[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to make Nintendo appeal the mainstream audience as well as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11
File: giphy.gif (529 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
529 KB, 640x448
How to make Nintendo appeal the mainstream audience as well as hardcore gamers thread discusion.
>>
Nintendo has to do is stop making gimmicks for the most part. In detail they should get rid of motion controls, crappy dlc statues, stop marketing only to casual gamers, have at least decent hardware(so that way third party devas can port games easier), stop taking down YouTube videos, bring back some old ips ex: metroid and f zero, stop making unprepared launches ex: Wii u and 3ds, make a regular controller, stop making phone apps, make a better online service, continue making new IPS as well(BTW I know they are already doing this).
>>
Nintendo should stop making consoles and make their games available on PC/PS4.
Then they die, cause their games suck.
>>
You need GTA/COD/MADDEN/FIFA on your consoles to appeal to people
>>
Make another Gamecube, same-ish look but with powerful hardware and easily portable.
And get rid of motion controls.
>>
>>334601913
>Open World Pokeman
>NES and SNES All ported games Bundle
>Normal fucking Controllers
>Open World Sanic
>Open World Star Fax
>New Zelda
>New Kirby
>New IP's
>Stahp with the facking Mario
>rehash Ancient IP's that everyone forgot about then call it new
>1st world 3rd party application
>3rd part support
>>
Start new IP's. By this point if you're not already a fan of the games every year is like

>Oh look another Zelda
>Huh I guess they still make Mario games

There's not a lot inviting new people in, and I think they need to create new projects of they want to revitalize their company.
>>
>>334602673
>New Metroid that isn't garbage
>New IP's
>New Captain Falcon
>Just start dumping New Pokeman games out the Wazoo
>Pokeman Moba
>First person shooter IP
>New Mega Man
>etc.
>>
File: Nintendo versus Galoob.png (107 KB, 561x430) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo versus Galoob.png
107 KB, 561x430
>nintendo
>not having their heads up their ass
pick one.
>>
>>334601982
People should stop thinking giimmick = bad, most of the great games were based around gimmicks
>>
>>334601982
>>334602171
>>334602319
>>334602430
>>334602673
the only correct one here is the third post

the rest are fan fiction, bloodborne only sold 2,000,000 while Mario Maker and Splatoon sold about 4,000,000 worldwide with half the install base, suddenly having those titles WONT cause a shift in the market because EVERYONE already has a PS4 and Xbone, Nintendo's in a tough position between making "safe" IP's to capture most of the general demographic and or risking it with new IP's to attract new consumers, and out of the 5-7 new IP's introduced in the last 6 years only Splatoon was successful.

Nintendo needs to stick to its guns instead of trying to be another PS4-X1 because the general consumer (kids and adults) already relate videogames to those consoles and nintendo being an afterthought.

making the NX a portable-console hybrid where for example Super Mario Galaxy 3 works as a portable game with lesser grafix and full HD in the console is the sure fire way because the console market in general is dying thanks to the boom of mobile phones and the lower expenses of developing for a smarphone and in Nintendo's case the 3DS

but thats just my own unbiased (non manchild) opinion
>>
File: elevator lifts.webm (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
elevator lifts.webm
3 MB, 480x360
make a Mario game based around interesting and deep movement mechanics like SM64, and then add a time attack mode for individual stars/stages/categories. everybody wins.
>>
>>334603259
Super Mario Galaxy is objectively superior to Super Mario 64.
>>
>>334603174
But the point is that there were a lot more bad games based around the gimmicks which largely outweigh the games that used the gimmicks well which is the whole point of why Nintendo should stop making gimmicky controllers
>>
>>334603406
>Super Mario Galaxy is objectively superior to Super Mario 64.
It has an objectively lower skill ceiling. This thread is about appealing to the hardcore audience. Super Mario Galaxy only appeals to the casual/mainstream audience.
>>
>>334603406
Super Mario Galaxy movement is shit compared to 64's. Movement being the most important thing in a platformer, it makes it inferior.
>>
>>334603594
nigga what? both marios are casual do you think someone said wow mario galaxy is for casuals
>>
>>334603594
>>334603731

>Oh look another Mario game. Nintendo releases 3 a year

Sorry boys but that's not going to pull new people into Nintendo games
>>
File: VCwallkicks.webm (2 MB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
VCwallkicks.webm
2 MB, 540x360
>>334603731
word.
>>
>>334603594
>It has an objectively lower skill ceiling.
Seriously? Super Mario 64 is easy as fuck even compared to the Galaxy games. Yeah Super Mario 64 has more complex movement options, but that only matters for stuff like speedrunning, not playing the game normally. Also Super Mario 64 is hardcore? Give me a fucking break.
>>334603731
You mean level design, which Galaxy shits all over Mario 64 with.
>>
>>334603834
the point is that Super Mario 64 appeals to both a hardcore audience AND a casual audience simultaneously.

see:
>>334603259
>>334603863

Super Mario Galaxy has nothing like this. It ONLY appeals to casuals.
>>
>>334603174
There are gameplay gimmicks, and there are toy gimmicks that Nintendo put out because they apparently don't value the better margins of digital media.. especially not on other platforms, like PC, which would be really simple.

AKA, their best option is to get some sense.
>>
ASHLEY GAME
>>
>>334602673
Don't really agree with spamming pokemon because they've been doing this for a LONG time and it has made the series go downhill, I mean come on it isn't even about catching them all anymore and ever since Silver, Gold and Crystal that's all they have been doing is make more pokemon
>>
>>334603259
All those A presses
Disgusting
>>
They're trying too hard to innovate in terms of hardware. Just make a solid system and focus on innovative gameplay elements instead of making some crazy control method you want every game to use.
>>
>>334601913
- stop relying on the same 4 franchises
- stop rehashing and rereleasing the same shit
- spend more than $40 on hardware / produce a console capable of running third party games
- knock it the fuck off with wagglan and gimmicks
- knock it the fuck off with bullshit like locking on disc content behind childrens toys
>>
>>334603901
>that only matters for stuff like speedrunning
hence the hardcore audience, and the topic of this thread.
>>
>>334601913
Make quality games
The main stream audience isn't allergic to quality

The issue was never that they couldn't cater to both, the issue is that they can cater to the mainstream audience for practically free. Why would Nintendo cater to the hardcore audience when they can print money without risk of losing investment?
>>
>>334603406
Nah
>>
>>334603901
>You mean level design, which Galaxy shits all over Mario 64 with.
64's level design is also great and no, having great levels and shit movement is worse than great movement and shit levels
>>
>>334603223
The Wii U has some 8 games that have sold above 1.75M.

>muh 4M
Get that shit outta here.
>>
>>334601913
just make Melee again.
So many people, everybody in fact, liked Super Smash Bros Melee. It lent itself to learning and getting better at it, but it's still fun even with items or different stages or more than 2 players.

There wasn't anybody who actually played it and decided "this is too hardcore" for me or whatever. Casual/normal people enjoyed it on their level, the more dedicated players enjoyed it on their level, and neither level affected the other levels.
but then Brawl came and introduced tripping and the faggots took away depth, took away a whole slice of fun from the pie because "Everybody has to enjoy it the same way you faggots, stop having fun THE WRONG WAY"
>>
>>334604609
I feel this way about every Mario game after 64/Sunshine.
>>
>>334604609
And I'm not even saying Melee is "hardcore", it's just on a little higher level than regular smash bros. I'm not going to compare it to games like Street Fighter that are meant to be played competitively and people spend just as much time playing, but Street Fighter can't lend itself to party fun by turning on items or stages or having more than two people play at a time. If you put a dedicated player against a normal, the normal is always going to lose every single time in Street Fighter.
>>
>>334604704
Same its like miyamoto changed after the GC died
>>
>>334604016
>Super Mario Galaxy has nothing like this.

I doubt you can do either of those things shown in those TAS videos either. Why should they design a game for something nobody can actually do on the real hardware?
>>
>>334604934
those aren't TAS videos. every time i post those webms some retard who doesn't know what he's talking about claims they're TAS. i've seen people do this kind of thing in real life in front of me on n64 consoles. it's real, and people are this good.
>>
Make a hard mode in each new game. Ex.
Super Mario Sunshine: fludd last 3/4 as long as easy mode
Can only hold one nozzle at once
Tank fills only 3/4 as much as easy
Enemies move faster and are majorly aggressive
Levels change as well
MORE ENEMIES THAN NORMAL
Increased enemy durability
Some levels now have you with no fludd, besides the bonus levels.

That'd be good
>>
Make a whole new sub-division dedicated to making games and marketing games that are catered to the niche audience. These can be scrapped ideas put onto the Nintendo e-shop, and announced, and see how they gobble the prototype-like up. If they like it, it can be sent to main Nintendo to make a whole new game off of it with some optional casualization aspects to make it accessible while still making them optional. (Good example: Rabi-Ribi ASKS if you WANT to go to helper-mode, not FORCES you to. And you can turn that asking off too.)
>>
>>334603174
seriously, this. think about it. who would have ever thought that a bunch of nintendo characters on go-karts or even smash bros would have been anything more than a cheap gimmick, in retrospect?

they certainly seem like gimmicks but they are what they are because of the gameplay. there's also the fact that what nintendo puts out now is vastly improved to the first iterations of these games, it's just that people here cant tell because they're older and don't enjoy video games the way 12 year olds do (at least, i hope not)
>>
>>334601913
Remove gimmicks and make a proper online service similar to PSN/XBL.
They are already 2 console gens behind on that shit.
>>
File: Mr Smash and Bros.jpg (108 KB, 913x960) Image search: [Google]
Mr Smash and Bros.jpg
108 KB, 913x960
>>334604609
>It lent itself to learning and getting better at it,

No it didn't, the games mechancs where such that if you even attempted to get better at it by yourself you'd still be garbage.

The characters feel so quickly that it took a VERY long time to pull off the same things you can in Smash Bros 4 and Melee amplified any skill gap, if a player knew a technique you didn't and was slightly better than you you'd get your ass handed to you and juggled to death every single time which is frustrating for the loser and only fun for the winner.

Brawl and 4 atleast dampens the difference between skill levels so provided the gap isn't too big a player can atleast fight back and have more fun even if they don't win.
>>
>>334604609
Sakurai didn't meant to make Melee depth though. The depth was accidental.
>>
>>334603406
Personally I could never see where I was going on Mario galaxy whenever the levels got to spherical and so I kept getting pissed and I stopped playing it and I haven't played it since
>>
>>334604476
>having great levels and shit movement is worse than great movement and shit levels
The former sounds better for me.
>>
File: wah.jpg (37 KB, 285x144) Image search: [Google]
wah.jpg
37 KB, 285x144
Multiplats. Take a look at this list: http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/14/2015-npd-the-10-best-selling-games-of-the-year/

Every single one of these games was released as a multi platform game and not one of them was released on the Wii U. You have 3 yearly shooters, 3 yearly sports games, 3 guaranteed-to-sell popular franchises, and MKX for some reason. This is what "the mainstream" wants, and Nintendo aren't offering them a single thing.
>>
>>334601913
They need to make a challenging mario platformer, they are way too fucking easy. Not a "hey we threw one tough level in the entire game" mario game.
Any new metroid at this point even that federation force is starting to look appealing just because there is literally nothing else.
>>
>>334606495
Challenging Mario game won't get people to buy systems.
>>
>>334607109
I'd absolutely buy a console for a challenging Mario game.
>>
File: image.png (643 KB, 780x960) Image search: [Google]
image.png
643 KB, 780x960
Despite contrary belief Nintendo doesn't actually have a problem with attracting hardcore.

They do get attracted to some of their games and exclusives

The problem is that the majority focuses on Third Party, which Nintendo almost never has outside exclusives since the N64
>>
>>334607109
I don't care about that, though, being a selfish person I only care about myself. I want there to be a challenging mario game.
>>
>>334607109
I would buy one for it, yeah
>>
>>334607205

3D World's post game is really fucking challenging

The difficulty in general picks up noticable after world 3
>>
>>334606495
>>334607205
>>334607259
>>334607317

New Super Luigi U exists

Super Mario 3D World exists
>>
>>334601913
adding a hard mode (that you dont need to unlock) to games like zelda would be a good place to start. I dont mean shit like "hero mode" either.
>>
File: 1447368041461.png (143 KB, 266x318) Image search: [Google]
1447368041461.png
143 KB, 266x318
>>334607461
>Super Mario 3D World
>challenging
>>
>>334607461
You are joking about 3D World right?
It is by far the easiest game in the series. You are right about Luigi U, though. It was a tough and fun game. Too bad it only lasts for about 2-3 hours if you aren't going for the dragon coins.
>>
>>334603223
Nintendo introduces new IPs all the time, the problem is it's small minor things like dillons rolling western or things that dont get advertised like sakura samurai, or both
>>
File: 1453477040027.jpg (31 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1453477040027.jpg
31 KB, 500x333
>hardcore gamers
>>
File: 1455319348237.png (83 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1455319348237.png
83 KB, 600x600
Where's my Ashley game, Nintendo?
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.