[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think a system like this would be satisfying/interesting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: exp.png (41 KB, 1725x596) Image search: [Google]
exp.png
41 KB, 1725x596
Do you think a system like this would be satisfying/interesting?
>>
thanks for sharing anon, implemented your great idea in my new rpg maker game that I'm gonna sell for mad dosh
>>
>>334600807
I dont care too much for your two other points, but introducing a mechanic every milestone is something more games need to do.
>>
>>334601752
I think Path of Exile got away with having linear levelling since you could unlock major keystones in your skill tree that could completely change the way you play the game.
>>
>>334600807
>this makes you more eager to unlock tenners
Where is the logical reason behind that claim?
>>
That's basically what happens in Tree of Savior, but the level milestones are actually estimations about when you're supposed to make your class evolve.
>>
>>334603029
Well if you play a mage class for instance and at your level 10 you get to choose between a pyromancer/necromancer/illusionist and get new cool spells, I know I'd really be eager to unlock new talents/improve my normal ones.
>>
>>334603220
now your just sounding like you try to make an mmo and everybody knows that the longer everything takes the better for business
>>
>>334601752

What if a game had like a skill tree but with only like twenty or so gigantic bonuses on it instead of hundreds of pointless minor upgrades? Maybe it could have a level cap of 30 with you only gaining levels every five levels (besides the first five maybe to encourage trying to set yourself up from the onset instead of a more long term goal)
>>
>>334600807
Only on one condition. When new mechanics are added no old mechanics are lost or mitigated. Its annoying as fuck to see shit used all the time early game then just fucking disappear later.
>>
>>334603610
Could be a single player rpg too. I enjoy having power spikes rather than a boring linear progression.
>>
File: impressed.jpg (49 KB, 634x422) Image search: [Google]
impressed.jpg
49 KB, 634x422
>>334603639
>New spells/passives massively improve early spells
>>
>>334600807
seems pretty good. that's already more gameplay change-up than most RPG's offer
>>
>>334600807
What would be even more satisfying and interesting would be a Game that scales based purely on Skill and eliminating Levels entirely.
>>
>>334603940
Only works for a few genres, unfortunately. RPGs are bound to levels but MMO space games rely nearly exclusively on player skill at piloting (things like ED and Star Citizen, not EVE)
>>
File: RVYMlmE[1].jpg (116 KB, 1697x799) Image search: [Google]
RVYMlmE[1].jpg
116 KB, 1697x799
It's fucking retarded. Spend days grinding in one location for curve reset and then suddenly get several levels off the same mobs before they fall too much out of range.
>>
>>334604359
Doesn't have to be that stupidly extreme, OP didn't want it to reset completely either.

What if lvl 10-11 was 75% of what it took to go from 9 to 10?
>>
>>334603686
If you hate linear progression so much then just make linear progression with power spikes. Instead of changing the exp around, you just gain more skills the longer it takes to level up.

At least that sounds easier to balance with enemies and stuff.
>>
>>334600807
I like it. Makes it feel more like early game levelling which is usually much more fun than grinding months for a single level.
>>
Does anyone else love games where it takes just about the same amount of time to get each level, but the impact of leveling gets smaller as you go on?
>>
There's literally no reason to change experience progression, if you want to add cool features,gameplay mechanics or specializations at every 10 levels you can do that with linear leveling too.

Besides, "leveling up" once isn't such a big thing in games where levels go past 50, players will automatically segment their experience growth into tens or other increments. No one ever went "oh man, if I had ONE single more level these monsters wouldn't trash the shit out of me, I should come back here later on", but they will say "yeah i should come here ten levels later". (In games where levels get this big, for D&D types where maximum level is 20 and each one brings a lot of new things to the player's arsenal it's a different thing)
>>
>>334600807
Tree of Savior does exactly this
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.