[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the objectively best game or games? pic related >really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: Star_Fox_64_cover.jpg (199 KB, 700x485) Image search: [Google]
Star_Fox_64_cover.jpg
199 KB, 700x485
what is the objectively best game or games?

pic related
>really short so can be enjoyed super casually
>ridiculous replay value in such a short condensed game
>perfect length, doesn't "slow down"
>wide range of difficulty if you take all the alternate paths
>don't need any guidance except maybe how to see how to get to path X
>>
>>334569619

what the fuck is a rumble pack?
>>
File: 1320969393387.jpg (21 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1320969393387.jpg
21 KB, 200x150
>>334569696
I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't b8 to be honest
>>
>>334569696
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Eu6cJXpmME
>>
I just replayed this on my 3DS after having owned it for years and never touching it.

Went through all my routes, did all the things I wanted to do, relived all my moments, and only clocked in like 7 hours.

Not even mad. It was a great remake. Knowing what to do kind of ruined some of the fun though.

Hate to say that I might have been more motivated to do better in the game if there were rankings for missions instead of just a score.

FUCK THE SEARCHLIGHTS HOLY SHIT
>>
File: 1453440255120.png (447 KB, 750x810) Image search: [Google]
1453440255120.png
447 KB, 750x810
Anon what the fuck is this bait

Are you new to videogames or something? Do you really think you can quantify a "best game" or if something as shallow (though still fantastic mind you) as Starfox 64 can be up there with the best of the best?
>>
So the perfect game to you is a short easy game?
>>
>>334569941
>>334569963
ya, its called good design
>>
>>334569804
You didn't tell them about... the RUMBLE PAK did you?

No, BOB. You just did!
>>
>>334570051
>Shallow and simple anything
>Good design

>Good design being the only measure for what a good game is.
>Forgetting art, sound, and game direction
>Forgetting art, sound, and game quality.
>Forgetting art, sound, and game companionship.
>Forgetting depth and complexity.
>Forgetting skill ceiling and floors.
>Simply forgetting everything that makes a good game a good game.

I fell for such great bait.
>>
>>334569804

The rumble pack seems like a stupid gimmick
>>
>>334570375
But every controller now has rumble. It may be a gimmick but it's a massively popular one and it all started with that stupid accessory that was way too big and weighed more than the rest of the controller
>>
>>334570346
thats weird I thought the only people here were spergs who only cared about gameplay and not other shit

ya, if you can have a simple game that is accessible to everyone and doesn't feel too challenging, and then gets harder if you turn up the difficulty (alternate paths) and still doesn't feel like it has shallow gameplay, that is objectively better than any other high skill ceiling huge depth model your game might havfe
>>
File: trash.webm (84 KB, 583x378) Image search: [Google]
trash.webm
84 KB, 583x378
>>334570674
>If you have mass appeal it is the best.
Anon the point of high art is that it challenges you, and the majority often fail, because the world is filled with losers.

Videogames that appeal to literally anyone aren't the best, in fact, they're far from it. They're mediocre. It's so easy to appeal to everyone's sense of right or everyone's emotions. You can make everything silent and then BOO jumpscare and 99% of people would be startled by it. The majority of people were scared by the jumpscares in the new "Jungle Book" movie.

That's easy for a creator to do.

Something that is top-tier is something that appeals to a niche. That's why the best of the best can't be quantified in art, because there are several niche's that are appealed to differently.

NieR is one of the most depressing games ever, SF Third Strike is one of the greatest fighting games ever. Two completely different games that are still the top of their game. That's because they have direction and don't try to appeal to everyone, just their specific niche.
>>
>>334570858
For further example from a different medium, check out this song and give your opinion on it:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0X6QhEPJ4U7
>>
>>334569619
>Doesn't slow down

I don't know, that underwater level is slow as fuck and definitely the worst one. No idea why its on the hard route, its almost impossible to die and only has one ending so you just coast through it spamming buttons.

Still a great game though.
>>
>>334570858
>can't look at a game and tell whether or not it adheres to game design principles better than *other game*

whew
>>
>>334571131
Videogames are a medium that are so diverse that even if you were to judge a game by how fun it is you could still find two completely different games fun.

In addition to that, you can not objectively compare NieR and Third Strike's gameplay as they are completely different genre's and unlike any other medium, that actually means something. They have completely different gameplay, completely different direction, and one is competitive driven while the other is narrative driven.
>>
File: 1457609323246s.jpg (2 KB, 124x89) Image search: [Google]
1457609323246s.jpg
2 KB, 124x89
>>334571250
that's why I wouldn't say nier is a better fighting game than streetfighter g unit
>>
>>334571617
Yeah, exactly.

Which is why you can't quantify a "best game"
>>
>>334569696
shit son, are you even allowed to be here?
>>
>>334569804
How'd Nintendo get away with this commercial?
>>
>>334571807
Ya I could even if I dont like fighting games as much I can still tell if its a quality game and I might love objectivley shit games too
>>
>>334573082
Nice counter"argument"

Seriously, what the fuck was the point of even replying to me? Fuck you for wasting my time.
>>
>>334573362
My point is you dont think there is a difference between personal taste and objectivity which is wht you dont think one game can be objectivley better than one that is different enough
>>
>>334573895
There is definitely a huge difference but you can't objectively say apples or oranges are better than the other.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.