[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there so many X-Men characters? This is more egregious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: mvc2-cast-622.png (435 KB, 622x320) Image search: [Google]
mvc2-cast-622.png
435 KB, 622x320
Why are there so many X-Men characters?

This is more egregious than Sakurai and Fire Emblem.
>>
X-Men were huge in the 90s
>>
>>334587561
I'm aware but they make up half the Marvel roster
>>
>>334588374
...because they were the most recognizable marvel characters. You say you're aware, but are you really?
>>
>>334587497
Because before MvC there were a bunch of smaller fighting games made using the Marvel license by Capcom. They originally started off with just SF vs. X-men and it evolved over time to include more characters extending beyond those franchises. In short, MvC2 has that many SF and X-men characters because they just recycled the assets and sprites, which is why some of them look weird as shit like Black Heart.
>>
>we will never get a marvel vs capcom 4
>>
>>334588569
Did your average person at the time know who Marrow was?

It seems like it would have worked better to include a wider range from more franchises. Spider-Man wasn't unpopular and the whole franchise had only two characters. I can kind of understand franchises like FF getting one, though.

>>334588632
That never dawned on me until recently, I thought that might be the reason why.
>>
>>334588781
good
give me marvel super heroes 2 dammit
>>
>>334588781
What does Disney have against MvC?

They have no problem with KH.
>>
>>334589082
I think it's more marvel, who doesn't really care about console gaming at all (aside from marvel heroes, which I hear is sufficiently good).
>>
>>334588781
They could still do a similar game with all Capcom characters if they really wanted to.
>>
>>334588785
Marvel wasn't really doing well in the 90s, and even went Bankrupt in 96. X-men were their bread and butter though, so we got Children of the Atom and X-Men vs. Street Fighter, which bloated the roster. Their other properties weren't doing so how, but in regards to Spider-Man, who was still popular then, I guess since he was just a solo guy all they really thought was appropriate was him and Venom.

But regarding picks like Marrow Capcom evidently had some leeway regarding choosing some of Marvel characters, so they may have wanted to add in Marrow because they thought her powers were interesting. Alternatively, Marrow was being pushed at the time in the X-Books, so Marvel may have thought she could have become popular.
>>
>>334587497
Because original game - the one that let you play 2v2 - was called X-Men vs Street Fighter. So they had some sprites that could be reused. Plus, less time to design.
>>
>>334588785
>Did your average person at the time know who Marrow was?
Characters like Marrow and Cable have always been part of a push, their inclusion is meant to bolster their popularity.

In fact there are very few characters who are popular in of themselves without exposure through cameos and appearances in other things.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.