[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone know of videos or a blog articles or anything dissecting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: header.jpg?t=1447361145.jpg (115 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg?t=1447361145.jpg
115 KB, 460x215
Does anyone know of videos or a blog articles or anything dissecting and detailing all of FFXIII's story flaws? Like the popular ones about Fallout 3 or Bioshock Infinite?
Hell, even some /v/ screencaps would be good, I'm starting to forget the details about why it sucked.
>>
Just make your own opinions instead of regurgitating what you see on /v/ or what some faggot with a mic on Youtube says.
>>
>>334518093
I already did fag, but it's been years and I need to freshen up my memory
And those things, when decently put together, always make me discover or reconsider flaws I didn't notice, that's it. Don't project this much
>>
>>334517925
>Does anyone know of videos or a blog articles or anything dissecting and detailing all of FFXIII's story flaws?
I think FFXIII does a good enough job of detailing that on its own.
>>
>>334518428
Too lazy to read the datalogs.
>>
>>334517925
Why don't you just find out for yourself?
>>
>>334518654
the datalogs are part of the problem, they stuff a lot of fucking informations there instead of integrating in the main story. Codex a la Mass Effect are supposed to enhance the world, not replace it

>>334518698
as I said >>334518319
>>
why do you care so much neckbeard
>>
>>334518832
>as I said
You can just play the game again, you know?
>>
>>334518920
why would I slog through an entire shitshow again just to check some particularly shit parts I forgot about?
>>
Story is okay, it's the character motivation that is completely incomprehensible.
>>
>Please tell me what to think
>>
well for starters it took me hours to ingrain the difference between l'cie, fal'cie, pulse l'cie etc.
>>
File: photo.jpg (38 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
38 KB, 900x900
>>334519056
stop memeing me
>>334518319
>>
>>334519012
I dunno, why are you so concerned about said shit parts to begin with?
>>
Why would you try to remember something like that again? It's 20 hours of hallways, tutorials, timed battles against summons and the worst birthday ever.
>>
>>334519012
exactly, why are you doing any of this
If you hate something forget about it stop being a stupid bitchy virgin
>>
File: photo.jpg (31 KB, 879x427) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
31 KB, 879x427
>>334519270
concerned enough to read an article or keep a video as background noise or watch it while sipping tea
not concerned enough to replay an entire game again
it's not hard

why are YOU so concerned about why I'm concerned
>>
>>334518832
I don't remember any information in the logs that wasn't integrated into the story at some point.

They do throw out some terms much earlier than when they explain them but there weren't any that actually required you to dig through the datalogs.
>>
>>334519598
do you have PTSD from XIII or something
it's not that bad
>>
Basically no, there is no good one OP.

Also, you fucked up with your image. You were guranteed to attract only armpit sniffing subhumans who will either tell you to play it yourself, ask you why you care so much if you aren't willing to play it, and in the most extreme case actually defend the game itself.

Also, just about any story told that includes timefuckery is bound to have gaping plotholes when you consider the grandfather paradox, or that the multiverse is just theoretical.
>>
File: 1419598065211.png (173 KB, 500x279) Image search: [Google]
1419598065211.png
173 KB, 500x279
Marzgurl did a pretty good dissecting of FF13. Most of what she said in her vids. reflect how I felt about the game.
>>
>>334517925
>trying to find flaws in one of the best vidya narrative from last gen
Bruh
>>
>>334519547
>If you hate something just forget about it.

Good advice. Now tell that to the rest of /v/. Then we'll have no more threads about AAA games at all. Or any threads about anything possibly.
>>
>>334517925

I want to marry Lightning!
>>
>>334518832

I like that. FFXIII was one of the only RPGs in history that was believable because you weren't playing as a character who was a total fucking idiot who didn't know anything and had everything explained to them. These people have lived there their entire lives, so concepts like l'Cie and Fal'cie would have been everyday norms. Why would they stop to explain it?
>>
>>334517925
Bro. The story sucked because it wasn't even told. It was read.
>>
>>334520315
This
>phone call
>character repeats what the other person says so the audience knows too
>letters
>character reads them out loud
>unknown term gets introduced
>character explains it again as if to ask for confirmation so the audience will know
That shit's weird
>>
>>334519784
fuck you're rigth about the image
FFXIII-1 didn't have timefuckery yet, or am I remembering so much wrong?
>>334519935
I think I remember her, thanks for the heads-up, will check
>>334520315
I don't talk about spoonfeeding the audience with infodumps, in that case you would be right, but the worldbuilding in general
>story assumes you give a shit about cocoon if you want to save it (or destroy it, Snow flips a coin every cutscene)
>shows nothing about life in cocoon, or why it deserves to be saved since the only way you interact with it is shooty shooty with soldiers who want you dead
>instead fills the codex with bullshit about shape the fal'cie that gives cocoon food's shit is
>>
>>334520295
Toriyama pls leave.
>>
>>334521043
Except
>Snow was always insistent on saving Coccoon
>they showed Bodhum, also, this applies to most game
>codex expands lore
It really does feel like the haters are just ignorant of the story
>>
>>334521701
Not much Snow himself, but rather what they felt Serah's focus was.
From when the party groups up until when they finally decide to save it (I think it was at Bahamut?) they change idea every time
They showed Bodhum, they didn't let you intract with it as it was just another corridor to funnely you to the next mecha boss or cutscene
>using "hater" unironically
>>
I never had any problem with l'Cie, fal'Cie, etc. That shit was easy enough to grasp after the opening level. The datalogs weren't necessary at all to understand the story either, and were basically either summaries or background information.

Actual problems with the story:
>poorly paced in general (opening is too long, many chapters are pointless filler and don't advance the larger story, Pulse opens up the game world but the plot pretty much grinds to a halt until Oerba, the ending is just pure nonsense)
>too much focus on the main party and their character drama, not enough on the world itself
>party has no clear central motivation for anything they're doing, they're just running around making things up as they go, they may have individual motivations (Cocoon, Dajh, Serah) but this is ultimately background information and doesn't actually explain their actions as they happen in-game
>even though one of the game's themes is free will, the party is being manipulated the entire time, even in the ending
>underdeveloped side characters
>weak antagonist, very little presence in most of the story, basically exists to cackle at the party and reveal all his plans, which the main characters will follow anyways because they're retarded (though he has some great boss fights)
>there's no clear main protagonist, Lightning may be on the cover but she is basically irrelevant end-game, besides a cheesy speech here and there
>Serah has no personality and there's very little reason to care about her, despite her being central to Snow's and Lightning's backstories (she's better in XIII-2 though)
>Jihl Nabaat is the only character who resembles an effective villain, but she gets killed off by space pope before you can fight her, no boss fight allowed, the player essentially gets cucked out of a good resolution to one of the only good plots of the game (the Sazh plot)
>the themes are not subtle at all and are basically force fed to the player

I could go on but character limit.
>>
>>334522782
But that's the whole point. The entire thing character driven. The characters themselves need to grow individually before they could master the Eidolon, which was the whole goal of the villain.
>>
>>334524768

The Eidolons don't matter at all to the main plot, where did you get that from?

The main goal of Barthandelus the space pope was to have the party destroy Orphan so Cocoon would fall and crash into Pulse, killing a huge amount of people, which would wake up the fal'Cie's "creator" (Bhunivelze). The easiest way to do that was to make the party stronger, and to have one of them turn into Ragnarok. There's nothing in the game (to my knowledge) that indicates that Barthandelus specifically orchestrated their "character growth", I doubt he gave a single fuck about any of that, except to occasionally troll the party.
>>
>>334517925
The story of the first game isn't bad, it's told poorly through codex entries.
Couple this with extremely linear game play that tends to lend itself to better story telling and you can see why people were upset.
2 was good aside from lightning becoming god. That was stupid, and 3/LR is fanfiction tier story but the game play makes up for it.
>>
Spoony's review is exactly what you're looking for.
>>
>>334520295
Part reason why this game was so laughably bad, it catered to losers like this guy.
>>
>>334527192
>The Spoony "I was born without suspension of disbelief" One
Why would you recommend 20 minutes rants about how Snow's weapon doesn't make sense
>>
>>334527545

I gave up when he spent like five minutes ranting about how items were held in floating spheres placed by nobody in particular. Even though the fucking floating spheres are the least of the games problems.
>>
>>334527192

He's too autistically focused on the tiny details that don't matter. All games are contrived to some extent. You can forgive all kinds of bullshit if the big picture works. In FFXIII's case it doesn't, which is what he should actually be focusing on.
>>
>>334527545
>>334527971
The nitpicking is for comedy's sake, which he admits in the series, like in Plinkett's Star Wars reviews. At the end of the day the problem is the story and characters are not compelling.
>>
Final Fantasy 13's atmosphere and soundtrack make up for its mediocrity, for me. Best soundtrack in the series, next to FF13-2.
>>
>>334526071
They had to be strong enough to become Ragnarok in the first place, bruh, which meant growing as a l'cie, which meant taming their Eidolons.
>>
(There isn't a thorough dissection anywhere. Sorry, OP.)

Fuck it. If you're going to put every youtube review here, that sort of answer OP, you could at least have the decency to put up the best one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnRjPwwP1tU

>>334528780

Define what that atmosphere is. I'm curious. It's the only one in the series I consider incomprehensible. For instance VIII would be psychological.
>>
>>334529983

And somehow I copied the wrong url.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sY42F-VjVQ
>>
>>334529983
nice review, repeats itself too often though
>>
Spooky had a good video about how shit ff13 is
>>
>>334529740

Again, there's nothing in the game to indicate that was specifically Barthandelus' goal, and that he orchestrated the party's character growth to that end. Getting stronger can just be the basic grind that you do in any JRPG. They get all those crystarium points, they hold X to make the line move and the circles light up, and they get some stats and abilities. Barthandelus fights them specifically to test if they're strong enough, you don't even have to use Eidolons in those fights, and at no point are they brought up.

The whole point is, I'm not opposed to character growth by any means, but FFXIII made it such a high priority that the game suffered for it. There has to be a balance. And it's better when the character's plot ties into the setting and main plot. Hope being mad at Snow for getting his mom killed really has nothing to do with anything that's going on, Lightning regretting how she treated Serah has nothing to do with what's going on, etc. It's just pointless filler. Filler that the game spends a ridiculous amount of time on, that would've been better spent on worldbuilding, fleshing out the side characters, giving the party a stronger motivation for what they're doing, etc.
>>
Hallway.
>>
>>334517925

There was a vid a while back can't find it.

Stop being a ninny, op.
>>
>>334531253
The Eidolons are a sign of a l'cie's power, bruh. They had to unlock them before Barthandelus could even think about using them for his plan. Notice the white bird after all the scenes with the Eidolons.
>>
>>334535043

It was an owl.
>>
>>334522782
>>even though one of the game's themes is free will, the party is being manipulated the entire time, even in the ending
How is this a problem? Even if free will is a theme, that doesn't mean it can't be portrayed as folly or failed. The whole fucking saga is about breaking free from the gods. Everyone is being manipulated, all the time. It fits perfectly. The theme, to put it more simply for you, is not free will, but lack of it.
>>
>>334538010
I agree, hence the song "Fighting Fate ".
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.