[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Iudex Gundyr the best tutorial boss in a Souls game to date?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Iudex_Gundyr.jpg (119 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Iudex_Gundyr.jpg
119 KB, 960x540
Is Iudex Gundyr the best tutorial boss in a Souls game to date?
>>
>this boss was hard
>nuh uh this one
There, saved you a thread.
>>
>>334475308
No, the wolf in Iosefka's clinic is
>>
File: 1365992022827.jpg (85 KB, 283x279) Image search: [Google]
1365992022827.jpg
85 KB, 283x279
>Mechanically, yes.
He has varied attacks that pose a small challenge for new players. Decent AI in first stage. Second stage is interesting and a new change for a Souls game. He isn't just another giant demon.

>Series wise, no.
I found him to be easy when you learn his moves, and second form is a joke. I was disappointing that the first boss wasn't the traditional "fuck you" boss, like DaS and DeS. It reminded me of DS2, where there was no tutorial boss.
>>
Father.G is better, and yes father G was the first boss most of the time.
>>
It really didn't say "welcome to Dark Souls fgt" to me.
>>
>>334475308
Yes.

The Tutorial boss in DeS is designed to kill a first time player unfamiliar with the controls, it does a lot of damage and has a relatively large health pool, if you've not played a souls game before it will be a challenge to defeat and you only get one attempt. If you have played a souls game before it's actually too easy because the windup is so slow, there's a reason Vanguard shows up as a miniboss later on instead of a fully formed actual boss, it just doesn't have the chops for it. This boss teaches the player nothing in specific other than the consequences of death because you only get one attempt in the tutorial.

The Tutorial boss in DaS is basically a slightly more lenient version of vanguard and it ultimately fails to teach the player anything of note mechanically. It introduces the player to the lateral thinking required to really succeed at the game on their own (look for a door rather than fighting the boss) and it teaches the player the basic skill to either block or use I-frames or spacing when attacked which remain usable all the way through the base game for the most part. The moveset of Asylum Demon is limited, he actually has less moves and is more predictable than even basic enemies in the game so the player is more inclined to just tank through and cheese the boss than actually learn a varied moveset, as a result the boss feels tacked on an irrelevant, more like an obstacle than an opponent. Vanguard suffers from this too because, let's be honest, they're the same boss.

DaS2 and BB don't have tutorial bosses so they don't count.

cont.
>>
>>334475657
Miniboss =/= boss
>>
>>334476212
>This boss teaches the player nothing in specific other than the consequences of death because you only get one attempt in the tutorial.

this, plus it sets up the story nicely, actually gives a reason for the player respawning on death other than DUDE UNDEAD LMAO
>>
>>334476212
cont.

Iudex Gundyr is the only tutorial boss that feels fully formed in his own right. He has a unique moveset that trains the player in the core mechanics that will be expected of them later but his moves are heavily telegraphed to allow a new player to actually learn the controls. His difficult starts off as a normal fight but unexpectedly ramps up, teaching the player to think on the fly and how to deal with pace and moveset changes (as well as how fucking dumb the camera is and how to work around it). If the player is exceptionally thorough in the tutorial area this boss even teaches the player about elemental weakness and use of items, Gundyr is weak to fire and the tutorial gives you firebombs, teaching the player to a) use items, b) experiment and c) think smarter.

In short this is a tutorial boss that actually feels like a boss, merely one who happens to be weak, relatively slow for most of the battle and in an early location. In every way that a tutorial boss must succeed Iudex Gundyr passes with flying colours. It's by far better than either tutorial boss that came before it.

>>334476280

It really doesn't, the explanation in DeS is DUDE NEXUS LMAO, the nexus has trapped your soul after death, why is this better than in DaS where the player character is in a functionally similar state of perpetual undeath. There's no functional difference story wise.
>>
Oh boy here come the autists
>>
>>334476450
He also fucks with the expectations of veteran souls players. No one that has played previous entries would expect the tutorial boss to go full Resident Evil on you.
>>
>>334476212
>Asylum ultimately fails to teach the player anything of note mechanically.
>it teaches the player the basic skill to either block or use I-frames or spacing when attacked which remain usable all the way through the base game for the most part.

Are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>334476450
Asylum Demon is also weak to fire and you have the possibillity of starting with fire bombs in DaS.
>>
>>334476821
>he can't read more than one sentence at a time

it doesn't matter in the long run because the purposely gimped moveset of the asylum demon is so slow as to be irrelevant.

As someone who started on DaS1 like a filthy pleb, I learnt more from Taurus than I ever did from Asylum because Taurus actually has a varied response to the players actions and a boss arena that promotes player agency and pre-planning, core features of the game.

Asylum has none of this, hence while it does teach the player basic skill, none of it is "of note mechanically" as I originally said.

>>334476981

This isn't the same as being given firebombs in the starting area, you're guaranteed to have firebombs against Iudex but not against Asylum, for that matter the pyromancer starts with 8 free firebomb equivalents but I don't count this as a part of the teaching process because it's not a fair requirement for every class.

In DaS3 if you're a knight or a thief or a herald or a pyromancer the game gives you the opportunity to experiment and notice elemental differences, this doesn't exist in DaS1 because the game locks it behind an optional choice (especially one that a new player might be inclined to think is very important and therefore not lock themselves into)
>>
>>334475693
I literally just spammed R1 on his back with no issues, it's a garbage boss fight.

Looks cool though.
>>
>>334477205
>Asylum has none of this, hence while it does teach the player basic skill, none of it is "of note mechanically" as I originally said.

In fact arguably even this much is untrue, it's certainly plausible to just face tank Asylum and estus through any damage because of how slow he is. Much of how to roll and block is reinforced more in the burg than it ever is by Asylum Demon himself.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.