was to run around in world of warcraft in 3d. I already use nvidia 3d all the time but the vr headsets and probably better
>>
>>334620037
Its not going to be a part of the future of games or any of that shit. We've been down this road multiple times. VR starts getting big, it flops, it goes away for a while, then repeat
>>
File: 1454048247019.jpg (195 KB, 1599x664) Image search: [Google]
1454048247019.jpg
195 KB, 1599x664
>>334620037
>wtf happened to this place?
If VR looks like anything besides a gimmick to you, then you're retarded and don't belong here.

VR needs at least another 5-10 years before it'll even begin to be, "good."
>>
>>334620037
Again, see >>334618543 >>334619017

VR's tech restrictions aren't a restriction of technology of itself, it's a restriction of our own physical bodies in relation to the tech. Completely new tech has to be developed in order to broaden the use of VR in video games, and that won't be commercially available, much less feasible any time soon.

Will VR be viable in 10+ years? Maybe. Next 5 though? Nope. It will be a niche of a niche at best.
>>
>>334620126
Dildo cleaners LLC.
I literally said all the games out are shit. None of them are worth it. Need any dildos cleaned?
>>
>>334620457
>everything now is shit
>b-but it'll surely get better, right? Right?
>>
File: drake-hotline-explanation.jpg (36 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
drake-hotline-explanation.jpg
36 KB, 600x400
>>334620037
name one reason why vr is the future of video games
>>
>>334620575
Are you saying VR hasn't improved in the last 20 years or are you saying that there's no possible way the technology could get better?
>>
>>334620841
VR is a future for video games. Totally.

Just not a NEAR future. Give it like 15-20 years.
>>
>>334606574
people got scammed hard. anyone that expected vr to be anything but a replacement for your monitor are retards. vr is not a standalone new way to play video games, its just a new way to look at them.
>>
>>334620864
It only has improved graphically, but VR is inherently flawed, so no, it won't get any better.
>>
>>334620864
>Are you saying VR hasn't improved in the last 20 years
On a basic level? No. It has improved in terms of graphics, but graphics have always been improving on their own anyway. The user-end hardware is almost identical to what it was 20 years ago, it isn't even wireless yet.
>>
>>334620841
it's not and I said it wasn't.

That doesn't mean it's just some gimmick that can't get better. It's great for things besides games. Even plain google street view is cool to use on a headset.

Have you ever used any kind of headset? 3d 360 view is great when implemented properly, though there are pretty much no games that are worth it.
>>
>>334615067
>The technology is in the definition of infancy
lolno
>>
File: kick.png (280 KB, 750x810) Image search: [Google]
kick.png
280 KB, 750x810
>>334609832
>
They spent millions of dollars researching and Q.A. testing it, hoping to be able to make normal first person games adapt to it, and they failed both because VR games need their own specific control schemes
I bet their research would say that they need to add $300 for their poorly optimized horseshit to be profitable.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.