[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Video Games As A $21 billion dollar Industry::
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 13
Why do none of you want to work in the video game industry?

You don't have to make an indie game. You can just bust your way into a studio like Naughty Dog, EA, Activision, Rockstar, etc. same with film.

https://consumerist.com/2014/06/09/its-time-to-start-treating-video-game-industry-like-the-21-billion-business-it-is/
>>
Because vdeogames are shit.
>>
Because I work in the multi trillion $ nuclear power industry. Games are an escape not a job.
>>
>>334489214
then why do you browse this board?
>>
Video game industry practices are similar to those of other entertainment industries (e.g., the music recording industry), but the video game industry in particular has been accused of treating its development talent poorly. This promotes independent development, as developers leave to form new companies and projects. In some notable cases, these new companies grow large and impersonal, having adopted the business practices of their forebears, and ultimately perpetuate the cycle.

However, unlike the music industry, where modern technology has allowed a fully professional product to be created extremely inexpensively by an independent musician, modern games require increasing amounts of manpower and equipment. This dynamic makes publishers, who fund the developers, much more important than in the music industry.
>>
>>334489316
Masochism
>>
>>334488973
Notoriously horrible working conditions (i.e. CRUNCH) and not a stable career.
>>
>>334489310
are you on the business side?

because if not, the worker side doesn't make that much due to saturation. since less people are in the video game industry, the distribution of wealth is larger.
>>
>>334488973
Because i like videogames and i hate listening to videogamer
Its pretty hard as a dev
>>
>>334489909
why do you care about stability? don't you want to take risks with your life? be something?

you could eventually work up to the publisher chair.
>>
>>334489972
Nah, engineering. Here in the UK at least it's one of the better paying jobs and extremely stable. Only law and medicine earns more.
>>
>>334489972
>the distribution of wealth is larger.
lol no. Given the expertise, skill level, hours and shitty conditions required, workers are massively underpaid in the games industry.
>>
>>334490082
There are industries with better career paths that don't put all the risk onto the employee.

The games industry is by far the shittiest part of the shitty IT industry.
>>
>>334489972
>since less people are in the video game industry

Kek. No. Video Game developers are overworked due to budget, time restraint, and have little job insecurity.
>>
I hate video games.
Seems like the perfect job.
>>
>>334488973
I odnt want to work with a side shaved pink haired bitch who sits at deesk and "thinks" what might be right for a game rather and change my ideas and concept, thats why
>>
>>334488973
Does this include Twitch and other game streaming sites?
>>
>>334488973
Too many hours, too little pay. Unless you hit management positions by 30 it's totally pointless.
>>
>>334490346
But don't you want to make something and work in an industry you care about?

Why do you want to coast your way through life? Don't you want to live on the edge and possibly have the chance to be a Kojima and be remembered?
>>
>>334488973

lol no, the consumers are the worse.

any other industry is better.
>>
>>334488973
working for someone like EA in any kind of creative position sounds like some kind of psychological hellscape. Honestly seems like one of the most boring and least rewarding jobs
>>
>>334490731
>the consumers are the worse.
how? are you not a consumer?
>>
>>334490787
What about Rockstar?
>>
On various Internet forums, some gamers have expressed disapproval of publishers having creative control since publishers are more apt to follow short-term market trends rather than invest in risky but potentially lucrative ideas. On the other hand, publishers may know better than developers what consumers want. The relationship between video game developers and publishers parallels the relationship between recording artists and record labels in many ways. But unlike the music industry, which has seen flat or declining sales in the early 2000s, the video game industry continues to grow. Also, personal computers have made the independent development of music almost effortless, while the gap between an independent game developer and the product of a fully financed one grows larger.

In the computer games industry, it is easier to create a startup, resulting in many successful companies. The console games industry is a more closed one, and a game developer must have up to three licenses from the console manufacturer:

A license to develop games for the console
The publisher must have a license to publish games for the console
A separate license for each game

In addition, the developer must usually buy development systems from the console manufacturer in order to even develop a game for consideration, as well as obtain concept approval for the game from the console manufacturer. Therefore, the developer normally has to have a publishing deal in place before starting development on a game project, but in order to secure a publishing deal, the developer must have a track record of console development, something which few startups will have.
>>
>>334490879
lol, Rockstar North is notorious for being one of the worst places to work in the industry.
>>
>>334490879
I do programming for a living. Making video games isn't as glamorous as it sounds. They probably do what I do everyday which is code all day. Except I am paid more and have job security.
>>
>>334489389
>extremely inexpensively
I don't know what blog you copied this from, but speaking as a composer, it's not cheap.
>>
>>334491036
What about Valve? Sony? Microsoft?
>>
EA is also infamous for a sweatshop corporate culture, the only exception being for LGBT since EA is probably terrified "Brianna" will lodge a 7-figure lawsuit against them if you oppress xer, somehow.
>>
I'm an ideas guy but nobody wants to hire me!
>>
>>334491540

i will hire you!
from now on, you will work for me for no pay and no credit.
Isn't it a great deal?
>>
I'm in business and would love to work on the finance side of vidya. Actually gonna apply after a few years in banking
>>
>>334491236
You don't understand that the videogame industry is fucking terrible. It's tough to get in, it has no job security and it has terrible working practices.
>>
>>334491719

As long as Dickgirl Max Payne: Boob physics and duck physics on the same character in slowmo! gets made I don't care about the money
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw
>>
>>334491746
This is what I'm talking about. You don't even have to be a developer. You can be apart of the publishers handling deals.

That sounds cooler than this guy >>334489310
>>
>>334488973
And make shitty soulless games? If I want to make money there's much better ways. I'd want to make video games that I would like. Not awful AAA garbage.
>>
Only 1% of indie developers make anything. The rest are making a Mcdonalds salary. If you think you can just get into a talented studio like Insomniac or Bungie it won't happen unless you're the 1%.
>>
>>334488973
The size of the industry doesn't imply the value of simply working in it. The semiconductor industry is a 400 billion dollar industry, yet I don't want to be a worker at foxconn.
>>
File: 1453690258687.jpg (29 KB, 457x381) Image search: [Google]
1453690258687.jpg
29 KB, 457x381
>>334488973
>2014
>>
>>334488973
Way too much competition right now. Not worth fighting just to make $50,000 working 70 hours a week.
>>
>>334492150
Uhh, Foxconn doesn't do semiconductors do they? Fabs are a different industry.
>>
>mobile market almost the same worth as pc

Holy fuck pc games. Maybe stop pirating games for once in your lives.
>>
>>334490730
Kojima is a literal who outside video game enthusiasts. Video game development will always be the burger flipping of the software development world. Publishers are really the only ones making money. Advancement is nearly impossible.

These reasons are why the industry has a huge shortage of developer talent. It's a shit ass job.
>>
because who wants to be a nerd LMAO
>>
>>334491746
By then you'll probably have encountered better job offers unless you live in Cali and know someone in the industry.
>>
>>334492309
They've been getting into it lately because they want to shorten their supply chain and be less of a middle man.
>>
>>334492125

this pretty much.

most indie game developer don't make jack shit even to recover their cost.

most go bankrupt after their first game. especially for niche indie game developers. So much for the niche genre gamers screaming for people to pander to them but refuse to support most that do. SMT and RTS faggots come to mind.

and we are not even talking about the mobile games indie developers yet at all.
>>
>>334492347
Its mostly Apple, as pirating on android is even easier than on PC
>>
File: 4GcvLc9.jpg (221 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
4GcvLc9.jpg
221 KB, 700x525
>>334489316
>>
>>334492513
It's because Foxconn has a US controlled defense arm and they don't like it when hostile powers control strategic resources.
>>
>>334488973
>PC isn't leading gaming
>Consoles are leading gaming
fuck off
>>
So I don't feel any quilt at all for pirating. Thanks for confirming it for me.
>>
>>334493085
PC gaming is a very small market and will always stay small in comparison to console gaming. Sorry to break your bubble pcfat.
>>
>>334488973
Because the market is going to right it's self real soon. The normies they couldn't convert into their main demo are going to play match 3 games on their phone and leave the rest of the industry high and dry.

I actually look forward to the industry only being for enthusiasts again. We can get rid of the riff-raff.
>>
>>334493459
Consoles are for tech retarded idiots. So you do have him there. It would make sense more people buy idiot proof machines rather than the later do anything box.
>>
>>334493463
>I actually look forward to the industry only being for enthusiasts again.
>who does not pay anything and pirate everything.

not going to happen. what's going to happen is the the gaming industry will pander to the biggest groups of people who willing to spend money on games.

as it always have been.

as it always will be.

"enthusiasts" like you will always get leftovers.
>>
>>334493951
Right, so pirate everything. Why should Ibuy their crap?
>>
>>334493951
I can already see it happening, anon. People are buying less games and less consoles. The age of the buyers are getting older as well.

Just wait until shit like PS4.5 and Xbone.5 come out, it'll be fucking brilliant. The industry stands upon a precipice, I'll be happy to see it fall off that cliff.
>>
>>334493951
>>334493463
and is that a problem?

what is so bad about triple a games nowadays. you're playing the same games you've played. first person shooters to rpg's to platformers to online multiplayer and now even bigger open worlds.

you liked gta vice city when you were younger? well you got gta 5.

you liked halo when you were younger? well, you got halo 5.

you liked gran turismo 3 when you were younger? well you got forza 6.

you liked deus ex when you were younger? well, now you got mankind divided.

why do you people shit on triple a games? what games do you people even play?
>>
>>334494095

don't buy stuff you don't like.

buy the crap that you like so the people behind it will produce more of that crap.

if a niche show itself to have large purchasing power, especially to games that pander to them, then a lot of devs will start to pander to them.

it's basic capitalism.

If you want something, support it. That's the actual meaning of being an enthusiast about something.
>>
>>334492507
I mean maybe but I love video games so that is definitely a determinant.
>>
>>334491036
they actually arent
i worked there, its pretty chill but you need to work hard everywhere in the industry
people just shit on rockstar because of the RDR shit
>>
>>334494354
I actually don't have a problem with AAA at all, the problem I have is with the industry in general. Despite my years on /v/ I actually love the video games industry and video games in general, I'm just worried the kind of market they're courting; it's not a market that sticks with the industry.

Long-term health of the industry is what I'm into, and while I enjoy a GTA5 and a Mankind Divided(I hope), the annualization of certain titles(IE COD/Madden/Halo) is bloated and has a diminishing return for those companies. This creates unrealistic sales numbers for the publisher(as most of the AAA publishers are publicly owned so are profit-driven.)

It's a dangerous arc for the industry I love. That's why I'm glad that the "core" demo is shrinking, all the growth in the industry is phone games and browser games.
>>
BEcause feminists ruined the gaming workplace

im a dev ask me anything
>>
>>334496767
What do you think of Evaxephon's game Yandere Simulator?
>>
File: 1335203155637.jpg (6 KB, 300x303) Image search: [Google]
1335203155637.jpg
6 KB, 300x303
>>334488973
Game dev studios don't see any of that shit. They get paid like shit for really long hours and all the money goes into publishers pockets.
>>
>>334491036
This is patently false. The only "problem" is all your internet activity is monitored and you get the fuck kicked out of you if you waste your time on social media and other distractions instead of using it for work-related issues.
>>
>>334490082
>don't you want to take risks with your life?
No I don't I have a kid
>>
File: Sporebox.jpg (54 KB, 256x355) Image search: [Google]
Sporebox.jpg
54 KB, 256x355
>>334488973
>>
>>334497458
Your fucked. Get off /v/ learn to fix things
>>
>>334497682
Not him but I actually want to have money as an adult
>>
>>334497937
Then learn to cook meth.
>>
>>334498080
Too hard
Also thank you for reminding me, I need to finish Breaking Bad
>>
>>334497381
Really? I've heard they're in crunch for months at a time, the managers treat their employees like shit, and pay terribly.
>>
>>334488973
>MORE IS BETTER XD
Reddit is that way
Nowadays, the ONLY relevant place where video games come from is Japan. Maybe Europe, specifically Eastern Europe, if you're into autistic shooters.

Can you name me ONE AAA game that is genuinely original and good and doesn't market itself to the broadest possible demographic by having
>an open world
>a gruff man straight out of a summer blockbuster as the protagonist
>not based around a mission structure
>not a third person shooter
>no BamHam combat system (mash buttons until prompts appear)
I probably could add more, but I can't think of any right now
>>
>>334498585
>good original games aren't allowed to marketed broadly

surely you would want a good game to be bought a lot
>>
>>334498585
originality does not equal GOOD.

it's how well you manage to make your mechanics work.

forza 6 is a great triple a game that comes to mind. halo 5 and sunset overdrive as well.
>>
File: 0gVNYSz.jpg (106 KB, 578x712) Image search: [Google]
0gVNYSz.jpg
106 KB, 578x712
>>334499178
>>
File: 1433609349196.png (238 KB, 491x491) Image search: [Google]
1433609349196.png
238 KB, 491x491
>>334499138
>>good original games aren't allowed to marketed broadly
Well considering you're using tropes to pad out your game with fluff that has no meat to it, you're not being original by using them.
>>334499178
>originality does not equal GOOD
Well that certainly is the mindset of people with low standards. Sure, I'd love another boring 2D Mario. Or what better than a 3DS game on the full screen WITH ALMOST NO DIFFERENCE! FUCK GIMMICKS AND ORIGINALITY, IT'S ABOUT QUALITY!
>forza 6 is a great triple a game that comes to mind. halo 5 and sunset overdrive as well.
Hmmm, that smells like something, but I can't put my jew nose on it
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw
Video related
>>
>>334499441
>>334499546
Forza 6 is a well-made fucking simcade. Does it make it bad that it's not some ENTIRELY NEW GENRE? No. It's an exceptional game because of how good the mechanics and fucking gameplay are. And it's sold extremely well to boot.
>>
>>334488973
That's not a lot of money comparatively speaking
>>
I'm trying out here!
https://youtu.be/xr_RDKrd-II

Come support fellow nerd
>>
>>334499546
>Well considering you're using tropes to pad out your game with fluff that has no meat to it, you're not being original by using them.

that post doesn't describe the game creativly, just that this hypothetical game would be good

>>334499546
>Well that certainly is the mindset of people with low standards.

a concept being original or unique does not make it automatically good. it needs to be fun and/or inovative to actually be good
>>
File: 2.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
>>334500000
Don't care, but nice quints
>>
>>334488973
shit hours, shit benefits, shit pay, no creative control whatsoever
also you'd have to make DLC
>>
>>334500210
>a concept being original or unique does not make it automatically good
Right, but being stuck in a fucking generic setting with generic gameplay isn't good either since there's no escape from that

I'm not saying don't use GENRES, like Okami for example is an original game, but it's an Action Adventure game like Zelda.
I'm saying not making some shitty game like Shadow of Mordor and calling it "good" because it has some Skyrim shit for infinity play time. It's boring and derivative and having ONE good feature that's a small part of the game doesn't mean your whole game is good.
>>
>>334500219
what about the film industry?
>>
>>334500846
Corrupt, Morally and creative bankrupt cunts with an agenda
>>
>>334488973
>You can just bust your way into a studio like Naughty Dog, EA, Activision, Rockstar, etc. same with film.

this is the most retarded shit ive heard all week. getting into a studio required a portfolio of like a minimum of 5 years work, with both vidya and film. and you've gotta accept a role where you will do nothing creativly and be paided just above minimum wage
>>
>>334501207
it's not that fucking bad. It's just entertainment, man. what about wall street or this guy's field? >>334489310
>>
>>334501709
I'd rather shave my ass than watch any movie playing the theaters
>>
>>334501840
You didn't see Sicario, Birdman, or Mad Max?
>>
>>334501840
So....does that mean you do or don't want to go to the movies?
>>
File: Kaijewe.jpg (505 KB, 1000x944) Image search: [Google]
Kaijewe.jpg
505 KB, 1000x944
>>334501840
Zootopia kicked ass.
And that new Godzilla movie looks incredible.
>>
>>334502753
this right here. there's lots of great movies coming out. people are just too cynical and spout doom and gloom all the time here. stop being such a debbie-fucking-downer, bro. >>334501840
>>
>>334491293
>EA being afraid of Wu
>EA being afraid of a single digit million lawsuit
grow up.
>>
File: History of EA.png (137 KB, 1381x1231) Image search: [Google]
History of EA.png
137 KB, 1381x1231
>>334503636
this
>>
>>334491293
I'm not a game industry insider but I have read often that EA is a good Employer.

>>334493085
Pc gaming is awesome for E-sport and certain genre but it lost its importance for the AAA branch (expect Germany and Austria).
>>
File: 1351680534286.jpg (27 KB, 340x300) Image search: [Google]
1351680534286.jpg
27 KB, 340x300
>>334505007
>EA is a good Employer.
>EA
>good employer
>>
File: double-thumbs-up[1].jpg (68 KB, 735x490) Image search: [Google]
double-thumbs-up[1].jpg
68 KB, 735x490
>>334505119
nice post
>>
File: 1443932729961.png (75 KB, 500x540) Image search: [Google]
1443932729961.png
75 KB, 500x540
>>334505641
>>334504263
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.