[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why hasn't there been a 3D Yoshi Island platformer yet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8
Why hasn't there been a 3D Yoshi Island platformer yet?
>>
>>334550191
Because 3d platformers are worse than hitler.
>>
Considering Yoshi's gimmick in that series the aiming would be all sorts of fucked up.

Plus, I think keeping it 2D would benefit it more
>>
File: Croc is a MEAT EATER.jpg (161 KB, 582x782) Image search: [Google]
Croc is a MEAT EATER.jpg
161 KB, 582x782
>>
huh... why HASN'T there been a 3d yoshi's island yet?
>>
>>334552083
OK, I get mario, but whose shoes and whose guns???
>>
>>334553398
Lara Croft and Crash Bandicoot
>>
>>334553398
Crash and Lara's pistols
>>
>>334550795
I fought in both the Pacific and European theaters in WW2 and I can say without hyperbole that your opinions are worse than Hitlers.
>>
Because 3D platformers are awful and Yoshi's Island games are awful.
>>
>>334550191
is that Chomp after his egg? I wonder what would be inside if he cracked it open with his teeth
>>
>>334550191
3D Mario titles suck.

They haven't managed a good followup to Yoshi's Island yet, to show they understand what made the game good.
>>
File: Woolly World.jpg (225 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
Woolly World.jpg
225 KB, 1200x600
>>334554185
>They haven't managed a good followup to Yoshi's Island yet, to show they understand what made the game good.

Yoshi's Woolly World is probably the best Yoshi game since then though finally. Even if Yoshi's Island is still better then it, it's finally a respectable sequel, and a good sequel to Kirby's Epic Yarn as well.
>>
>>334554467
Yeah, I meant to say that but I guess I forgot to do so. Woolly World was good and a lot of fun, but didn't quite catch what made Yoshi's Island good. It was light on challenge and, more importantly, the levels were fairly linear rather than the more open, explory levels in Yoshi's Island.
>>
There aren't enough gays in the world to support another yoshi game
>>
>>334552083
It's funny cause it started as a 3D Yoshi game on Super Nintendo
>>
Best 3d platformer

Fight me
>>
File: Mischief_Makers.jpg (28 KB, 376x265) Image search: [Google]
Mischief_Makers.jpg
28 KB, 376x265
>>334563850
shake shake mother fucker
>>
File: king.jpg (26 KB, 529x399) Image search: [Google]
king.jpg
26 KB, 529x399
>>334563850
>Playing meme games
>>
File: 1441221390376.jpg (109 KB, 418x455) Image search: [Google]
1441221390376.jpg
109 KB, 418x455
>>334563850
>>334564018
>>
>>334563850
game is hard as fuck

but yeah really nice fresh ideas and physic play with the balls
>>
>>334552083
And the game turned out shit.
Croc was a trash 3D platformer, if you really want to like a really good obscure 3D platformer without being a contrarian, pick up Chameleon Twist 2
>>
>>334552083
>Move over Mario
I don't get it when I see this in 90's vidya ads, did they seriously think they would dethrone 90's Nintendo as king of game companies?
>>
>>334550795
I want to strangle you

>>334550191
This is something I've been thinking about a bit.

There's a small push for a return to 3D platforming by some amateur developers, and there appears to be some real demand for it, but the examples coming out now are largely Banjo and Mario 64 clones. Poor ones at that. Nintendo could jump on that easily, but they've been too spineless.

The other problem is the difficulty in designing a 3D Yoshi. YI had a very specific control system and set of mechanics, namely egg shooting, and that could be difficult to translate to 3D without resorting to basic 3rd-person shooter controls or while maintaining the fluidity of platforming while shooting. Kirby's another series that has mechanics that don't carry into 3D very naturally, but there's a minigame in Robobot that looks like a basic proof-of-concept to properly translate Kirby's sucking ability. I figure if that goes anywhere, and we get a proper 3D Kirby, that could pave the way or at least give us a concrete idea for 3D Yoshi.
>>
>>334550191
Because Nintendo would let Arzest develop the game and we'd get another fuck up like Yoshi's New Island.

Just be happy with the original game and move on.
>>
File: 3DKirby.png (1 MB, 1001x548) Image search: [Google]
3DKirby.png
1 MB, 1001x548
>>334565954
Here's 3D Kirby footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF1AoM1sNwg
>>
>>334565954
well, splatoon is a third person shooter with great controls and the story mode has some platforming
>>
>>334567924
This isn't the best example for what the average player might look for, but this video is a good example of all the shit you can do in Yoshi's Island. Keep in mind that the later sequels were criticized because they didn't operate at this level of depth or complexity.
https://youtu.be/41e7yy4FE5I

Splatoon has shooting and platforming, but I don't think it's designed to be as fast paced as a proper Yoshi game. Maybe Yoshi couldn't ever work in 3D the way it does in 2D, but I think that kind of pacing and movement should be highly prioritized when making the attempt.
>>
>>334566948

It's just a gimmick challenge mode though, not a platformer.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.